PDA

View Full Version : My hair doesn't feel long!

aforestfae
November 12th, 2014, 12:33 PM
My hair is about 2" from waist at most and 2-3" from my goal yet it still doesn't feel or look long to me, it feels the same length as it was 3" shorter.
My hair is V shaped which may be making it seems shorter to me.
Anyone else feel like their hair isn't getting longer even though you know it is?
I can see my hair has grown but it just doesn't look or feel long yet so now I'm considering trying to grow to hip, those at or past hip what's it like and would you recommend growing that long?
I've never been as long as my hair is now.

Johannah
November 12th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I need to disappoint you, hip doesn't feel long at all. I still feel like I'm at waist to be honest. Oh well...

aforestfae
November 12th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I need to disappoint you, hip doesn't feel long at all. I still feel like I'm at waist to be honest. Oh well...

:hmm: that's disappointing, at least it looks long?

Anje
November 12th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Common problem around here. I'm only now starting to really feel like my hair is long, because I'm having to be careful not to sit on it.

Rio040113
November 12th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I feel your pain, TBL here and it still feels/looks short to me!

Johannah
November 12th, 2014, 01:17 PM
:hmm: that's disappointing, at least it looks long?

It does. For other people. :p

Undomiel
November 12th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Common problem around here. I'm only now starting to really feel like my hair is long, because I'm having to be careful not to sit on it.

Same here! Just the other night I was sitting down watching a show and thought, "Hm, what's that pulling? OMG I'm starting to SIT on my hair!"
YAY for on-the-way-to-classic-ness! :)

Aderyn
November 12th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I definitely know how you feel. My hair is at hip length when curly and it really doesn't feel long at all - doesn't feel much longer than BSL,in fact. I'm thinking it won't be until it's BCL or TBL before it starts feeling long.

mira-chan
November 12th, 2014, 01:33 PM
At classic and it doesn't feel long. It didn't feel long at fingertip either.

spidermom
November 12th, 2014, 01:43 PM
My hair felt long at APL after years of wearing it between pixie and shoulder length.

Zebra Fish
November 12th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Same here. Tho I am only waist-ish. Before lhc I used to have hair around bsl all the time and I thought it was long... sigh...

Larki
November 12th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Mine is hip and is only just starting to feel and look long to me; it's the longest it's been in like ten years.

ARG
November 12th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I have hair dysmorphia badly. I feel like I'm at BSL, though I'm at "can I call this hip?". I think part of the reason is, from the front it looks shorter than it does brushed back. Its definitely long by my whole family's standards. I blame LHC.

MidnightMoon
November 12th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Im at tailbone and it still feels short to me :/

ZeppHead
November 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Yep that's me. I get told that my hair is getting long and I always start an argument. No it's not! Its no where near long yet! :)
I realize its long in like regular standards but once your goals start changing as it grows it never seems long!

DreadfulWoman
November 12th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Your hair will probably never feel long, because no matter how long it gets you see it and live with it every day, so it will always seem "normal" rather than "long". That's what I figure anyway. I'm closing in on tailbone length now and it still seems pretty ordinary. I imagine it always will.

Beckstar
November 12th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I'm at shoulder and I feel long. So your hair is definitely long! :) I can't see the wall between my hemline and shoulder anymore.

Nadine <3
November 12th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I must be the freak here...Just the other day I had freshly washed my hair and it was finally dry and I kept saying "WOW, I have A LOT of hair!!" It's never been this long though, I've kept it at of an inch or two below shoulder with a ton of crazy layers...I do not have hair dysmorphia. Waist, hip and BSL length hair is long hair in my book.

Beckstar
November 12th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I must be the freak here...Just the other day I had freshly washed my hair and it was finally dry and I kept saying "WOW, I have A LOT of hair!!" It's never been this long though, I've kept it at of an inch or two below shoulder with a ton of crazy layers...I do not have hair dysmorphia. Waist, hip and BSL length hair is long hair in my book.

We'll be hair freaks together! My avvie feels incredible long to me.

Aurum
November 12th, 2014, 04:55 PM
My theory is that shorter lengths feel long to people with short hair because change is more noticeable on a smaller scale. In the upper half of the body, the milestones are closer together and more numerous, so it feels like you're hitting them quicker. When you go for months or years between milestones, it all starts to feel sluggish instead of "Wow! Look at this!" Every inch makes a difference when you don't have very many, but once you have 40+ inches, what's another two?

