PDA

View Full Version : Which one is worse?

spamlover
September 26th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I have kind of wavy hair and I like to wear it down. If I just wash and go it ends up looking kind of sloppy and poofy. Usually I end up blow drying or using a flat iron (with some good leave-in products of course) everyday. I've been contemplating getting my hair chemically straightened. Which one do you think is more damaging...heat styling everyday or getting the chemical relaxer once?

ladyshannonanne
September 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I used to always shower in the morning, which meant that if I wanted my hair to look decent, I had to heat style it or wear it up. I usually took the heat styling route.

Now I shower at night right before bed. When I wake up, my hair is dry and quite a bit more presentable than I thought it would be. Maybe give that a try before resorting to chemical straightening. You could also try braiding your wet hair to give it waves or tying it up in a bun to give it loose waves all the way to the ends.

Nevermore
September 26th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Both will damage your hair, possibly beyond saving, it's just a matter of how fast. Chemical straightening will likely trash it all at once, while heat styling will damage it slowly. Blow drying on a cool setting is much less damaging than flat ironing or chemical straightening.

Have you tried oiling your ends? That would reduce the poof some and updos can hide it entirely.

How long is your hair? It's hard to suggest things without knowing that and your hair type.

ChatoyantLocks
September 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I think both methods are very damaging. If you have been using blow driers and flat irons a lot, that is probably causing a lot of the difficulties you have been having with styling it. I'm not sure what your hair type or your current length are, so I'm not quite sure what to suggest, but you could try coconut oil. You just put a little bit on your hair from the ears down while your hair is still wet, and let it air dry. My hair likes it a lot!

Katze
September 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
As the owner of ' sloppy and poofy' hair myself I feel your pain, but I don't think either option is a solution. Why? If you add damage, you will get more poofiness, thus having to do more damage to make it look good, etc. Kind of a vicious cycle, as ChatoyantLocks already mentioned.

Without knowing your hair type and length, it's a bit hard for us to give you hair-friendly suggestions, but I will tell you what works for my fine, wavy, mid-back hair:

Not brushing - brushing makes my waves into poofy bumps, with the crown hair flat.

Aloe vera *gel* as hair gel - it's less damaging (less alcohol and other nasties)

More moisture on my hair in general. Leave-in conditioner and misting work the best for me, but many people here love oiling.

Not touching it while it's drying (to get natural waves) OR piling it on a towel on top of my head and letting it dry like that - aka 'plopping' - OR waiting until my hair is MOSTLY dry, then *gently* , and on *low* heat, blowdrying the roots to get more smoothness and control.

These are just a few of the tips that help me deal with my very messy wavy hair. Depending on your hair type and length, they might work for you or not, but this site is FULL of tips for such things so stick around and see what you find.

peace

Katze

kittymomma
September 26th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Oh my goodness...one thing about my fine, thin hair that I'm grateful for is that it's wavy. More so when it's shorter, of course, but so...if I blowfry it it just sticks to my scalp. Having been a former perm victim, I'd never recommend chemical alterations. I try to use light as possible fixatives on my hair...up or down...but none at all just results in major disaster!

spamlover
September 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I am asian so I have fairly coarse hair that goes to the middle of my back with waves only in the the underlayers but the top layers are pretty straight. I can't leave it down without styling b/c then it just looks strange. :)

Ladyshan...I do the bun thing and it works pretty well...I'm gonna try and use that trick more often!

nisolu
September 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
What kind of oils do you use? I've been using coconut oil, Any other suggestions?

bunnii
September 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I find EVOO best for my hair to smooth and catch flyaways. Use about the same amount as you would coconut oil to avoid going over greasy :D

Spamlover - Do you deep condition regularly? If I don't for a while I get puffed up hair

spidermom
September 29th, 2008, 10:25 AM
If you must choose one of those options, go with the heat styling. If you use a good product and do it very fast on the lowest heat that works, your coarse hair will probably take the abuse and be all right. Chemical straightening for a slight wave would be kind of like killing flies with a cannon.