PDA

View Full Version : Hair comb for wife

Cyclops
November 8th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Good morning I am a wood carver who has a wife with beautiful long hair. She has recently been getting into sticks and flexi clips and now she is talking about combs.( not sure why it is called a comb I would have thought prong or fork but what do I know) Anyway back to my original question. I would like to carve her a comb for her hair from a beautiful piece of maple I have been saving for a few years until a special project came my way. This is where I need some help I am trying to surprise her but being ex military and bald I have no knowledge of these combs other than what I have been able find online. I am unable to find anything on dimensions. This is what I would like to know
1. How wide the comb is. I am thinking of 3 prong but could do a two prong
2. How thick the wood is my guess is 1/4 inch
3. The length and width of the prongs (not sure if this is dependent on the length of her hair or not if it will help her hair is a few inches shy of her waist and very thick)
4. Also would it be better to have the prongs straight or with a slight curve inward.
5. Also are the forks tapered I can see from the pictures I have seen some are tapered when you look straight at them some are not(which is better) and are they tapered from outside to inside.
I plan on carving either a bird(my specialty) or some flowers (depending where my heart takes me when I start)at the top in bass relief.
I would appreciate any advise you could provide I know she would love this and would buy me a few points toward past present or future stupid decisions I have made.

Stormynights
November 8th, 2014, 08:17 AM
You are just adorable. My suggestion is to ask her what her dream comb would look like and go from there.

sapphire-o
November 8th, 2014, 08:30 AM
We need to know some info about your wife's hair. How long and how thick? If you're not too sure, when she put it up into a bun, estimate how many inches across it is. Your fork need to be longer than the width of her bun. If it's hard to estimate maybe compare it to an object. Like grapefruit sized, orange sized, golf ball sized...etc. :)

schnibbles
November 8th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I vote for adding a slight headcurve too, if possible. I know at least for me, a headcurve is definitely more comfy than a straight fork.
If her hair is super thick she may appreciate sharper points on the tines also. (they don't have to be super sharp but too blunt and she'll have a hard time inserting it into a thick bun)
Good luck! What a cute (and great) present!

Calaelen
November 8th, 2014, 09:50 AM
We do need to know the approximate size of your wife's bun, as well as approximately how thick her hair is, as Sapphire-O said, to advise you about dimensions.

You've certainly come to the right place for advice about making your wife a hair fork though!! This is such a sweet intention :)

(We usually refer to anything 4 prongs or less as a fork, while more tines tends to be more comb like. Perhaps your wife is thinking along the lines of antique decorative hair combs, and isn't familiar with the term hair fork to refer to modern day hair accessories. Hair forks are also a pretty niche market, and aren't something you will easily be able to find just anywhere, so she can certainly be forgiven the terminology!)

Stellaaa
November 8th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Hi Cyclops
I suggest you go to http://etsy.com and enter "hair fork" into the search function. There are a LOT of variations on the theme. Many makers list the dimensions and have photos at all angles.

And if we are talking about something with three longish prongs, designed to hold the hair up on its own, that would usually be called a hair fork around here. So you're right about the terminology. Hair combs usually have many shorter prongs (3" or less) and are more just decorative (as in antique combs and mantilla combs) or used to hold a french twist in place. Often, I use the terms comb and fork interchangeably IRL, so don't get hung up on the "fork" "comb" thing. Comb's just a more old-fashioned term.
(ETA: Xposted with Calaelen - yup - what she said)

I have three prong forks from several different makers on Etsy (Jeterforks, Crockett Mountain Woodworks, Elymwold, 60th Street) and they are all about 1.5" wide and 1/4" thick. A head curve is definitely a plus. Since you are carving a topper you'll want three prongs (maybe even four, but that might be a bit difficult for a first fork, I donno, I've never carved one).

It's personal thing but, I prefer the tines to be pointy (60th Street are my fav) but not tapered. By tapered, I mean conical, getting wider at the top in multiple dimensions. My hair loves to spit that sort of wedge shape right out. I like the tines to be the same thickness from the toppper on down, until about 3/4" from the end where the pointy bit starts. OTOH, I like the fork to flare at the top, or a square top, because my hair climbs over a simple rounded top (if you KWIM?)

For length, I refer you back to saphire-o's post. Some very general ideas though. We talk about FPL (functional prong length) and total length. I'm talking FPL here, you have add the size of your topper to get total length. I'd say too long is better than too short, because you can always alter it, but don't go crazy. No one needs a fork bigger than their head :) (ok, I can think of a couple members here with the killer hair, but ALMOST nobody). In very general terms - 3.5" is small, 4.5" is medium, 5.5" is large, and 6.5" is xtra large when it comes to FPL. There is a rough sort of size chart in the last photo here (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/185301512/tangled-copper-carnival-with-amethyst?ref=shop_home_active_4), with hair length on the y axis vs hair thickness on the x axis.
HTH

Kina
November 8th, 2014, 11:04 AM
This might be a good thread for you to read (or at least skim, it's pretty hefty) for tips. I'm not a do it herself kind of woman when it comes to carving, but admire those who do. Good luck, I know that if my significant other were to do something like this for me, it would earn him HUGE points. :agree:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131

Scarlet_Heart
November 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Here are some links to etsy listings for hair forks. Most makers list the dimensions (as these ones do) which should help you.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/195699550/reserved-for-elaina-four-prong-hair-fork

https://www.etsy.com/listing/198540684/4-prong-zebrawood-hair-fork-reserved-for

These are both forks I've bought. My hair is waist length, average thickness, and slightly wavy. There's a picture of my hair down (from the back) on my profile. I hope this helps you!
By the way, you are the sweetest husband. If my husband did that for me I would be so surprised and love it so much. :toast:

Zebra Fish
November 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I'm not of much help here, as I still don't know how to use them, but I find it just so sweet of you :)

Cyclops
November 8th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Wow lots of great info. My wife's hair is about 2&1/2 feet long and when she puts it up about 5 or 6 inches across. It sort of looks to be about the same as scnibbles as best I can tell.
So according to the info I have I would guess I should make it about 3 inches wide then plane the board down to be about 1/4 inch, make the prong part to be about 6 inches long tapering down at the last 3/4 inch and then 1&1/2 to 2 inches for the top.

truepeacenik
November 8th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Well, I ve got a bit more hair, and when I get a fork, it's 6 inches altogether, not prong, or functional length.

schnibbles
November 8th, 2014, 01:56 PM
So I just measured my bun, maybe this will help you. It's about 5 1/2" across, give or take, maybe slightly more. (It's hard to tell what's going on back there when I can't see it to measure it. :hmm: )
I generally buy forks with a 4.5" functional prong length, but I do have a few that are 5" functional length. The 5" functional ones stick out just a little more, but for certain buns I like a little bit of extra room. My hair does compact down fairly well.
The 2 forks that Scarlet linked above are great examples. Generally the rule with forks is you can go a little shorter on the functional prong length than you would for the functional length of a hairstick. Does your wife happen to have any hairsticks you could measure? Maybe that would help also.

And I agree with what Stellaaa said above, probably better to go a little bit too long than too short, you could probably shorten it for her if necessary (?)

edited to add - 6 inch prongs would be pretty big on probably anyone.. The total length would probably be about like 7" then, right? Having kind of a small head, a fork that size would be definitely be large and in-charge. :D Just sayin'

lapushka
November 8th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I'd at least give it 5 inches of functional prong length (this is the prongs without the embellishment or topper at the top), so the part that goes into the hair only.

Cyclops
November 8th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Thank you very much for all of the help ladies it is very much appreciated. I have started playing around in my shop with some odd pieces of wood I had laying around. My first attempt I cut to thin the second attempt I put the curve in the wrong direction (angled out rather than in). I am now working on my third but have run into an issue with one of my tools but that's not a show stopper.(I guess the same applies to woodcarving as life. It's not the destination but the journey that counts) I was trying to post pictures as I go but don't know how.

