PDA

View Full Version : How do you use braids in updos?

Entangled
November 12th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I've learned a lot of fancy braids, but I'm rather reluctant to leave them hanging down. Any suggestions for turning flat five(or more) strands, box braids, or the like into UPdos? I look forward to hearing your ideas!

mira-chan
November 12th, 2014, 09:24 PM
A flat 5 or more strand braid can probably be folded up back against the head and pinned, with the tail tucked underneath. This would probably be amazing with a 7+ strand ones. Like a very intricate woven turtle shell/ basket of hair pinned to the back of the head. Box braid as a wrapped crown might do well.

Gumball
November 12th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Hmm I've used a number of those in styles in my blog/albums. :)

Night_Kitten
November 13th, 2014, 07:05 AM
A box braid would look good twisted into a cinnamon bun I think - would give it a very intricate and special look :)

Madora
November 13th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I've learned a lot of fancy braids, but I'm rather reluctant to leave them hanging down. Any suggestions for turning flat five(or more) strands, box braids, or the like into UPdos? I look forward to hearing your ideas!

Assuming that you can start the braid with nothing holding it, then you might like to try this:

1) Do the flat braid down to the nape. Tie off with elastic band (for the moment)
2) Comb out rest of hair below the tie
3) Divide hair in 2 sections
4) Braid each section LOOSELY. You have 2 loose braids
5) Take off hair tie at nape
6) Pin both sides of the 5 strand braid to the scalp (use SMALL crimped hairpins)
7) Take one thin braid and bring it up and around the 5 strand braid (clockwise) pinning with small crimped hairpins
8) Take remaining thin braid and bring it up and around the 5 strand braid (counterclockwise) pining with small crimped hairpins
VOILA ...one 5 strand braid surrounded by 2 small mini braids!

(note: crimped hairpins should be no larger than 2 inches)

MsPharaohMoan
November 13th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Hmm I've used a number of those in styles in my blog/albums. :)

Lol! I was just going to suggest OP take a look at your albums!

torrilin
November 13th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I think step one is hit up Janet Stephen's YouTube channel. The Julia Domna video jumps to mind as showing a bunch of useful techniques/thinking for using braids in updos. It isn't particularly a difficult style either, so it should be a good starting point. There are a lot of other classical era hairstyles that use braids well, and she covers a number of them. (this is not to say she covers them all!)

The next thing I'd look at is the Elling Woman's Bun. Again, not particularly difficult in terms of the style, and it gives a useful technique for structuring updos.

I'd also hit up videos for Heidi braids, the "oval bun", and other styles based around twin braids.

Entangled
November 13th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Wow, Gumball! Those are beautiful. Madora, do you mean one braid split into two braids with the ends circling it?

neko_kawaii
November 13th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I like to wrap a single (or double) braid around and pin it in a faux crown. Also, they can just be wrapped up in a cinnamon bun or really any bun can be done with a braid.

Entangled
November 13th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Torrilin and Neko_Kawaii! I'll have to look at her channel; I've heard of it but haven't watched anything. I'm actually wearing my hair in twin French braids wrapped and pinned into a faux crown right now.

TrapperCreekD
November 13th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I usually end up doing a cinnabun, or a nautilus, if the braids haven't devoured my length. Faux crowns and randomly pinning to create an updo also look really nice!

Madora
November 14th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Wow, Gumball! Those are beautiful. Madora, do you mean one braid split into two braids with the ends circling it?

:)Yes! You 5 strand braid your hair from the top of your head to your nape. Stop there/fasten with elastic band.
Divide the remaining hair in two sections.
Take one section and LOOSELY braid it. Remove the elastic band!
Do the same with the other section
Then take one of the mini braids in a clockwise position and place it FLAT AND FLUSH next to the 5 strand braid (pinning with small crimped hairpins)
Take the remaining mini braid in a counterclockwise position and place it FLAT AND FLUSH next to the 5 strand braid (pinning with small crimped hairpins.

Voila: one 5 strand braid that is "surrounded" by a thin accent braid on each side.

Entangled
November 14th, 2014, 08:30 AM
That should look very pretty when my hair is longer.
As for box braid buns, they're still tricky with my length and thickness right now. Night kitten and TrapperCreek, I do want to twist box braids into buns, but my tassel ends up way to long. Any suggestions?

The random pinning sounds interesting. I can't wait to have hair long enough for a coronet braid. Until then, I'll have to do twin braids wrapped or true crowns

And, yes, Mira Chan, a folded five strand would look very cool!

TrapperCreekD
November 17th, 2014, 11:45 AM
How long would you say your tassel is? I usually end up with roughly three inches of tassel, thanks to my taper. FTE make it super easy to tuck in a tassel! I just follow the bun shape, say a cinnabun, and tuck the tassel under the coil before it, if that make sense. You can twist/twirl the ends around your finger so there isn't a huge textural difference and not tuck as much under, and secure the end with a bobby pin. HTH!

Entangled
November 17th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Three inches is about right, but I'm only at can-I-call-this-wais, and my taper is minimal enough to make tucking long tassels in a challenge.