PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is that?--weird black "hairs"?

glittergirl84
November 6th, 2014, 10:33 PM
I was watching tv the other day and I was sorta playing with my hair at the same time and I came across a few strands of hair and they felt so weird that I took out a pair of scissors and cut parts of the strands off because I wanted a closer look/feel. My hair is brown with a few strands of red and gray mixed in. These strands looked black to me. But the thing that really confused me was the texture of these hairs. They felt like fishing line. I tried to snap one of the strands in half to see if I could break it and it wouldn't break? So what are these hairs? I don't think they're anything bad...I just think they're weird and would like to know what they are. My mom suggested that maybe the hairs were about to turn grey...I've already gotten numerous gray hairs and even those gray hairs felt like nothing compared to this!

I don't dye my hair. I had a perm in my hair back when I was in 4th grade. Surely all of the hair would've replaced itself all by now, right? I don't blowdry, straighten. Basically the only products I use are shampoo/conditioner.

MsPharaohMoan
November 6th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Ahh, head pubes. Did you find them in the same place? Most of us have a mix of different thickness throughout our hairs, perhaps you've stumbled upon a grove of outliers?

saturnine
November 6th, 2014, 11:28 PM
I get them too, though they aren't that noticeable since my hair is already dark and isn't fine by any stretch of the imagination. I mostly find them on the crown of my head, and afaik they aren't from damage.

I think that most of the time they're caused by aging and hormonal changes. And if it's just a few, then they could just be random mutants. :P

Dragonfly
November 7th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I have found a few over the years, I thought I was the only one!

Zindell
November 7th, 2014, 01:31 AM
These strands looked black to me. But the thing that really confused me was the texture of these hairs. They felt like fishing line. I tried to snap one of the strands in half to see if I could break it and it wouldn't break?

Ah, I've experienced this as well. I'm blonde but every now and then... a few years apart it seems I find one black extremely resilient hair. It's like a strand from a horses mane! It won't break as you say.

I guess it's a hair follicle gone wild.

squirrrel
November 7th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Yep! I'm mostly very fine hair, but every now and again I spot one hair here or there that's a very dark brown, curls and waves like no mans business (when all my other hairs are straight) and is very coarse, esp in comparison with the rest of my hair. I found the first as a teenager I think, since then have just accepted that I'm going to have a few of these on my head at any one time... *shrugs*

lapushka
November 7th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Yes, that's totally normal. You won't have that many of them, but just a few throughout the hair is what's on all our heads. I have dark dark ashy blonde/ashy brown hair and I get these hairs as well. They're kinky curly in my case (wish my whole head was like that but alas). Yes, totally fine and normal. Don't worry about it and leave them alone. No pulling them out or cutting them!

DreamSheep
November 7th, 2014, 06:27 AM
I think we all have these nice shiny black coarse hairs. :)
I always get the impression people really hate them though - I don't know why, I love mine and I love finding them amongst all my other fine hairs!

Knifegill
November 7th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I'm growing to terminal so any un-aplittable warrior hairs like that are welcome. Maybe they'll encourage the rest of my hair to toughen up!

maborosi
November 7th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I have these too- except mine aren't usually black. They're super kinky and extremely extremely coarse. They're fun! I find I get them a lot on the top of my head.

Earelia
November 7th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Hahaha! This happened to me before. I have dark hair and one day by my temple I found a very thick, coarse, curly golden hair. My boyfriend also gets a golden red hair that grows out of his one eyebrow that has no growth limit. I love when these wierd things happen.

tokugawa.miyako
November 7th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Ahh, head pubes.

I started cracking up at this comment haha. :p

I don't tend to get this in my hair, but I do occasionally find stray courser, darker hairs on other parts of my body. I don't see why they couldn't also happen on someone's head. I have heard that hormones can cause this kind of thing. It doesn't seem like something to worry about though. :)

captaincrunch
November 7th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I am a blonde and have some of these too.

lunalocks
November 7th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I have at least one that I find every so often - black and thick and straight.

Catatafish
November 7th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I've found them growing on other parts of my body. I also had an arm hair that was fine and blond like the rest of my other arm hairs, but was about 7cm long. I loved showing it to people. I was kind of sad when it disappeared.

MINAKO
November 7th, 2014, 01:24 PM
wiry and black hair is a good percentage of my entire head, the rest is fine but still black. In reverse i grow one hair thats really light brown, not white tho and also very horsehair-like, does neither take henna nor indigo well, of course there are more hairs that show some variation, but this particular one i can literally find again in a matter of seconds. would be kinda sad if it falls out and grows back normal.

