PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for women over 50/55.

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I am 58 and have bras strap length baby fine hair. Some people believe once you hit the 50's you should wear your hair a 'certain way' that is age appropriate. What do you think?

MidnightMoon
November 10th, 2014, 07:23 AM
This has been addressed before, but I think it's silly to try to look like what people want you to. It's ok to follow a certain dress code or whatever, but hair isn't harmful to anyone nor indecent in anyway, so it's something society shouldn't care about. I think short hair on older women just adds up to the "old lady" look, is too common and plain boring, specially if you want to style it, make updos, etc. I is easier to take care of, though, if that's something you care about.

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 07:33 AM
This is how I like to wear my hair: https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10373680_10152599589011885_1975853354205880060_n.j pg?oh=d616c8f309640dbb2936f920c85fabc0&oe=54DF2265

but others like this style:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/164941_10151656061226885_1148118598_n.jpg?oh=cdabf 17ead7544d9f8dcbd5da2a0b3e4&oe=54D98DC1

What do you think?

Theobroma
November 10th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I don't agree that short hair is easier to take care of, except possibly a buzz cut. Getting a short 'do to look presentable in the mornings takes a lot more work than a long mane does. I can roll out of bed and get my hair done for the day in thirty seconds flat because all I have to do is run a comb through it, twist it up into a bun, and skewer it with the hairtoy du jour. In contrast, with my texture I'd have to wash and heat style a short cut every morning if I didn't want to look like I'd, well, slept on it!

Also, to the OP: I think that what I think is irrelevant. :D Which is to say, what other people think about hair shouldn't influence how you wear yours. Either short or long is fine, as long as it's what you want!

Marbid
November 10th, 2014, 07:59 AM
I agree.. Hair is not a decency thing like clothes can be. Its just a style. It affects no one but you. Every one has their opinions and what looks good on you and what not.

But if you friend says that bag that is your favorite looks weird.. Are you going to throw it away?

Lhc after all only advocates hair health and we strongly prefer lengthier hair... Hair styles, we say do whatever you feel the pretiest in.
Personal opinion : either style you are wearing in picture looks fine. They are just taylored to different occassions i think as they give off a different feeling. the first one looks more fun, the second one looks more cute.. Neither one looks bad in my opinion.

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I agree.. Hair is not a decency thing like clothes can be. Its just a style. It affects no one but you. Every one has their opinions and what looks good on you and what not.

But if you friend says that bag that is your favorite looks weird.. Are you going to throw it away?

Lhc after all only advocates hair health and we strongly prefer lengthier hair... Hair styles, we say do whatever you feel the pretiest in.
Personal opinion : either style you are wearing in picture looks fine. They are just taylored to different occassions i think as they give off a different feeling. the first one looks more fun, the second one looks more cute.. Neither one looks bad in my opinion.

Marbid, my favorite is he first one, I feel very feminine when I wear it that way, also magical in some ways. I always feel fat when I wear just bangs, Hubby and a few others I know prefer the bangs.

spidermom
November 10th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I wear braids pinned up in various ways most often. The only style I wouldn't wear that I can think of right now is high twin ponytails or pigtails.

I like the bangs down look better, too; it's more modern. The one with bangs all curled and fluffed back is too 80s for me, not that it matters. Everybody has an opinion; it would be difficult to get agreement on just about anything.

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I wear braids pinned up in various ways most often. The only style I wouldn't wear that I can think of right now is high twin ponytails or pigtails.

I like the bangs down look better, too; it's more modern. The one with bangs all curled and fluffed back is too 80s for me, not that it matters. Everybody has an opinion; it would be difficult to get agreement on just about anything.

I designed this hairstyle for myself long before it suddenly became popular in the '80's. Interesting enough, I see a lot of women are starting to wear their hair like this. I've been told I inspired them. :)

MidnightMoon
November 10th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I don't agree that short hair is easier to take care of, except possibly a buzz cut. Getting a short 'do to look presentable in the mornings takes a lot more work than a long mane does. I can roll out of bed and get my hair done for the day in thirty seconds flat because all I have to do is run a comb through it, twist it up into a bun, and skewer it with the hairtoy du jour. In contrast, with my texture I'd have to wash and heat style a short cut every morning if I didn't want to look like I'd, well, slept on it!

