PDA

View Full Version : Hair Down?

nisolu
September 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hello! I've been reading a lot of posts, kind of lurking :) My hair is just past my bra strap and I'm wondering, Is it bad to wear your hair down all the time?

bunnii
September 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hello and welcome to LHC :cheer:

Not in my opinion :D I wear mine down all the time and use little clips or headbands to keep it out of my face.

I do try updos but it pulls on my head too much most of the time.

Samikha
September 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Welcome out of lurkdom! This is one thing you have to decide for yourself. It is not "bad" to leave it down, but hair encounters a lot of stuff that over time will cause damage whatever we do. Some of it can be avoided. The ends of your hair are better protected if you tuck them into updos rather than leaving them hanging down all the time. There is also less damage from brushing against shoulders, against your chair, purse straps, tangling...but if you want to wear your hair down and prefer it, then do so. Updos are a lot of fun too, though :)

Curlsgirl
September 26th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I wear my hair down a lot unless I am going to be out in the wind or something. I take periods when I put it up especially in the summer because it's so hot and humid here. I like it better down and want to enjoy it.

RavennaNight
September 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I like to wear down most of the time. I am however still experimenting with some updos and like hairsticks. But a co-worker told me the opposite of what many folks on this board have been saying:

It's actually not good to put hair up all the time. You pull your hair too much in most updos and it eventually leads to thinning of the hair!

Now I'm sure she's no expert, but it makes sense to me. Sometimes my scalp hurts from wearing buns and ponies to work all the time. And when I get home and let my hair down, it feels like I'm a cat whose fur was stroked the wrong way! Afterwards my hair is super sensitive feeling too. My scalp just seems happier when hair is down and not pulled on.

PeaceWithTrees
September 26th, 2008, 06:50 PM
:DI wondered to the same thing. I keep seeing so mnay posts about wearing hair up 24 7, and im starting to feel guilty because i were it down all the time. So yay, im not the only one! However, I do seem to notice how mnay dangerous encounters my hair has when it is down all the time........So i am going to start wearing it up more often.... Besides, im starting to notice that my boyfriend, whom i want hair attention from most, dosnt seem to apprecitate my hair wheni put soooooo much effort into growing it!!!!!! SO, i think that i will start the challenge to wear it up for a few months to keep it out of his sites for a little while! When I "LEt my hair Down" It will be a hopfully wowing moment for me! (I'm so Modest Right.....:p) LOL, but anyway I also want to see howmuch my hair condition improves when i have it up all the time!

SweetPea88
September 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I wear my hair down pretty frequently. I don't think it's necessarily "bad", but just take into consideration the weather elements and what your hair may possibly rub against or get into ;). When it's really windy, I make sure to keep it back and contained at least until I go inside. I also don't leave it down when it's really hot and sunny to avoid the most sun damage. Since I like the look of long hair, I also go for braids quite frequently.

HairColoredHair
September 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I know that putting my hair up most of the time has allowed it to grow to its current length, otherwise it started breaking off around tailbone - where I starting really damaging it by leaning against things and sitting on it. I don't think it's 'bad' to wear your hair down... I just prefer it up.

thankyousir74
September 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM
It's not that bad if you watch out for dangers like seatbelts...and metal chairs. I know I prefer to keep it up, mainly because it gets hot.

Jessie Rose
September 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I would say that it all depends on what you want from your hair :) Loose hair tends to get more tangled and is exposed to more damage than hair that is regularly worn up, but what fun would long hair be if you never got to show it off ;)

Nat242
September 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM
It depends on your goals, too. If your goals are waist-hip length, then you don't have to be quite as protective as someone who wants classic or beyond, KWIM? I would also suggest that wearing your hair down all the time may lead to more frequent trimming, because the ends are much more vulnerable than if you wore your hair up all the time.

That said, there is no point growing your hair if you don't like how you're styling it everyday. If you love having your hair down everyday, then go for it! Just be prepared for more damage, tangles and trims.

