PDA

View Full Version : feeling smug when....

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 03:07 AM
My friend popped round with her superlong clip in extensions and my homegrown was still longer :D

Sarahlabyrinth
November 15th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Haha, that would make me feel pretty smug too, DragonAngel! So how long were her extensions?

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Haha, that would make me feel pretty smug too, DragonAngel! So how long were her extensions?

hahaha I did ponder on whether to start this thread as I felt it portrayed me as conceited but I just had to share hahaha.... Her extensions were at about hip length and my hair is almost tailbone, and yes I did take the piss and we laughed. :D

vega
November 15th, 2014, 03:30 AM
Haha that's so funnu

Verdandi
November 15th, 2014, 05:13 AM
I can imagine that feeling great! :cool: My sister put in extensions a few months back, and she was really frustrated when my hair was longer anyway.

Dreams_in_Pink
November 15th, 2014, 07:44 AM
That's awesome :) I also have clip-ins myself but cannot use them anymore because my own hair's gotten longer and it makes no difference! :D feels good! :cool:

Eastbound&Down
November 15th, 2014, 10:11 AM
That must be an awesome feeling :)

Majorane
November 15th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Hah! Home-grown goodness trumphs store-bought uet again, as is often the case! Whoop for you. :cheer:

jacqueline101
November 15th, 2014, 11:54 AM
That's great to hear real triumph over fake. It goes to show we are on the winning team us who grow the real deal.

LauraLongLocks
November 15th, 2014, 12:06 PM
What fun! I wonder if there are extensions longer than my hair...

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 01:10 PM
haha yes my sis and I were neck and neck for ages with our lengths but she bailed and got hers chopped hahh !!

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 01:14 PM
What fun! I wonder if there are extensions longer than my hair...

I have seen lots of girls in clubs with clip in extensions and tbh most look ok-ish but feel horrible. The sort of lengths we have in TLHC are beyond a realistic look for a clip-ins anyway, if a girl had long enough hair to blend into ultra long clip-ins she prob wouldnt bother with them in the first place. :)

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Hah! Home-grown goodness trumphs store-bought uet again, as is often the case! Whoop for you. :cheer:

damn right !!! haha

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 01:18 PM
That's great to hear real triumph over fake. It goes to show we are on the winning team us who grow the real deal.

haha indeed yes, I have even had girls say "oh love your hair is that extensions? " I even had the manager of a hair salon ( i know shock horror, it was a trim a year ago ) ask me if it was all real too !!!?

spidermom
November 15th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Fun! I bought a couple of long hair wigs when I was growing out my hair. At BSL, they were quite a bit longer than my collar-bone length hair. Now they're short hair wigs to me.

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Fun! I bought a couple of long hair wigs when I was growing out my hair. At BSL, they were quite a bit longer than my collar-bone length hair. Now they're short hair wigs to me.

oh me too I had this horrible long nylon thing that I thought was fab at the time but omg do you get soooo hot in them .

jacqueline101
November 15th, 2014, 02:24 PM
haha indeed yes, I have even had girls say "oh love your hair is that extensions? " I even had the manager of a hair salon ( i know shock horror, it was a trim a year ago ) ask me if it was all real too !!!?

I would have said yes my hair is real. I intend to keep it real no extensions for me.

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I would have said yes my hair is real. I intend to keep it real no extensions for me.

haha I think they are used to people who mistreat their hair so it is a bit of a surprise when they meet someone like us.

lapushka
November 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Why is it always long hair of one's own that is gross and essentially putting another person's hair on your head (extensions) is perfectly fine. Explain that to me. :confused: :lol:

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Why is it always long hair of one's own that is gross and essentially putting another person's hair on your head (extensions) is perfectly fine. Explain that to me. :confused: :lol:

eh whaaaat ? :( someone said your long locks were gross ?

lapushka
November 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM
eh whaaaat ? :( someone said your long locks were gross ?

