PDA

View Full Version : questions about shampoo for volume

hannabiss
November 11th, 2014, 06:43 PM
If there is already a tread please link me.
My questions
A) how does it work and what is it really doing?
B) is the shampoo similar to clarifying shampoo in that it strips oils well?
C)is it just like any other shampoo?

I ask because my mom bought my Aussie volume shampoo and conditioner. (The condition is cone-free surpisingly...unless i missed it on the list)

amanda_the_tall
November 11th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Usually the volumizing ones have panthenol in them, or some kind of protein in them, to help "add firmness" to the hair, if you will. They don't really do anything differently, they just don't have conditioning ingredients in them to weigh hair down like in more moisturizing shampoos. I have that shampoo now, it does a good job of cleaning but doesn't completely strip my hair too terribly bad, however I do use cones. I think the conditioner actually does have a cone in it (from the ingredients lists I'm reading online), but the shampoo will take care of it.

cat11
November 11th, 2014, 08:49 PM
these threads may help you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-36551.html
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-80322.html

Generally volumizing shampoos seem to be a little more drying, so yes, more like a clarifyer. Which makes sense. I have full hair but when it is drier it is way fuller as opposed to super conditioned.

ZeppHead
November 12th, 2014, 09:25 AM
:shrug::shrug::shrug:I have fine hair so I always used to try volumizing shampoo. I found them to be more drying than other formulas so I would then slather on the conditioner making it flat as usual. ...seemed counterproductive to me so I stopped trying and just let my hair do its thing. Health was more important to me than making it look fuller. I never tried aussie volume but aussie was always heavy on my hair so I stopped using that line.

Johannah
November 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Volumizing shampoos are shampoos which are 'lighter', which means they are less 'moisturizing'. So yes, they can be more drying (like clarifying shampoos).

Rowdy
November 12th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Volumizing shampoos are shampoos which are 'lighter', which means they are less 'moisturizing'. So yes, they can be more drying (like clarifying shampoos).

Good to know! My hair needs lots of moisture, this explains why volumizing stuff just makes it frizz

Panth
November 12th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Generally, the main difference I've seen in the ingredients is that "volume" or "for fine hair" shampoos generally are low-ingredient and don't contain any conditioner-like ingredients (which are in a surprisingly large amount of all other shampoos). So, no 'cones (yes, they put 'cones in shampoos), no moisturising ingredients, humectants, etc.

They are similar to a clarifying shampoo in that they are generally low-ingredient and lacking things that build-up. However, the concentration of cleansing agent is generally lower (as they're for regular use, not purposeful stripping) so they probably won't work as a clarifying shampoo.

hannabiss
November 12th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Thank you all for your answers and response. Ill use this up.

lapushka
November 12th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Good to know! My hair needs lots of moisture, this explains why volumizing stuff just makes it frizz

If you moisturize well after, this shouldn't be a problem.