Braids are a great way of showing off your length, and they're a bit more protective than having your hair loose - especially on windy days!

ladyshannonanne
September 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
When I used to have long hair (I'm in the process of growing it back) I wore it down a lot and I know it suffered because of this. But, this is in large part because of my hair type, which is fine and wavy. My hair tangles like none other when it's not tied up in some way.

On the other hand, wearing it up too tight or fastening it with certain types of hair ties (like rubber bands) can be just as bad, if not worse.

I'd say experiment with what works for you, but if you seem to be hitting a plateau and feel like you're doing everything else you can to baby your hair, you may be getting more damage than you realize just from wearing your hair down all the time.

kittymomma
September 26th, 2008, 11:02 PM
It seems like for me that unless I'm in an unhealthy shed that keeping it braided vs. keeping it "pinned" to my head using elastics or (eek) alligator clips seems to work better. Although, when I'm lazy, any old method will do...I'm such a slacker! :shrug:

aisling
September 27th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I like to wear down most of the time. I am however still experimenting with some updos and like hairsticks. But a co-worker told me the opposite of what many folks on this board have been saying:

It's actually not good to put hair up all the time. You pull your hair too much in most updos and it eventually leads to thinning of the hair!

Now I'm sure she's no expert, but it makes sense to me. Sometimes my scalp hurts from wearing buns and ponies to work all the time. And when I get home and let my hair down, it feels like I'm a cat whose fur was stroked the wrong way! Afterwards my hair is super sensitive feeling too. My scalp just seems happier when hair is down and not pulled on.

But that's just not true! It doesn't make sense at all. It leads to thinning, traction alopecia, only if you wear your hair bunned too tight. If you put it up and it feels comfortable, the chances for thinning should be minimal.

I can't wear ponytails either, they're not comfortable at this length for me and seriously, they don't really count as an updo either, they're not very protective. Buns on the other hand, no problem, they're much easier to make comfortable and with my fine hair, they're one of the reasons I've been able to grow my hair past bra strap length.

Katze
September 27th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I prefer my hair down. Maybe when the ends thicken up and I have got rid of the old layers, I can try again to teach myself how to do updos, this time on MUCH thicker hair. But as it is, I can't make most updos work. My hair is too many different lengths, textures, etc.

The one updo I actually enjoy wearing is a twist held with a Ficcare, then a headband keeping the bangs/wisps out of my face, on freshly washed (best on damp) hair. This makes my hair smoother when I take it down again, and encourages wave.

Mostly I wear it down with my long bangs clipped back, or with a headband, or in a half-up.

Anything else (see profile pics) is a disaster, at least as long as my ends are bleached and thin. Also, I have a short neck, round head, and bad posture, so many updos make me look old and dumpy.

I try to be very careful with my hair, not having it down in the wind (I carry a Ficcare or scrunchy with me) or while I'm biking, but when I am indoors I mostly have it down. I don't brush it, comb it gently, mist and occasionally oil it, and feel that I take very, very good care of my hair. Putting it into a hairdo that I don't like and am not very good at is not worth the hassle, for me. I am not aiming for record-breaking hair, just for long healthy hair, and it is my opinion that I don't need to wear it up all the time for that.

sapphire-o
September 27th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Sure you can wear it down all the time. Especially if your hair is in great condition and you're not too far from your goal length. :) Although you have to be more careful about not getting it stuck somewhere as it gets longer.

Periwinkle
September 27th, 2008, 05:06 AM
It really depends what you do with it while it's down. It's perfectly possible to grow lovely long beautiful hair and always wear it down, but if you're careless with it and trap it in things all the time (chair backs, seatbelts, clothing, rucksacks...) then you're going to incur a lot of damage.

Personally, I put my hair up all the time because it just annoys me when it's down and because it's easier to protect it from all the hair horrors lurking out there in the Big Bad World. If you're happier with your hair down, though, and are prepared to take basic precautions to avoid snagging it left, right, and centre, then go for it!

RavennaNight
September 27th, 2008, 06:28 AM
But that's just not true! It doesn't make sense at all. It leads to thinning, traction alopecia, only if you wear your hair bunned too tight. If you put it up and it feels comfortable, the chances for thinning should be minimal.

