PDA

View Full Version : New Style Challenge, join me?

Amara
September 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Would anyone like to join me in a New Style Challenge? I am doing 30 days.

The idea: I always wear the same two styles. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I get lazy and rather than trying out all the cool things other members here do, I just go "meh, mutant figure 8 again for me today!"

So, I am challenging myself to do a style I've never done before each day for 30 days. I did give myself permission to skip a day or two if I'm tired/lazy/sick/running out of time etc, but I have to finish my 30 new styles by Halloween!

I thought if some of us are trying this together, we can help each other find new style ideas as we go through our month! Post descriptions here or with a pic in your albums and we'll all find inspiration.

I'm posting my new styles in my "updos" album, I'm on day 3 so far.

So... who's in?

JessTheMess
September 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I would love to give it a shot, but I fear I am doomed to do my same s styles until I get some type of gift of coordination lol. For now I am doomed to the lazy bun and braid,

cicada
September 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Are going to try a new style for each day? What about wearing a new style for each week? Then count me in :) . I like the idea but everyday would be difficult for me.

ole gray mare
September 26th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I concur with Cicada. A goal of one new style per week would be pretty ambitious for me, but I'm willing to give it a go! I usually wear two styles: my own invented rolled back sides, bunned back with ficcare for work days, and braids on weekends. I'm so boring...need to try some new things and I have sticks I've never even worn.

So I'll join, but realistically, one new style per week would be pushing it for me!

Amara
September 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I understand about the daily thing being hard. I've been planning mine the night before because I know if I don't have a plan I'll just give up and do the figure 8. :)

How about you can make your own version of the challenge?

One new per week, one new per day, one every other day, whatever! Just let us know what version of the challenge you're doing and then post to update! :)

heatherainsley
September 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
ooh,I want to join in I think I will do a new one every day for a week to start. I will go browse for some ideas now.

Amara
September 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Sweet! I've been tracking down ideas too...

Neysa
September 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Sure, I'll kick in. I'll try a new style every other day though. And the unfortunate thing is, if I ride, it's going to get put back into a braid for the rest of my barn chores. My hairstylist is amazing. He is also, however, normally at work and cannot stop making his pizzas to play with his fiance's hair.

Jean_Grey
September 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I like this! I think I'll do a new one every week at least. That would be a good way for me to branch out of my comfort zone and improve my techniques.

Aditi
September 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Even i m joining but i will do a new hairstyle every weekend till a month. As i live in a dusty climate so its hard-and-fast rule for me to do braid or bun to save my hairs from getting damage.

Neysa
September 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Are we going to share the styles we have come up with? Like pictures or descriptions?

Amara
September 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Yes please share! Mine for today is in my album, I did a variation on the Stardust hairdo that we had a thread about a while ago. It's holding comfy so far, and I really like how all my hair is up, but it still looks relaxed and sort of romantic. 4 new styles down!

TheStorm
September 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'd love to join in but I'm with the majority on this, to learn a new style every day is a little too steep, and I'm not sure I can think of enough styles to try either. Maybee all week to learn a new style and post a pic wearing it at the weekend would be more of a realistic target.

It has given me an idea for the next style challenge though if you feel like doing another after this one, other people post a style on the forum for you (or for someone) to try, challenge to so many styles rather than an amount of days. Just a thought.

Neysa
September 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I have another issue! I don't know what to call what I do with my hair! Oh yeah, and I can't post them here. Yesterday I did a plain old bun, today, using my new silver chopsticks, I braided the top half of my hair, then banded it, and braided the second half, and banded it. I looked VERY silly at that point, but it made a ponytail of two braids. I took the two sticks, one either side pointing at each other, and then kind of did a sideways 8. I took my butterfly clip and used that to secure my ends. When I am able to do albums and such, I'll upload piccys.

Suldrun
September 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Amara,

I really like this idea, in fact I did it a while ago when and it really got me in the habit of wearing my hair up and learning new things ( I have an entire album dedicted to my experiment if you want to laugh at some of the things I did) But...........it was really hard and a bit too much for me I was overwhelmed

I really like the once a week idea though I actually like the idea of doing mostly the one style every day so I get better at it. The problem for me with the everyday thing was that I just did not have the time or energy to really practice and get good at a style.

I am going to start a new album this week dedicated to 30 new hairstyles one new one a week:D

Thanks Amara for getting me back in the spirit of new styles ( I have been boring latety:o)

Amara
September 30th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I am glad some of you joined in! I totally think the spirit of this is not how often we try a new one, but that we try new ones at all! My newest ones, with descriptions, are in my albums, if you want pics.

I've done: double figure 8 buns one on top of the other vertically - that was very messy but comfy.

A pony tail cinnabun - this was my favorite so far. Just make two "layers" of your cinnabun, enough to secure, and leave the rest hanging.

A mutant french twist (tomorrow I try the log roll!) with a hairzing - my hair is way too long for a french twist, I am now positive.

The Stardust style that Yvaine wears on the pirate ship that somebody wrote tutorial for here a while ago - I made it different though since that didn't work for me.

And trolleypup's lazybun, although I didn't know it officially "existed" at the time, I was just messing around with a Chinese Bun variation. :)

What're you folks planning on trying first?

Suldrun
September 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Well I guess not all my styles are going to be brand new for me because there were many on my first 30 day chllange that really really need work.

I want to be able to do double dutch braids so the dutch braid practice will begin tommorow. Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to do 2 that don't look totaly wonky lol.

I also want to practice my side rolls ( like in your stardust pic. which is lovely by the way:) )
So next week I will do side rolls but I have not decided on the bun yet.

I also had some nice ladies do a neat hairstyle at renfest. It was 2 figure 8 type buns crossed to look kind of like a 4 leaf clover it was really cool I will try to replicate it ( i took pictures)

sky
October 1st, 2008, 02:13 AM
:lol: It would take me a week to master most of the styles I see around here.

Good luck!

sky

Amara
October 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Suldrun - I think "mastering" an updo counts as a new one, if you've tried it before and weren't happy with it! I would like to get two french braids done - I can't do french on twin braids. I can do a french single. Or a dutch single. What sense does that make? LOL My fingers just get all confused.

What styles are you all working on?

I had a small disaster at my house this morning, so up it went in my new trusty cinnabun pony. I've already discovered a new style I really like. :) I think I'm going to try a rope french braid while I'm at work, we'll see how that goes.

Suldrun
October 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM
I hope everythings OK Amara. I was busy this morning so I left it in my night braids lol.

I had some time to practice the dutch braids in the afternoon so right now I have a floppy messy right dutch braid and the one on the left actually looks pretty good yay.

My inspiration for wanting to do the dutch braids is on dreamweaverbraiding.com under classic. Its 2 dutch braids that re rolled up into a bun in the back. My short term goal is to be able to have 2 semi-decent dutch braids by the end of the week.

Suldrun
October 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Have you all checked out the hair updo dictionary yet it looks amazing :)

I did 1 and 1/4 dutch braids today I am starting to get the feel of it.

honeybee
October 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
I'm in! Although it is difficult for me because my hair is in layers, and short for buns, and I'm a late riser. :D

Guess, two each week for a month is good enough for me. :)

ole gray mare
October 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Okay, I tried a new one (for me, anyway!) The chinese bun. My hair is dirty and frizzy in this photo, but I got the hang of this bun and will be able to do it for a work day next week, which is really the point of this for me, is to have variety in my daily styles.

Note the adorable stick I used. I've had it for months but have never used it. It is a pink lily. :inlove:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/katrinabee/Sept081001cropped.jpg

Amara
October 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Whoa nice! I've gotten 7 new styles done but I ditched for a few days because I was busy with dance gigs.

I'm trying to get twin french braids going on for tomorrow.

6monkeys
October 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm in ! I think 2 styles a week is good for me. I am already having fun perusing the boards and trying the different styles that I see. Today I tried the rose bun--doesn't look that great, but a lot of fun to try!

