PDA

View Full Version : How long..

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 07:13 PM
How long do you guys think it will take for me to get from where I am now, to hip? (there's a pic of my hair on my profile) Hip is my goal right now.
I ask because I'm bored..and also because..well, it would be nice to know! ;)

neko_kawaii
November 13th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Do you know how fast your hair grows on average?

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Do you know how fast your hair grows on average?

To be honest I've never payed attention to it. But I'd say my hair grows about 1/2 inch every month. More or less.
It varies!
(Thanks for such a fast reply~)

MsPharaohMoan
November 13th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Depends. No less than a year I'd say to be sure, but you might get damage or trims and that could always affect results. Watch your growth using that t-shirt (measure the stripes). As you grow you'll be able to detect your average monthly rate. :)

Avis
November 13th, 2014, 07:37 PM
I would measure your hair now, where hip is for you and then assume that if your growth is about 1/2 an inch a month, you'll get about 6" every year. Hopefully that's something you can do. If you don't have a tape measure, you could do what I did and get a shoe lace and use it like a tape measure. :laugh:

I'm guestimating about 3 years for you maybe? That is, if you reach hip and LHC hasn't convinced you that classic or longer would be better.

ZeppHead
November 13th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Also depends on your body...like if you have a long torso and such because everyone is different. Do you have a trim plan or only as needed? Take that into account too. Half an inch a month is about average growth and it looks as though your shoulder now. For me it took about 3 years to get to shoulder to waist for me but I did trim regularly because I was coloring my hair and had damage. Now that I no longer color my hair is relatively healthy and can get away with trimming less. I expect to reach hip in a year. If you don't color or use heat and your hair is healthy and growing well it may take less than my rate of growth. From shoulder to bsl seems fast because you see the growth bsl to waist is ughh agonizing because it never looks like its growing then bam "what? Am I waist? " You have a few years ahead of you. Take care of the hair you have now cuz you'll have it a long time. Good luck and have fun try not to think about it too much! Take progress pictures every 6 months it'll be fun to look back on.

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Also depends on your body...like if you have a long torso and such because everyone is different. Do you have a trim plan or only as needed? Take that into account too. Half an inch a month is about average growth and it looks as though your shoulder now. For me it took about 3 years to get to shoulder to waist for me but I did trim regularly because I was coloring my hair and had damage. Now that I no longer color my hair is relatively healthy and can get away with trimming less. I expect to reach hip in a year. If you don't color or use heat and your hair is healthy and growing well it may take less than my rate of growth. From shoulder to bsl seems fast because you see the growth bsl to waist is ughh agonizing because it never looks like its growing then bam "what? Am I waist? " You have a few years ahead of you. Take care of the hair you have now cuz you'll have it a long time. Good luck and have fun try not to think about it too much! Take progress pictures every 6 months it'll be fun to look back on.
I've never had a trim plan.. Mainly because my family doesn't think you need trims more often than every 3 years. It's a special event for us really. So, I wonder if it would go by faster since I basically never get trims?
I also just got my hair cut a couple days ago so it could be sort of evened out. It's currently 18 inches long (I just measured.)
I will definitely try to wear it up more, sadly the only 'do' I can manage is twisting my hair a bit then claw-clipping it up.
I think the length I am currently looking forward to is armpit length. My hair has only been that long once in my life!
I plan to never dye, use heating tools, or cutting my hair shorter than shoulder ever again! :)

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Depends. No less than a year I'd say to be sure, but you might get damage or trims and that could always affect results. Watch your growth using that t-shirt (measure the stripes). As you grow you'll be able to detect your average monthly rate. :)

Wow, that makes me happy haha. And I plan on treating my hair like a newborn baby so to speak haha c:
And that's a good idea! I would do that now but I'm lazy :couch:

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I would measure your hair now, where hip is for you and then assume that if your growth is about 1/2 an inch a month, you'll get about 6" every year. Hopefully that's something you can do. If you don't have a tape measure, you could do what I did and get a shoe lace and use it like a tape measure. :laugh:

I'm guestimating about 3 years for you maybe? That is, if you reach hip and LHC hasn't convinced you that classic or longer would be better.

