PDA

View Full Version : Hair keeps getting tangled...

ohiomom
November 12th, 2014, 05:35 PM
This was never an issue before. I noticed the past month or 2 that my hair is knotting up...bad. It's about bra strap length, and the tangles start about 1/2-3/4 of the way down. I get it trimmed regularly, and when I do, there is very little damage. I've tried a variety of shampoo's and conditioners, and co washing. Even co washing leaves horrible knots later in the day. I've tried leave in conditioner, no help. I did an aphogee protein treatment, no help. I used olive oil overnight for a few nights, and after doing that nightly, my hair was ok for a few days. Thought I needed moisture. Tried a more moisturizing conditioner, back to square one. I don't want to oil my hair every single night!
Hair wise, I have fine, somewhat thin hair. It's wavy, maybe 2a-2b..mostly waves, but some spirals here and there. I do blow dry it daily on medium to low heat.
Any suggestions??

Sarahlabyrinth
November 12th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Have you tried clarifying? That helped me when my hair became unmanageable.

ohiomom
November 12th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I've done that a couple of times thinking that was the problem...no difference

Nadine <3
November 12th, 2014, 05:51 PM
What did you use to clarify?

ohiomom
November 12th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Suave clarifying shampoo

amanda_the_tall
November 12th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Do you leave your hair down, or pull it up? When my hair was that long, I had to keep it up most of the time, or use a coney conditioner/leave in on it. I've heard using mineral oil can give you great slip, I've used it before and you only need a tiny tiny bit. Oiling always created more tangles in my hair, I guess because I didn't distribute it evenly enough.

ohiomom
November 12th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I do wear it down, except at bedtime. Maybe I need to try a coney conditioner and see if that helps.

amanda_the_tall
November 12th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I do wear it down, except at bedtime. Maybe I need to try a coney conditioner and see if that helps.

I used to have tangles galore when I wore it down because it kept getting rubbed on shirts, the couch, chairs, etc. and it would dry it out plus tangle. Cones helped keep it from drying out and added extra slip (which is crucial for me since my hair is so thin and fine). I hope you find something that helps! If you decide you want to try a leave-in, Garnier's triple nutrition spray worked lovely for me, as well as Aussie hair insurance (the Aussie is WAY coconutty scented though, I preferred the more subtle scent of Garnier).

MeowScat
November 12th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Are you clarifying twice? Sometimes that makes all the difference for me. I also use quite a bit of the shampoo and I gently rub it in all the way down the length and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I rinse and do it again. After that, I let my conditioner sit for a few minutes, then I chelate with White Vinegar. I have hard water and it really helps with tangling, also. Have you tried Mineral (Baby) Oil?

Maybe hold your blow dryer further away for even cooler air.

gthlvrmx
November 12th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Are you clarifying twice? Sometimes that makes all the difference for me. I also use quite a bit of the shampoo and I gently rub it in all the way down the length and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I rinse and do it again. After that, I let my conditioner sit for a few minutes, then I chelate with White Vinegar. I have hard water and it really helps with tangling, also. Have you tried Mineral (Baby) Oil?

Maybe hold your blow dryer further away for even cooler air.

I don't think white vinegar chelates, only chelators do that but it does help keep your hair from getting mineral build up from hard water. Another nifty thing is club soda. That will get rid of minerals in your hair if you have hard water or mineral build up.
Check if your area has hard water ohiomom. Maybe the hard water is causing tangles.

Adiro
November 13th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Did you add a permanent jewelry chain around your neck? or because the season changing, you started wearing thicker rougher tops? or layered tops?

Very frequently the cause for tangles is mechanical, not something to do with the hair itself. Of course wearing it in a protective up-do. like a bun, would prevent it from tangling so much, but if you "must" wear it down you could try using a nice silk or satin scarf on your shoulders, so that your hair lies on the silky scarf, and does not tangle so much anymore.

A bit of oil on the tips of the hair only would also help ( you're not oiling the hair, you place a few drops on your palms and then run your hands through the ends of the hair only. it shouldn't look oiled at all, just have a bit more slip. Conney stuff helps as well.

Panth
November 13th, 2014, 01:17 AM
If you've clarified with proper clarifying shampoo, my next suggestion would be to chelate, particularly if you live in a hard water area or use well water. And no, vinegar does not chelate. Citric acid rinses do, which is where (I think) the confusion comes from. Alternatively, you can use chelating / "swimmer's" shampoo.

On the mechanical front, have you changed the chair you regularly sit in at work? Has your hair recently become long enough that your ends are between your body and the chair back? With the change in season, have you started wearing more scarves / polo-necked jumpers / cowl-necked jumpers / fluffy jumpers in general?

Sarahlabyrinth
November 13th, 2014, 02:11 AM
I'm sure that if you wear your hair bunned in a protective style it would tangle much less. Have you tried keeping your hair up to reduce tangling?

pearlsandpinups
November 13th, 2014, 04:01 AM
This was never an issue before. I noticed the past month or 2 that my hair is knotting up...bad. It's about bra strap length, and the tangles start about 1/2-3/4 of the way down. I get it trimmed regularly, and when I do, there is very little damage. I've tried a variety of shampoo's and conditioners, and co washing. Even co washing leaves horrible knots later in the day. I've tried leave in conditioner, no help. I did an aphogee protein treatment, no help. I used olive oil overnight for a few nights, and after doing that nightly, my hair was ok for a few days. Thought I needed moisture. Tried a more moisturizing conditioner, back to square one. I don't want to oil my hair every single night!
Hair wise, I have fine, somewhat thin hair. It's wavy, maybe 2a-2b..mostly waves, but some spirals here and there. I do blow dry it daily on medium to low heat.
Any suggestions??

Hmm, how often do you wash? My hair is the same length as yours (BSL) and I leave it down a lot and never really have issues with tangling. Years ago I used to wash my hair every day and it seemed more tangle-prone back then. Now I wash about every three days and it really doesn't tangle at all anymore, even being left down! So maybe stretching washes could help? (If you don't already! :) )

ohiomom
November 15th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions.
I don't think it's related to anything I'm wearing...no scarves, necklaces, etc.
I haven't colored it in forever (use henna). I wear it up to bed.
I do think it's moisture related. I bought a liter of avocado oil at costco last night and oiled up before bed. Washed it out this morning and conditioned as usual, and my hair is much nicer. I did this a few weeks ago, nightly, with olive oil and after a few days, my hair was a lot better. Didn't use a couple nights and back to tangle city.
I do wash daily, as my hair gets stringy and gross if I don't. Maybe I should try to go every other day.

lapushka
November 15th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Try a deep treatment after your shampoo and do it from ear down, concentrating especially on the nape. If you don't have a deep conditioner then use conditioner twice (WCC the link is in my signature). After that try the LOC method for styling and keeping in moisture. It just might help you. You can't but try. :shrug: