PDA

View Full Version : How much needs cutting?

diddiedaisy
November 8th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Hi all, I'm just deciding on my hair plan for next year!!! As you can see I have very thin ends from a shed last year. I'm going to start trimming once I reach bsl which is the bottom line in the photo. Apl is the long centre line. The lines go up in 1 inch increments. How many inches do you think I need to get rid of? Thanks

Rhttp://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/8DD1DB33-88FA-4280-A15B-FE826EDF22E7_zpsrt64w930.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/8DD1DB33-88FA-4280-A15B-FE826EDF22E7_zpsrt64w930.jpg.html)

ZeppHead
November 8th, 2014, 11:44 AM
If it were me I would go apl and grow out from there. But you could first go to the closest line to the ends and see how it looks and feels and take it to apl if you feel it's necessary. I've been there with thin ends! Trimming really has helped though it's painful to grow. Good luck! :)

Marbid
November 8th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Personally i would just up and maintain there at armpit length and let the bulk of the shorter hairs catch up. I suggest to do so in a blunt hemline, then shape the hemline as you wish once you have a satisfactory thickness on the ends..

The longer the hair, the more you have to wait for the short hairs to catch up you know.. Armpit is a good place for you in my opinion.

Johannah
November 8th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Personally i would just up and maintain there at armpit length and let the bulk of the shorter hairs catch up. I suggest to do so in a blunt hemline, then shape the hemline as you wish once you have a satisfactory thickness on the ends..

The longer the hair, the more you have to wait for the short hairs to catch up you know.. Armpit is a good place for you in my opinion.

Couldn't have said it better!

nobeltonya
November 8th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Just cut a few inches at a time.. see how thick it is, and give it a little time in between. You can always take more off later. :disco:

Madora
November 8th, 2014, 12:50 PM
It'd say two inches, no more. Good luck!

diddiedaisy
November 9th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Thanks, my hemline is in a blunt cut. I just have to pull it together for my length shots otherwise you can't see it!!! I could do with a darker tshirt really. I think what I'll do is get to bsl, which shouldn't take too long, then keep it there for a while. I wear it up all the time anyway.

I've already cut off about 3 inches this year. I have a tendency to get scissor happy so I don't even s&d much. My hairs in quite good condition but I do get splits at the front sides. As a recovered trych I leave it for a month to check for splits. Otherwise my brain goes into overdrive and I just want to peel and pick.

Anyhows I'll see how it looks after I've taken off two inches. Thanks

lapushka
November 9th, 2014, 08:04 AM
I'd leave it alone, go to BSL and then maintain there.

patchoulilove
November 9th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I'd leave it alone, go to BSL and then maintain there.

I second this opinion.
Beautiful hair also, diddiedaisy.

:blossom:
patchoulilove

kganihanova
November 9th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I would also take two inches off and see if it improves. If not take another inch off. That said, I'm a big fan of chopping over waiting it out.

renarok
November 9th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I think one good trim of 2-3 inches will really get your hemline tidied up a lot. I am commiserating with you sister. I had the most horrid shed at the beginning of the year that lasted 3 months, I went from a generous III thickness to a middling II. Thank goodness I got the health issues dealt with and now am in the same boat as you. I have been cutting to maintain the length a bit beyond waist and I REALLY don't like how my hair looks.

I think your hair looks very nice. Little trims over the next year and you will have most of the lengths caught up. There is so much good advice here for maintaining hair health. My favorite tips for hair health, besides protective updos, are a satin pillow case and a good hair vitamin. The most difficult for me is patience. Good luck!

Annalouise
November 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I don't usually say this but I don't think you should trim it. The reason I say this is because I have fine thin hair. And I don't know if you've ever achieved waist, but let me tell you....it ain't easy when your hair is fine and thin. Years go by and I never achieve the length I want because the problem is my ends ALWAYS look THIN. ALWAYS. So, if I keep trimming those thin ends.......

Just be very careful with the trimming. I trimmed 3" last May and so as far as I'm concerned if I don't trim until May 15, for one year, I still trimmed half a year's growth in one year! Hair only grows 6 inches in one year!

Oh lordy lordy lordy. Don't be like me and constantly trim the thin ends thinking that next time they reach that length they won't be thin, because they WILL.

This is where having fine thin hair sucks.

You have to concentrate on NOT damaging your hair because unless it magically gets thicker, then you won't have anything different then what you have now. So accept the thinness, and as long as they are not split, then keep it its your hair! It's all we've got I'm afraid.

Some of us just don't have that many hair strands to begin with.

Sorry for the rant. ARgghh, its hard to be a thin fine hair matey! Where's me pirate ship??

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2014, 01:48 PM
If your ends are ok then I would say don't trim yet. Only trim maybe a quarter to one half of an inch when they need it until you get to your goal of BSL then maintain there for a while and see if the hem thickens up. Wearing it up all the time and the usual advice on gentle hair care, careful handling etc would apply but I'm sure you know that.

patchoulilove
November 9th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I don't usually say this but I don't think you should trim it. The reason I say this is because I have fine thin hair. And I don't know if you've ever achieved waist, but let me tell you....it ain't easy when your hair is fine and thin. Years go by and I never achieve the length I want because the problem is my ends ALWAYS look THIN. ALWAYS. So, if I keep trimming those thin ends.......
[...]

Sorry for the rant. ARgghh, its hard to be a thin fine hair matey! Where's me pirate ship??

I think this is an excellent point. "Where's my pirate ship??" :D hehehehe :D

Tini'sNewHair
November 9th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I would take Annalouise advice :) I dont have your hair type so i cant speak from experience, thats why I think that those who are in the same boat know better how to handle this.

My two cents is, do as you want and follow your plan A which is to wait until you get to BSL before trimming a LITTLE bit. I can get out of control with trimming as well, its pretty addicting but ive also decided to wait until i reach my new milestone before trimming again, nothing wrong with that :)

diddiedaisy
November 10th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the advice :) I've only got 4 cm to bsl straightened which will take me to February. Where it will be wavy is anyone's guess!! I'll then just take off half my growth per month. That way I'll still get there wavy and be getting rid of straggly ends.

My hairs never been longer than bsl which I thought was my terminal. But going to the hairdressers every 3 months for a perm and an inch or two off didn't help, I only grow 1cm a month so I was cutting all my new growth away lol. The longest I've had it straight is about this length but although I do have fine/thin hair, the thickness did travel to the bottom, so I'm hopeful it is a tempory problem. I've also had 2 small sheds this year as well which hasn't helped, but they soon came under control.

I just decided to grow my hair at the wrong time :)