PDA

View Full Version : For those with tb length

MissPetite2010
November 4th, 2014, 08:39 PM
I've heard or read somewhere that it's hard to keep up with tb length hair. Is this true? Or a myth? I didn't know if it's harder than waist, vice/versa. Anyway, I should be at my goal length of waist soon in a couple of months, and debating on tb, and was wondering how much upkeep it would be, or if it's fairly the same as waist length. Thanks in advance and happy growing! :)

Madora
November 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM
I don't quite know what you mean by "it's hard to keep up with tb length hair". Why would it be hard?

If you mean, would it be more difficult to maintain tb length hair (as opposed to shorter length) then that depends on how handy you are with your hair already. Are you good at hair styling of various sorts? Does that sort of thing interest you? You will definitely need to be more careful and detangle more gently with hair of tb length...that's half the battle right there! Also, how do you feel about additional time for shampooing/conditioning/air drying?

There's a bit of a learning curve, but I found it pretty easy going when I hit tailbone length! Good luck!

Macaroni
November 4th, 2014, 10:03 PM
There's no difference to me.

Marbid
November 4th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Its not a hard keep up.. I dont have tailbone length but have had it once before.. I cant say it was any different than waist length other than the being more carefull when having it down..

Its all in your head in the end. What you are willing to put up with, your experience, and how much you enjoy it. It different for every one. Some people find tb length easier to keep up with than waist lenght.. What with updoos being easier and longer hair staying in olace better than shorter hair.. For example, my little sister has near classic length hair and she hated, absolutely hated her hair when it was bra strap length... Lol.. She says she would rather be bald than have hair shorter than hip length.

MissPetite2010
November 4th, 2014, 10:25 PM
thanks for the advice. I usually have my hair up anyway, with different hairstyles for work, occasionally I have it down. Guess I'll just wait until I reach goal length and decide from there to keep it at waist or grow longer. I'll keep ya posted on the hair journey. thanks again. :)

StellaKatherine
November 4th, 2014, 10:42 PM
TB length here. Not hard for me. Maybe waist and hip was easier for keeping hair down and I wear mostly buns now that I am at TB :)

ghost
November 4th, 2014, 11:02 PM
The only real difficulty that I've noticed is that sometimes it gets stuck in my jeans when I'm getting dressed if I don't move it out of the way, but that's about it.

MissPetite2010
November 4th, 2014, 11:03 PM
One time the car door closed on my hair, thank goodness it was okay! A lil scary! Yikes!!

LadyCelestina
November 4th, 2014, 11:32 PM
^hehe,totally off topic,but just yesterday I got my hair stuck in dogs mouth while playing what I am assuming is called tug-o-war ...totally scary :lol: especially since it's not my dog and he's not really familiar with the concept of 'put it down!'.

lapushka
November 5th, 2014, 08:25 AM
It's actually (apart from washing it weekly) easier than waist. It goes into updos (speaking as a iii) much nicer. I love it. My hair is layered, though. Normally, unlayered, even waist is difficult for me. It's just the bulk of the hair. :)

MINAKO
November 5th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I'm almost reaching classic and can't really say its any more difficut to handle than waistlength, exept when it comes to wearing it down during the day, i have to be more careful then. Maybe detangling is an additional minute but apart from that i don't see any serious issues on my own hair regarding that question.

Amapola
November 5th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I found it easier, myself. It was easier to put up, I could do many more styles which kept it interesting, and suddenly hair toys that had been too big fit perfectly. I had been concerned about detangling, but since hair grows fairly gradually, I just sort of kept learning how to handle it the longer it got. I now have unconscious and automatic techniques for handling it when it's down, a routine for detangling and a routine for putting it up at night. I don't have to think about it any more.

Now I'm at classic and although originally I had thought fingertip to be absolutely as long as I would go period end of story, I am actually considering knee. It may be that at some point along the way I'll decide it's too hard or too much trouble, but so far, the longer it has gotten the easier it has been to deal with.

thunderlilies
November 5th, 2014, 10:03 AM
The difference between waist and tailbone for me is at tailbone I have to be more conscious of where my hair is if it's down.. people will sit on it, it'll get stuck in doors, belts, purse straps, and other things more readily. When I was at waist I could leave it down more often and it wouldn't get in the way. At tailbone I wear it up most of the time. It takes a little longer to brush, yes. It's just as easy to put up, though.

CurlyCap
November 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I think it's a lot harder at TB. It's the same routine, but there's just more hair. So more time detangling, washing, adding product, and drying. Also, it gets into EVERYTHING when down and tangles in curly hair are nothing to sneeze at.

It's a lot of work, but it's work that I currently enjoy doing. But I totally understand why people with my hair type and curlier choose to maintain at waist or hip.

lunalocks
November 5th, 2014, 10:22 AM
At TB my hair did start to get into things - like underwear and tights and sleeves and being sat on by DH - but only if it was down. I keep it up most of the time. I never have real trouble with tangles because it is always up.

melusine963
November 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Waist and tailbone were no different for me. Washing and drying times stayed the same. Detangling took maybe 20 seconds longer, but that's hardly an inconvenience.

lapushka
November 6th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Just a little more length requiring a little more conditioner and styling product, that's mostly it. :shrug: :lol:

MsBubbles
November 6th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I don't wear my hair down much at TB length (I'm currently at hip, I think, due to a trim) because my hair is straight, flat, fine and seriously tangly. It doesn't have any body to it at all, so it sticks to everything and gets knotted and caught all over the place. It's like being wrapped up in spiderwebs. I don't have this problem at WL, and can wear it down without much problem.

SThr
November 6th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I'm having a bit more trouble brushing my hair at TBL than I did at BSL, but it's not terrible. It helps me a lot to part my hair down the center then cross the hair across the back of my neck. I can more easily handle that length, it's easier to separate when detangling and I can easily pull the hair through the comb rather than just pulling the comb through the hair. I have to wonder how difficult it will be at wrist->finger length though.

Robot Ninja
November 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM
I don't find it that much harder to manage, even at classic. I have to make sure I don't catch it in my pants or sit on it, but that's about it. If you want to go for TB, go for it. If you find it too much of a hassle you can always cut it.

MadPirateBippy
November 6th, 2014, 08:44 PM
My hair is prone to getting crispy, brittle ends so I had more tangles in the length at that point, and needed to do more/ more intense deep conditioning treatments, but other than that it wasn't any more difficult to deal with. I should have done more conditioning treatments anyway.

Anje
November 6th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Easy enough for me, and I've had it at tailbone for years. Only hangup is that as the thickness has moved down the length a bit, it's starting to get hard to wear both buns and hats at the same time. There's just not enough nape-space anymore!

I do now get the annoying tickling of a braid end if my shirt rides up a bit..... XD

Nymphea
November 6th, 2014, 10:59 PM
As someone who is constantly going forth and back from hip to TB for a couple of years now, I can say that for me TB length is a LOT more harder to manage than waist or even hip - but that's just because I love to wear my hair down so much. At waist or hip it's no problem, but at TB it catches into everything - chairs, skirts, bags, so its ends are a lot more prone to tangling, and when I try to tie my shoes or something it drags on the floor - aargh! It just don't happen with waist length. Also, my hair has a lot more of movement and waves at waist/hip than TBL and I enjoy it more. That's why I always end cutting it back to waist or hip even if I want to grow to classic. And yes, it feels a lot lighter at waist than at TBL.

On the other hand, at TBL updos are much more easier and enjoyable, and it also looks beautiful (for me it's more impressive than waist or hip), so I'm just trying to stick with the updos so I can pass through TBL to classic - ah, one day, perhaps. :o