PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Helmets

busnutmedic
September 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Anyone found a great way to wear your hair under a motorcycle helmet?

Mostly I'm dealing with damage from getting the helmet off and on :( I don't know what to do, because a bigger helmet is, well, too big! I have a full face one piece helmet.

heidi w.
September 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Bandanna that covers all the hair (including bundled up length somehow....I have to do a wide pancake flattish bun or too much hair sticks out and the helmut won't go on), tied on the back of the head. Then helmut. Consider a silk scarf. I cover my forehead with the bandanna/scarf. I do not fold precisely in half because I need a triangled tail to go all the way over my hair in the back, and then tie on top of that so it holds.

When the helmut comes off, if it's tight, the bandanna might too.

That's how I do it.

heidi w.

dancingmegs
September 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I've been wearing a Buff, and then tucking the end of the Buff along with the braid down the back of my jacket. It works ok, but I'm going to be watching this thread for other ideas!

burns_erin
September 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
My dad used to braid his hair, slip a sock or silk stocking over it, then tuck it under his shirt over his shoulder then down the front. Used to drive my mother nuts when he would cut the ends out of her silk stockings.

PseudoScot
September 26th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Did anyone see the Scrubs episode where JD gets a hairmet? It's a helmet to protect your hair do. Made me laugh! I don't think it's a real product though. Not sure if I can link to it here but you can find vids on YouTube.

Anyway, back to reality, the buff and handkerchief ideas are the best. Those are the kinds of hair protection things I find most comfortable,

Finoriel
September 26th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I braid my hair and either use a buff, a bandana or a ski mask under the helmet. Sometimes I even use all three in combination, when itīs freezing :wink:. Best way to keep me warm and keep my hair protected. The braid getīs put into a sock with an elastic over it at the nape. Not very fashionable but effective and very secure. Never lost it until now. I even thought about using stripy tights just for fun, Iīm sure it would compliment my black bike and the black leathers :p ... but somehow never got around to actually do it. :ponder: wonder about which size of tights my head would need. Hair-gloves do not work anymore, they are just too short.
Not putting my hair into the helmet has one simple reason, my helmet fits perfectly, there is definitely no room for my hair in it.

1MegMeg
September 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I, too, wear a buff. It covers my head and protects my hair when pulling my helmet on and off. :)

Curlsgirl
September 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I should wear a buff but I don't ride too often so when I do I just stick my braid down the back of my shirt or around to the front. I would not wear a silk one just because if you were to have a spill I think the silk would tend to make the helmet come off more easily. Just my thoughts. I think a buff would be better, something not so slick for safety reasons.

eaglefeather71
September 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
My hair is still pretty short, but its definetly long enough to need to protect when I ride. I put it in a low pony tail and tuck it under a silk/satin scarf or bandanna. The only problem with that is that it comes off when I remove my full face helmet every time and I have to put myself back together before moving on.

busnutmedic
September 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hm...I might try something like a bandana. I did wear one once and it came off with the helmet, but I don't mind having to put it back on every time. My helmet would not fit, I don't think, with anything more than a bandana. I could try a flattish bun.

Maybe someday I will be able to afford a modular helmet that's easier to remove/put on ;)

Thank you all for the suggestions :)

Denise
September 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Tights.
Put top part on head, ponytail or braid down 1 leg, then wrap & tie the empty leg around the base of the other. All hair is covered and protected. :)

thetokenlady
September 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I wear a buff over a French Braid and tuck the end of the braid into my shirt or jacket. A proper-fitting helmet is snug, and there isn't any room for even a flat bun inside mine!

1MegMeg
September 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
My hair is still pretty short, but its definetly long enough to need to protect when I ride. I put it in a low pony tail and tuck it under a silk/satin scarf or bandanna. The only problem with that is that it comes off when I remove my full face helmet every time and I have to put myself back together before moving on.

Definitely relate to the frustration of the helmet on/helmet off shenanigans. My BF and I took a week long riding trip in the Alps back in late June and we stopped frequently through out the day. Every time we stopped I'd take off the helmet, pull off the buff, etc. Then when it was time to go I had to put it all on again. It didn't take that long, but it got old after a while.

busnutmedic - I have a modular helmet (the Shoei multi-tec) and, for me, it's not any easier (i.e. it's just as much a PITA) to get on and off than my old regular full face helmet. But maybe it's because I have the roundest fattest head ever! Hehe :)

harley mama
September 26th, 2008, 02:59 PM
1MegMeg, I hate to disagree with you but, I believe that I have the rounder, fatter head!
I loved my modular helmet but, I broke 2 of them and finally gave up and got a full face.

I wear my hair in a single low braid and cover my noggin with a bandana. I oil my tassel to help protect it and if the wind is very bad, I tuck the braid into my shirt. My bandana comes off every time I remove my helmet. It's not a big deal for me. I just pop it back on when we get ready to ride again.

Amara
September 26th, 2008, 04:21 PM
My dad used to braid his hair, slip a sock or silk stocking over it, then tuck it under his shirt over his shoulder then down the front. Used to drive my mother nuts when he would cut the ends out of her silk stockings.

AHAHAHAHA!!!

alinakathryn
September 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Bandanas are thicker than buffs. So if your helmet Fits well with out anything under it, Try a buff. Mine does come off every time I take off my helmet too. For under the buff I'd suggest just a plain braid starting at the nape of the neck. so that you don't have to worry about the extra thickness from a french braid. You can then tuck the braid down your shirt. Or better yet Get a second buff and fold it on itself and use the buff like a sock scrunchie thing so you are protecting the braid too.

Also, the next thing you can do is buy a new helmet, not all helmets are sized the same. I have a large (this one is probably too big no matter what), medium and a small all different brands. I can't even fit a buff under my small. But with the medium I can very comfortably wear a buff and the helmet still fits. When I bought the medium, tried it on with the buff just to see for that reason.

PeaceWithTrees
September 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I wonderd the same thing because im considering getting a Vespa skooter to ride to school! (shoooots! 8 dollors in gas a month!) but my hair!!!!!! My mom actually rides her vespa all the time, and i came up with a solution!!!! At REI, or an anyother sports store, they carry these thin cotton head were things, So she puts that on before she gets her helmet on, thus cutting down on the friction that is causing damage!

BUT!!!!!! THERE is an ever better solution! Use a silk scarf to wrap around your head and hair, like a 50s movie star, and then put your helmet on! THUS cuts down on even more friction!!!!!

RezanFerdous
December 3rd, 2017, 12:41 PM
You can try SPAM, it has good padding protection that will protect hair damage and all.

Alun
December 6th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I used to let my hair hang free and get damaged, but later I tried wearing my hair inside my jacket, using a faux silk scarf to hold it in, and usually at least ponytailing it first. I found that worked reasonably well. It's a while since I rode a motorcycle, though. I hadn't bunned or even plaited my hair at that time.

As for helmet sizes, there are several different systems. Sometimes domestic hat sizes get used, but these depend on where you are in the world. Small/medium/large/etc is also not very consistent. I prefer helmets sized in helmet sizes, where 0-5 cover most kids and adults. A short haired adult male is usually a 2, but that doesn't concern us! I have a fairly large head to begin with, and need a 4 to contain loose hair, even though my hair type is fine/thin. Length is not usually relevant to helmet size, unless you are crazy enough to think it's smart to bun it inside the helmet. Normally, the length should be just outside the shell, even if bunned directly below it. That way your lid should still fit regardless of hairstyle.