PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff in cold weather

katielea
November 13th, 2014, 06:54 AM
ANyone else get itchy dandruff as soon as it gets wintry? I used to use dandruff shampoo but I'm trying to cut back on washings and go without sulfates. In fact I just bought some conditioner to start CO. Did CO help anyone else with dandruff? If I use tea tree oil will the conditioner really get it out in the shower?

Chocowalnut
November 13th, 2014, 07:07 AM
I have had dandruff all my life and I just recently realized I stopped seeing it for a few months when I started using sulfate free shampoos. Now, recently, it has come back. It probably has something to do with me using a sulfate shampoo recently and could also be combined with it getting cold and wintery. So I think it wouldn't hurt to experiment dropping sulfates for awhile. I don't think conditioner only will get out certain things completely, like oil and cones, but not sure. You can CO most of the time and use a sulfate-free shampoo once a week or so. Just experiement with your routine and see what works :)

katielea
November 13th, 2014, 07:29 AM
I haven't used sulfates in about a year or maybe more and that made a big difference for me too. But now the dandruff is back, it comes back every winter. I drink a ton of water but my scalp just gets dry and itchy. I mainly want to get rid of the itchiness.

Enrapture
November 13th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Absolutely! The same happens to me. Although it's not as bad as it used to be and it doesn't flake, I still have itchy scalp every time winter is around. I have tried CO, but it actually caused my itchiness to get worse. I sometimes oil my scalp and use herbal rinses and it seems to help.

Entangled
November 13th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Could it be the low humidity? Where I am, it's humid in the summer and much drier in the winter. Could that be affecting your skin?

mira-chan
November 13th, 2014, 09:48 AM
As above dryness can cause flaking if it's dry flakes and itchy skin. Especially if there is heating then the air gets very dry. CO helps some, oiling the scalp helps others, using a mist for the hair may help as well.

StephanieP3
November 13th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Even during CO it was flaky. I'll be switching to sulfate free s/c next month so I'm hoping that helps a bit. I live in a humid climate and I haven't noticed a change even in winter.

katielea
November 13th, 2014, 03:04 PM
It is definitely quite dry here in the winter. I just mixed a little tea tree oil into conditioner and left it on for an hour or so. Rinsed out beautifully and the itchiness has subsided for now. I think CO may work really well for my winter scalp.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think i'm going to oil more regularly. I have a tea spritz i use to tame my hair in the morning, maybe i'll try using that more often.

mira-chan
November 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I'm glad to hear CO helped you. Itchy dry scalp is no fun.

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I've had lots of success with scritching and upping the scalp massages once the weather gets colder and drier.