PDA

View Full Version : What is that green gunk?

darklyndsea
November 5th, 2014, 04:57 PM
The gunk I'm talking about is the gunk that appears on my Ficcares and now apparently my spin pins. My sebum isn't green, as far as I can tell, so maybe it's a reaction of my sebum and the metal? I haven't seen any with my Amish pins though.

RocketQueen
November 5th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Is it green like the green like the green-rust-like gunk you get on the stems of cheap earrings? If so, then it's a reaction to the metal. (Worked at a jewellery store for years). You get all sorts of weird body reactions with metal that isn't stainless steel.

PS. I actually have no idea what you're talking about. Thats just the first thing that popped into my head when you said "green" and "metal".

Pps. I'm new here. Hi. :)

swords & roses
November 5th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Could just be tarnishing of the metal. Maybe there's some copper in the mixed metal the hair toys were cast from? I know some metals like old coins, kuchi jewelry, costume jewelry, and music instruments can get a green gunk build up on them over time. Maybe try scrubbing it off with soap & water, & keep them polished up with a polishing cloth? (I've never been fortunate enough to own a ficcare, so I'm not sure if that would be safe for whatever decorative finish is on it. Check your care instructions, if they came with any.)

Or it could be a reaction between the metal & your sebum. Anything is possible when it comes to metal. And not all metals are created equal! All sorts of mysteries as to what exactly one thing is cast from compared to the next. Heck, US pennies aren't even made of copper any more! (The price of the amount of copper needed to make a penny went higher than the value of the penny itself, so now they're made from zinc & just coated with a thin layer of copper so they look like the old solid copper ones.) Crazy, huh? But long story short, it may be that your amish pins are made from a different metal/mix than your spin pins or ficcares, so if the gunk is from a metal reaction, it would affect the different metals of the different toys in different ways.

Hope that helps a bit with the mystery!

gossamer
November 5th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Is it green like the green like the green-rust-like gunk you get on the stems of cheap earrings? If so, then it's a reaction to the metal. (Worked at a jewellery store for years). You get all sorts of weird body reactions with metal that isn't stainless steel.

PS. I actually have no idea what you're talking about. Thats just the first thing that popped into my head when you said "green" and "metal".

Pps. I'm new here. Hi. :)

Welcome and comment more around here! :) It sounds like you have a pretty good theory based on related evidence!

darklyndsea
November 5th, 2014, 11:06 PM
I don't wear earrings often enough to know. It wipes off as easily as my sebum wipes off of anything (which is only a bit more easily than sticker gunk is to clean off) and feels kind of slimy.

It appears within a few days of cleaning off a Ficcare; I haven't had my spin pins long enough to know about them.

swords & roses
November 6th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Do you use any leave-in products like conditioners or oils? Could be a chemical reaction to those.

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like anything to be too concerned about. Just a little inconvenient to have to clean it off so often. ;)

darklyndsea
November 6th, 2014, 06:04 AM
It happened before I started oiling my hair, back when I didn't use any leave-ins, so I don't think it's that.