PDA

View Full Version : Length You Started Using Hair Toys?

Puffer Fish
November 5th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I'm dying to use/buy more hair sticks, but my hair is nowhere near long enough yet to use them, at least I don't think it is.

What length was your hair before you could use hair sticks/forks? How long are the sticks you used? (If you don't remember, how long is your hair now/how long are your sticks now?)

Quasiquixotic
November 5th, 2014, 08:00 PM
So I started being able to put my hair up with 5 prong Jeter's and ficcare at 19-19.5", and for about every 1/3" of length I gained I was able to drop a tine on my forks, down to sticks at around 21-21.5". It was about 3-4 months of growth this summer for me. I just measured this month and I'm at 23" and solid APL. I joined here in February at 17". That was hard. From Pixie to being able to put it up was the hardest for me. It still seems like it's taking SO long, but at least I can put it up and forget about it. I would highly suggest you don't measure your hair but once a month. I would focus on it so much and it just made it worse. It's like weighing yourself often when you are trying to lose weight. It's just a bad idea.

Any who, I bought toys like crazy and now that I can use them, I am way more selective in what I buy.

Hugs! The best part about hair is it just grows. We are the ones that need patience.

Avis
November 5th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I got my first pair of sticks when I was about APL but I'd been wearing a cinnabun with a claw clips for months before that. The sticks are 5" and worked great. Now that I'm at BSL, they're starting to get a little buried, but I'm not sure they'll ever completely disappear in a bun.

Like Quasi said, it just grows. I know it sucks having to wait for it, but it does happen. And I swear, one day, you'll be getting ready to wash your hair and you'll look at it in the mirror and think "WHOA! When did my hair grow so much??"

Maybe you could try buying things when you hit certain milestones. And also, don't underestimate the holding power and potential beauty of the claw clip. Happy growing (sorry for the novel :p)

Caraid♫
November 5th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I didn't buy a fork until my hair was about waist length! It was a 4" fpl, 5" total and was a good fit (and still fits!) I would try to hold my hair up with pencil/sticks before, but I couldn't get it to work until my hair was a bit longer (but that might've been more of a getting the hang of it thing than a hair length thing, because I know lots of people can use sticks and forks with hair shorter than waist!)

SongofLove
November 5th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure why but I couldn't seem to hold my hair up with a stick before I hit waist length. But my hair is slippery and I'd never done buns before so I was prolly just doing it wrong :D And I'd never tried using claw clips or other tools (I bet a 4-prong fork would have worked). I didn't buy any hair sticks until I was sure I could use one (I practiced with a pencil) and I was sooo happy when I finally got the hang of it (and I bought myself some Ketylos :) ) Now my favorite are fat sticks like Lady Idun.

I know that many people can use hair toys at much shorter lengths. I think it depends on the hair thickness and texture.

patienceneeded
November 5th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I could get a hairstick to hold at APL. However, it was not in any particular LHC style or anything. Just sort-of twisted up and sticked. Not really a bun. Too much thickness. I also had to re-do it several times a day, as it would fall out on occasion.

Now I can do most styles (almost hip) and still re-do styles throughout the day, mainly because of headaches.

Mellenoire
November 6th, 2014, 02:13 AM
I can use hairsticks at BSL usually. Any shorter and tufts start sticking out.

Lyv
November 6th, 2014, 03:03 AM
I could only use a stick when I got longer than BSL and even then it barely went up. I think it was because my hair is so thick though.

pixldust
November 6th, 2014, 03:41 AM
I got my first stick, a 5" one, when I was nearly at apl. Can't remember what the length would've been but apl was 21" so a little bit before that. I cut an old chopstick in half and practiced with that first as I didn't want to invest money in hair toys until Iwas sure I could do a bun with a stick. Before that I'd either used a sock bun or little claw clips to hold a bun up. I still use claw clips sometimes for a change. I don't have many hair toys at the moment, I want to wait til I reach my goal before I do any serious buying.

fiğrildi
November 6th, 2014, 04:13 AM
BSL-MBL, some months after I joined this forum. I had never been interested by hair toys until then :wink:

Stray_mind
November 6th, 2014, 04:27 AM
I bought a two prong hair fork and a couple of hair sticks last month. I am at APL. The bun doesn't come out very neat, but it holds.

