PDA

View Full Version : My Easy Way To "Wash" Scalp Only

JessTheMess
September 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
So, I have been noticing that the length of my hair has been looking quite amazing recently, and my scalp has been extra oily, despite using my BBB to take some of the sebum to my ends.
After an Epic Fail at trying everyone's scalp only methods, I came up with one of my own.

1. Take a spray bottle and filled it with plain ol' tap water.
2. Turn the setting on stream instead of spray.
3. Spray into sections of your scalp.
4. Gently massage it in.
5. Comb from scalp to length.
**ETA: I forgot to mention that I towel blotted my scalp dry for a minute before I started combing**

Tada!

I've been doing this every couple of days for 2 weeks and my length just started to get a bit stringy/greasy. This might be my new wash method as the colder months come in. :cheese:

Amara
September 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Oh that sounds like an awesome alternative! I haven't tried any scalp washing methods yet, as I use a 'poo bar and it feels good on my length and everything. But I'll keep this method in mind - perhaps for use at a hotel or something where I don't have my regular supplies with me?

JessTheMess
September 26th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I love my poo bars too, but I like to stretch out my washings as long as possible. This has been making it almost effortless :D

burns_erin
September 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I love spray bottles. been using them for washing my scalp/hair all the time for quite some time. I am quite happy I am no longer the lone spray bottle weirdo any more. I have very thick hair so I find it is the only way to really get my scalp washed well, standard methods do not get the shampoo down to my scalp without excessive amounts of shampoo and handling. I actually dilute/melt a chunk of my shampoo bar into it and it works quite well.

PseudoScot
September 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM
That's a nice method, thanks for that!

I actually found a BBB made my scalp go nuts with grease. The scalp hair would go totally oily and it wouldn't get down the rest of the inches I have to the length, so I gave that particular attempt up. :)

JessTheMess
September 26th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Oooohhh That's a great idea!

Angellen
September 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
THANK YOU.

I have been trying to find another alternative. My hair is getting long and heavy and drying time takes forever. My length looks fabulous for ages (weeks if I let it, in all likelihood), but my scalp gets oily within about 4 days. Shampoo bars made my crown hair happier, but the length was grumpy about being messed with. I'd been scalp washing with poo bars for quite a while with good results, but it was getting to be a huge drag to wash my hair every 4-5 days with all the added weight and drying time in colder weather. UGh.

Thanks for posting this, it gives me hope. :)

Fillette
September 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
What a great idea! Thank you for sharing.

LadyLongLocks
September 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I shampoo my scalp twice but only let the suds hit the length once. I do this simply by leaning my head over in the shower. Sometimes I hold the ends up so they cant get washed twice. I have not used a BBB in years. It always made my hair greasy.
If I want my hair oil at the ends of my hair I take the ends of my hair and rub it in a downward motion on the scalp hair. It works!
With hair 53" long It is the only way I can get my own hair oils down there!

JessTheMess
September 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I shampoo my scalp twice but only let the suds hit the length once. I do this simply by leaning my head over in the shower. Sometimes I hold the ends up so they cant get washed twice. I have not used a BBB in years. It always made my hair greasy.
If I want my hair oil at the ends of my hair I take the ends of my hair and rub it in a downward motion on the scalp hair. It works!
With hair 53" long It is the only way I can get my own hair oils down there!
That is a great idea!

arylkin
September 29th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Wow- I'll have to try this! It really cuts down on oiliness with just water?

Molster
September 30th, 2008, 07:25 AM
arylkin -
Wow- I'll have to try this! It really cuts down on oiliness with just water?

I can't work this out either. JesstheMess - Is there any form of detergent in the spray bottle, or is it just plain water?

JessTheMess
September 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Just plain water. I spray it on and blot it dry with a towel. Then I comb down the length. I guess the water gets the oil/sebum seperated from the hair somehow. When I blot it dry maybe the towel picks some of it up and the combing moves it down the length too get it off of the scalp. It works for me anyways. :shrug:

longinthehair
October 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
After my exercise class, took my shower, but it's too tiring and time-consuming to wash hair in late evening. So after my shower, tried this scalp only method. After wetting scalp kinda of haphazardedly cause I was doubtful whether it would work well enough. (Next time I'll be more thorough with my spraying.) Got it wet, finger-massaged few seconds; wrapped slightly top of head w. microfibre towel, blotted. Combed down thru hair. Put my usual after wash spray conditioner, little mousse only on the damp scalp hair. Wound hair up on top of head, my usual drying method..redone periodically. Lo and behold this works pretty well. Certainly saved me time - and lost no sleep time! Got thru a day at work without being too much of a flat top!
Next time when I do this, I will take more care in each step.
All in all went a whole lot smoother than the other scalp wash only methods I've tried. The other ones for me turned into a tangly mess! This could be a real time-saving breakthrough for me! Thanks so much JesstheMess.