I'm another hair dysmorphic joining in.

FallingDarkness
November 12th, 2014, 05:09 PM
OH MY GOSH. Same problem. I'm MBL, I'm officially under 2 inches til waist, my mom thinks that my hair is really long, my dad thinks my hair is getting TOO long, and I'm just like.... What are you talking about my hair is short :(
I said that at BSL I'd think my hair was long.
Nope.
I think LHC has permanently destroyed my perception of "long" hair lolz. Curse you LHC. :P

Sarahlabyrinth
November 12th, 2014, 05:47 PM
My hair doesn't feel long, even though it looks long. I blame it on the fact that when it comes out of the sleeping cap each morning, it has shrunk itself up as far as BSL overnight.... also whenever it's not in the sleeping cap it's up in a bun. So I never "feel" the full length except when it's wet for washing. THEN it feels long....

Avis
November 12th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I waver in between feeling like my hair is long and feeling like I'm somewhere in between shoulder and APL. I frequently find myself seeing other women (sometimes men) with APL hair and I think "that's how long my hair is" until it dawns on me that I've been past APL for a while now. I think it will start to feel long when I can feel it covering my back. :shrug:

Entangled
November 12th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I'm wavering. Some days it feels like it's just starting to get there, and other days it feels still MBL, though the folks at the BSL to waist thread have declared me waist. Maybe am inch from now it will feel truly waist, at least, if not lacking the long sensation.

chen bao jun
November 12th, 2014, 08:21 PM
I think if you look at LHC a lot, everything seems short.
Personally, I hope I get to waist--sometime.

cat11
November 12th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Hmm... my hair feels short in relation to my goals and what I can do with it bun wise, but since hitting BSL it has finally started to feel long to me because I haven't had hair this long since middle school.

LongHairLesbian
November 12th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Hehehe if my experience is worth anything, that feeling doesn't go away at hip length. Heck, I'm two inches shy of BCL, and it still doesn't feel that long.

Youngjae
November 12th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Yeah... I am a couple of centimeters away from classic, and my hair still doesn't feel particularly long.... I get you guys...

RainbowBowser
November 12th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Wow, lots of us in the MBL abyss that are almost at waist length. My hair feels long because its never been this long but at the same time, I just want moar length

Ingrid
November 12th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Mine is past hip length and it doesn't feel long. I think this is partly because I used to have classic length hair so I know what it's like longer than what it is now. And then there's the LHC effect, too :lol:

squirrrel
November 13th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Mmmmm... Plus hair grows so gradually that you get used to it, and don't have the shock of 'it grew three inches over night!' type thing. It's a bit like children growing... When you see them every day you don't always notice how much they're stretching, but at longer intervals you can get a shock...

Federica
November 13th, 2014, 02:21 AM
Welcome to the club!
I started to feel my hair long-ish only past CL.
Now I'm at hip+ and it doesn't feel long at all, even if I get many "Awww your hair is so long!" comments.

Dreams_in_Pink
November 13th, 2014, 02:27 AM
My hair's almost hip length but feels like BSL to me, probably because that's where my natural thickness ends (the rest was thinned with scissors, 3 years ago!)

But it does feel long in shower, when it stretches to my tailbone :D

fiðrildi
November 13th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Another Mydback Abyss rider here (couple inches from waist). My hair feels the same way than BSL, which is, SHORT. I've had MBL hair for the past 3 years or so, and before that my hair used to be at waist, so I guess it's normal that it doesn't feel long yet. I hope that it will start to feel longer when I hit hip, because I've never had hair longer than waist. But reading the comments here, I guess it won't feel long at hip either :p

HaMalka
November 13th, 2014, 05:35 AM
My hair doesn't feel particularly long for the most part. Every so often something will happen and I will think, Oh Golly! How on earth is my hair this long?!?!

aforestfae
November 13th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I hope that by the time it brushes my lower back it will feel somewhat longer but looking at the replies it doesn't look that way

Night_Kitten
November 13th, 2014, 07:01 AM
My hair started feeling long around Classic, when I started sitting on it and could feel it tickle my legs in the shower... But even when past Classic it were more moments of "Oh! my hair is LONG now!" rather than a constant knowledge...
Now my hair feels incredibly short (cut back to tailbone last month) even though to everyone else it seems so long... I wonder whether Classic will start feeling long this time round too or will I have to grow longer than my hair was before the cut to get that feeling?