Also, to the OP: I think that what I think is irrelevant. :D Which is to say, what other people think about hair shouldn't influence how you wear yours. Either short or long is fine, as long as it's what you want!

well, that depends on hair texture I guess, my fine hair tangles, when I sweat it sticks together, etc. When it's short it doesn't tangle and it takes me much less time to brush through it. I still prefer to wear it long but it does take a lot of time, care and requires being much more delicate.

MidnightMoon
November 10th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Any style you like is fine, and I don't see anything wrong with the first one.

Carolyn
November 10th, 2014, 09:25 AM
I think you look much younger and prettier with the longer straight bangs. Sorry, but you asked for opinions :flowers:

As for the age thing, I believe that when we reach a certain age (whatever that might be), we are old enough to make our own decisions about our hair and our appearance. The only exception would be job related.

CastaDiva
November 10th, 2014, 09:46 AM
The first look is (to me) a rock'n roll/biker chick look. The black top compliments that hair style. The look in the second picture is softer, and the pink top compliments that hair style. I like both looks :)

Majorane
November 10th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I have a coworker who is now... 57? 58? Up until two or three years ago she used to dye her BSL hair three colors. She first bleached her entire head and then randomly dyed chinks of hair auburn and black, so she looked like one of those cute cats or dogs with multicolored patches. Now she's tired of all the dyes, and has BSL+ platinum blonde dreadlocks with fairytail tips and she's thinking of using up my blue, turquoise and pink veggiedye to spice it up a bit. Her best friend, and also a coworker of mine, is in the same age range and still wears pigtails and pigtail braids pretty often. Moral? Who cares what's age-appropriate for your hair! I personally like the bangs down just a tad more on you, but if the bangs up makes you shine with feeling youness and awesome, grow them six feet long, stick 'em up, dye them purple and shine like a diamond!

Age aprropriate hairstyles :poot:

DweamGoiL
November 10th, 2014, 10:01 AM
This is how I like to wear my hair: https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10373680_10152599589011885_1975853354205880060_n.j pg?oh=d616c8f309640dbb2936f920c85fabc0&oe=54DF2265

but others like this style:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/164941_10151656061226885_1148118598_n.jpg?oh=cdabf 17ead7544d9f8dcbd5da2a0b3e4&oe=54D98DC1

What do you think?

Since you are asking for opinions; I like option 2. It's more current. The mullet just screams 80's, but it's really up to you. Do what makes you happy :)

LongCurlyTress
November 10th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Keep your hair long!! IMO, I would grow out your bangs, since you are asking for our opinions. ;) Your silvers are beautiful!! :agape: A tiny bit of coconut oil smoothed down over the crown and length after your hair is dry will make them all sparkley too! :)

two_wheels
November 10th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I also prefer style 2 personally. But you know what, I can see in your expression that you feel more mysterious/powerful in style 1. And how you feel about it is all that matters, really.

dulce
November 10th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I am 62 with what used to be butt length hair but I recently cut back temporarily to approximately waist due to a recent large shed.I wear French twist,french braid,buns,halfups etc. and even loose sometimes, plus love my hair toys-Ficcare,Jeterforks,lilla rose flex 8 clips..You can do whatever you want with your hair at whatever age you are.Check out utube for hair style demos and ideas and demos of different hair toys also...Why be a sheep and follow the crowd and the money based profit driven beauty recommendations put out by the multi-million dollar beauty industry.I wish more people would realize they don't have to be slaves to whatever is the current hair fashion for whatever age.Ignore unsolicitated advice from so called well meaning friends,it is your hair and you wear it whatever way you like!
Your hair is lovely in both pics,I like the idea mentioned of longer in the front with some face framing layers[but that is only my opinion]but I do agree with Joni on the longer bangs..

lapushka
November 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM

Yeah, exactly. Too 80s for me too. I like the second way better!

ArienEllariel
November 10th, 2014, 10:26 AM
I just love silver hair. :) Do what YOU like. I personally think you'd look great with just some face framing pieces instead of bangs but that's entirely your decision. The bangs look lovely too. <3

dulce
November 10th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Your hair is a lovely colour,love the icy streaks and softer longer length!You asked for advice and several of us replied ,but in the end ,do what you want!!Your hair is lovely, in my personal opinion,so much prettier than the dyed ,permed,very short frizzy salon hair lady dos so common in older women.Not meaning to tread on short hair for older women, for those that like it but I personally am not fond of that look.

lunalocks
November 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I think your hair is beautiful! I am 58 too and don't pay attention to what 58 year olds are "supposed" to do. My hair is past TB and I wear it up most of the time, but sometimes in a long braid.