Stellaaa
November 8th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Cyclops, I think there is a minimum number of posts you have to make before you can use albums, etc. But you can use a site like Photobucket.com and paste in the "img" link.

hennalonghair
November 9th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Busted! ....I'm the wife! Lol
For weeks I've been talking about combs and sticks almost non stop and would like to get some but I don't have a clue what size or type to get.
I've invested s few hundreds dollars on flexi clips and although I love my flexis I've seen some gorgeous sticks and forks so have been pestering DH about getting some. Finally my husband looked at them and said they can't be too hard to make and since then has asked me all kinds of questions about them.
He asked me to ask about them here and since I didn't I sarcastically told him to ask himself.. Sure I played along but I honestly didn't think he would.
Well he did. I kept looking at this post yesterday I knew it was him and then went downstairs and saw that he actually had started carving my very own first fork.
He is sweet. We laughed and laughed when I told him I saw his post and then he showed me the first two he'd done.
We've been renovating our house all summer long so I didn't think anything about hearing the saws going. He's almost replaced an entire back wall including windows so I was really happy to just see him have some fun carving again.
He used to carve such gorgeous songbirds and gave them away as gifts to friends and relatives but since our home renovations he hasn't had a chance to carve anything so although this feels a bit awkward, the very fact that he actually came HERE and posted this just to get info is priceless.
Those 60th Street Forks are stunning, But i'd love nothing more than have my DH make one especially for me.

He couldn't ask about what stick size I take because the only sticks I have are little 6 inch sticks with 1 1/4 inch of beaded embellishment that match my flexi's and I wear them together. The sticks themselves aren't strong or long enough to hold my hair up alone.

Thank you ladies so much for helping him. He is adorable and is actually VERY shy so this really was a surprise to me.

hennalonghair
November 9th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Cyclops, you are the BESTEST hubby ever. :smooch:

gustavonut
November 9th, 2014, 12:29 PM
So sweet :p

Kina
November 9th, 2014, 12:55 PM
:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat :heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat

Wavelength
November 9th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I just stumbled on this thread today -- hennalonghair, I think you got yourself a keeper there! :crush:

(And we demand pics when your hair fork is finished!) :p

hennalonghair
November 9th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I just stumbled on this thread today -- hennalonghair, I think you got yourself a keeper there! :crush:

(And we demand pics when your hair fork is finished!) :p

25+ years!! I'm ignorant to many things in life but never him. He's a keeper for sure.
Ill try and show some pics once its finished. I've tried to talk him into showing some of his work and he won't.
:shrug: but I can ;)

minaa
November 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Aw, what a sweet guy. We would definitely love to see the results of the process, hennalonghair!

Also--this is worth mentioning. Some long haired folk like the prongs of a fork sticking out, others don't. From what I've read on a couple of forums, if it sticks out, generally around 3/4 to an inch is best (possibly has better hold), and if it doesn't stick out, it's good as long as it holds :). I've been intentionally buying forks with prongs showing, because I'm hoping they'll hold my mop when it gets to be TBL.

lapushka
November 9th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Oh this is so cute! :inlove:

hennalonghair
November 9th, 2014, 10:18 PM
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//AC087334-A105-4D49-9BB1-2396F842A5A5_zpsxvazncyi.jpg.html
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//430B2242-3374-42EC-838A-D3829B75C746_zpshshinjje.jpg.html
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//F3D66B6A-E417-4ACE-A099-25DEC91F4DF8_zpsbfqfm4ld.jpg.html
And here's a first attempt at a fork he's now working on. He's asking if this is the right type of curve .
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//9AE41C13-4D83-4F9F-B4A7-3416973F5D05_zps5mqbvkbh.jpg.html
Here's another angle.
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//DADD78D9-619E-4271-BF81-D8AA133D0D7A_zpspweusxoz.jpg.html

My DH says to thank you once again for helping him

pastina
November 9th, 2014, 10:38 PM
:agape: he is very talented!!

butter52
November 9th, 2014, 11:58 PM
OMG this is all soooooooooooooooooooooooooo adorable

and wow those birds!!! hands down!

hennalonghair
November 10th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Yeah he's pretty talented and humble about it, unlike me.
Btw.... The fork isn't finished. That's just a starting blank. He's unsure of the comb curve. He's wondering if the entire fork is curved or just the prong part cause I have no idea .
Is the curve just a slight one?
If anyone knows please let him know.

minaa
November 10th, 2014, 12:14 AM
From what I've seen, the curve isn't super extreme. However, it is important that it's comfortable for you. Why not, when your hair is down, hold up the curved fork and see what works best for you?

