PDA

View Full Version : 2a/2b haircare

StephanieP3
November 8th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I've been browsing the forum and couldn't seem to find anything. Basically I live in Florida and I see so many women with beautiful curly hair and defined curls. I tried pomade, gel and hairspray last week and it left my hair straight. I bought some smooth shine polishing mousse with jojoba oil to supposedly define curls, which I'll be using later.

I've tried co and wo washing in the past which left my hair either oily or super dry or surprisingly both. So now I want to try a more wet look and curl defining method. I know my waves and curls can be coaxed out they just seem to need help! (looking for frizz control also with a little less work than any kind of blow drying and such)

ARG
November 8th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I don't know if you have fine or medium, but perhaps this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36484) will contain some useful information for you.

Good luck!

fiğrildi
November 9th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I have this hairtype (2a virgin hair until APL, 2b/2c curly permed from APL to the ends), and if I want to get defined curls/ringlets, I apply a bit of argan oil from mid length to the ends after co-washing, while my hair is damp, and then I let it air-dry. That is all. When my hair was entirely curly permed, I used to apply lots of products in order to get defined curls and ringlets, causing the opposite effect (too much product weighs down the curl pattern).

Argan oil gives me defined, soft ringlets. Remember to apply just a tiny bit of product each time. A lot of times, the best product is not using a product at all :wink:

StephanieP3
November 9th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Yes I forgot to mention, my hair isn't fine, and from half and down have been color treated/bleached. My hair is of medium thickness. I have noticed when I put heavy things like gel my hair is weighted down with product and looks straight and stringy! thank you :)

Madora
November 9th, 2014, 08:48 AM
If you want curls, then you might have to encourage them by using foam curlers, or rag curlers and perhaps a tiny bit of product to hold the curl pattern longer. The whole idea is to have the curls...but not to show evidence that you are using a ton of stuff to achieve the effect (i.e. weighing down your hair with too much stuff. Easy to do and your curls pay the price by becoming less springy/natural and more lank/droopy.

As far as general hair tips: Hair tips (based on my own experience of more than 40 years):
Be patient.
Less is more. Don't overload your hair with products!
Not everything works for everybody!
Use gentle shampoos
Stay far away from: blow fryers/straighteners/hot curlers/bleach/backcombing/teasing/Brazilian blowouts
Eat sensibly! Exercise moderately. Drink water.

The best thing you can do for your hair:
wear it up to protect it
detangle it gently with a wide tooth comb (every day)
brush it daily with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon or rubber!)

learn new hairstyles to keep from being bored

ponytails are not hair friendly. Avoid them!

Weekly S and Ding are beneficial for keeping white dots and split ends in check. Use SHARP shears!

Don't obsess on how fast (or not) your hair is growing! That'll drive you bonkers.

Mineral oil (baby oil), used sparingly (2 drops) is great for detangling, taming frizzies, and helping with moisture. You place the drops in your palms, rub it all over the hands, then draw your hands through your hair until the oil sheen has just about vanished from your palms. It is very lightweight, leaves no after scent, washes out in the next shampoo, and is dead cheap.

Always detangle with a WIDE TOOTH COMB! Never detangle with a brush!
Detangle from the ends of the hair, then up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots.
Daily gentle scalp massage in the bent at the waist position is a great way to stimulate your follicles for a boost in hair growth.

A silk pillowcase cover - or sleeping cap - is a great way to protect your hair while sleeping.

Of course there are a lot more pointers! Check out threads on The Mane Forum

Sharysa
November 10th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Whoo, 2a/b problems! I don't curl my hair, I just braid it for a more regular wave. However, pin curls and rag curls get great results without needing heavy gels or spray.

As for maintenance, I caution against combing EVERY day--for me that led to frizz, even with a wide toothed comb. Finger-combing most of the time and then detangling on wash days (twice a week) gave much better results, but I do give myself a night-time combing if my scalp gets itchy.

mira-chan
November 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I have 2b hair type, which is plenty close. Yours may get a touch wavier with more care as mine did.

I second Sharysa against combing too much. I have coarse hair than you so what works for me may not be a perfect match for you. I get a similar issue with products weighing down my hair to a stringy mess, though mine still tries to wave some.

What works for me now is washing shampoo of choice, then letting conditioner sit for as long as I can (30 min ideally), then rinse out and add a leave in on dripping wet hair. If I put anything on damp hair, or anything other than straight vegetable oil on dry hair, it's a disaster. My hair is not very tangly so I finger comb mostly until right before wash when I pull out my comb. My hair can probably handle a bit more oil than yours as it's coarser, but if you want a bit more wave definition try putting a little bit on your hand, rub it between palms and then pretty much finger comb your hair. That tends to help.

For more definition, I put any gels or curl products right after my leave in, on VERY wet hair. That work the best for me personally.