PDA

View Full Version : Wavy/Wurly/Curly Self Trimming

Aurum
November 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I'm going to be trimming my hair on my own pretty soon so I'm just gathering opinions on this. From my experience, hair salons trim my hair wet, and then the layers spring up as they dry, leaving me with an uneven hemline. I'm trying to get a blunt hemline, so would you all suggest trimming dry? Or would that be worse for the hemline issue? Has anyone here with 2a+ hair managed to get a fairly straight, blunt hairline? Or is that the curse of having waves/wurls/curls?

lapushka
November 8th, 2014, 02:11 PM
My hair is always trimmed dry, at the end of the week, right before a wash, when my waves are all but gone, all that needs to happen is a good comb/brush through and it's ready to get cut.

Kina
November 8th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I've never had a cut that made my hemline completely straight. Right now, even though it's even, the right side curls up a few inches more than the left :shrug:. I've heard that curly girl sal OK no have a good technique AR cutting curls dry, but I haven't been to one yet. I know dancer in NYC who had it done and the results were spectacular, she said it was the best experience she'd had at a salon. Her hair is probably a 3rd or c. Let me see if I can find her website (the cut was in preparation for her promo pics.

I found a pic, but I'm on my phone and don't know how to insert a link. I'll just link to her website. The main image on the splash page (in green costume) is fresh from the salon. Www.ranya.net

Kina
November 8th, 2014, 02:24 PM
My hair is always trimmed dry, at the end of the week, right before a wash, when my waves are all but gone, all that needs to happen is a good comb/brush through and it's ready to get cut.

The issue w/ curls though is that when the dry, they shrink. If you have combination hair, for example, that impacts how much shrinkage you get, resulting in an uneven hemline.

CurlyCap
November 8th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I only cut my hair on wash day, with perfectly set, dry hair.

Then I cut 1 inch of hair off the bottom of each curl. I do this every six months and it's gotten me to TBL.

I really don't care about what my hemline looks like cause I'll never see it. My hair isn't straight.

mamaherrera
November 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I wish I could get the nerve to trim my own hair as well. No matter where I go, they cut it wet, and I've had Deva cuts, and they were rough on my hair, on my scalp. So I'm terrified to go get a haircut now. I tried to do my own bangs, and now I am struggling to grow out my big mess/

lapushka
November 8th, 2014, 03:33 PM
The issue w/ curls though is that when the dry, they shrink. If you have combination hair, for example, that impacts how much shrinkage you get, resulting in an uneven hemline.

Yes but when you use Feye's method, it all gets combed smoothly into a ponytail (multiple ponytails), so... no margin for errors there.

Kina
November 8th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Yes but when you use Feye's method, it all gets combed smoothly into a ponytail (multiple ponytails), so... no margin for errors there.

It's not the cut that the issue, my hair is perfectly even at the ends. it's the way that the hair curls and whatever random factors influence the curl/wave that day.

bunzfan
November 8th, 2014, 04:34 PM
When trimming I also have to do it on dry hair I get much better results I brush my waves out and do the sides at the front first in bunches and then the back in a one ponytail it gives me a slight u shape .

CurlyCap
November 8th, 2014, 05:38 PM

This assumes you have hair that is easily combed out and ponytailed. Feye's is a FAIL for me.

lapushka
November 8th, 2014, 05:51 PM
This assumes you have hair that is easily combed out and ponytailed. Feye's is a FAIL for me.

I never knew it could be different for 3s and 4s probably too then. Interesting!

LongCurlyTress
November 8th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Duplicated post. Sorry!!

LongCurlyTress
November 8th, 2014, 05:59 PM

So, CurlyCap, if you don't use Faye's trimming method, please share your trimming techinque that does work for you. Unfortunately, Faye's Method doesn't work for me either :( and my ends are straight with my two side ponytails in front of me, but then my hemline is so jagged and uneven when I put my hair back. Also, it is hard to control how deep the u hemline becomes as I am never quite sure how far forward to tilt my chin or keeping my head straight. Recently, my DH just pulls the Creaclip down my damp detangled hair and I have been only trimming off 1/4 inch at a time, but it is so frustrating that I can't use Faye's to do it myself. So... how do you trim our hair? Thanks for your help!! :popcorn:

CurlyCap
November 8th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Lapushak and LCT:

First: Let us remember what it means to brush the curlies:
http://i.imgur.com/Bo07IWB.jpg?1
And this was a year and almost 10inches of hair ago. I don't even attempt to brush my hair anymore.

I was going to type it all out, but she basically is saying the same thing but with video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEbKM-azac

I pretty much agree with her technique. She uses gel for a hard set, I use LOC for a super defined set (flax seed-->oil mix -->butter mix). Only cut on dry hair. She only trims clumps that are problematic. I trim every freakin clump bc I want to do it every six months and be done with it. She takes off very little, but my hair grows pretty quickly so I take off 1-1.5", making sure to snip perpendicular to the curl (no angled snips!). But I think it's important to show that you CAN do microtrims if you want to.

Also, I clip back the clumps I've already snipped bc I would get so confused otherwise.

TrapperCreekD
November 8th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Wurly here, and I cut/trim pretty much the same way Lapushka described. By washday the wurls are pretty subdued and easily combed out for the banded ponytail. :shrug:

Hotrox
November 8th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I kind of follow the deva cut method, so cut each curl individually on dry styled hair. I cut more off the back than the sides as the sides are much more curly so I try to avoid a mullet look! I also cut at the bottom of a C shape within each curl to preserve the curl shape. Ultimately I'm not too precious about it, hemline will never look blunt or very even so figure it's best not to get too focused on this aspect.

I use the technique described here: http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/helpful-tips-for-cutting-curly-hair/

LongCurlyTress
November 8th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Haha! Curlcap! ROFL!! I love your brushed out hair! Mine does the same thing when brushed out. LOL! thanks for the trimming info. :)

CurlMonster
November 9th, 2014, 01:21 AM
I am a third for lapushka's method of trimming dry at the end of the week when my hair is as straightened/flattened out as it is going to be. This works for my wurly hair, but I can imagine with curlier hair it would not work anymore!

lapushka
November 9th, 2014, 08:03 AM
CurlyCap, haha, yes, the brushed out curlies. Hard to do Feye's on that much volume. True! I get that for 3s & 4s it's one clump at a time.

YvetteVarie
November 12th, 2014, 02:44 AM
The easiest method for me is to do several little braids on my head (about 10-15). Then I just cut off what I feel needs to be cut off at that time (my last trim was 1'' - 1.5'' because of split ends). I don't get a perfectly even cut, which is fine since I am not planning to wear my hair straightened any time soon. Maybe when I flatiron (in 3 or so years) I will even up the hemline then.

vega
November 15th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Hey guys need some inspiration my hair is mid back wet and once dry it's collarbone I like my curls but it taking forever to grow out any advice guys I have healthy diet and take biotin pills , also currently using tangle teeter but thinking it cud be damaging my hair it makes an awful sound while brushing any tips apreciate