He is very talented :) Although, I would say that the curve starts from the head of the fork and goes on down. Some forks will start at the tines' origin points, others curve the entire fork gently.

schnibbles
November 10th, 2014, 06:53 AM
^^^ Agreed.
This whole thread is seriously adorable.

hennalonghair
November 10th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Hey all you wonderful fork lovers, I really really thank you for all your informative posts about these particular hair toys. After 9 attempts at getting the best length, width and curve he has actually asked me to order some forks so he can have something to compare it with. Well ladies it was like music to my ears. After my big flexi splurge I didn't have the heart to purchase any more toys. What I wished I had done was purchase a variety of used ones from members from this forum. I was always under the impression that you could only swap and even then had to have a score of at least 5 to qualify. Plus although I do have a Paypal account, I have never done a personal transaction so don't know how to do it.*
So I know this isn't normally the place to post such inquiries but I'd like to purchase a 60th street fork of something similar from someone. I'm not really fussy about colour, I just would like to first see how they work and it will give my husband a better idea of what he's dealing with.
I'm also open to other offers in forks.*
It really is a niche market because ever since joining this site I've looked for forks and sticks in every store I could think of and I've yet to find any.
Thanks

Dreams_in_Pink
November 10th, 2014, 07:29 AM
A slight curve for the whole fork is best IMO.
By the way, this is sooooo romantic! :heartbeat

Stormynights
November 10th, 2014, 08:38 AM
He isn't a wood carver. He is an artist. I am going to start saving some money now so I can buy at least one of his items. I know he is going to make spectacular hair forks and I want one. I realize that he isn't selling now but it is just a matter of time I am sure. So much talent and so many women wanting beautiful and functional hair toys.

Cyclops
November 10th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Hi ladies as you are all aware my surprise got busted by my wife she did tell me to go on and find out for myself but I don't think she thought I would.
I am now on attempt 10 of making this comb. It would be easier if I had hair and could try these things as I go but being bald I doubt my wife would want to wait the years it would take for me to grow the amount of hair I would need. I think I am pissing her off trying to put an unfinished comb in her hair every 1/2 hour.
Now this comb issue has become a personal thing like a puzzle that I can't figure out. So much so that I have called in sick at work today because I can't get it out of mind.
Yesterday I did something I never did before (usually doing the opposite) and asked my wife to get a hair comb so I can see first hand what this thing is all about. It's easier as a carver if you can hold something in your hand rather than a picture. The big difference between a bird and this comb is the comb goes into my wife's hair and I'm sure you lady's know how important that is.
I plan to keep trying to make a nice comb for her while I wait for her to find one for me to examine. Another big surprise for me is I am really getting into this hair comb thing. The different things I could do at the top and the different looks of various woods and stains could keep me busy for a long time. Plus it would stop her from complaining about me wanting this or that tool.
I should get back to my shop thank you all for the help I will keep you up to date on my progress.

Catatafish
November 10th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to pop in to say that this is super sweet! :)

rusika1
November 10th, 2014, 04:51 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120225&page=5
post 165 has a comparison pic (side view) of combs by three different popular makers, #83 has top/end views to compare widths and thicknesses. See also #112, #41. (can you tell I'm going through the thread backwards and jumping from screen to screen? :P )

That thread has a lot of written comparisons to the head curve and thickness of various forks and might be useful to you.

ETA: I'd bet hennalonghair will be willing to make the sacrifice as long as there are no tough edges. Otherwise you could get one of those doll heads they use to train beauticians...

hennalonghair
November 10th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Rusika. Thank you so much. I've been looking for this kind of information for both of us.
That is a great thread. I really don't need to purchase any combs cause I know he'll figure it out. Presently I'm gathering up information from those who have theirs up for sale because it shows the full length. Trying to get pics of the width takes a bit more research but its a worthy cause.
Besides which I'm saving money to get him a beauticians doll head :rollin:

Cyclops
November 10th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Ha ha that's what I need at work. The guys to think I'm at home playing with a doll head.

