PDA

View Full Version : Question about growing out extremely damaged hair

nyannyan
November 10th, 2014, 09:35 AM
First of all, hello! :) I've been reading this forum (mostly the thread about growing out bleach/dye) for a while now and it's been pretty helpful. I apologize if this isn't the right place to post my question, and also if my question is a bit stupid, but I'm a noob. :( So, about 3 months ago, I decided to completely give up bleaching, dyeing, heat and basically all of the hair-killing procedures. The last time I dyed my hair was so the dyed hair can sort of match my natural color, so it won't be too obvious that I'm growing it out. It's been going pretty well, however I do have one concern. My hair is incredibly damaged from all the things I've done to it in the past. :( It's to the point where my split "ends" are pretty much at the top of my hair. The thing that I wanted to ask was if my natural hair will be like that too. I know that it's new and completely healthy hair, but I was wondering if it's possible my split "ends" to affect the new growth in any way. I started taking good care of my hair and I trim the ends every month. I also cut quite a bit when I decided to start growing out my natural hair color. I obviously can't cut all of the split "ends", because of where they start. :( And yeah, basically, what I'm asking is, will my new hair be fine or there won't be any change? Once again, I'm sorry if my question was stupid. I just need to get this out of my head, because it's seriously bothering me right now. Thank you! :)

ChloeDharma
November 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM
It should be fine, just take good care of your hair and keep it protected then once your damaged hair has been trimmed off the new hair should be ok.

ZeppHead
November 10th, 2014, 11:06 AM
The new growth wont be damaged. ..if that's what your asking. I would think a few inches off the ends is needed if there's severe damage and your looking to grow your hair. The hair coming out of your head reflects what you put into your body. Eat well drink water be healthy and your hair will show it. But the hair already out needs to be cared for. Trim some off and baby it. Trim off slow if need be but I personally like to take off what needs taken off and just grow from there.

fiğrildi
November 10th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Your new hair will grow healthy, if you take good care of it. I am in the process of growing out severe perm damage, and so far I'm doing well (like you, I used to have splits from the top of my head, till the ends... now the split ends are almost gone!). You'll need to trim regularly, or microtrim, in order to gradually get rid of the damage you already have. Moisturise, pamper, be gentle to your hair, and you'll see how you'll end up with a head full of happy, healthy hair, soon :)

How long is your hair at the moment?
Welcome to the forum! And if you any any other questions, just let us know :flower:

nyannyan
November 10th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Thank you everyone for answering! :) I really appreciate it and it definitely calmed me down. I will continue taking care of my hair and everything will be alright. :)

fiğrildi, thank you so much for the welcoming! And good job on growing out the damaged hair! :)
As for the current length of my hair, I've never measured it and I'm kinda bad when it comes to explaining, so I will just post a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/uRQoyxk.jpg
I'm not really comfortable with my face being visible. I'm sorry if it seems a bit ridiculous. The bad quality isn't really showing how damaged my hair is, but that is a good thing, I guess. :D

fiğrildi
November 10th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Thank you everyone for answering! :) I really appreciate it and it definitely calmed me down. I will continue taking care of my hair and everything will be alright. :)

fiğrildi, thank you so much for the welcoming! And good job on growing out the damaged hair! :)
As for the current length of my hair, I've never measured it and I'm kinda bad when it comes to explaining, so I will just post a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/uRQoyxk.jpg
I'm not really comfortable with my face being visible. I'm sorry if it seems a bit ridiculous. The bad quality isn't really showing how damaged my hair is, but that is a good thing, I guess. :D

I would call that APL (armpit length). Here's a chart you can look for future reference: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-itlxBoYOC3c/U7wuWSK_5LI/AAAAAAAAAU0/sv2Bef1ZTxc/s1600/longueur.jpeg
Don't worry, a lot of us cover our faces when posting in the forum :wink:

And I have to say that your hair doesn't look damaged at all in that picture! Your ends look fresh and healthy.
Good luck on improving the condition of your hair, and happy growing! :flower:

nyannyan
November 10th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Thank you! :) And that is really good to know, the chart is quite useful. If I may ask, how long did it take you to reach the stage where your split ends are almost gone? Good luck and happy growing to you as well! :)

fiğrildi
November 10th, 2014, 01:01 PM
You're welcome :)
Well, I still have splits, but nothing compared to how my hair looked one year ago! My hair has improved drastically since I joined the forum :) You can learn a lot of very useful tips to grow healthy hair here!
If you're curious, here you can see my before and after pictures from september 2013, to october 2014: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127086&page=3&p=2849592#post2849592

nyannyan
November 10th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Your hair looks amazing! :) Awesome result for only a year. Well done! And once again, thank you for all the help! :flower:

lapushka
November 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM
So, about 3 months ago, I decided to completely give up bleaching, dyeing, heat and basically all of the hair-killing procedures. The last time I dyed my hair was so the dyed hair can sort of match my natural color, so it won't be too obvious that I'm growing it out. It's been going pretty well, however I do have one concern. My hair is incredibly damaged from all the things I've done to it in the past. :( It's to the point where my split "ends" are pretty much at the top of my hair. The thing that I wanted to ask was if my natural hair will be like that too. I know that it's new and completely healthy hair, but I was wondering if it's possible my split "ends" to affect the new growth in any way. I started taking good care of my hair and I trim the ends every month. I also cut quite a bit when I decided to start growing out my natural hair color. I obviously can't cut all of the split "ends", because of where they start. :( And yeah, basically, what I'm asking is, will my new hair be fine or there won't be any change? Once again, I'm sorry if my question was stupid. I just need to get this out of my head, because it's seriously bothering me right now. Thank you! :)

Your natural hair will grow out healthy, but it's best if you at least S&D the splits. If you leave them alone, they can split the new growth. With S&D you take one hair and snip it to where it's no longer damaged. No need for trimming in that case, well it might still be necessary but S&D is just one way of dealing with the damage.

Chamomile betty
November 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Find a trusted hairstylist that knows what a dusting is. Then every 2 or 3 months go and get a 1/4 - 1/2 trimmed. That was the only way I got my hair/damage/ color to grow it. Also deep condition regularly. It will take a while but will be worth it. If you can do it your self that's great too.

betterhairday
November 19th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Your split ends are at the shaft?? The bit that grows out from your scalp? My gut instinct says that the new growth will not grow with split ends. However, I would suggest that you find a good hair repair system. In October 2013 I had an op and after that I had radiotherapy and this caused a great deal of damage to my hair. My hairdresser recommended that I start using Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. I did and now several months since following their recommended regime my hair is restored to being shiny, manageable and no more brittle, breaking and no split ends. This is in spite of using a curling tool most days. Hope this helps you a little.

Nightshade
November 19th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I had very damaged hair when I first joined, there's an article in my siggy about how I overcame it :)

Chocowalnut
November 19th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I used to wonder the same thing when I first started growing out damage, haha. The new hair will be new, fresh and healthy, just treat it nice :)

nikolette
November 19th, 2014, 01:22 PM
You're welcome :)
Well, I still have splits, but nothing compared to how my hair looked one year ago! My hair has improved drastically since I joined the forum :) You can learn a lot of very useful tips to grow healthy hair here!
If you're curious, here you can see my before and after pictures from september 2013, to october 2014: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127086&page=3&p=2849592#post2849592

WOW! What is your hair care routine? I am so impressed with this! Please share!