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Since you are asking for opinions; I like option 2. It's more current. The mullet just screams 80's, but it's really up to you. Do what makes you happy :)

There are days when I like the bangs but I have to wash and dry it every day (greasy forehead). As for "the mullet" :D to me a mullet is what Biilly Ray Syrus (sp?) wore. I tend to look at my style as an old fashioned style like in the Western movies and civil war era. My Mom always said I was her Victorian daughter because I love older things and older looks rather than the modern stuff. (She said this back in the 60's and 70's)

Oh here is me with a really bad mullet cut: https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10544389_10152540839291885_8092118875403562689_n.j pg?oh=6a2ac9d0c2afaff233ccf22788a3dc3c&oe=54D249CE.Yep, didnt have time to grown it out before my Senior picture! The girl who cut my hair was told to give me a long shag... I think she had a different idea than what I did. :D

LongCurlyTress
November 10th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Just have to add that you have the most beautiful opal colored eyes! Wow!!

And...there are some fun facebook groups that will give you alot of ideas and support. You can join just by clicking on the "Join" tab at the top of the page. Please pm me if you have trouble with this.

Just do a fb search for:

Going Grey, Looking Great!
Grey and Proud
Going Grey and Loving It
Going Gorgeously Gray!

Best of luck to you! You are beautiful!
PS Thanks Dulcy! Ditto to everything Dulcy said too!! :D:blossom:

Angelica
November 10th, 2014, 11:19 AM
OP I love your hair. The colour and style. I don't see anything wrong with an 80s look at all. I prefer curlier or wavy hair myself because mine is poker straight and also very baby fine. I don't wear a fringe now because it bothers my forehead. You suit a fringe :)

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Just have to add that you have the most beautiful opal colored eyes! Wow!!

And...there are some fun facebook groups that will give you alot of ideas and support. You can join just by clicking on the "Join" tab at the top of the page. Please pm me if you have trouble with this.

Just do a fb search for:

Going Grey, Looking Great!
Grey and Proud
Going Grey and Loving It
Going Gorgeously Gray!

Best of luck to you! You are beautiful!
PS Thanks Dulcy! Ditto to everything Dulcy said too!! :D:blossom:

Wow, what a compliment! Opal colored eyes! One of my favorite words is "Opalescence!" That makes me tingle!
Funny that you point out my eyes one of my nicknames growing up was "Eyes!"

LongCurlyTress
November 10th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Wow, what a compliment! Opal colored eyes! One of my favorite words is "Opalescence!" That makes me tingle!
Funny that you point out my eyes one of my nicknames growing up was "Eyes!"

I believe it!! LOL! Love "Opalescence" too! :) Hope you can check out those fb pages. I think you will have alot of fun in those forums too! :) Cheers!

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I believe it!! LOL! Love "Opalescence" too! :) Hope you can check out those fb pages. I think you will have alot of fun in those forums too! :) Cheers!

I'll check them out, thanks.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I personally think that we should have the freedom at any age to wear our hair in whatever style we please. Including historical styles, whether 1980's or 1880's.
I love both styles on you, OP, also your lovely silvers really show off your eyes to great advantage. Be free in your style choices and you will have lots of fun doing it! :)

chen bao jun
November 10th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I'm 57, also. I don't think there is such a thing as a 57-year-old hairstyle. Many older women cut their hair due to social pressure, and sometimes due to thinning, and sometimes due to arthritis or something of that sort making it difficult to care for. Otherwise, I see no reason not to have any hairstyle that you feel like, and that you feel suits you. Fashion magazines are always complaining about women that prefer to stay with the 'hairstyles of their youth' and saying that they need a 'fresh look' but I honestly don't see why, if they have found a hairstyle they like. (I think the REAL reason shorter hair is associated with older women is because many people still have memories of the 20's flapper generation who died out in the 1980's still wearing their hair in short flapper styles to the end). Personally, I like to keep up to date, wore braid outs for the 7 years before LHC just like a teenager and am currently wearing a teenagery 'high bun' most days, but that's my personality and yours is your and I think you look just fine either way. A little more modern in your photo with the bangs, but you say 'modern' isn't what you want.
I hate people deciding on your hair for you. One of my worse memories is going to the hairdresser for small trim just before my wedding in 1983 and coming out with a stylish 'shag' or whatever it was that everybody else loved and I just HATED. All the layers ruined my goal of growing long, one length hair which I was well on the way towards and I didn't ask the hairdresser for a 'style'. Maybe I would have looked out of style, but I would have been happier at my wedding. Moral: what others impose on you never makes you happy, so keep doing what you want, as long as you can. I will until they shove me into a nursing home!