Cyclops
November 10th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Thank you Rusika1. I looked through that thread and I have determined I am making the comb to wide. I am leaving about 1/2" between tines and that's for a 3 prong comb. Also I am starting the curve about halfway down the tine although the pictures show many variations of this curve I think it may be better to start the curve at the top. I had the way these were worn all wrong. I thought they were worn straight up and down so I was worried the point would be sticking into her neck but she pointed out to me this is not always the case.

rusika1
November 10th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Glad the information was helpful, even if you don't want a doll head! You know we're all going to want to see pictures, right?

neko_kawaii
November 10th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Here is a crude (exaggerated) sketch of how I draw head curve on a blank. Assume my blank is 1/2 inch thick and the fork is to be 1/4 inch thick.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg632/neko_kawaii_hair/image_zps03076bad.jpg

More dramatic head curve works too. I have two forks from 3/4 inch thick boards. I made a massive fork for someone in a swap which if I'm remembering correctly the curve goes from tip of tines to start of the topper and then the topper flares up slightly.

I look forward to seeing what you make!

Cyclops
November 10th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Thank you Niko. That is very helpful. From the pictures I have been looking at it appears to me thickness of the tine (looking from the side) is somewhere between 1/4" to 3/8". What I'm wondering is if I am looking at the comb while it sits flat in your hand is it better to have the with of the tine closer to 1/4" to make it easier to slide in your hair or is it better to have it wider.

neko_kawaii
November 10th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Both work. Jetterforks have wide tines that are quite thin and they are very popular. I'm looking at a couple forks by various makers and the tines vary from perfectly round to wider than they are thick, some are well rounded so you can't tell at a glance that they are oval in cross section and not circular. I suspect that keeping the tines a little wider gives the structural ability to be as thin as they are, but then I may just be unnecessarily rough while I'm sanding and that is why thinner things breaks in my hands at that point in the crafting process. I have a stick my mother turned for me that is 3/16 in diameter. I haven't broken it yet, but I'm ever so careful when I use it!

Smoothness is more important for sliding into a bun than the actual size of the tine.

ETA: also, for how much space to put between the tines, think about how you plan to shape and sand them. What tools will you use and how will you get into the space you leave for yourself.

truepeacenik
November 10th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Cyclops,
Be sure to look at various tine end shapes.

And a Halloween wig pinned to a styrofoam head would do for testing.
And you can claim its a Halloween prop. Plus it's all cheaper right now.

juliaxena
November 10th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Maybe ... someone could lend him a fork? :)

Majorane
November 10th, 2014, 11:23 PM
1) this is the sweetest thread ever, I read it a few days back and I was '...is this Hennalonghair's hubbles?' and yay, it is he, how cute is that :inlove:
2) I don't think there's a right and a wrong way per se with forks. I have forks that are completely without headcurve, so, completely straight, and they hold my hair just fine. I have very curved forks, also fine, forks with half a curve, you guessed it, they hold my hair fine, and with wide fat teeth and skinny narrow close together teeth... as long as the teeth are smooth, and the topper is not TOO heavy *eyes the Furnival Elephant suspiciously* they all work :cheer:
3) I like how this project gives Hennalonghair more hairtoys! And Cyclops more tools :bounce: I think you've caught up on the 'enabling' part of this board pretty quickly. "But, Henna, I need this particular sawsandfile toolrouterbittablemashizzlebob so I can make you more pretties..." :bounce: Excellent, excellent!!

4) will there be commissions in the future? For forks OR for birds? I'd love a wooden seagull, or any other bird for that matter.... you could absolutely sell the birds for a decent sum of money, they are superb!! But I dunno if the time invested in one bird makes it worth to sell it, and if that wouldn't destroy the fun. But just saying. For a handsome seagull I could always find a bit of budget. And there are quite some quail lovers hanging around here, too...
5) To cite I think Crystawni: MOAR PICTURES:whip:
6) if an of you need clear pictures of the curves of forks, or the tines, or whatever, give a yelp. I have gifted away a bunch of stuff but I do have some things left and I'm sure others would gladly photograph their tines and such, in exchange for more work in progress pictures.

Cyclops
November 11th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone I have just finished making my first hair fork I did not do any carving on it as I figured I should concentrate on the shape and comfort first. I did not put any finish on it yet either. The wife is very happy and is making me my favourite spaghetti dinner right now.(she makes great spaghetti sauce) I will post some pictures later tonight.

