PDA

View Full Version : Water Only Method. Did I stop too soon?

Soullurre
November 14th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Hi, I'm back again and was experimenting. I wanted to try out the water only method of just using nothing but water no hair products. I did this for 1 month and 14 days. My hair at the sides started filling in and my hair was getting thicker. So thick my rattail comb was a pain in the butt. I'm still on my journey so I'm 3 months into hair growth so it's still short. Too short to do anything with. So it always mashes together and annoys me. I guess that's part of my hair texture. Well by the 1 month and 14 day Mark I was getting discouraged and upset cus it was getting difficult to detangle. I had to wet my hair just to get the comb through but it's fall season going into Winter, so wetting my hair a lot makes me easily get a headache or stuffy nose, etc.

So I stopped and listened to my mother and applied hair grease to my scalp and hair and omg within 24 hours my scalp was itchy, a little sore, and just greasy. I washed my hair with castille soap several times trying to get the grease out and my hair was still greasy and gross. I got sulfate shampoo and tried to get it out and it worked but I didn't want the sulfate to irritate my scalp later so I got a bar of soap and washed it all out again. Now my hair is super clean and I combed it til it dried.

I feel defeated. Did I mess up my hair now? Should I stuck with the water only method and the problem was just the comb? Or was wetting my hair a lot making it harder to detangle my afro hair? How long does it take for the hair to adjust to water only method? Is using a bar of soap or castille soap defeating it all? I need some help. I want to be able to comb my hair dry cus wetting it makes me get sick.

McFearless
November 14th, 2014, 10:17 PM
I don't think you messed up your hair but you removed all the sebum that coated and protected it so you'll have to restart the WO method. You could try making a few adjustments before giving up on it like styling your hair into protective little twists or braids immediately after washing it to prevent tangling and only using your fingers to comb between washes. Brushing/combing dry hair is very difficult and causes breakage for me personally so I'm inclined to think it causes your issue as well.

Soullurre
November 15th, 2014, 02:28 AM
My hair is only 1 and a half inches. I can't braid it or put it into any protective style.

lapushka
November 15th, 2014, 04:15 PM
First of all, with tightly curly hair? I'd stop using a rat-tail comb on it. That's a fine comb for primping and preening, not for combing such thick of a texture. Try a wide tooth comb or Tangle Teezer. Second of all... you keep listening to your mother, don't you? ;) With bad results every time. :) :lol: No just kidding, honestly, try and do WO all over again. It seems something your scalp is not reacting to badly, so, go for it.

McFearless
November 15th, 2014, 04:25 PM
My hair is only 1 and a half inches. I can't braid it or put it into any protective style.

Thanks for the clarification. Well there isn't much to do at that stage. A silk pillowcase/cap at night can help a bit and maybe scarves sometimes when you leave the house if dust contributes to your tangling.

Soullurre
November 16th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Thank you both. I think that was the issue, lol. Not tying it up to keep it from tangling. I do sleep with a silk pillowcase but I'm a wild sleeper. I'll get a silk scarf too.

YvetteVarie
November 17th, 2014, 12:41 AM
I agree with Lapushka about the comb. A wide tooth comb might be better for you to use at this stage.