My hair is at a solid 18 inches. And if it grew down to my tailbone, it would be 35-36 inches long. And hm, 3 years seems about right. I hope it will go by fast! :thud:

alishaxmarie
November 13th, 2014, 08:39 PM
LHC hates me and refused to submit my post or take me to the advanced poster so I could see if it was automatically saved -_-
Anyways, I was trying to say that users consider hip length to be in different places so the time will depend on your personal preferences. Some consider hip length to be where the top of the hip bones reach on your back which is usually within a few inches of waist. Others consider hip length to be where their hip bones stick out on the front side of their body.
Secondly, I was going to suggest that you buy yourself a pair of scissors for S&D-ing. They're under $10 at Walmart, Walgreens, and probably Target and other pharmacies as well so they aren't expensive, especially not in the long run. If you don't S&D at the very least, your splits will travel up and then break off and then form into a new split. Meanwhile, your split ends will catch on healthy ends as you detangle your hair, causing even more damage. Damaged hair = hair that doesn't grow its longest or prettiest. I was stuck at BSL for years because whenever I was able to get a trim, I would ask that the stylist only take off the damaged ends, leaving me in a cycle of hacking and growing since my family is like yours and doesn't have money to waste on unnecessary things like that. In fact, as a child, my mom would cut my hair with the kitchen scissors! Luckily, I have no horror stories from Mom-cutting-hair experiences like many other LHC-ers do lol.

hennalonghair
November 13th, 2014, 08:55 PM
It depends how tall you are. Measure where your hair is now, measure where TBL is and do the math. I'd say it will take between 3 and 4 years. That's 18 to 24 inches of growth.
Subtract needed trims , and you should make it there.
Just remember that healthy hair is more flattering than long hair.bIf you end up with both.... Great!

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 09:03 PM
It depends how tall you are. Measure where your hair is now, measure where TBL is and do the math. I'd say it will take between 3 and 4 years. That's 18 to 24 inches of growth.
Subtract needed trims , and you should make it there.
Just remember that healthy hair is more flattering than long hair.bIf you end up with both.... Great!

Exactly!! I'm trying to give it as much love and care as I can.

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 09:07 PM
LHC hates me and refused to submit my post or take me to the advanced poster so I could see if it was automatically saved -_-
Anyways, I was trying to say that users consider hip length to be in different places so the time will depend on your personal preferences. Some consider hip length to be where the top of the hip bones reach on your back which is usually within a few inches of waist. Others consider hip length to be where their hip bones stick out on the front side of their body.
Secondly, I was going to suggest that you buy yourself a pair of scissors for S&D-ing. They're under $10 at Walmart, Walgreens, and probably Target and other pharmacies as well so they aren't expensive, especially not in the long run. If you don't S&D at the very least, your splits will travel up and then break off and then form into a new split. Meanwhile, your split ends will catch on healthy ends as you detangle your hair, causing even more damage. Damaged hair = hair that doesn't grow its longest or prettiest. I was stuck at BSL for years because whenever I was able to get a trim, I would ask that the stylist only take off the damaged ends, leaving me in a cycle of hacking and growing since my family is like yours and doesn't have money to waste on unnecessary things like that. In fact, as a child, my mom would cut my hair with the kitchen scissors! Luckily, I have no horror stories from Mom-cutting-hair experiences like many other LHC-ers do lol.
The way I measured was just take my measuring tape, measure my hair length now(18 in) then take it all the way down to my tailbone, which is above my butt.(35 1/2 in)
Oh gosh yes, I remember my grandma using kitchen scissors as well, AND they were the ones with the teeth on them! shudder:
I have some Sally's scissors and tried search and destroying before but just f-ed up my hair even more!
Do you any tips, or maybe a video or article showing how to do it right? :soapbox:

alishaxmarie
November 13th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I barely ever do it since I'm lazy but I literally just look at my ends, usually in sunlight or over something white/light like my laptop screen so that I can see the splits better, and then snip only the hairs with split ends. Some peeps will twist sections of their hair so that hairs will stick out randomly and then they'll trim whichever ones are split, I did that tonight and sometimes I'll do the same thing with braids, especially once they've gotten fuzzy.