Stormynights
November 11th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Of the sauce or fork?

neko_kawaii
November 11th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Both, with a sauce recipe.

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Since DH can't post pics I am posting them:
He made two forks. One with 1/2 inch spacing between tines and 1/4 inch tines.
The curve is based mainly at the end. This fork weaves through my hair easily and holds solid like a rock.
It actually gives relief to my scalp root hairs. Something I wasn't expecting.

Here's the fork from on

Here's it is side view

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I forgot the pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//5A51894C-E983-4BDB-BC5B-9F38E9594E05_zpsqdfaduou.jpg.html
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//D80E095B-4EC0-4C68-B237-71B3909A4C64_zps6qyee5kf.jpg.html

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Here it is in my hair.

It's a bit big but its extremely comfortable. And I'm surprised how easy it slid into my hair. The hold is rock solid.
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//F5908734-CCE1-48F0-B2FC-2A1BDD2239F7_zpsrolmnuzb.jpg.html
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//BE39825E-9225-4138-800C-82E16969F184_zps7a4kxvhg.jpg.html

Stormynights
November 11th, 2014, 06:12 PM
If that is his first attempt you are in for a treat. That is awesome. I love it. Can we see pictures of that in your hair please?

neko_kawaii
November 11th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Looks great!

Now, about that pasta sauce. . .

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Here is the other one that's smaller. It is 3/8 tines and 3/8th between tines.*
Although it is smaller this fork was more difficult to insert into my hair.*
I'm not really sure why but that's the way it was. It's comfortable but doesn't hold my hair as Rock solid as the other one.*
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//C2AB1399-52B1-4FB4-8972-A5D3992E08E9_zpszuajyidu.jpg.html
Side view
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/DD018022-E7C7-4AEF-A608-A4D6D2932F22_zpsszzyod39.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Stellaaa
November 11th, 2014, 06:20 PM
:thud:

:applause:applause:applause:applause

ETA: My guess as to why the bigger fork is more comfy for you is the wider spaced tines. I tend to prefer wider spaced tines myself, thus my love for the 60th Street Jeni style (the one my avatar). There will probably be some days when the smaller one feels better than the other, like slippery hair days, maybe.

Kina
November 11th, 2014, 06:24 PM
wow, what great first attempts! Also, my significant other would like to say to your husband "you know, you've totally blown the curve for the rest of us, right? thanks. thanks a lot." :rolling:

Whoops, forgot to say that your hair is absolutely beautiful. and shiny... and beautiful :D

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2014, 06:25 PM
And here it is in my hair. The colour of my hair looks different depending on the lighting.*
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//7BB63461-B090-4E82-8C98-0CA61D5D90E6_zpsarhysjim.jpg.html
Side view
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//11328B02-B58E-4319-81DF-82337FA5428B_zps9qnr6x4e.jpg.html
Close up:
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media-full//0531470F-C619-4D96-80E3-C3CB705E0F24_zpsrpglb45q.jpg.html
It still needs staining and finishing but I'm VERY VERY pleased with these forks. In fact I'm stoked.*
Can ya tell? Brag alert? :lol:

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2014, 06:27 PM
wow, what great first attempts! Also, my significant other would like to say to your husband "you know, you've totally blown the curve for the rest of us, right? thanks. thanks a lot." :rolling:

:lol: :rollin:

I'll let him respond to that. Funny!!!

Stormynights
November 11th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I an see why he wants to make something special for your beautiful hair. When you use larger sticks and fork tines you buns have to be looser to get them in. Once they are in they hold just as well as the smaller tines. You will just have to play with them to figure it out with your hair styles.

Cyclops
November 11th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Hi everyone. It seems I am spending a lot of time here. I am really enjoying making these forks. When the wife picks out some stain I will stain them and apply a few coats of varatain to help it slide in and out Once I am settled on the right curve and spacing i will use a nicer piece of wood then I will figure out a better top for it. I am also looking forward to different finishes s well as maybe some different wood with more pronounced grain patterns. I would like to thank everyone again for all the help.

hennalonghair
November 11th, 2014, 07:37 PM
:thud:

:applause:applause:applause:applause

ETA: My guess as to why the bigger fork is more comfy for you is the wider spaced tines. I tend to prefer wider spaced tines myself, thus my love for the 60th Street Jeni style (the one my avatar). There will probably be some days when the smaller one feels better than the other, like slippery hair days, maybe.
Yes perhaps so. It's very comfortable. Your avatar fork is gOrgeous and fits you prrfect?As you can see from my pics I'm NOT experienced in bun making. In fact its pretty pathetic actually :shrug: but I'm still learning.

