PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year @ LHC Anniversary with pix

schnibbles
November 8th, 2014, 08:18 AM
A few days ago it was my one year anniversary of being here at LHC.
Not much to tell, but I do have pic spam.

I started here at BSL (I think I was at about 27" if I remember right) and I'm at hip now, about 34.5"
So in a year my hair has grown about 7 inches.
My bangs, sadly, have not grown that fast.
They are stalled at collarbone right now. I don't know why.

The biggest changes I have noticed, and you can obviously see in the following pics, is my hair texture is getting much straighter.
Giving up heat and putting the blow dryer permanently away has made my hair so happy. I used to think it was frizzy and needed to be tamed.
My underlayer hair used to be so gross-looking, I'm guessing from heat damage. I know you can't *fix* heat damage, but I have definitely noticed it's looking much better under there. It's liking something that I'm doing.

I'm a religious moon-micro-trimmer. I dust my hair every month when the moon is waxing.
WCC every 4 days or so. Pre-poo'd with coconut oil on that snaggly underlayer.
Nightblooming Panacea salve on days inbetween. And that's pretty much it.

Onward to the pics!

Here is a bonus pic of the day I had bangs cut in. This was pre-LHC by a year. The stylist had flat-ironed. Little did I know that I have a long road ahead of me with these bangs. Ah, I rue this day still. *sad face*

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/FOT16B1_9_zps2fb0e931.jpg

November 2013 when I joined here. Wavy! I miss it kinda:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/WP_20131102_015_000_zps6a478a45.jpg

This was my hair typing picture:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/P1241779_zps6e2d1ac5.jpg

This was early spring 2014: (air dried! straight!? What?!)

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/P51122622_zps2616be50.jpg

This was sometime in July 2014:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/length7_27_14_zps3d0b60e3.jpg

One month ago, early October 2014:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/PA1138092_zpsb91b4aad.jpg

You can really see my miserable bangs twords the top of my head here:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/PA113821_zps9f70eef2.jpg

I've been training my hair to stay rope braided over my shoulder :whip: when it's down. Usually, it's up.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/P91934502_zpsd1e9019a.jpg

Again, October 2014 -

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/oct122_zps02dde4ab.jpg

Thanks for looking at my journey thus far. Once I get to tailbone I plan to maintain for awhile, take stock in it's condition/health ... and continue to hopefully grow out my bang layer.

Hootenanny
November 8th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Wow, schnibbles! Absolutely gorgeous! And great growth! Congratulations!

Johannah
November 8th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Your hair is GORGEOUS! And I absolutely ADORE your hemline! :blossom:

captaincrunch
November 8th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Looking good! Congrats on your anniversary!

Selkie-
November 8th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Your hair is AMAZING!! :thudpile: You are one of my LHC hair idols!! :inlove:

Quasiquixotic
November 8th, 2014, 09:38 AM
:thudpile: I wish I had your hair!!

Stiria
November 8th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Beautiful hair! Congratulations on your anniversary :D

Beezle
November 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM
It looks wonderful. Happy and healthy hair.

diddiedaisy
November 8th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Great hair and I love the wave, it gives it some nice volume. Congrats

ZeppHead
November 8th, 2014, 10:46 AM
So nice! I love these type of threads I can see the growth and health of your hair change. I can't wait to do one of these myself! ! Congrats! :)

jacqueline101
November 8th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Your hair looks great. Happy anniversary and many more to come.

bte
November 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Inspirational! Lovely condition!

Zebra Fish
November 8th, 2014, 11:28 AM
So pretty! :thudpile:
Thanks for sharing beautiful pics!

schatten
November 8th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Your hair is so beautiful! This kind of hair I like the most.

Entangled
November 8th, 2014, 12:56 PM
You have the kind of hair I dream of having. It's lovely!

Clarkie
November 8th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Schnibbles!! You have the hair that I aspire to. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your journey with us :)

NuclearApple
November 8th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Your hair is GORGEOUS! Congrats on your anniversary! :D

schnibbles
November 8th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks so much everyone
I'm grateful for the inspiration I find here from you guys, more than you'll ever know. :heart:

embee
November 8th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Great growth. :)

Sorry about the bangs, I hated growing out mine as well. Eventually they do manage, but boy is it slow! (They grow pretty fast if you want them to be short!)

gthlvrmx
November 8th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary!

lapushka
November 8th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Amazing journey so far. I hope you have many days of growing ahead! Happy growing. :D
It looks great. I loved your wavy pic, but the smooth ones are also amazing!

Yozhik
November 8th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Absolutely stunning! Congratulations on your anniversary! :flowers:

I love your hair's color and texture! :heart:
(often, I wish I had it, but instead my hair is about a shade or so darker and a bit curlier - how frustrating!) :silly:

nakima
November 8th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Your hair is beautiful! So healthy! Unbelievable growth congratulations!

faeriehaerie
November 8th, 2014, 03:18 PM
your hair really looks great! Congratulations! And tfs.

two_wheels
November 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Wow, your hair was very beautiful already but now it's show-stopping! :) congrats

fiğrildi
November 8th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I'm joining the thud pile... your hair is wondrous! :thudpile:

Congratulations on your first hairiversary! :D

neko_kawaii
November 8th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Pretty! Happy Hairaversary!

