PDA

View Full Version : Nice little site i found

thebacontree
November 13th, 2014, 11:07 AM
So, i was just browsing the internet, when i found this page. It is primarily aimed towards men, but women could have a read at it too.
To me, part 4 (links at bottom of page) is the most interesting.
But what do you guys think?
Are there any mistakes or flaws in this work? tell me your opinions :p

http://www.choisser.com/longhair/

Agnes Hannah
November 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I thought it was a really good site, very thought provoking regarding male longhairs. Women often face the social pressures on hair cutting when they reach a certain age or don't fit the norm, I forget sometimes that male longhairs get the same sort of pressure too!
The advice given about no shampoo washing seemed sound, lots of interesting and useful advice.

thebacontree
November 13th, 2014, 11:37 AM
The advice given about no shampoo washing seemed sound, lots of interesting and useful advice.

yeah, that was actually the first time i heard of it, and it really does seem legit. Maybe i should try it once :-)

embee
November 13th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Nice site. Good description of "terminal length". :)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 13th, 2014, 03:18 PM
What an awesome site! I read every little bit of it!

Entangled
November 13th, 2014, 04:47 PM
One piece of evidence that longhairs are seen as a separate social group is the mere existence of the word "longhair". A special word to define us occurs in English and in several other languages. These words are loaded with far more meaning than just hair length. No such single word appears for longhaired women.

I wasn't aware of this... I guess it's because we're going against the norm. Super long hair is weird for most people, especially on men. For men, he said shoulder blade length is average (super) long. (Inserting super to specify significantly longer than average.) For women, that's acceptably long. For us the threshold is higher. But, longer than BSL and you need a trim or a cut or a dye job. Forget classic! Most people go into histrionics if you tell them you want hair long enough to sit on and want to wear it up every day. (Only a wee bit of exaggeration) So I guess he's excluding the female long hairs, because let's face it--we're in the minority too. He probably doesn't really know about us.

Kudos to the super long haired men who rock styles! (I'm looking at you, Gumball)

Another thing (this is random): growing head hair especially long is not unique to humans. Horses have long manes! Their tails also grow really long is you care for them like we do-- conditioner and protective updos (tailbags). I've seen (Internet) pictures of tails that drag the ground.

And are greasy headed people really that rare? He made stretching washes sound do easy and luxurious!

Other than that, it was really fascinating to read, especially the perception side.

fiðrildi
November 13th, 2014, 05:24 PM
This site is quite interesting, thanks for sharing :)
Part 4 was my favourite. In that first point (long haired men looking feminine), I have to say that, even if you don't grow a beard, or have a very masculine face, you can pull it off nonetheless. It comes to my mind Óskar Logi (The Vintage Caravan singer). He's got quite an androgynous, even feminine face, his hair is red, and I believe he's got near tailbone length... still, you can tell he rocks his hair. Even if he falls into the rock musician stereotype :P
And about the sexual markers, I think head hair can be as appealing as facial hair. Simply because it's a natural part of the body. The scene where Naveen Andrews washes his hair in "The English Patient" film, can be a good example of that.

whoa182
November 13th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I've read that before! :)

To be honest, I don't nearly as many negative comments now that my hair is near my tailbone compared with when it was just starting to get long (around my shoulders). I think a) many people around me have got used to it b) it's in better shape and rather than seen as being "lazy" and not getting a hair cut, people can tell that I look after it and it was a conscious decision. The best thing you can is just be confident!

Almost every time I go out now I get random people at bars / clubs wanting to take photos with me and girls just randomly come up to me and put their hands in my hair lol! :p I get compliments every time I go out, so it's not as bad as I feared when I made the decision to grow it out. xD

thebacontree
November 14th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I loved how he made some scientiic facts, but it wasnt hard to understand. Whoever wrote this should be a teacher

To be honest, I don't nearly as many negative comments now that my hair is near my tailbone compared with when it was just starting to get long (around my shoulders)

hmmm thats weird, im at armpit length and care fot my hair alot, but i still get all sorts of negative comment at school. Things like "Jesus" and "Tarzan" are examples of this. Where do you live? This might be a cultural thing ( i live in belgium)

Entangled
November 14th, 2014, 12:13 PM
This is what they meant.

To be honest, I don't nearly as many negative comments now that my hair is near my tailbone compared with when it was just starting to get long (around my shoulders).

They got more negative comments when it was short(APL) compared to when it was long. Now they don't get rude comments at tailbone, but they did at shoulder.

thebacontree
November 14th, 2014, 01:12 PM
i understood, but when it was WSL with me i got comments too so.....?

Night_Kitten
November 14th, 2014, 01:42 PM
It could be a matter of location / culture, and it could also be a matter of age group (school, especially high-school is a very harsh place to those who don't want to live in the narrow field of the current accepted "norm" / fashion)
Also it could be a matter of just how "out of the norm" you get - with mid-back or even waist hair, your'e still somewhat in the boundaries or close enough to them, while at tailbone and beyond you are "waaaaay out" of any "norm", and there are only the rock singers / musicians with that hair length (who are usually perceived as out of the "norm" to begin with)...

dancingrain91
November 14th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I enjoyed it though I do feel women with very long hair face pressure and even abuse too. I knew a little girl in middle school with classic length hair who got beat up by a bunch of other little girls and had her hair shorn off. Fortunately adult women are slightly more mature than that but women are even better at those subtle insults than men. The whole, "You look so old with long hair" "Do you use it to wipe your butt when camping?" (Really? This was to a longhaired friend of mine, but really?)

whoa182
November 14th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I've noticed that in the UK, men aren't being as stigmatized for having long hair as they did before. I think people have become more liberal and accepting of differences in general. I was even surprised when I went for an interview recently and even had compliments from the two girls who separately interviewed me, telling me I had amazing hair and to never let anyone cut it, ever. That was really unexpected!! I thought they would have moaned about my hair before going in there.. lol

When I've had negative comments in the past it was usually from the older generation. Or when my hair was around my shoulders during the 90s. The younger generation seem totally cool with it! I recently went into town with friends for a night out and had people just asking to have their picture taken with me because they thought I was really unique and it looked awesome. And this was at a pretty trendy club, not an alternative rock place. So from my experience, attitudes are changing here in Wales, and maybe the whole of the UK? Idk.

Long hair certainly gets you attention and makes anyone stand out. For the guys, I imagine it must put quite a fair number of girls off? I don't know... Are there any polls on that? Or maybe it depends on the overall look and other things? For girls with long hair getting negative comments: probably jealousy more than anything else? When I observe it this kind of behavior it would start from one person making a comment and then others join in. For the most part, guys love girls with really long hair! It's kind of rare these days... My ex girlfriend had long hair - a bit longer than mine - and it was beautiful. It's really attractive. I think around the hips or TBL is perfect imo.

(for clarification: my longest hairs reach my tailbone, but majority of hair is around hip length)

browneyedsusan
November 14th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Nice article! Thanks for sharing.

AutobotsAttack
October 15th, 2015, 06:23 PM
All I can is this site is a heck of a lot more credible than others I have been on :) so I give it a thumbs up definitely :)

gthlvrmx
October 15th, 2015, 09:04 PM
That was a nice site! Thank you!