PDA

View Full Version : Failed sock bun curls - What can I do?

aforestfae
November 11th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I tried to sock bun curl my hair on Saturday, it was freshly washed but wasn't dripping wet when I put it up (I had used setting lotion to keep the curls in because my hair is stubborn) but it was still damp on Sunday so I thought I'd leave it another day as my hair shouldn't be greasy by Monday if I washed my hair Saturday evening.
But when I took it out on Monday morning my roots felt greasy (it always does when I've had my hair up in a sock bun but it's only sock buns that do it :ponder:) there was a large ponytail kink in my hair because if I don't put it in a ponytail it doesn't hold well enough.
The rest of my hair was curled really well but still damp, it felt a bit odd, i couldn't tell if it was grease or just damp so in the end I had to wash my hair and try something else.
Problem is I can't do it on dry hair or it won't curl, it wouldn't even wave so it has to be damp.
So what's up with my sock buns?
Is there a better way to get loose curls?
I'm not a fan of rollers or cocoon curls I can never get my hair into even sections, I did love straw curls though but it's so time consuming which is a shame cause it looked awesome.

allierat
November 11th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Have you tried doing the method on dry hair and spraying it damp afterwards? That works well for me.
try searching "no heat curls" or "heatless curls" on youtube, there's lots of different ways.

eva888
November 11th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Having dry hair that has been sprayed damp definitely works the best for me!

I usually do braid waves, but if you're looking for "curls" instead of "waves" this youtube video (http://youtu.be/W4WHpVJgpe0?list=PLh5X5d7_JC0NiwtdYqUlt_luFQcJ-XLS7) has a nice way that I hadn't seen yet. Skip to 3:00 to see it. There are also "headband curls" which there are a lot of youtube videos about. Sock bun curls have never worked for me because my hair always manages to have one part that got shoved in the wrong way and then has a strange kink in it.

aforestfae
November 11th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Having dry hair that has been sprayed damp definitely works the best for me!

I usually do braid waves, but if you're looking for "curls" instead of "waves" this youtube video (http://youtu.be/W4WHpVJgpe0?list=PLh5X5d7_JC0NiwtdYqUlt_luFQcJ-XLS7) has a nice way that I hadn't seen yet. Skip to 3:00 to see it. There are also "headband curls" which there are a lot of youtube videos about. Sock bun curls have never worked for me because my hair always manages to have one part that got shoved in the wrong way and then has a strange kink in it.

I tried out that twisty thing she does in the video before but I think I did that on wet hair too so I can't remember how that worked, I will try it again though :)
And headband curls I can't do well, as soon as I switch to the opposite side the other starts loosening up, even using two headbands doesn't curl right.

eva888
November 11th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Maybe it's the kind of headband you're using? You can also do buns! Just regular twisty buns. I'm definitely a braid wave girl though. Dutch braids work the best on me! :)

eva888
November 11th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Oh! and I tried the thing she did from the video but my hair is too short I think. It looked really funny only curled at the very ends. :P

Nadine <3
November 11th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I put a ponytail on top of my head but very loose so I don't get a big bump. I take a little spray bottle and lightly dampen my hair that way and I get great curls that way, and since it wasn't very wet to begin with, it dries very easily.