Your hair may be too short for any of that now though so I would just keep doing the peacock twist with the claw clip to protect the ends and pre-wash oilings if your hair likes them as well as maybe investing in a silk/satin sleep cap for extra protection at night (there are cheap ones at Walmart with the African hair stuffs, there are also better ones out there but they're retardedly expensive). If I had started with shorter hair, I think it would be much easier to experiment with different washing methods (shampoo bars, Indian herbs, NW/SO, WO, CWC, WCC, etc.) to find what works best for both my scalp and my length since my hair would never be dry if I washed it multiple times a day (in case something didn't work and left your hair greasy or waxy and you wanted to fix it). No one wants limp hair or to cause excessive shedding while experimenting and I think it's much worse once your hair is relatively long since the ends are so much older and therefore more fragile. If you're lazy like me, you may even want to microtrim one day but Feye's method is impossible if you can't see your ends in front of you (and idk of many other self-trimming methods).

While waiting to reach your dream length, you might as well try caffeine rinses or the inversion method or daily massaging to increase your growth rate; it would help to pass the time at the very least :) I'm too obsessed to practice benign neglect, I like experimenting with different deep treatments and hairstyles and whatnot.

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I barely ever do it since I'm lazy but I literally just look at my ends, usually in sunlight or over something white/light like my laptop screen so that I can see the splits better, and then snip only the hairs with split ends. Some peeps will twist sections of their hair so that hairs will stick out randomly and then they'll trim whichever ones are split, I did that tonight and sometimes I'll do the same thing with braids, especially once they've gotten fuzzy.

Your hair may be too short for any of that now though so I would just keep doing the peacock twist with the claw clip to protect the ends and pre-wash oilings if your hair likes them as well as maybe investing in a silk/satin sleep cap for extra protection at night (there are cheap ones at Walmart with the African hair stuffs, there are also better ones out there but they're retardedly expensive). If I had started with shorter hair, I think it would be much easier to experiment with different washing methods (shampoo bars, Indian herbs, NW/SO, WO, CWC, WCC, etc.) to find what works best for both my scalp and my length since my hair would never be dry if I washed it multiple times a day (in case something didn't work and left your hair greasy or waxy and you wanted to fix it). No one wants limp hair or to cause excessive shedding while experimenting and I think it's much worse once your hair is relatively long since the ends are so much older and therefore more fragile. If you're lazy like me, you may even want to microtrim one day but Feye's method is impossible if you can't see your ends in front of you (and idk of many other self-trimming methods).

While waiting to reach your dream length, you might as well try caffeine rinses or the inversion method or daily massaging to increase your growth rate; it would help to pass the time at the very least :) I'm too obsessed to practice benign neglect, I like experimenting with different deep treatments and hairstyles and whatnot.

Do you hang your head upside down and then snip? :rolling: that's the way I did it- and I didn't get very pretty results... As in layers being messed up and shorter in some spots.. I'm also way to scared to try the twist and snip method because it just seems weird to me and I don't exactly understand it heh.
And I never really thought it was a protective style, sweet! I thought I was the only one that did it to be honest O:
Also, I just received my Dabur Vatika hair oil that I shall be doing pre-poos with. I am excited!
I also just got a wood hair comb that is just magnificent. My hair becomes straight and something amazing that has never happened to me before occurred... When I combed my hair with it, I had literally ZERO snags. WTF. I'm super excited about that. And oh gosh.. I can not sleep with a cap on even if it was to save my life. I've tried a couple different times and have had no success, it always falls off. About the trying different methods.. So far I've tried shampoo bars and no success whatsoever(hardest water in the world), COing just leaves my hair greasy and stringy no matter what(but I'm still experimenting with it), I've never tried water only and most likely never will, and my hair doesn't respond well to WCC/CWC.
And because of you, I learned about caffeine rinses and sometimes I do a coffee rinse (mainly whenever there is leftover coffee) ;D I can safely say that my hair is in love with caffeine. And I am the same exact way, I LOVE experimenting with herbs, oils, powders, etc! It's my favorite past time :p

hypersensitive
November 13th, 2014, 09:57 PM

LOL this is so true! Classic is pretty awesome. I guesstimate around 3 years as well, maybe less of your hair grows faster than the average half an inch per month.

