PDA

View Full Version : At what length do you consider hair to be long?

openeyeddreamer
November 4th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I consider hair long starting at mid back length haha

PixxieStix
November 4th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I'll consider it "long" on other people once they reach past BSL, for me, I didn't feel like my hair was getting long until I was solid waist. :) I remember going in for a trim around BSL and the stylist thought my hair was SO LONG, and couldn't understand why I would want to grow it out any longer. Thankfully, she did exactly as I asked, bemused though she was.

gthlvrmx
November 4th, 2014, 09:14 PM
By the time it's hip length for me it is considered long :)

Marbid
November 4th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Hip length. Definately. There is a way hair drapes around you when you bend your head down while you are sitting that seems like a curtain. A curtain made from me shielding me from the world. ( hope i explained it ) untill i get this feeling, then hair is not long yet. And this happens at hip or so. The curtain effect.

Madora
November 4th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Waist length.

Hopeful65
November 4th, 2014, 09:36 PM
The longer I read on LHC, the shorter my hair feels, haha ;)

My goal was waist, but now I think hip sounds good.

xsweetpotatox
November 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM
On other people: BSL. On me: pretty much never, it seems.

Blondieee
November 4th, 2014, 10:24 PM
I think hip length is way too long and looks somewhat fake in my opinion. Long to me is right below the chest area. I would call that perfect length.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 4th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I think hip length is way too long and looks somewhat fake in my opinion. Long to me is right below the chest area. I would call that perfect length.

(Snort) Wait until you've been on LHC a while....:)

MungoMania
November 5th, 2014, 12:43 AM
I first felt like a true long hair when my hair reached waist length. On others, perhaps midback is somewhat long. Since I've been at LHC I keep extending my goals and my opinions of "long" have changed.

Tini'sNewHair
November 5th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Hip for me :)

Federica
November 5th, 2014, 01:07 AM
For me, short hair is above shoulders, medium goes from shoulder to BSL, medium-long from BSL to waist, long is from waist to BCL and very long when it covers more than a half of your figure.
My hair never feels long to me until I reach at least TBL, and when I see someone else around with hair as long as mine it always look longer to me.

Quixii
November 5th, 2014, 01:12 AM
You might want to consult these other threads with the same question :):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3086
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25611
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16822

But anyway, I think long hair starts around tailbone on other people. Mine didn't feel long to me until classic.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 5th, 2014, 01:19 AM
I think waist or longer can be classed as long. For me, TBL and longer is super long and classic and longer are jaw dropping long. Knee and longer are indescribably fantastically awesomely long :)

katelinn
November 5th, 2014, 01:35 AM
I don't consider hair long until waist, anything shorter than that is half long..!

Blondieee
November 5th, 2014, 01:45 AM
(Snort) Wait until you've been on LHC a while....:)

Lol :)
(message too short)

hanne jensen
November 5th, 2014, 02:54 AM
For me, I consider my hair getting there when I reach hip. Before LHC I considered BSL to be long hair. Now that I have BSL I think it's short.

Begemot
November 5th, 2014, 04:20 AM
On others hair starts to look long after BSL. On myself it's at waist length.

ladyfey
November 5th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Classic length. I'd call BSL to waist medium and higher than that short.

Decemberrose
November 5th, 2014, 04:40 AM
I did not feel like a longhair when I was a bit past BSL, I think hip would be long for me :)
Maybe this opinion moves along with the hair, IF you know what I mean...

clioariane
November 5th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I consider past collarbone to be long.

Lyv
November 5th, 2014, 05:02 AM
I think I'd call waist long, BSL/MBL medium and anything above is short.

Wosie
November 5th, 2014, 05:16 AM
It's all very subjective. And of course frequently visiting LHC changes one's perspective on things. :p But right now I'd say my perspective on things is that... MBL is long, around hip-BCL it starts to look very long, while knee length is super long. :)

Kherome
November 5th, 2014, 05:23 AM
People who want long hair will say that whatever they have is long.

