PDA

View Full Version : Curly haired people - I need help for my BF's hair :P

bunnii
September 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
OK so my BF has curly hair I think it's about a 3a/M/ii.

His rountine is S+C shampoo on the scalp only and condition all over he's started to use coconut oil as a leave in and it looks gorgeous, that is until he brushes it which gives him frizzy straggly bits with the lovely curls underneath. Here's the best picture I can find.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff22/dolly_goth/DSC00441.jpg

As you can see the brush has given him more wavey hair, so my question is this - What can he use in his hair to stop the curls being pulled out and leaving it all frizzy?

eyesofsummer
September 26th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Have him not brush his hair once it's dry--just comb it with a wide-toothed comb (or fingers) in the shower while there's conditioner in it. Once it's dry, a brush will disrupt the curl and make frizzies!

girlcat36
September 26th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Some curlies have good luck with baking soda rinses instead of shampoo. My hair really likes baking soda. It doesn't seem to get as good reviews for straight hair.

sky
September 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Curly hair really, really insists upon being listened to! :p

It is tellling him to ditch the brush. Fingers or a wide-toothed comb are all his hair is going to accept.

And the shampoo might be too much for it as well. He might want to try Conditioner Only and see how it works. He uses conditioner just as he would use shampoo.

Once he begins to believe his hair is in the driver's seat and he starts to pay closer attention to what it likes and doesn't like, he'll have much better luck.

For lots of good tips on how to handle curly hair, check out www.Jessicurl.com. And great product, too!

HTH

;)

Pegasus Marsters
September 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Ditch the brush! Lots and lots of conditioner, less shampoo. My ex's hair looked something like that when I met him. By the time we split up he had gorgeous, well defined curls. All thanks to my amazingness of course ;) (Gosh I'm modest! :lol: )

Speckla
September 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Curls and brushes don't like each other. Finger detangle or use a wide-tooth comb after applying a lot of conditioner. Don't touch it while it's drying.
________
Toyota Carina Ed (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Carina_ED)

PeaceWithTrees
September 26th, 2008, 06:23 PM
It's probably best that he just dosnt brush his hair. I find that fingers are the best tool when it comes to detangling the occasional knot.

And honestly, cury hair isnt the type of hair to be able to "run ones fingers through". If he wants to be able to do that with it not looking frizzy with curly hair underneath, he should brush it out section by section, which will leave his hair perhaps not looking perfectly smooth like his defined curls look like, but it makes is very full and thick looking with a soft feel and look to it and he can run his fingers through it. For the occasional knot, he should just take the lock or locks that are tangled, and run his fingers through it, first starting with the ends , and gradually detangling while then moving his way up the hair.

Fillette
September 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I agree with most people here. Tell him NOT to brush it anymore. Comb or finger-comb only!
He has really nice hair :)

missbexy
September 27th, 2008, 03:33 AM
My boyfriend also has alot of long curls, I'd definately advise keeping with the coconut oil and then combing with wide tooth comb while hair is damp. My bf combs his straight back then basically shakes his head a lot to get it to fall into place, carefully move any wayward strands and don't touch for the rest of day. If we even find anything that helps anymore i'll let you know. :)
Hope that helped a little

Katze
September 27th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I just posted what my BF is doing for his hair in this thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12776

Where another curly haired guy is asking the very same questions you are, and he seems to be your BF's hair twin! Maybe you should get them together...

bunnii
September 27th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Thanks for all your advice, he's just washing it now, i'll get him to finger comb it to keep his curls. I forgot to mention in my first post that he normally keeps it up for work, he doesn't have to but it gets in the way if he doesn't. but i'm guessing a comb would work well to get his hair up tidily.

harley mama
September 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I agree with everyone else that has already suggested tis- ditch the brush. No combing or brushing after hair is dry. My hair loves CO washing and oil. I use SSO or coconut oil to help control the frizz. But, getting rid of the brush made my curl the happiest!:D

bunnii
September 27th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I forgot to add he tried COing and didn't like it, he refuses to try again lol. He is quite stubborn but so far hasn't touched the brush after washing :cheese:

Fillette - thank you! he's all happy now :)