I an see why he wants to make something special for your beautiful hair. When you use larger sticks and fork tines you buns have to be looser to get them in. Once they are in they hold just as well as the smaller tines. You will just have to play with them to figure it out with your hair styles.
Hey Stormy
Yes this is all experimentation but I'm amazed how well these forks hold. It's like ROCK solid.
It's a journey and its nice to have something we can do together. He's having fun. I'm having fun so its all good.

Thanks everyone for not only helping my man make some hair toys but for welcoming him so warmly.
I'm going to try and stay off of this thread and let my husband have a thread of his own.its quite clear that my bun skills using a fork leaves much to be desired but I'm used to braiding all my hair first before putting it up first but inserting the fork through the braids was more difficult. I need to watch some bun tutorials using combs.

Stormynights
November 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Thank you both for the entertainment. I have enjoyed this thread immensely.

Calaelen
November 12th, 2014, 11:14 AM
So I just measured my bun, maybe this will help you. It's about 5 1/2" across, give or take, maybe slightly more. (It's hard to tell what's going on back there when I can't see it to measure it. :hmm: )
I generally buy forks with a 4.5" functional prong length, but I do have a few that are 5" functional length. The 5" functional ones stick out just a little more, but for certain buns I like a little bit of extra room. My hair does compact down fairly well.
The 2 forks that Scarlet linked above are great examples. Generally the rule with forks is you can go a little shorter on the functional prong length than you would for the functional length of a hairstick. Does your wife happen to have any hairsticks you could measure? Maybe that would help also.

And I agree with what Stellaaa said above, probably better to go a little bit too long than too short, you could probably shorten it for her if necessary (?)

edited to add - 6 inch prongs would be pretty big on probably anyone.. The total length would probably be about like 7" then, right? Having kind of a small head, a fork that size would be definitely be large and in-charge. :D Just sayin'

Unless you're me, and big hair toys are how you roll..lol. I think I have the collection of the biggest hairtoys on all of LHC. :D I like to think I have the bun to pull it off :p but my head isn't huge.

Anyway, back on topic, for your purposes, I think 5.5 inch to 6 inch total length for the fork would be ideal. Even I with 48 inch long hair and a VERY big bun, I easily and comfortably use a 5.5 inch fork. But thinking on it, the shortest forks I use tend to be thinner all around like 60th ST. Anything with a 1/4 inch thickness, I prefer to have at least 4.5 inch tines. I definitely think working a head curve into the fork https://www.etsy.com/listing/157900035/3-teak-45-inch-handmade-curved-2-prong?ref=market shown really well in this pic, would make the fork very comfortable for your wife.

Cyclops
November 20th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Hi everyone I am still working on my wife's hair comb. I am doing different curves and spacing between the forks to get one that is the most comfortable for her. So far I have made six forks two 4 prong forks and two 2 prong forks. My wife has been doing the finishing work on them as she can do a much better job than I can. I'm not sure if she has put pictures on her thread or not.
A very nice lady my wife has met on this site was kind enough to let us borrow her favourite comb and stick so I can see first hand what it looks like. This act of kindness is more then either of us expected This will help tremendously
This project is turning out to be a lot more complex than I had anticipated but it is also a lot of fun, I am having a blast.

lapushka
November 20th, 2014, 07:31 AM
This project is turning out to be a lot more complex than I had anticipated but it is also a lot of fun, I am having a blast.

I'm glad you're having so much fun. It's a nice thing to do for your wife. :)

Stormynights
November 20th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I have enjoyed this thread from the first post. It is so exciting seeing new things being made. Your carving skills are out of this world. I know that one of these days you will have an Etsy shop where we can find new toys for our hair that are both beautiful and functional. We always need new toys you know.