Kitten1030
November 8th, 2014, 04:19 PM
7" in a year! I am totally going to try your routine. Your hair is gorgeous in every pic along the way, if you ask me. You have some changey hair! I think even your bangs looked awesome but I feel your pain there. I love them on other people but every time I cut bangs I swear I will NEVER do it again. I'm not a fast learner.

Tini'sNewHair
November 8th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Simply STUNNING!!!! In Love With your hair!

schnibbles
November 8th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks again for the support, everyone!

I'm sure the pre-pooing with coconut oil plus the 2nd conditioning of the WCC process is partially contributing to the texture change. My wave pattern is really pretty weak and inconsistent to begin with so...the trials of being a 1c/2a multi-personality I guess. :blushing:

I loved the bangs at first, for about a month. But I refused to flat-iron and they just didn't really fit into my lifestyle. Everytime I see someone with cute bangs I get slightly wistful but I know now that they're not for me. :no:

mary*rose
November 8th, 2014, 05:41 PM
It's beautifully long and thick :) And I love the color, too!

I feel ya on the bangs, though... Mine are still a good ten inches away from the rest of my hair... I think it's because I only trim the ends; I don't S&D. So sometimes I see split ends at that length that I never cut, but I never have the tools to take care of them x(

Crumpet
November 8th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Gorgeous hair! I love these updates. It looks prettier and prettier.

LauraLongLocks
November 8th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Love your hair. So long and beautiful.

hypersensitive
November 8th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Looks like your hair has improved a lot! Congrats! With your thick hem, your hair will be even more gorgeous at tailbone (and beyond!)

Crystawni
November 8th, 2014, 09:52 PM
So very pretty, schnibbles! Congrats on your anniversary! :toast: Your journey is an inspiration, and I can't wait to see your hair continue to thrive!

Sparklylady82
November 9th, 2014, 12:12 AM
A few days ago it was my one year anniversary of being here at LHC.
Not much to tell, but I do have pic spam.

I started here at BSL (I think I was at about 27" if I remember right) and I'm at hip now, about 34.5"
So in a year my hair has grown about 7 inches.
My bangs, sadly, have not grown that fast.
They are stalled at collarbone right now. I don't know why.

The biggest changes I have noticed, and you can obviously see in the following pics, is my hair texture is getting much straighter.
Giving up heat and putting the blow dryer permanently away has made my hair so happy. I used to think it was frizzy and needed to be tamed.
My underlayer hair used to be so gross-looking, I'm guessing from heat damage. I know you can't *fix* heat damage, but I have definitely noticed it's looking much better under there. It's liking something that I'm doing.

I'm a religious moon-micro-trimmer. I dust my hair every month when the moon is waxing.
WCC every 4 days or so. Pre-poo'd with coconut oil on that snaggly underlayer.
Nightblooming Panacea salve on days inbetween. And that's pretty much it.

Love Love Love your hair!!! Thanks for sharing your journey, so inspiring. I can see what I have to look foward to since I am almost BSL now :-) I put in bold the things that stood out to me about your post above. I have only blowdried my hair and curled it with heat a couple times since I joined LHC in June BUT I feel myself falling off the bandwagon :-/ Your post is making me want to tough it out though, you've had great results. I am curious about your trimming routine, how do you know when the moon is waxing :shrug: ?

Dessi
November 9th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Stunning! Your hair is really beautiful and it has grown a lot!

CurlMonster
November 9th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Your hair is so stunning! I love how thick and healthy it looks! :)

FuzzyBlackWaves
November 9th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Fantastic growth for a year. Your hair is very healthy looking.

Kina
November 9th, 2014, 07:00 AM
your hair is beautiful. You also made me miss my bangs, even more than I already did! I think they look great on you, at least around the star :)

schnibbles
November 9th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I am curious about your trimming routine, how do you know when the moon is waxing :shrug: ?

Hi Sparkly, here is a thread on trimming by the moon:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69119
Basically, you want to trim when the moon is gaining light (waxing) so anytime between the New Moon and the Full moon.
Some people think this it's hooey, but I actually believe there's something to it. Our ancestors used to live and farm by the moon phases, I think for a reason. And I dunno, since I've been doing it, my growth has been pretty decent so it's certainly not hurting anything. :shrug: Plus I like a schedule. I literally only dust it though, like millimeters. My hair has really responded to the dustings, I haven't found a need for bigger trims. Which means I get to keep some growth every month. Happiness!

Also, about the blowdrying. I can't believe I used to slave for over a half an hour blowdrying my hair, trying to get it to be "sleek" and whatnot. I would use it to straighten my hair, with the big round brush and everything. Like, the damaging way. I think blowdryers are ok if you're smart about it. I was not smart, I was dumb.
I quit cold-turkey when I joined here (and it was difficult at first, I felt like it was so frizzy and poufy and weird looking) my hair started looking less crunchy/dry almost immediately. It was an epiphany. I'll still have that damaged underlayer (it's like my nape hairs you know?) for awhile but luckily I don't seem to have any breakage.

Thanks again to everyone who stopped by! :heartbeat

MiamiPineapple
November 9th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Your hair is simply perfection

slynr
November 9th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Gorgeous hair and great growth snibbiles! Congratulations:)

lunalocks
November 9th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Really beautiful. it is amazing how the texture changes when we change our habits and as it grows. Mine became very wavy at waist after believing I had straight hair all my life and once at TB it began getting straighter again.