PDA

View Full Version : A few questions! All help appreciated!

xoChesleyy
November 11th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Hi all! I have horrible root regrowth at the moment and I was looking for an easy, temporary solution. I went to Sally Beauty Supply and I purchased the Clairol Radiance Colorgloss in 1A (black) and the Clairol Beautiful Collection semi-permanent dye in jet black. I know with Colorgloss alone, my roots probably won't be as dark as I'd like. So I have a few questions..

1. Should I clarify before applying either of these?
2. Which should be applied first? I was wondering if I could apply the semi-permanent dye and then the colorgloss (or vice versa) but does this matter? I am unsure if I apply either of them first, then the latter, if this would effect the other one from "sticking" to my hair.

Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to reading the responses!

xoChesleyy
November 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Anybody have an answer? :confused:

mira-chan
November 11th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I don't know about the second question, but check the ingredients in the hair dye. If it has a detergent as an ingredient, then you probably don't need to clarify. They dye mix will do that for you.

cat11
November 11th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I would definately dye it before "glossing" it. Both semi-permanent dye and glosses coat your hair but semi-permanent seems to be more heavy duty so I would put that on first and then the lighter gloss over it.

Also I think with all hair dye you arent supposed to do it right after washing, but like a day later. So you dont have oils but your hair isnt super dry and drinking up the chemicals. If you let it get dirty or wait longer then the dye will have a harder time "sinking in" due to the oil on your hair shafts. I would think this would be the same with semi-permanent dye. I used to dye my hair with semi-permanent hair dye and I would make it as dry as possible before applying the stuff so it soaked in. Also a tip is to keep the semi-permanent dye on a really long time, as long as it doesnt have bad chemicals (like manic panic... I used to do this with manic panic) you can even leave it on like all night. Put plastic wrap and then point the blow dryer at it because the heat makes more soak in so it'll be blacker. (all my hair dying and the bleaching I did before really messed up my hair condition over time tho. I used to dye it black like you forever but eventually it took its toll... my ends that used to be dyed are so fragile now... maybe it would have been different if I went with semi-permanent but I didnt do that until I dyed it diff. colors after bleaching..)

kidari
November 11th, 2014, 06:57 PM
^^ I agree

What color are you starting with right now? I would just do roots only with the gloss. Mix only what you need, and save the rest for the next root touchup. Then at least a day later I would do the semi if the rest of your hair really needs the color refreshed. When you know you are going to be dying you can do a deep cleanse/clarify/etc. and follow that with a protein treatment... they have protein fillers you can use too prior to dying or even mixed into your dye. After dying it's best to use moisture and sealing treatments IMO. Semi is the one that doesn't need to be mixed with a developer, right? I agree with the post above, if you want it to really stick and be super dark then I would wash first (no conditioner) and let it dry completely. Then make neat sections and saturate the hair with the dye in each section, wrap it in plastic, and wait a while (depending on how dark you want it and how much you want it to stick) you can even process with heat if you have a hooded dryer. In my opinion, jet black looks super unnatural and way too harsh on most people if it's too dark and saturated. You should dye at your own risk.... but rules are meant to be broken sometimes and some people can really rock jet black hair. You're lucky you are using semi... I used too many demis and even the 10% developer took a toll on my hair. I've been having to cut a lot off.

xoChesleyy
November 11th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Thank you for all of your replies! My hair is black from henna and indigo but my roots are a light brown color. I have Manic Panic as well and my only complaint is that the black (I think it's called Raven?) does have a greenish tint to it and it dyes my scalp green until my next wash or two. :P I'm not going to completely give up henna and indigo, because I love the results and how much it has helped my hair, but I haven't had the time for it.. So I'm doing this as a temporary fix. Although conventional dye would be the easiest solution, it would not be worth the side effects or the damage it would cause to my hair. Kidari, that's horrible. :( I've always heard that demi hair dyes are significantly better than hair dyes although still damaging.. On the positive side of things, at least you weren't using permanent dyes!

cat11
November 11th, 2014, 08:40 PM
^ that's a really good idea to just abstain from the conventional dye. Your hair looks so black in your avatar! Im considering doing henna and indigo when my hair goes grey if I can't accept it, haha. I love black hair and I miss mine... but don't want to dye anymore and deal with maitenance and damage. Plus as much as I wish I had black hair I've finally accepted my color and I like it -too,- if that makes sense lol. But seriously your hair looks so black in your avvie I'm really impressed with the henna/indigo if that's what your hair is dyed with in the pic

Rio040113
November 12th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Thank you for all of your replies! My hair is black from henna and indigo but my roots are a light brown color. I have Manic Panic as well and my only complaint is that the black (I think it's called Raven?) does have a greenish tint to it and it dyes my scalp green until my next wash or two. :P I'm not going to completely give up henna and indigo, because I love the results and how much it has helped my hair, but I haven't had the time for it.. So I'm doing this as a temporary fix. Although conventional dye would be the easiest solution, it would not be worth the side effects or the damage it would cause to my hair. Kidari, that's horrible. :( I've always heard that demi hair dyes are significantly better than hair dyes although still damaging.. On the positive side of things, at least you weren't using permanent dyes!

What colour are your roots? I've done MP Raven and MP Purple Haze side by side (over henna and on my roots) and honestly both turned out jet black on my hair, so maybe Purple Haze could be an option? :) I'm not 100pct sure but I think conventional hair dyes can interact badly with henna/indigo, so it might be worth checking that before doing your roots!