renarok
November 10th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I love your hair color and it is the color I hope to have someday. I am going to have to agree that the second photo with the softer bangs is more flattering. You have really lovely eyes and the bangs frame them nicely.

swearnsue
November 10th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Question: How does a 58 year old powerful woman with opalescent eyes wear her hair?
Answer: Any darn way she chooses!!!

You rock both styles.

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Question: How does a 58 year old powerful woman with opalescent eyes wear her hair?
Answer: Any darn way she chooses!!!

You rock both styles.

Awwww, thanks! I don't feel all that powerful but I am crazy! :D

pearlsandpinups
November 10th, 2014, 01:13 PM
It's so weird to me all the supposed "hair rules" that women need to follow when they hit certain ages. It drives me insane! Wear whatever hair makes you feel happy and beautiful and don't listen to what others say you need to do. I'm 27 and every so often I hear of "over 30" hairstyles and that you can't wear long hair after 30 and I ignore them completely. I'm going to be rocking my beautiful long locks for as long as I want, at any age I want! ;) Besides, I love seeing women that stand out from the crowd, there's no denying that a lot of women cave to social pressure and get pretty much the same hairstyles. I love seeing women that chart their own course!

I'm pretty big into fashion, but not into "trends" if that makes any sense. I sew all my own clothes and love designing everything that I wear, but it's all a very "me" 1950's inspired look that's completely different from everyone else I see. I love it, it makes me feel happy and confident and I get compliments all the time! There's beauty in confidence and doing what makes YOU happy. :)

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I knew a girl who wore her beautiful hair almost butt length. The last time I saw her she had super short hair and when I asked her about it, she laughed and said I wore it long cuz guys like long hair so when I got married I cut it because I had a man then! :O

pixldust
November 10th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Societal pressure regarding how we are 'supposed' to wear our hair at certain ages drives me nuts! I have to hold myself back from clambering on my :soapbox: It's an absolute load of old you-know-what.
Basically, you are a beautiful woman, you have beautiful sparkly hair, and you should wear it in the way that makes you happy, feel pretty and, most importantly, feels like *you*

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 01:58 PM
This was me in 2001 I think ( box blonde)

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10475697_10152540832211885_917359419394054322_n.jp g?oh=bb5ecacbbc71a4bbc979ea5c5c95cdb8&oe=54DE33F6

chen bao jun
November 10th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I knew a girl who wore her beautiful hair almost butt length. The last time I saw her she had super short hair and when I asked her about it, she laughed and said I wore it long cuz guys like long hair so when I got married I cut it because I had a man then! :O

Yeah, lots of women do this. Husbands hate it. I guess it's like that George Bernard Shaw quote from Man and Superman, something about how offensive it is to publicly throw away the bait once you've landed the catch.
A lot of women also go and on about how no man (especially not a husband) will tell them how to wear their hair and say they only want to please themselves, but personally, I like pleasing my husband. fortunately, he's not too hard to please. At the moment, we don't quite agree about my hair--he doesn't mind long but he hates up. However we are compromising as I wear my hair down on dates and on Sundays and have told him he can take out the hairstick anytime when we are home. It's just that it won't grow any longer than this if constantly worn down.

Majorane
November 10th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I forgot to mention something: earlier I said I liked the bangs down a wee bit better on you. But upon closer inspection I like the way you smile and look with the fluffy bangs more, you seem to look a lot more confident and mischievous (...........I do horrible things to the English language) and radiant. So with that in considertion, fluffy bangs win. For whatever that's worth.

Elly May
November 10th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Since you asked...I think the second picture really shows off your beautiful eyes and great smile, and is a younger, more up to date look.

However, I am well aware of the fact that shorter hair is much more flattering on me than my BSL bunned hair, but I really don't care and wear my hair to suit ME.

Blessings!

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I forgot to mention something: earlier I said I liked the bangs down a wee bit better on you. But upon closer inspection I like the way you smile and look with the fluffy bangs more, you seem to look a lot more confident and mischievous (...........I do horrible things to the English language) and radiant. So with that in considertion, fluffy bangs win. For whatever that's worth.