I can't wear ponytails either, they're not comfortable at this length for me and seriously, they don't really count as an updo either, they're not very protective. Buns on the other hand, no problem, they're much easier to make comfortable and with my fine hair, they're one of the reasons I've been able to grow my hair past bra strap length.

Maybe it's an individual issue of comfort then. My scalp 80% of the time feels abused after a bun is removed. I get painful spots on the top back of my head and the general "ruffled feathers" feeling!

Golden21
September 27th, 2008, 06:28 AM
My hair is almost BSL, so it's not that long yet compared to others. I love wearing my hair down! When it gets longer I'm sure I'll put it up more because I'll be able to do more updos.

30isthenewblack
September 27th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I think like most things, it all depends on what your hair can withstand and tolerate. I used to wear my hair down all the time. It only grew to BSL and the hair was damaged so I was caught in a cycle of growing my hair and then having to trim the damage off. I personally find that now I am making an effort to wear my hair back, my hair is growing but it is a lot healthier than it was before. Having said that, this is due to a lot of factors. Even when I wear my hair down, I pull it to the side when I am sitting down on trains and when I am at work to avoid breakage.

winter_star
September 27th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Maybe it's an individual issue of comfort then. My scalp 80% of the time feels abused after a bun is removed. I get painful spots on the top back of my head and the general "ruffled feathers" feeling!

I get this almost everytime I wear my hair up too RavennaNight. It can be very painful and irritating sometimes.

You need to find what works best for you. I almost always wear my hair down, but i'm finding the longer it gets, the more it catches and snags on things. Take extra care and tie your hair back when in the wind or possible damaging situations. I have recently dicovered hair can be damaged by many many things and if you worry too much about damaging your hair it can take the fun out of growing it. Have fun with your hair and all the great styles you can learn.

rhubarbarin
September 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM

I know a few women IRL who wear their long hair up 99% of the time, pulled straight back from their forehead or back from their permanent part- they have visible thinning at the front of their hair, or at the part. But.. most people here wear theirs up 99% and obviously don't have that problem. I do think it's bad to always wear the same style pulling (or rubbing in the case of a ponytail elastic) on the same place.

I have a sensitive scalp and when I had much longer, thicker hair it used to get sore from braids, buns, even ponytails.My hair is thin and light now, so it doesn't bother my scalp to put it up. I use hair pins to bun it, so it doesn't pull on one place.

I like it better down (I feel like it suits my face), but it does get in my way, so I wear it up at work (cause who cares about looking pretty there?) and when I am doing chores/stuff with my dogs/exercising.. that is to say, 95% of my waking time.

LaurelSpring
September 27th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I get this almost everytime I wear my hair up too RavennaNight. It can be very painful and irritating sometimes.

I have just hit some sort of milestone where the length is becomming uncomfortable in updos. I am finding that as it gets longer (I am in uncharted territory with my hair now) I am more comfortable with low updos. I am increasingly leaning towards low folded braids or low chignon. I wonder if I will have to put my toys up for swap soon.

Honey39
September 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I wear my hair down all the time. I have done loads of "good" things since joining here:

No more blow-drying
No more straightening
CO washing only (shampoos made it frizz!)
Deep oiling
Light oiling every morning
No brushing
Combing only once a day and GENTLY
SMTs
Honey + conditioner

However, the thing I don't seem to want to do ever is wear my hair up. I love it on other people, but I'm short and fat, with a round face, and I just don't like my hair up (on me).

I've found I'm having consistently good hair days since I joined here (first time ever!). I do the morning routine, and then I basically don't touch it at all throughout the rest of the day. My hair has improved SO much, I love it!

I think though as people have said, it's your goal length that counts. I'm content to grow my hair very slowly, cutting off half the growth every three months, so I'm not too worried about damage from wearing it down. Also, my long-term aims aren't that long - maybe just above waist? (My hair is wurly, so will take a while!). But like I said, I'm taking this growth thing really slowly, and just enjoying wearing my hair down and seeing the improvements!