There is definitely a lot of hair dismorphia involved in my case though, as on other people even BSL looks long to me, LOL :p

Dona
November 13th, 2014, 07:11 AM
My hair is also midback, but it still feels above BSL... Only when I look in the mirror I see that it's not short, but it still feels short...

AlKhazzaR
November 13th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I don't feel long too, being at TBL and it's far away from feeling long.Maybe little after classic it will change?

höpönasu
November 13th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I know my hair has grown, I see it and feel it. Others compliment it long but I don't feel it. It's long when my fiance brushes it against my back for monthly length photo, it looks crazy long in it too but when I pull it front it's barely pass my breasts. I think it'll start to feel long when I hit the long length on the front too, I think that's belly button for me. Sometimes I feel my hair be very long but not long enough and some days it feels like I'm back where I started. :shrug: Go figure.

Entangled
November 13th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Midback abyss FOR THE WIN!
Grrr. I just hit waist, but I need to trim an inch, so I'll be back into the pit of doom and monotony.:brickwall::twisted:

rachelbethany
November 13th, 2014, 12:28 PM
My hair had much more length this time last year, but it actually "feels" longer to me now. That's because I had my thin, damaged ends trimmed off, so my hair looks fuller all the way to the ends. And it's also got a better shape, so I can enjoy the way it looks when I wear it down and really get a good look at the length now.

I love feeling my hair down my back! It still doesn't feel extraordinarily long, because it's not. (It's just past BSL.) My hair feels longest when I toss it back behind my shoulders and it actually stays there, or when I wear it in a high ponytail and it still goes past my shoulders, or when it's also very voluminous, which just makes me feel like I have a mane! Can't wait to get to waist!

memeow
November 13th, 2014, 01:45 PM
It's funny, because I'm at an apparently very common length--an inch or two from waist right now--and I do feel like my hair is long. I mean, I still want it longer but I could imagine maintaining around here for a while to get rid of some damage, and it wouldn't be disappointing. It's a kind of nice length for me since it's still pretty easy to take care of.

lapushka
November 13th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I think it's going to start to feel long when it starts to bug me. Like for instance sitting on it when it's classic. When air drying becomes a chore due to length and such. We'll see how far I'll grow. ;)

chen bao jun
November 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Mine is past hip length and it doesn't feel long. I think this is partly because I used to have classic length hair so I know what it's like longer than what it is now. And then there's the LHC effect, too :lol:

Yeah, I think this is true. I don't think my hair will feel long until its actually LONGER than its ever been, which it isn't yet. Except maybe it is, but I can't tell because I don't straighten it anymore. Its definitely not as long as it has been before when straightened. I think it will start to feel long when I hit that milestone (top BSL).

also, I really don't believe yet that I can hit lengths I've never hit before. Which is why I think waist will feel long to me. I never even imagined I could have waist length hair, especially not when curly and I won't believe it until I see it and meanwhile I keep being impatient and feeling like my hair is short. Seeing midback and waist length hair routinely on LHC also doesn't help. In real life, I hardly ever see hair that long, which makes me feel even more as if I won't and can't achieve it.

meanwhile, everybody else in my life thinks my hair is long. My husband thinks my hair dysmorphia is severe. APL is long around here, especially thick APl, especially for an older women and I know few others with hair that long. And it stretches to bottom BSL, which is considered like really, really long in this area.
Where I grew up shoulder length was long (and I always had it). Now I feel as if that's short.

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2014, 03:39 PM
My hair is nearing waist there are times I feel like my hair is at bsl. I don't know why it feels that way but it does.

DreamSheep
November 13th, 2014, 05:01 PM
After years of having short hair, shoulder length and armpit length felt long!
Then, after a couple of years I got used to it and it felt normal.
Now I joined the LHC, and it feels short :p

pearlsandpinups
November 13th, 2014, 06:18 PM
My hair is BSL and definitely doesn't feel long to me. That's because just earlier this year before I chopped it off, it was mid-back length. I can't wait to get to waist, I've never had it that long so I'm hoping it feels long then. :D

mica
November 13th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I guess I'm lucky then, my hair began to feel long even before BSL and it still feels long now. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that a) I've had short hair for years b) Didn't stress about my length or had a certain goal in mind for most of it, I just let it grow

me_random
November 13th, 2014, 07:09 PM
same here, mine's almost to bcl, (i'm 5'11"), and it still just feels so *short* ... :( (maybe when I can use it for a blanket it'll feel longish...)

ghost
November 13th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Mine is nearly BCL and it feels long when it's down, but if I have it in a ponytail or something like that, it doesn't feel long.