I do feel mischievious at times like when I wear my elven ears! LOL

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10268470_10152385134316885_8249874736400832532_n.j pg?oh=54a0374b8d2d9b61a30893882f96dbd9&oe=54DC1608&__gda__=1423705693_04282c23e73678411780187807d63e5 a

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I had breast cancer in 2010, just before I had surgery and all that I went to a thing called Faeriecon East. Mischievious? Ohhhhh yeah! Good thing God understands my craziness! :D

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/75818_10150091615156885_8288265_n.jpg?oh=d68eef165 d94c83b364acc9cd910b092&oe=54D307B4

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Another Faerie Persona

http://www.blogforacure.com/cache/gallery_4eb82ef468efa.jpg_450_0_0.jpg

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Another Faerie Persona - year after surgery, chemo, and radiation.

Oops, double post, sorry!

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Another Faerie Persona year after surgery, chemo, and radiation.

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 04:02 PM
CAn't figure out how to delete the first two faerie persona pics.... all I did was edit and got so many other posts.

chen bao jun
November 10th, 2014, 04:22 PM
This is great to see. My best friend has breast cancer right now and I know its very early and she'll most probably be fine, but it's making me nervous. she went on a vacation for two weeks before surgery. And she ate cake! She never eats cake. that made me nervous--she's been saying she'll be fine but when I saw her eating the cake, I was like, she thinks she's going to die and that she might as well enjoy...
My mother in law died in September and my uncle died in October (and a family member stole his ashes and won't let us have a memorial for him) and life has been really interesting. I have all kinds of neck and back issues right now. No more appliances have died, though, which is something. And I found out I don't need an operation for the neck and back, just PT. And I got three wonderful RAOKs from the people on this forum, a red ladyidun, a pink ladyidun and a beautiful pair of wood hair forks AND a faux book (I've always wanted one). And my husband took me to Niagara Falls, where I've always wanted to go. So, I can't complain. It does make me happy to see you as a fairy, coincidentally, my friend who has breast cancer loves to dress up in costumes and besides being a pirate, she loves being a fairy most. Anyway, you jsut cheered me up.

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 04:34 PM
This is great to see. My best friend has breast cancer right now and I know its very early and she'll most probably be fine, but it's making me nervous. she went on a vacation for two weeks before surgery. And she ate cake! She never eats cake. that made me nervous--she's been saying she'll be fine but when I saw her eating the cake, I was like, she thinks she's going to die and that she might as well enjoy...
My mother in law died in September and my uncle died in October (and a family member stole his ashes and won't let us have a memorial for him) and life has been really interesting. I have all kinds of neck and back issues right now. No more appliances have died, though, which is something. And I found out I don't need an operation for the neck and back, just PT. And I got three wonderful RAOKs from the people on this forum, a red ladyidun, a pink ladyidun and a beautiful pair of wood hair forks AND a faux book (I've always wanted one). And my husband took me to Niagara Falls, where I've always wanted to go. So, I can't complain. It does make me happy to see you as a fairy, coincidentally, my friend who has breast cancer loves to dress up in costumes and besides being a pirate, she loves being a fairy most. Anyway, you jsut cheered me up.

Having a sense of humor kept me and the rest of the people in my chemo section: I dressed in costumes everytime I went to chemo. Have her contact me and I'll be glad to help her through. And don't worry about her eating cake... it is a statement to cancer: "Ya think you'll get me? Ha! Check this out!" Where does your friend live? Here in Virginia we have a non-profit BC support group called "Beyond Boobs!" Here is the FB group: Beyond Boobs! Southside VA. The group is expanding to other states so have her check it out!

I'm sorry about all you have gone through... and someone stealing your Uncles ashes is unbelievable! They have no heart!

hennalonghair
November 10th, 2014, 04:40 PM

I feel the same as these two ladies expressed. Long hair is super easy to care for and I often wear braids or updos.
Women have had long hair since the beginning of time so I don't really care wha anyone else thinks.
It's my own personal assessory and nobody else's concern.
So wear you hair however you like but kiddie high piggie tails might look a bit dated. Lol

merseaone
November 10th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Having long hair is definitely easier than short hair! As I grew my hair out from bald as it got "long" which is actually short for most required frequent hair washings. When I just wear bangs I have to at least wash the bang area every day. When I "Poof" my hair I wash my hair, use a lot of hair spray (I call it cement because even though I have a lot of gray on top I still have fine hair and it requires a lot of hair spray to keep it up). Once I cement my hair I can go 3 days or so to wash my hair... that really makes me happy!

