PDA

View Full Version : Starting over

psimons
September 26th, 2008, 03:48 AM
After growing my mostly grey/white hair to almost waist, I cut it in April when I visited my daughter whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I got the typical short, layered cut above the collarline. I was OK with it for awhile, but realized that I didn't "recognize" myself in the mirror anymore and all of a sudden I hated how I looked in all my clothes.

I read another thread where a poster said she had "lost her mojo" after a major haircut and I really know what she means. So..... I have decided to go for it again. Starting over at (almost) 53. I will grow out my layers again and keep the no bangs look this time. I have ordered a couple of Stylees to help with the sticky-outy ends and will soldier on. I guess I didn't realize how my hair made me feel inside and I'm hoping this is the last time I will have to start over.

Slug Yoga
September 26th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Good for you! Yeah, it's funny how we sort of build this internal/external picture of the person we are, and get discombobulated when those no longer match. Now, at least, you'll feel certain that you really want long hair, and not entertain any "what if" regrets.

bella77
September 26th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I am starting over too, although I never even got to BSL, I was farther along than ever when I went into the salon and came out 8 inches shorter. It's now a short bob, sort of, it has uneven choppy layers- which will hopefully grow out soon and then I can keep it all one length. So we will grow together!!!

Chrissy
September 26th, 2008, 06:00 AM
It's OK. We are in the same boat; age and hair. Lets strive together!!! I'm trying to enjoy the journey; although when I see the long hair meet pics I sigh a bit about how long my hair was....But then I get back on to loving my hair even now. I may as well enjoy where I am on the way to where I'm going. Otherwise it will be torture. My first goal is a pony stub. That will take a while but it's OK!

Addy
September 26th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I'll be over here rooting you on! :cheer:

Silver & Gold
September 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'm going for it for the last time. I know it's the last time because I realize how much I hate my hair short. My whole life has been spent trying to find ways to like the way I look in short hair.
I find that I can't wear the clothes I prefer in short hair. I have to wear more tailored styles and I prefer more flowing styles. I also find that I wear more make-up in an attempt to look feminine against my short hair and tailored clothes.
So now I'm going for the natural me. Long, silver tresses and flowing clothes. I will be in my 50's before the transformation is complete but I'm headed in the right direction so that's all that counts.
So all of us . . . ahem . . . mature girlies can hold hands while we get ourselves through it. I like looking at the hair of the likes of Spidermom for encouragement. I'm a long, long way from where I hope to be eventually but I'm learning how to use updos to get me through bad hair days rather than reaching for the scissors.
Anyway, welcome aboard, there are a lot of us on this board who are in the same boat.

paper
September 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Good luck! I'm starting over too, from short layered cut. I'm hoping by the time I'm 50, I'll reach my goal, having one length, waist length hair. It's going to be a long journey, but we can do it together. :)

JessTheMess
September 26th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Good for you!! I admire women who have long strands! I hope to be amongst you all when I grow up :) My mom and my fiance think I'm crazy, but I think it's beautiful!

FrannyG
September 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I'll be here cheering you on and watching your progress. It's never too late. We can't let the kids have all the fun, now can we? :) Keep us posted with pictures, please. :blossom:

GlennaGirl
September 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Me too. I'm right around Paper's length. Welcome!

spidermom
September 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Wow - this looks like a fun group to be in. Maybe I'll cut mine so that I can grow with you folks. Ha-ha; well, I have been thinking about it, but no - I think not, especially after reading the original post. I'm sure I'd feel the same.

utdesertrunner
September 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Good for you! I think long silver hair is beautiful! Can I join in? I am growing out my hair from a layered bob a year ago. Everytime I cut my hair I miss it terribly and like how I look much better with long hair. Right now I'm in the between shoulders and APL and this is usually the time I cave in and chop. So, I'm trying to stay strong and get past this stage.

What are some fun things you all do to enjoy and get thru the awkward lengths?

psimons
September 27th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. My last cut was in May and it's just now starting to feel comfortable again. Funny how it changes how you feel in certain clothes. I remember watching episodes of "What Not to Wear" and Nick saying to every woman who didn't want a drastic cut - "your hair is only an accessory - get over it". I think this man should be a man's barber or something. How many women were in his chair crying because of insensitive hacking and chopping so he could feel great about himself as a "stylist". Anyway - I am now getting comfortable with the collar length and can manage a small pony stub with side barrettes. The other day I actually wrapped a pretty scarf around my head and it looked great. So - onward fellow re-growers!

Melisande
September 27th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I had my last haircut more than two years ago, and I couldn't even make a ponytail. I had a layered, well-done and pretty enough shoulder-touching cut but it was much too short for me. I decided to go back to my longer-haired self after many years of c. shoulder length. And I'm 44 now.

I can't see myself with shorter hair anymore. It's just not me.

The nice thing about hair: it grows while you go on with your life, and all of a sudden you look into the mirror and - there it is again.

Wishing you all the best on your journey. We're all on the same journey, just at different stops.

Chrissy
September 27th, 2008, 06:21 AM
My one thing that I need to not do is think that by the time my hair gets to the length in my siggy I will be around 58!!! That gets to me for some reason. The last time I chopped this short it took 5 years to get to 29". Live and learn I guess. I've been trying to put a positive note on it. In 5 years my youngest will be graduating from high school. I'm an older Mom. So then on his graduation day I can wear my hair in a pretty updo for the occasion. I'll be curious to know what color it will be by then. My hair is blondish but has gotten somewhat darker as I get older. If I look real hard I can see a few white strands. They don't show easily since I have lighter hair. I'm glad you all have popped in here. Come visit on the Shorties group. It's way too quiet over there.

Carolyn
September 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
You've discovered you are a true long hair :) Good luck on your grow out. It's never too late to do it.

HairyCarrie
September 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Hello - I'm in the club too. I figure time is going to pass anyway so I may as well have long hair when it does. I have a daughter in high school and I too am looking forward to her graduation day with my prettiest updo in place.

Tressie
September 27th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hooray for you and all the others on this journey! Go for what makes you feel good about you! I know from personal experience that not all family members and not all SOs love long hair. So what?! WE DO! Anybody who doesn't like it will just have to lump it, to put it nicely.............sort of nicely, anyway! (o:

ole gray mare
September 27th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah for you! As a fellow silver sister, I am rooting you on. You already know it will be worth the journey, since you've been here before. :flowers: