PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate & hair loss

foggybrooke
November 9th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I started taking Methotrexate about 6 months ago. My hair has thinned dramatically. My ponytail circumference is about half of what it used to be. After a big loss last week, I did some research and found that I might need up my folic acid intake. I have upped my folic acid dosage and my shedding seems to have reduced already. I see my doctor Friday and will have all my vitamin levels tested to see if there are any other issues (vitamin d, etc) to be addressed. Stopping the Methotrexate or switching to another drug are not feasible options.

Anyone else taking (or have taken) Methotrexate and have any suggestions?

I have always had low maintenance hair, I shampoo & condition 2-3 times a week, wear up in a bun 97%+ of the time. All virgin hair, no heat, no other product, no oiling, etc. Fine, used to be on the high-end of average thickness, now thin hair, was always slow growing and since the Methotrexate, all growth seems to have stopped or at least slowed to the point of being unnoticeable.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and support.

Kherome
November 9th, 2014, 04:54 PM
I don't take it but my MIL does. She was told from the get go not to take it without a folic acid supplement. She's been on it for 4 or 5 months and so far no change her hair. I think the folic acid must help tremendously.

Wildcat Diva
November 9th, 2014, 05:30 PM
My ten year old takes it. I was told that he must take his multivitamin for the hair fall concern. It's been two months so far, and he takes the injections. I've been pretty good at making sure he takes the vitamin, but his hair is short plus he still has fine little boy hair.
He seems to have not lost any hair yet that I can see.
Plus he said "Mom, I don't care if I go bald. Just let me skip the vitamins, I'll look cool."

elsieivy
November 9th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I took methotrexate for a few months about two years ago. (I stopped because it didn't work for me.) I always took the Folic acid and I didn't notice any real changes with my hair. I wasn't on an extremely high dose though. Good luck

Eichan
November 9th, 2014, 09:43 PM
My Mom started taking it and had ridiculous hairloss. Taking folic acid did not help her, HOWEVER:::::::

She started taking biotin and using generic rogaine. This helped immensely. Although she still has really thin hair, that has helped so much. She also stopped using shampoo for the most part. But the biotin and rogaine were the big things. The rogaine was to help regrow her hair, she said, while the biotin supposedly helps keep it from falling out :)