chen bao jun
November 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Thank you. I will tell her about the group when she returns. She is having a radical mastectomy as she has had questionable tests before and just doesn't want to worry about it in the future.
I will tell her about you dressing in costumes when you went to chemo and also about the FB group.
I'm so glad you posted tonight. She has the operation the first week of December.
thanks for reassuring me about the cake. She just never eats anything but health food and in fact I have always hated the nasty cakes she makes out of strange ingredients with no sugar to be healthy. So to see her eat a slice of cake which had a pound and a half of butter in it (I know because I made it and I told her what was in it) and all egg yolks really gave me a terrible shock.

Having a sense of humor kept me and the rest of the people in my chemo section: I dressed in costumes everytime I went to chemo. Have her contact me and I'll be glad to help her through. And don't worry about her eating cake... it is a statement to cancer: "Ya think you'll get me? Ha! Check this out!" Where does your friend live? Here in Virginia we have a non-profit BC support group called "Beyond Boobs!" Here is the FB group: Beyond Boobs! Southside VA. The group is expanding to other states so have her check it out!

I'm sorry about all you have gone through... and someone stealing your Uncles ashes is unbelievable! They have no heart!

Clarkie
November 10th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I am 58 and have bras strap length baby fine hair. Some people believe once you hit the 50's you should wear your hair a 'certain way' that is age appropriate. What do you think?

I think that life is far too short to worry about what "some people" think! Do whatever makes you happy. If you want to grow your hair to the floor then do it and tell those people if they don't like it they don't have to look!! :)

ETA: I just saw your pics and you are GORGEOUS!!! I think "some people" might be a wee bit jealous!

embee
November 10th, 2014, 08:36 PM
merseaone, your hair really grew! :)

I had bangs and had to wash them every single day, greasy things. So I understand what you're saying there. Fortunately they are easy to wash.

I think you have two cute ways to wear your bangs and they are very different. How nice is that!

With thin fine hair, if you want hairsticks you should look at MeiFa sticks, they're great for thinner hair.

I love that your wore costumes to chemo. My friend had ovarian cancer and she fought hard with the treatment people to improve the facility - painting in bright colors, getting comfy chairs, such things that make people feel more cheerful. They eventually redid the whole place. :)

browneyedsusan
November 10th, 2014, 08:39 PM
"Some people" can bite me. That is all.

hanne jensen
November 11th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Any style at all, as long as you're comfortable with it. I'm 55. A lot of my friends say that I'm too old for long hair. I don't care. I wear my hair up because I think it's too hot to have it down and my hair breaks if I blink my eyes. It also gets in the way if it's down. That's just me.

swearnsue
November 11th, 2014, 11:21 AM
"Some people" can bite me. That is all.

:laugh:

The REDHEAD has spoken!!!! lol

merseaone
November 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I just got back from Walmart in Kilmarnock, Va and there was a lady in there that hadgray and white hair that was very wavy and she wore it in a V shape almost to her butt! Due to the wavy hair her ends looked like Faerie hair!

pearlsandpinups
November 11th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I just got back from Walmart in Kilmarnock, Va and there was a lady in there that hadgray and white hair that was very wavy and she wore it in a V shape almost to her butt! Due to the wavy hair her ends looked like Faerie hair!

I bet that was just beautiful! :)

Islandgrrl
November 11th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Well, I'm right in that age range, and I think you should do with your hair whatever makes you happy. I personally vote for #2 in your original pictures. I too think it adds youth to your face. But if that's not what makes you happy, don't wear it that way.

My own hair is knee length and hennaed. I like it that way and don't care a bit what anyone else has to say about it. It makes me happy.