Wosie
November 6th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I was at APL when I received my first hair sticks, in April of this year. :) They were 6.5" long, but now I normally buy them in 6". My first few buns looked pretty... bad. Not only because I didn't have much length to work with, but also because I had never worn hair sticks before. There are many great youtube tutorials to help you with that, though. :D

Before I started using hair sticks to put up buns with, I used a velvet scrunchie (only ever made cinnabuns), and I started putting my hair up with ze scrunchie ~a year ago. Before that I always wore it loose. Time sure flies, doesn't it? :o

Hotrox
November 6th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I'm at APL and I can use a stick to hold a cinnabun, lazy wrap and french roll. I was surprised that the cinnibun actually felt more secure with a stick and they will all hold for the day. My hair is quite fine and curly, I think the curls give it some grip!!

Lindenare
November 6th, 2014, 07:59 AM
The first time I got a stick bun to hold, my hair was just past hip and I could only do a pencil bun. Now that I'm barely past TBL, I can use sticks for gibraltar buns, an adapted pencil bun, and some version of an LWB (I think, anyway). Still can't do a proper nautilus, and probably won't be able to until classic or so.

Anje
November 6th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I started maybe a bit above BSL, though I switched to things like hairsticks because I was noticing breakage from my constant ponytail, not because I was waiting for my hair to get long enough to use them.

Hootenanny
November 6th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I started when I joined here, and at that time I was around 24 inches (APL-ish). The first bun I was able to do with sticks was the disc bun, if that's any help. :)

battles
November 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Between APL and BSL I can usually start using toys. I'm at the point where i can get them to hold for a little bit, just twisted up awkwardly..

Aderyn
November 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Between BSL and waist (which was when I first discovered LHC and hair toys in general). I was just barely able to do some basic buns at the time due to the thickness of my hair, but I do have quite a bit of taper which allows me to get away with a lot of buns I otherwise wouldn't be able to do.

Johannah
November 6th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Between APL and BSL I bought my GTS fork. Worked wonderfully! It was this one. I still use it: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/69031707

Yozhik
November 6th, 2014, 03:55 PM
As others have mentioned, a lot depends on thickness and texture, as well as length; however, for me, I was able to get a stick to hold (not very well) by APL.

I discovered that forks hold better much sooner, and I basically only used them (three- or more-pronged) until I hit around waist+ and discovered that finally sticks hold just as well. I think for me part of it was practice and the other part was not liking to use more than one stick, which meant I had to wait to develop more secure buns (and have longer hair with which to do so) in order to use sticks and get them to actually stay. :)

lapushka
November 6th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I had a claw clip in my hair from APL onto waist. Then at waist, a bun became possible (finally) and I switched to hair forks for the first time.

two_wheels
November 6th, 2014, 04:03 PM
A few inches above APL and I could do twists and stuff with forks. Then folded braids and eventually the lazy wrap bun became possible and I was soooo happy :D
Good luck. With the size thing, having tried both ways I prefer buying small now & swapping later but it's up to you.

butter52
November 7th, 2014, 05:43 AM
What about for half ups? Im in collar length yet and I discovered I can put my hair in a half up with a chopstick (no fancy bun, just up-pinch-twist-whatever).

Im thinking in getting 4-1/2" sticks to see if i can do it better and maybe with help of some Upins.

Agnes Hannah
November 7th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Hi I used (and still do) claw clips regularly since my hair was between APl and BSL. Now it is waist I also use beak clips as close to ficcares as I can find (difficult to get them in the UK). Both hold my very fine thin hair really well. I have some forks, but am not yet proficient in using them, am waiting for more length. I also have some sticks and I really like them, but they just slip right out!. Therefore, claw clips and beak clips get the thumbs up from me. PS. I looked in the mirror today and was amazed how long my hair was!

hanne jensen
November 8th, 2014, 06:27 AM
I could wrap my hair around 1 finger and hold that loop up with a Ficcare size L or a Flexi size L at half way between shoulder and APL. At APL I could use a hair donut.