Long hair doesn't start until hip IMO. I didn't consider myself a long hair until TBL though.

embee
November 5th, 2014, 06:25 AM
When I was young I wanted *long* hair, great swirling princess hair, down below hip. Of course it didn't happen, my hair wouldn't grow past BSL. How disappointing. So BSL was "long" on me, but it wasn't Long Hair. I was sad.

When I joined TLHC my hair was about waist, and I was amazed, thinking it was pretty long. I had measured one hair and it was 36 inches, a yard! I'd been wearing my hair up because it got in the way at work. It was too expensive to go to a salon for the constant trims, so I grew it out. I'd not realized my BSL "long hair" was because of physical damage, being down and loose and getting caught in stuff and all, but surely that's what it was. Helped by occasional trims of course. :*

Now I see hair at waist or longer as Long Hair. Anything shorter, like BSL, is "getting there", or "growing out". ;)

Amapola
November 5th, 2014, 08:43 AM
For myself, my own hair, it did not seem "long" to me until it was the infamous BCL. But on others, I do consider waist to be long. Just not on me. I'm such a hypocrite... :p

purplevickie
November 5th, 2014, 09:01 AM
On others, I think BSL - basically when it covers the bust area! I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I've been wondering when my hair will start to feel 'long' to me... I'm only creeping up on APL though, so a while yet.

battles
November 5th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I started to feel like I had long hair around BSL - MBL, but I'd never had hair past shoulder length before.

I don't notice hair on others unless it's waist or longer, so I guess that may be what I actually consider long.

PennyQuin
November 5th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Every time I reach a new goal I consider the next step the longest... and so on so in the end for me there is no long hair for me, I just keep calling it short :pray: I think I will call it long when I get Terminal length.

PennyQuin
November 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Every time I reach a new goal I consider the next step the longest... and so on so in the end for me there is no long hair for me, I just keep calling it short :pray: I think I will call it long when I get Terminal length.

Catatafish
November 5th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I think that chin and up is short, around shoulders is medium, and BSL downwards is long. Past hip is super-long, and past classic is super-duper long.

I have developed hair dysmorphia since frequenting the LHC though. My friends are telling me that my hair is getting nice and long, but now I want to have it hip at least, and might even try for longer if it isn't too much trouble.

I think that part of it is that I can't manage to do the pretty updo's that people with much shorter hair than me seem to manage.

lunalocks
November 5th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I once thought if I ever got to waist (and I truly did not think that was possible) I would finally have "long" hair. Well, I bypassed waist long ago. Now just past TB and I still don't quite feel it is long. That IS what seeing all these gorgeous heads here has done to me. Hopefully I will be satisfied once i reach classic (in just a few months) but I suspect not.

On other people even mid back looks long. Then I have to remind myself that mine is much longer. Hmmmm

minaa
November 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Catatafish, it may be your hair thickness that's the culprit. I had to get to WL to start doing anything other than messy, piddly bee butt buns and psuedo-cinnabuns.

Reasons why I'm growing to TBL now. :) To see what I can do. when I actually have length to play with.

To answer the thread's question: MBL and WL were what really made me feel like my hair was getting longer. BSL felt like "mainstream" long, vs. "true" long.

diddiedaisy
November 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I agree with minaa, bsl is mainstream long.

melusine963
November 5th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I'll consider it "long" on other people once they reach past BSL, for me, I didn't feel like my hair was getting long until I was solid waist.

This is exactly how I feel.

Seventy7
November 5th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I'm still mainstream then, as I consider BSL long. After that, I don't yet know what to look for. But I guess like the question "what do you consider old" it grows with your own reference.
I'm curious how I feel about it once I reach BSL, but that might take a while.
As my hair is thin and fine it starts to feel long-ish at collarbone now. First because I haven't had this long hair in some years and secondly because I can do a few nice updo's already.

Rio040113
November 5th, 2014, 12:21 PM
On other people - Waist/Waist+

On myself - Er, I'll let you know when it finally feels long? :lol: I'm at TBL right now and it still feels short!

ZeppHead
November 5th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I consider anything longer than bsl long on someone I see out and about. Though I'm waist now I personally don't feel long though once I reach hip that may change.