LauraLongLocks
November 13th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I am past hip, and it doesn't feel or look long to me yet. I really think BCL to TBL will be when it is properly long to me. Anything after that is just more frosting on the cake.

Micayla47
November 13th, 2014, 09:05 PM
It seems to me that fine hair never feels long because it's not heavy enough. I'm at my mini-goal of waist and the only time my hair feels even remotely long is when it's wet and full of conditioner.

Agnes Hannah
November 17th, 2014, 10:35 AM
I'm at waist, the longest it has ever been, and it feels short to me. When it is wet it feels heavier and longer, but in the main, it feels short. Can't wait to be BCl

lapushka
November 17th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I'm TBL now, and it is starting to feel properly long, mainly because I can feel it touching my butt. :lol:

Puffer Fish
November 17th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I've never had hair past my shoulders, but I'm not even up to that point yet so my hair definitely doesn't feel long yet by even my own standards. Anything past the end of this year is going to feel bizarre and long for me until I get used to having hair that stays where I put it, lol.

DragonAngel
November 17th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Mine feels long all the time yet never feels really long, I think once I can feel it tickling my bum when I am stood making my morning coffee then I will know I have hit a personal goal.

Taenarian
November 17th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Mine's long enough to wear up all the time so I don't have to think about how I feel it's too short to wear down. Which it isn't, it's beautiful at MBL and that's only beginning to feel like it could be long.

nakima
November 17th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I'm between hip and tbl and some days it seems long to me and other days it doesn't not sure why that is :shrug:

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Boosting this thread because I feel as the new year is coming and the dull canadian winter is setting in, I'm in this exact position despite coming so far.

hayheadsbird
December 29th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I'm the same, BSL heading towards waist and doesn't feel long. It doesn't feel short either though.

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I'm the same, BSL heading towards waist and doesn't feel long. It doesn't feel short either though.

I should hopefully be there by april, but it still seems so far away. How about you?

mizukitty
December 29th, 2016, 04:10 PM
BSL and doesn't feel long at all. For me it's "medium." I've never really had "short" hair (as in chin length) but once in like 5th grade, so my idea of length is different to the societal standard. Waist is "kinda long" and then hip is long and BCL+ is really long.

hayheadsbird
December 29th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I should hopefully be there by april, but it still seems so far away. How about you?

Should be there by summer, 5 months or so growth to go! I was hoping for Easter, but that's never gonna happen!

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 04:57 PM
BSL and doesn't feel long at all. For me it's "medium." I've never really had "short" hair (as in chin length) but once in like 5th grade, so my idea of length is different to the societal standard. Waist is "kinda long" and then hip is long and BCL+ is really long.

I feel the same way. I've had APL all my life and waist feels like the "beginning" of long hair. I'm excited but also impatient.

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Should be there by summer, 5 months or so growth to go! I was hoping for Easter, but that's never gonna happen!

I'm hoping for mid-april but I'm not sure. *crosses fingers*

hayheadsbird
December 29th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I'm hoping for mid-april but I'm not sure. *crosses fingers*

Have you got a copy of the spreadsheet? It's really good at predicting growth rate based on past data. I'll see if I can bump the thread for you!

luvlonghair75
December 29th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I know this feeling! Hair is longer, some people admit hair envy (finally! lol) yet it doesn't look or feeeel that long... yet! When does this phase end? Do I need to be tripping over it? LOL

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Have you got a copy of the spreadsheet? It's really good at predicting growth rate based on past data. I'll see if I can bump the thread for you!

I've downloaded it but I have to say, I'm not very well versed in Excel so I'm still experimenting with it. So far I've just been measuring my landmarks, subtracting to get the length between the milestones, and dividing by my growth rate.

Currently I just have a word document that I use as a hair journal, simple but effective lol.