Mangachan
September 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I have never been one for leaving my hair up ALL the time. I just can't to it, I love the way it looks out. You would think it would break off but no, it's been growing fine.

"hair will break and thin if you tie it up all the time"
That can be true and I've seen plenty of cases were that has happened but when I do tie my hair back it's never tight and I never use cotton(it's sucks up moisture) or small elastic things that can get tangled in there.

Jean_Grey
September 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Wearing my hair up is just a mood thing for me. Yes, I might get more damage with hair down, but I also get to enjoy my long hair if it's down.

Eirinn
September 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I've worn mine up all the time last year and what did I get? Breakage from braids, headache from updos and lots of fallen out hair from trying to do elaborated styles. Damaged hair. I have aversion for updos so I didn't enjoy growing my hair much this way. I feel really stuffy and unnatural in updos, as I consider long loose hair as kind of 'power of feminity' symbol.

So now I decided to wear it down all the time even if it'll have to be shorter then I planned. If I'm forced to choose between looking pretty AND long hair, I choose looking pretty cause my hair is to make me pretty and not me to make it protected, feeling comfortingly and cosy. And it's feeling much better this way for both of us.

I guess you should figure out yourself what do you demand from your hair and then think how to achieve it:)

Gwaihiril
September 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
As a student, wearing my hair down all the time is way more hassle than it's worth. It gets caught in things so easily - backpack straps, zippers, chairs, doors, desks, other people (especially irritating is other people's watches and/or bracelets) - so I usually wear my hair in a braid or bun. That said, I take advantage of every opportunity to wear my hair down, so if I know I'm just carrying a purse around, or I'm going to be at home most of the day, I wear it down. I still have to watch at all times, but you get used to it after a while.

Angellen
September 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I definitely agree. Sometimes wearing it down (particularly at waist and beyond) is just plain impractical. As a result, I wear mine up nearly everyday. When I'm at home, though, it's nearly always down, unless I have something important to do that requires it out of my way. I love it down, much more than up. I think updos are generally unattractive on me, even if they look great from the back or side. Oh well. Since I'm trying to grow longer and am busy busy busy, having it up is better for me.

Forever_Sophie
September 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I love leaving my hair down! It's getting close to my waist now. I love ponytails but they pull too much; I only put my hair up if I'm going out for a short amount of time.

My hair is still has healthy as ever w/ it down so much, I don't worry about it.

Euphony
September 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I decided about a year ago that wearing my hair up protects my hair more. I have learned some nice loose updos that don't pull much, have learned to balance it and have learned to put it up at lightening fast speed so if it does start to bother me, I take it down and redo it and I'm good. I've also found a fondness for hair toys that actually work in my hair (I could never find hair toys that would work in my thickness before LHC).

My hair is in great condition, I attribute a lot of that to it being up 75% of my waking hours. I get to enjoy long hair with thick ends, wonderful shine and a full hemline even though I still have layers, when I wear my hair down. I am an office manager, I realized I don't care what I look like at work so I just put it up, I do care what I look like when I'm on a date with my husband so my hair that has been protected so well in my myriad of updos during business hours gets to come out to play.

Bronwyn Grace
September 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I wear my hair down most of the time... the only thing I can't stand with having it down is sitting in chairs at school. My hair will go over the back of the seat, someone will push their desk up flush to mine, and smash my hair between the two desks. I then lean forward to take notes, and rrrrrrrrrrrip... a bunch of hair gets pulled out. -cringe- So I have taken to throwing my hair in a quick braid before I sit down in class.

nisolu
September 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Wow! You are great! I never expected so much feed back. You've all really helped me. I've been growing my hair out for 4 years and I noticed over the summer wearing it down all the time, it just seems a lot dryer. Is there a thread on how to do updos, I'm honestly no good at them!?!? LOL and would love to learn how to use sticks.

twilight_faerie
September 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM
It's not bad as long as you keep an eye out for it so that it doesn't get caught in things like car doors and such. If wearing your hair down makes you happy, then by all means, go for it.

rubyredslippers
September 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I'm about 50/50 when it comes to hair up/down. But since I came to LHC I've become more careful about updos. Not so many tight ponytails and more hair-stick, leather slide, and a far greater variety of updos.

Whatever you do, enjoy your hair, because that's the point of having it:D.

Samikha
September 28th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Wow! You are great! I never expected so much feed back. You've all really helped me. I've been growing my hair out for 4 years and I noticed over the summer wearing it down all the time, it just seems a lot dryer. Is there a thread on how to do updos, I'm honestly no good at them!?!? LOL and would love to learn how to use sticks.

Yeah, isn't this place awesome? We're trying to put together a dictionary of hair styles. It's not finished yet, but the links I've gathered so far are here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=20139) and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=20423). It should be enough to get your feet good and wet! Updos get easier over time, too. Lots of the styles there require sticks, but you'll just have to see what you like. If you want to learn how to use hairsticks, I'd recommend starting with the cinnamon bun, as that's usually the first hairstick updo people learn.

Have fun!;)

nisolu
September 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you for the links, but when I click on them it tells me I don't have access. How do I get access? When I try to change my profile it tells me the same thing....

Samikha
September 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thank you for the links, but when I click on them it tells me I don't have access. How do I get access? When I try to change my profile it tells me the same thing....

Ah, damn, you need another twenty-one posts to be able to see my blog. Sorry :) A moment, I have a forum post that you should be able to see. Just scroll down to the link part. It's right here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11763).

spidermom
September 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I wore my hair down a lot when I was at BSL, and it wasn't that big a hassle. Now even when I would prefer to wear my hair down, I find myself putting it up because my hair can be such a pain. Besides catching on things, the hair at my nape gets rubbed into a gigantic knot if I'm not combing it every 20 minutes. Recently I've noticed that when my hair is bothering me and I lift it to let air get to my neck, I get individual hairs stuck in a crease at my neck, and if I keep pulling, the hair cuts me (like a paper cut) or breaks.

Oskimosa
September 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Well, what's the point in growing your hair long if you can't enjoy it? :shrug: If you enjoy it down, wear it that way. If you want it long so you can do crazy updos, keep it up. For my part, I'm going to wear mine down nearly 100% of the time.

nisolu
September 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the links, they do work for me! I do like to wear my hair down, I just find that when I'm at home I like it up and would like more of a variety.

Lady Godiva
September 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
If you note the members' current hair lengths who prefer wearing their hair down and loose, the tendency is for the hair not to be much longer than waist length, and usually it's shorter than that, often about BSL. Conversely, those who wear their hair up most of the time tend to have hair longer than waist length. This is not set in stone, but these are tendencies. For my hair, which is maintained between ankle and floor lengths, there's no way I could have such healthy, super-long hair if I did not wear it up almost daily.

Hair texture makes a difference, too. Coarse hair can withstand down-and-loose better than fine hair.

In short (haha), the shorter the length, the easier it is to wear it down and loose, as detangling just isn't that big a deal. The longer the length, the harder it is to wear loose, because the end result is more detangling, with more time required for that and more damage due to regularly stroking a brush or comb down the length to keep it neat.

The trick is to evaluate what you want, ultimately. Is wearing your hair down and loose more important than extra length? If so, then you can wear your hair that way and maintain a preferred (shorter) length through regular trims. Is very long hair your goal, say classic, thigh, knee lengths or longer? If it is, chances are that somewhere along the line, wearing your hair up frequently will become necessary. Usually it's a trade-off.

Tapioca
September 29th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm a downie, most of the time (unless I'm cleaning, cooking, or otherwise doing something where it gets in my way). I like my hair down, and I get more compliments when it's down. However, I also have to be very careful around seat belts, car doors, and other things. I also tend to bring it over one shoulder when sitting, so that it doesn't rub against my chair. I get micro-trims every eight weeks to keep the ends happy. (And blunt! I love my blunt hemline.)
As it gets longer, I may change my mind. Of course, I may decide to just maintain at the point where down becomes a chore. I'll know when I get there.