Generally speaking, sometimes it is said long hair is "gross". Just to compare to extension wearers, who put someone else's hair on their head. Who's gross now? ;)

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Generally speaking, sometimes it is said long hair is "gross". Just to compare to extension wearers, who put someone else's hair on their head. Who's gross now? ;)

oh absolutely annnnnnd half the time those extensions are left on a floor after a night out and never washed either ! I mean when you think about all the sweat and germs from those busy pubs and clubs in those clip-ins it kinda makes you itch, lol. :confused:

LongHairLesbian
November 15th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Honestly, I think it's a classist thing. I work at a bank, and I'm always noticing people's hair, as I'm sure many of us do. :) When I work shifts in a mixed to low income area near my home, I am much more likely to see long, natural/self-styled lengths than when I work in the affluent area on the other side of our region. At one of the banks in the mixed to low income area, two of the bankers have BCL-Tailbone hair, and another older lady has Waist+. It's not uncommon to see customers, of all ages and genders, with hair that is long by LHC standards on a regular basis. But in the affluent area, nearly every woman above the teenaged years has short-medium, styled hair. Usually coloured as well. Their shorter, styled hair shows that they have the wealth and free time to pay someone anywhere from 50-200 dollars every 8 weeks to maintain their style, and often colour as well. It is a sign that you are well-off, well groomed, and "done". Hair that is naturally very long tends to show that you don't visit the salon regularly, and that means you are poor, un-groomed, and "gross". But if your hair is long because of extensions, that means you are spending a butt-load of money and time on your length, and therefore you are magically well-groomed and "done" again! It's all classism. A working class person with naturally long hair, or with cheap, obvious clip in extensions is "gross", but a well off person with good quality clip ins or professionally installed extensions is "taking good care of themselves". :disgust: I agree that it's ridiculous. Where do they think those extensions came from? Those yucky, poor, "un-groomed" women society likes to vilify so much.

lapushka
November 15th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Honestly, I think it's a classist thing. I work at a bank, and I'm always noticing people's hair, as I'm sure many of us do. :) When I work shifts in a mixed to low income area near my home, I am much more likely to see long, natural/self-styled lengths than when I work in the affluent area on the other side of our region. At one of the banks in the mixed to low income area, two of the bankers have BCL-Tailbone hair, and another older lady has Waist+. It's not uncommon to see customers, of all ages and genders, with hair that is long by LHC standards on a regular basis. But in the affluent area, nearly every woman above the teenaged years has short-medium, styled hair. Usually coloured as well. Their shorter, styled hair shows that they have the wealth and free time to pay someone anywhere from 50-200 dollars every 8 weeks to maintain their style, and often colour as well. It is a sign that you are well-off, well groomed, and "done". Hair that is naturally very long tends to show that you don't visit the salon regularly, and that means you are poor, un-groomed, and "gross". But if your hair is long because of extensions, that means you are spending a butt-load of money and time on your length, and therefore you are magically well-groomed and "done" again! It's all classism. A working class person with naturally long hair, or with cheap, obvious clip in extensions is "gross", but a well off person with good quality clip ins or professionally installed extensions is "taking good care of themselves". :disgust: I agree that it's ridiculous. Where do they think those extensions came from? Those yucky, poor, "un-groomed" women society likes to vilify so much.

Very nice explanation. Thanks. :)

DragonAngel
November 15th, 2014, 05:31 PM

I think its a bit different over here in the UK but even so I would be happy to look poor since I abhor classism.
When you tailor your body and image to fit into a fashion or pier pressure a part of your true soul cries and dies.

LongHairLesbian
November 15th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Very nice explanation. Thanks. :)

You're welcome, glad my ramblings were decent to read, haha. :) How are things different in the UK, DragonAngel? Just curious. I'll admit that extensions don't seem to be too popular where I live. I only know one person that uses them, and that's because she likes to have a completely different look every year or so, and growing out 4C hair is a long term commitment.

vega
November 16th, 2014, 03:06 AM

So true lapushka don't get why extensions are aceptable over long hair

DragonAngel
November 16th, 2014, 03:23 AM
You're welcome, glad my ramblings were decent to read, haha. :) How are things different in the UK, DragonAngel? Just curious. I'll admit that extensions don't seem to be too popular where I live. I only know one person that uses them, and that's because she likes to have a completely different look every year or so, and growing out 4C hair is a long term commitment.

Extensions over here tend to be (from my point of view) the younger, night clubby fashionista's who trowel on the make-up and the false lashes, clip-in the hair, slip on the 6" stilletto's and totter into town for a night out after a few 'cheaper drinks' at home with friends. I will probably get flamed for this statement now lol.

Paranda Belle
November 16th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Extensions over here tend to be (from my point of view) the younger, night clubby fashionista's who trowel on the make-up and the false lashes, clip-in the hair, slip on the 6" stilletto's and totter into town for a night out after a few 'cheaper drinks' at home with friends. I will probably get flamed for this statement now lol.