gustavonut
November 13th, 2014, 10:19 PM
LOL this is so true! Classic is pretty awesome. I guesstimate around 3 years as well, maybe less of your hair grows faster than the average half an inch per month.

I can only dream for classic~
And oooooh your hair looks so sleek and mystical :o

hypersensitive
November 14th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Haha! I've gotten magical before. I'll add mystical to the list. Thanks for the compliment!

Anabell
November 14th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Well, you can measure the distance from the ends of your hair to your goal length and then divide it by your average growth rate. The average growth rate is 0.5'' (1.3 cm) per month so this will give you a good estimation even if you don't know yet how fast your hair grow. You can try to measure your hair length for several month in a row and calculate the average. If you want it to grow faster you need to eat healthy so your body receive all the essentials it needs. Exercise also can help by increase the blood flow to the scalp. Happy growing :)

alishaxmarie
November 14th, 2014, 01:30 PM
When you S&D, you're not chopping whole sections of your hair are you? You're only supposed to snip individual tips, just slightly above the split in case it traveled up a little. That's why it can be so time-consuming, especially when you first start doing it. And I'm totally jelly of your comb! I've been really wanting to get a wooden one but I don't have any money I can spend right now </3

gustavonut
November 15th, 2014, 09:44 AM
When you S&D, you're not chopping whole sections of your hair are you? You're only supposed to snip individual tips, just slightly above the split in case it traveled up a little. That's why it can be so time-consuming, especially when you first start doing it. And I'm totally jelly of your comb! I've been really wanting to get a wooden one but I don't have any money I can spend right now </3

Actually I do snip pieces one at a time but I always do it so unevenly :C also I don't know how I'm supposed to stand or anything. I think I'll just leave it to people who can see all my hair at once.
And oh this comb is quite nice :D

alishaxmarie
November 15th, 2014, 03:38 PM
You're hair is never completely even though... It's completely imperceptible that you even cut anything when you S&D because you're not losing any actual length. Your hair grows in phases and each hair follicle is at a different point of that phase or in an entirely different phase than the follicle next to it. Something like 85% of your follicles can be in the growing phase at once but ignore the estimated length of the growth phase that's listed on the image because everyone's growth phase is a different length and can be affected by hormones, diet, etc.
http://www.howtomakeyourhairgrowfastertips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/how-fast-does-hair-grow.jpg

MiamiPineapple
November 16th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I started about where you are about 3 and a half year ago and I am now a few inches from hip. However, I had to trim probably about 5 times (1/2- 1 inch each time) to get rid of horrible damage. If your hair is not damaged, don't cut it and you can probably reach that goal in 3 years. There is no need to trim if your ends are healthy. I grew it long by ignoring it and wearing it in a bun for over 3 years as well. That way I wouldn't be inspecting it all the time and wanting to chop. I recently posted a thread that shows a picture of where I started and where I am now called progress/my new routine.

I am also 5'10 so I would have been at hip a while ago if I was shorter. Good luck!

Dandelion6
November 16th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I also guesstimate about 3.5 years based on 1/2 inch growth per month. That would include a few micro trims along the way.

Dandelion6
November 16th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Oh, and happy growing! There will many new lengths to enjoy along the way.

GetMeToWaist
November 16th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I agree with 2.5-3 years.

DreamSheep
November 16th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Probably about 2.5-3 years without trims would be my guess. :) Enjoy the journey!

gustavonut
November 16th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Thank you so much everyone! This was actually a lot of help. For some strange reason I was thinking it would take 5-6 years!! Now I feel much much better about it, :applause