Mimha
December 29th, 2016, 05:34 PM
At home, when I detangle before going to bed, my hair nicely covers all my lower back and feels quite long to me. But if I browse some very long hair sites, I feel that my hair still has kilometer to grow before it can be eligible for "very long" kind of comment. For me, "very long" starts somewhere below TBL. And when I see a girl with remarkably long hair in the street and then realize that my hair is actually significantly longer, I need to adjust my self perception because I always feel kinda waist, whereas I'm about an inch past hip. So it depends of the moment and of the circumstances, lol.

browneyedsusan
December 29th, 2016, 05:38 PM
It's all relative.
It depends on what you're used to, and your frame of mind. :blossom:

My hair felt long at APL, because that was a "personal longest" for me. (It hadn't been that long since I was a child.) If you're used to hair being knee length, the frame of reference is entirely different, eh?

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 29th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Oi i have the problem where it feels like its longer, but doesn't LOOK longer...

Salwety
December 30th, 2016, 03:35 AM
Me too Rebecca , my hair is not long to start with, it is almost BSL straight, but it has a lot of layers where the shortest is at chin length. And as I am 3b, it all shrinks to shoulder length, which is soooo annoying. Welcome in my world.

HairPlease
December 30th, 2016, 04:55 AM
I had a V hemline near waist earlier this summer. It felt like APL.

FWIW, V-hemlines seems to give the feeling of shorter hair, based on the old saying, "your hair looks and feels as long as it's shortest layer" or in this case, your hair looks and feels as long as where the bulk is.

Of the Fae
December 30th, 2016, 05:08 AM
My hair is way longer than it has ever been. My whole life I had a length between pixie and barely APL. I am at waist now and it still weirdly feels much shorter than it is! As more people in this thread say, it feels long when it's wet and full of conditioner :P
When wet my longest strands are at hip. But I still feel like I am around BSL as well, because at the front it looks much shorter.

likelikepenny
December 30th, 2016, 07:32 AM
I had a V hemline near waist earlier this summer. It felt like APL.

FWIW, V-hemlines seems to give the feeling of shorter hair, based on the old saying, "your hair looks and feels as long as it's shortest layer" or in this case, your hair looks and feels as long as where the bulk is.

That makes sense as to why my hair feels apl even though its bsl. The bulk of my hair ends at Apl, interesting.

DarkChocolate
December 30th, 2016, 08:12 AM
My hair does not feel long at waist because of the taper.

Hairkay
December 30th, 2016, 09:58 AM
My hair has a lot of shrinkage. That's tight curls for you. That comes in handy when changing a hairstyle for one that looks shorter.

Dark40
December 30th, 2016, 04:19 PM
I have to totally disagree. Even though I've never had hip length hair and beyond before to me hip length does feel long. I was able to know what it felt like to have hip length hair before from a weave before, and to me it felt pretty long. But with my real hair now reaching BSL it doesn't feel long to me at all.

likelikepenny
December 30th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I have to totally disagree. Even though I've never had hip length hair and beyond before to me hip length does feel long. I was able to know what it felt like to have hip length hair before from a weave before, and to me it felt pretty long. But with my real hair now reaching BSL it doesn't feel long to me at all.

Well seeing as I don't flat iron my hair everyday (as i would with a weave) it get's discouraging at times.

Dark40
December 30th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Well seeing as I don't flat iron my hair everyday (as i would with a weave) it get's discouraging at times.

Ok. Yeah, I don't flat iron my hair everyday either. I may flat iron just to see it's length once or twice a week. It does get discouraging at times but I go to youtube or come here a lot, and that's what keeps my inspiration up to wanting to continue to let my hair grow superlong.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 30th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Ok. Yeah, I don't flat iron my hair everyday either. I may flat iron just to see it's length once or twice a week. It does get discouraging at times but I go to youtube or come here a lot, and that's what keeps my inspiration up to wanting to continue to let my hair grow superlong.

If you want superlong hair, don't flat iron. It causes damage which will show up sooner or later and stop you getting superlong hair...

Dark40
December 30th, 2016, 07:48 PM
If you want superlong hair, don't flat iron. It causes damage which will show up sooner or later and stop you getting superlong hair...

Ok, thanks for the advice.... I love how thick and long your blonde hair is!!! My hair is thick also. Not as yours. But it's thick enough.

thunderseed
December 30th, 2016, 09:00 PM
I don't have this problem, sometimes I feel like cutting my hair off because it gets in my way.

And when I look at others, I consider anything past shoulder length and below to be long.