PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone cleaned a hairbrush this way?

spirals
November 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I've read here that many of you use a shampoo or castile soap bath to clean your BBB. Here's what I just did:

1. Get all the excess hair/lint out with a brush cleaner or even a vacuum cleaner hose attachment. Do the best you can; if there's some lint left, that's alright.
2. Dump baking soda all over the bristles and then douse with vinegar over the sink. After a few seconds, turn the brush bristle-side down and tap on the side of the sink bowl. The lint should fall out.
3. Rinse with warm water and airdry bristle-side down on a towel. You can also dry it with a hairdryer.
4. As for the sink, it's probably best to pick up the lint with a cleaning rag and thrown that in the laundry, rather than run it down the sink.

I'll keep using this method and see how it goes.

ZeppHead
November 11th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Hmm nope. I use clarifying shampoo on the bristles of my bb brush lather it good then scrub all my wide tooth combs with the soapy bb brush then let them sit in the sink with warm water for a few minutes then rinse. This is how I've been doing it for years once a week.

DweamGoiL
November 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM
For the most part, I just use soapy warm water and use an MP nylon brush to brush the dirt off my BBB. Once in a while I do use the clarifying shampoo diluted and soak just the brush bristles in the water for a few minutes and then brush again and rinse.

cat11
November 11th, 2014, 08:42 PM
No ihavent tried it but I think I might try it soon now on my tangle teaser. That thing is so hard to clean. I havent used it for months because of the mess in it.

LauraLongLocks
November 11th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I usually just use shampoo and a nail brush, but I should give the baking soda and vinegar idea a try. Sounds neat.

ARG
November 11th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I use a nail brush, tweezers, and shampoo on my TT and BBB.

Would the vinegar/baking soda dry out the wood?

CathyGo
November 11th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I use Dr. Bronners and a cheap fine tooth comb for my plastic brushes(tangle teezer type). I've also used baby shampoo on my BBB and it's worked okay but it doesn't get the lint out. Mine is splitting anyway because I used it wet to brush my hair and tame frizzies for a few years.

spirals
November 11th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Would the vinegar/baking soda dry out the wood?
We'll find out because I'm going to keep it up and see how long it lasts. I have to replace my brushes at least once a year due to breakage anyway (the brushes, not my hair; it kills stuff).

Madora
November 12th, 2014, 12:01 AM
We'll find out because I'm going to keep it up and see how long it lasts. I have to replace my brushes at least once a year due to breakage anyway (the brushes, not my hair; it kills stuff).

Frankly, I am dumbfounded that you need to replace your brushes at least once a year due to breakage!!! How on earth are you using your brush???? A pure bbb should last at least 5 years. My brushes last an average of 8 to 10 years...with daily cleaning.

spirals
November 12th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Because my hair is like He-man. It pulls bristles out, flings brushes across the room, snaps hair toys and brush handles, spits out hair pins, etc. It's evil. I don't mind; I like brush-shopping. "Oh, darn; my brush broke. I hafta go shopping at Sally's." :whistle: :D

iluvbooks
November 12th, 2014, 02:11 AM
I just kinda rinse it with water. And not very often >.> Maybe I should be washing it more . . . lol

fiğrildi
November 12th, 2014, 05:10 AM
I only use a nail brush and water to clean my brushes.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I use a nail brush, shampoo and warm water to clean mine.