Enrapture
November 7th, 2014, 01:40 PM
First time hearing this :D I've never had this before.

JustPam
November 7th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Yup, I find the occasional one too, usually around my parting. My hair is dark blonde 1c/M and these "pubey" hairs are dark brown, wiry, squiggly and coarse, like a big long beard hair!

Avis
November 7th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I'm growing to terminal so any un-aplittable warrior hairs like that are welcome. Maybe they'll encourage the rest of my hair to toughen up!

Un-splittable warrior hairs! :rollin: I wish all my hairs were like that.

I get these also. My hair is already black, so the unusual ones are really coarse and are irregularly kinky. I usually don't notice them until I shed them.

mamaherrera
November 7th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I have those too, but the ones that worry me are the "flyaway" super thin hairs that I find in my partings, whereever I part, that stick straight up and are super lightweight and fly around, and they don't grow more than like 2-3 inches, what the heck are they doing on top of my head?? They are so thin compared to my normal medium/coarse strands.

Begemot
November 7th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I have few head pube types of and one warrior strand :D It's twice as thick compared to normal strands, super resilient and it has wiry texture and a deep auburn brown color. I always find it eventually when I S&D.

glittergirl84
November 7th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Thank you all for the replies!

Ahh, head pubes. Did you find them in the same place? Most of us have a mix of different thickness throughout our hairs, perhaps you've stumbled upon a grove of outliers?

lmao, I'll have to remember head pubes. :D Yes, they were in the same place.

Yes, that's totally normal. You won't have that many of them, but just a few throughout the hair is what's on all our heads. I have dark dark ashy blonde/ashy brown hair and I get these hairs as well. They're kinky curly in my case (wish my whole head was like that but alas). Yes, totally fine and normal. Don't worry about it and leave them alone. No pulling them out or cutting them!

I posted my original post on the longhair community on Live Journal and I replied with another description. Overall they were straight but it looked like it had a bit of a twist on the top of the strand. I know that's probably the wrong word to use. Picture the grooves on a bobby pin and if it were possible to get that groove on your hair permanently...that's how it looked up top.

My mom is a frequent gray hair puller and I've always been one to just leave mine alone because they don't really bother me. I'll leave these alone as well.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I have so far found one of these on my head - they are the oddest thing. Mine was all spirally just like a spin pin :)

Knifegill
November 7th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Yes, "splittable". Kudos for deciphering that typo.

Johannah
November 8th, 2014, 02:46 AM
Oh, I got those as well. Nothing to worry about!

Anje
November 8th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Yep, I get a few of those. They're often more crinkly than wavy and they're right on top of my head.

I've found them growing on other parts of my body. I also had an arm hair that was fine and blond like the rest of my other arm hairs, but was about 7cm long. I loved showing it to people. I was kind of sad when it disappeared.
I've got a piece of peach fuzz near my armpit like that. Gets to be maybe 2 inches long and then I'll notice it standing on end and yank it. Hubby tells me he once had a mutant armhair that could wrap all the way around his forearm. He was sad when he eventually lost that one, and it never came back. :(

spidermom
November 8th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I think all the separate DNA strands that come together in our genetics express themselves in our hair. I've seen just about every color and every texture on my head, but most of them are kind of a bland blonde but getting more silvery all the time.

fiğrildi
November 8th, 2014, 04:16 PM
I have them too. My hair's dark blonde and mostly fine, so they contrast quite a lot. I noticed them when I was a teenager, and by pulling them out I developed trich. Now I like them, so I leave them alone :wink:

There is/are another thread/s about these black hairs, and some people were offended by the use of the expression "head pubes". So maybe it would be nicer not to refer them as that.

lapushka
November 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
There is/are another thread/s about these black hairs, and some people were offended by the use of the expression "head pubes". So maybe it would be nicer not to refer them as that.

I have to agree with you on that. They look like 4a to 4c hairs, and you wouldn't call those hairs pubes, would you?

Catatafish
November 10th, 2014, 04:37 PM
You get so attached to them!

RachelRose
December 25th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I haven't seen any head pubes on myself lol is it weird I'm jealous of you ladies :) I want some fishing line hair gah I will be looking verrry closely now

Cinnamonagouti
December 26th, 2014, 05:57 AM
I get them occasionally, too... And otherwise I have blonde, very fine hair (with a few med/coarse red strands) so it's very interesting, haha :) Feels like a hair from a horse's tail. Sometimes I've found striped hairs too - one inch of black, one white/light blonde, one black etc... and with the black part being very coarse, and the light very fine :P