dulce
November 11th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Best of luck with your breast cancer Merseaone!Your hair grew back well. I was just diagnosed,it is very early stage ,but it is highest grade [aggression ]so had my partial mastectomy surgery and waiting to see the oncologist.Am high risk for a new one appearing within 5 years due to type[comedo ] and highest grade.So may end up doing preventive mastectomy afterall but will wait to see the oncologist to see what he recommends.Radiation and long term meds are a given.Mine was 3.5 cm ,deep,near the chest wall,ultrasound missed it,thermography missed it, self exams missed it,only the 3d digital mammogram picked it up.And it only showed on one mammo pic,one angle of 12 they took..Luckily for me,the head radiologist did not dismiss that one pic and ordered an immediate biopsy.I had no symptoms nor did my breast show any outward visible changes.My cancer was still ''in situ'' confined within the ducts still and removed surgically with clear margins and no node involvement..That 3d digital mammo saved my life!! So get your mammos ladies!! Don't believe the stuff some people spout in the media about mammos do not save lives..Utter nonsense.Also not all mammos are the same,the 3d digital is much clearer,more accurate,they can take pics at many different angles and they can zoom in on a suspicious spot-unlike the regular 2d mammo.
Mammos do save some lives,especially if you are caught earlier.

dulce
November 11th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Chen,that is funny,two days before I had my partial mastectomy[was worried the partial mastectomy pathology results would show worse results than my biopsy pathology results a few weeks earlier and it did] I went to tim hortons and stuffed myself with donuts which I usually never eat!!

chen bao jun
November 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Praying for you, Dulce. I am glad it is good so far and whenever I pray for my friend will also pray for you. I do get mammograms yearly but I don't know what kind.

dulce
November 11th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Check it out-the 3d is so much better at picking up very early cancers!

merseaone
November 11th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Best of luck with your breast cancer Merseaone!Your hair grew back well. I was just diagnosed,it is very early stage ,but it is highest grade [aggression ]so had my partial mastectomy surgery and waiting to see the oncologist.Am high risk for a new one appearing within 5 years due to type[comedo ] and highest grade.So may end up doing preventive mastectomy afterall but will wait to see the oncologist to see what he recommends.Radiation and long term meds are a given.Mine was 3.5 cm ,deep,near the chest wall,ultrasound missed it,thermography missed it, self exams missed it,only the 3d digital mammogram picked it up.And it only showed on one mammo pic,one angle of 12 they took..Luckily for me,the head radiologist did not dismiss that one pic and ordered an immediate biopsy.I had no symptoms nor did my breast show any outward visible changes.My cancer was still ''in situ'' confined within the ducts still and removed surgically with clear margins and no node involvement..That 3d digital mammo saved my life!! So get your mammos ladies!! Don't believe the stuff some people spout in the media about mammos do not save lives..Utter nonsense.Also not all mammos are the same,the 3d digital is much clearer,more accurate,they can take pics at many different angles and they can zoom in on a suspicious spot-unlike the regular 2d mammo.
Mammos do save some lives,especially if you are caught earlier.

I was diagnosed in 2010. This is me now.... and my hair is just below my bra strap now. I trimmed my hair a couple of weeks ago and took about 2 inches off.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10559746_10152592035861885_1897784566693037938_n.j pg?oh=39547ce61a7db2342a79307aaf4c543b&oe=551EA7B4&__gda__=1424911563_e115f0558ac8c79717f339f75c41b46 8

merseaone
November 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Check it out-the 3d is so much better at picking up very early cancers!

I've had the 3D Mammo the last two years. Unfortunately I have something like 12 staples or clamps and they hurt like the devil when they tighten more for the 3D part. My breasts hurt all the time due to radiation so adding the clamps getting squooshed more than the normal mammo about killed me this time! I was growling like a dog for those few seconds! :D

Kina
November 11th, 2014, 03:47 PM
mesaone, you have STUNNING eyes.

dulce
November 11th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Not looking forward to the radiation..Buit your hair looks great Merseaone! Normally'' in situ'' never gets chemo but comedo DCIS in situ is so aggressive ,have been told sometimes chemo is given,it will be the oncologists call.

merseaone
November 11th, 2014, 04:24 PM
mesaone, you have STUNNING eyes.

Thank you! I would say they are my best feature.

merseaone
November 11th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Not looking forward to the radiation..Buit your hair looks great Merseaone! Normally'' in situ'' never gets chemo but comedo DCIS in situ is so aggressive ,have been told sometimes chemo is given,it will be the oncologists call.

Radiation really wasn't bad, just lay there for a few minutes. I didn't have a hard time with the chemo on chemo day and though I was mainly tired for a few weeks afterward and had the achy breakies all over, I was use to that since I have Fibromyalgia I was use to it. When my hair started coming out I went and had my head buzzed and kept it in a baggie. I was thinking of using it to make a picture but my kids said they wouldn't want the picture it was morbid, so I don't know what I will do. Maybe a bunch of gals could save their hair and we could make something and donate it to something like a museum or something.