I'd say that's true. But "natural long hair", ie. bsl regularly heat styled, like Kate Middleton, Andy Murray's girlfriend and the cast of Made in Chelsea is more of an upper class money thing.

DragonAngel
November 16th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I'd say that's true. But "natural long hair", ie. bsl regularly heat styled, like Kate Middleton, Andy Murray's girlfriend and the cast of Made in Chelsea is more of an upper class money thing.

Oh ok, well even if I won the lottery I wouldn't be cutting mine and besides money does not buy one class dear ;)

jacqueline101
November 16th, 2014, 06:11 AM
haha I think they are used to people who mistreat their hair so it is a bit of a surprise when they meet someone like us.

That's true in the United States. I was at the store this summer and a cashier told she liked my extensions. I'm like extensions my hair is real. I'm like why would you say that she's like it's in great shape.

DragonAngel
November 16th, 2014, 09:28 AM
That's true in the United States. I was at the store this summer and a cashier told she liked my extensions. I'm like extensions my hair is real. I'm like why would you say that she's like it's in great shape.

yes and I am still not sure whether to be complimented or offended :confused:

jacqueline101
November 16th, 2014, 09:45 AM
yes and I am still not sure whether to be complimented or offended :confused:

I took it as a compliment and hoped it was.

DragonAngel
November 16th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I took it as a compliment and hoped it was.

:D yes I probably would too but it does irk a bit even so.

jacqueline101
November 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM
:D yes I probably would too but it does irk a bit even so.

Yes it's irritating and so is this one rude guy that shops on Saturday. I wear my hair bag and he asked what it was as he put it "the contraption on my head". Damien spoke up said it's a hair bag we make them and they're great and 20.00's well make you one. The rude shopper was quiet and stopped bugging me after that.

DragonAngel
November 16th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Yes it's irritating and so is this one rude guy that shops on Saturday. I wear my hair bag and he asked what it was as he put it "the contraption on my head". Damien spoke up said it's a hair bag we make them and they're great and 20.00's well make you one. The rude shopper was quiet and stopped bugging me after that.

omg how bloody rude ?!!

jacqueline101
November 16th, 2014, 03:46 PM
omg how bloody rude ?!!

He sure was rude. My brother Damien fixed him good. He won't look at us.

chen bao jun
November 17th, 2014, 09:02 PM
It's a compliment nowadays, definitely. People nowadays assume that if it looks good, its fake. As a person who has never had hair long enough for people to think it was extensions, I know I would be more complimented than insulted by someone thinking that. My sister in law did check me for tracks last winter but that was because of the texture, not the length. Used not to be a big deal at all, since everybody was straightened and nobody could tell, but now that the black community is going 'natural'. type 3 is suddenly a desired hair type, so people fake it (and so what, really) but she felt the need to check if mine was really the texture that it is or if I was hiding my real hair and had put in extensions that just looked like type 3. Yeah, like I'd bother to put in shoulder length extensions... (which is the length my hair looks like), lots of money for nothing...Never had that done (and I'm not going to, my mom was literally bald from them, no thanks).
Her husband has type 1b or c hair, and her daughter has type 3, and she's a wonderful woman but very WIERD and competitive on that one subject.

DragonAngel
December 7th, 2014, 07:20 AM
I have just managed to tie figure eight knots in my pigtails :joy::happydance: sounds silly but always wanted to be able to tie my hair like a rope.

CaranDulin
December 7th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I have just managed to tie figure eight knots in my pigtails :joy::happydance: sounds silly but always wanted to be able to tie my hair like a rope.

That's really cute, haha!

And yep, people don't ask if I have extensions any more, now that I'm growing out my dye - They probably think, "if she can't afford to touch up her roots, she probably can't afford extensions". :laugh:

LauraLongLocks
December 7th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I feel smug when I finish brushing my hair out and it gleams with shine. I love it!

Edit: I forgot what this thread was about, so I just took a detour, sorry. Haha! I do love the way my hair shines when I brush it though, lol.

DragonAngel
December 7th, 2014, 08:47 AM
That's really cute, haha!

And yep, people don't ask if I have extensions any more, now that I'm growing out my dye - They probably think, "if she can't afford to touch up her roots, she probably can't afford extensions". :laugh:

oh gosh you are braver than me lol, I wouldnt let my grey loose, well not for a a good decade or two yet lol