6monkeys
October 4th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ummm, do I actually have to go out where people can see for the styles to count?:rolleyes:

Amara
October 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Ummm, do I actually have to go out where people can see for the styles to count?:rolleyes:

Nah, that's definitely not a requirement. :D

6monkeys
October 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
thank goodness--wouldn't want to scare the neighbors or the kids friends!

Suldrun
October 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
ole grey mare, That looks perfect :cheer:and I love the pink against your hair color.

Amara, I am impressed 7 new styles good for you:cheer:

OK I am very happy with the dutch braid I just did. It is definitly working for me to just do a little ( one or 2 dutch braids ) a day. Even though I did not start on a Sunday I am going to call tommorow the end of the week so that it's easy to keep track.

My main goal was to be able to do really nice double dutch braids but that was a bit too much this week. I am very happy with my single dutch braid though so I call it a success.

Tommorow I will decide what I am working on next week. It will be side rolls and some sort of bun. I haven't decide yet.

Suldrun
October 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Welcome 6monkeys. I have been doing an easy style that I know during the day and just practicing my new style when I get the chance. I did this because my new style looked um .....well lets just say I would not leave the house with it the way it looked at first lol. I have done 2 that looked good enough to wear out and its gatting faster and easier so I will do my new style tommorow for the day and take a picture:)

Welcome Honeybee.

Suldrun
October 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I started a new album today. I have been practicing dutch braids. I wanted to do double dutch braids but that was too much. so i am happy with the progress on my single dutch. tday I did a single dutch braid then rolled the braid up under and pinned it. I really like thid look and will do it again:)

Its the first picture in my new album if anyone wants to see .

honeybee
October 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hey....so here goes my first new style:
I have layered hair, below my shoulders, difficult to style in updos. So I did a half bun, secured with a stick, then braided the remaining hair and wrapped them around the bun. tada!

6monkeys
October 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Ok, today I have done a rope braid quick bun, but after reading about dutch braids, I am thinking that I will do those tomorrow and bun the ends. Thank you, Suldrun, for the encouragement.

honeybee
October 8th, 2008, 05:44 AM
okay here's another:
remember I have layered hair? So I gathered top half of hair and made a bun slightly to left of back center of my head, and then gathered the rest of them and made a bun slightly right of the back center of my head. Then put a hair stick through both....infinity bun sort of look! :)

SolSara
October 9th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Okey, so I'm in. :) I made a list with all the up-do's I should be able to do, but never really have worn, and put it up in the bathroom. So now I only have to glance at the list and pick something from it. :)

I'm going for like four new styles/week. Shouldn't be that hard, using different variations of everyone. I will try to post pics in an album. :)

Speckla
October 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I'm ready for some new styles. I can bun and do a simple three strand braid now. I need some more ideas. I'd love to do a crown braid and wear the rest down and curly. I've tried watching videos and reading on how to do fancy braids but I'm still clueless.
________
Synthetic Weed (http://syntheticweed.org)

Amara
October 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Suldrun your braid in your album looks nice!! :)

honeybee your styles for your layered hair sound really inventive and awesome! I bet they look super cute.

I missed a few days but jumped back on the bandwagon with twin french braids. They were pretty loose but it worked! Yay! I didn't get a picture of it, though. But I did get a picture (in my album) of the latest style I did, which was twin rope braids wrapped into a crown braid!

honeybee
October 13th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks Amara!

Another one that I tried today but which didn't work out :(

I separated top layer and bottom layer, and twisted them around each other, forming it into a bun at the same time, then pinned it up with a hairstick and bobbypins. But it got loose by midday and I had to resort to a ponytail for the rest of the day :(

I find that when I wash my hair, it cannot be bunned that day and the next! :(

Amara
October 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Well, originally I wanted to do 30 new styles by Halloween. Maybe I'll be able to try out 15 new styles tomorrow. Haha! I got 15 new styles done of my "30 new style challenge." I'm going to keep going till I get to 30. Maybe by Thanksgiving?

How's everybody else doing?

There are a bunch of pics in my album of the new ones I've tried.