Catatafish
November 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I agree minaa, even when I try to do something simple like a French plait, the tail stubs my neck in a really awkward way when I move my head around. Or if I try to make it stick away it looks really weird. That reminds me I must find the iii hairstyles thread to try to find something new to try. Oh well, guess I'll just have to keep on growing my hair forever!

I suppose there is a difference in what each person considers long on somebody else, and themselves.

SThr
November 5th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Extra short - buzz cut to neck
Short - neck to shoulder
Medium - Shoulder to MBL
'Long' - MBL to hip
Actually long - Hip+

There's a difference between what I think is long on me and what I think is long on others, it might have something to do with seeing others' hair down but rarely seeing my own from behind. I'm at TBL and have only recently felt like mine is getting long. I also tell people that I think MBL is the start of long so I don't have to deal with people moaning "but myyy waist length hair is sooo loooong!" when I don't really think that's long at all.

tokugawa.miyako
November 5th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I consider anything longer than bsl long on someone I see out and about. Though I'm waist now I personally don't feel long though once I reach hip that may change.

It's so weird, I'm basically at waist now and I thought it would feel long at this point... it doesn't really yet. Maybe it won't feel long until I start sitting on it. :whistle:

Mellenoire
November 6th, 2014, 02:14 AM
I consider BSL and longer to be "long" on other people. Having said that though, on me personally, even APL feels long!

fiðrildi
November 6th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Hip is starting to look long, for me. I used to think like tokugawa.miyako, that waist length could be considered "long hair", but I'm almost at waist now and my hair doesn't feel long at all yet.

MadPirateBippy
November 6th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I am a severe hair anorexic and thought my hair was too short at classic. I did consider it long on other people, just not me. So long hair is anyone who has at least 6 inches on me at any given time, or even a lot shorter than mine, but thicker or with the sort of blunt hemline I adore, but with my super fine hair am unlikely to ever get.

jacqueline101
November 6th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I think when you reach waist you're on your way to long hair.

Johannah
November 6th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Hip length is getting long for me, but BCL is the real-deal ;)

grimsqueaker
November 6th, 2014, 04:47 PM
On other people, anything longer than BSL. On myself, I'd say around hip.

rowie
November 6th, 2014, 05:00 PM
For me it's classic length or fingertip length. Any length that is not commonly seen out in public I guess for me would qualify as a "true long hair."

Islandgrrl
November 6th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I think in the "real world," waist length is long. In LHC-land it's probably longer than that...somewhere between hip and classic maybe? I ran into a woman at the market the other day who had gorgeous hair that was about classic length. It looked so long! For a moment I caught myself thinking how awesome it would be to have hair as long as hers. It was a definite derp moment for me. Because I never see my own hair, I don't realize how long it is.

Agnes Hannah
November 7th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I thought waist until I got there, now that feels short to me, so hip or tb I guess.

Katis
November 7th, 2014, 12:37 PM
For me, I think waist is the start of long hair.

Elizabeth E
May 16th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I also think waist is the start of long hair while classic is the start of the out-of-the-ordinary long territory. Or 'super' long, as non-LHC'ers tend to call it.

Dark40
May 16th, 2018, 11:29 AM
For me, I would say from MBL and beyond is long.

Dark40
May 16th, 2018, 11:33 AM
I'll consider it "long" on other people once they reach past BSL, for me, I didn't feel like my hair was getting long until I was solid waist. :) I remember going in for a trim around BSL and the stylist thought my hair was SO LONG, and couldn't understand why I would want to grow it out any longer. Thankfully, she did exactly as I asked, bemused though she was.

Yeah, I know whatcha mean on that note. That's why I hate going to hair stylists for trims. I trim my own hair. Because, I always know the exact amount of hair I want to trim off. Now, I know everybody doesn't know how to trim their own hair but once you get the hang of it....it get's pretty easy. I think your hair stylist thought your hair was SO LONG, and couldn't understand why you would want to grow it out any longer is because these days hair stylists are always trying to follow the latest trends. Which is, "short hair," and I always say, "Everybody may not always want to follow the latest trends in, "short hair." I'm a, "longhairlover." Not a, "shorthairlover." :D

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Waist without layers, for me. Actually, "that your hair would totally covered your boobs" is the start of long hair for me :lol:

ravenskey
May 16th, 2018, 12:25 PM
On others MBL is everyday long, while CL is where it becomes "super" long.

On myself - I still have no idea, being only 5ft means that I'm severely cheated on length :(

nycelle
May 16th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Waist without layers, for me. Actually, it'd be "that your hair would totally cover your boobs" is the start of long hair :lol:

Lol.. if my boobs were smaller, my hair would cover them.. haha

C_Bookworm
May 16th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Not really an official length, but when the tips of my hair brush the back of my elbows when it’s down, it feels long to me.

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Not really an official length, but when the tips of my hair brush the back of my elbows when it’s down, it feels long to me.

I strongly agree! :agree::agree::agree:

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 02:45 PM

That's where enter body proportions :lol: Some girls are luckier, I don't have little boobies either so it took a while to cover them for good!

zashin66
May 16th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Took me forever to 'cover' mine. Lol

Dark40
May 16th, 2018, 04:36 PM
That's where enter body proportions :lol: Some girls are luckier, I don't have little boobies either so it took a while to cover them for good!

Lol....me neither. I have big boobs too! And, it is taking me a long time to cover them completely.:)

nycelle
May 16th, 2018, 04:53 PM

Took me forever to 'cover' mine. Lol

Lol....me neither. I have big boobs too! And, it is taking me a long time to cover them completely.:)

Oh man, I'm gonna reach BCL before my boobs are covered. My hair is shorter in the front so that doesn't help... :(

Dark40
May 16th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Oh man, I'm gonna reach BCL before my boobs are covered. My hair is shorter in the front so that doesn't help... :(

Yeah, me too! I know whatcha mean. I also believe that I will reach BCL before my boobs are covered too. I have bangs in the front too. I love my bangs, and I'm not planning on getting rid of them either. i dislike all one length hair...:(

blushy
May 16th, 2018, 06:06 PM
wow! I'm surprised there are so many people who only consider hair to be "long" after it reaches waist+...to me anything BSL+ is long but maybe that's because most girls at my college campus have SL-BSL hair so I don't see really long hair that often!

Kaoria
May 16th, 2018, 06:09 PM
I like this boob covering standard - very much à la Brooke Shields in the Blue Lagoon. My problem is I used to think I had long hair at almost waist level - and then I started to lurk on this forum and now I’m like “my hair is so short!” But I’m going with waist level as a minimum for hair to be considered ‘long’.

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 06:17 PM
On a shorter person, waist. On a taller person, hip.
Everything before, to me, is medium or short. I've always seen long hair this way, even before TLHC :o

Zesty
May 16th, 2018, 07:01 PM
My perception is that BSL is considered long to muggles, so that's usually how I treat it when talking to the uninitiated. But secretly I think hip is when it starts to be properly long. And I don't think it's "very long" until classic, though again, I will describe my hair as "very long" to most people.

AngelAki
May 16th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I'm say about mid back or waist

waff
May 16th, 2018, 08:01 PM
I agree with the boobs covering point lol I think anything after mid thigh would be too long lol not that I ever reached that length *a girl can dream*

trolleypup
May 16th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Long? Past BSL/MBL, lots and lots of that here.
Very Long? TBL or longer
Wow? Past Knee...or really, longer than mine.[1]

Almost caused me to have a vehicle accident? HHL (High Heel Length)

Milady_DeWinter
May 17th, 2018, 02:38 AM
My perception is that BSL is considered long to muggles, so that's usually how I treat it when talking to the uninitiated. But secretly I think hip is when it starts to be properly long. And I don't think it's "very long" until classic, though again, I will describe my hair as "very long" to most people.

I just LOL at "muggles" XD You are so right!

Soulina
May 17th, 2018, 03:38 AM
Always one "step" longer than mine :D When I was at bsl waist felt long, now that I am at hip TBL seems long. My hair just never feels long :wail:

lottiealice
May 17th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Technically/mainstream 'long' is from BSL.
Actually long is (IMO) from hip.

Long for me? Probably knee as that's my goal.