PDA

View Full Version : Strengthening Hair?

ChloeDharma
November 4th, 2014, 01:47 PM
What do you do/use to strengthen your hair strands? Having fine hair mine is very prone to breakage. I am now keeping it oiled and in a contained style but still would like hair that doesn't snap so easily.

I'm thinking many fine haired people will share this problem so it would be great to hear what (if anything) has helped with this. Henna has helped somewhat but my hair still breaks easily even after using henna.

Aurum
November 4th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure about the product side of things, but in general it's good to just be gentle with it. That means avoiding elastics (and god forbid, rubber bands), not brushing wet, gently detangling, etc. I'm sure you know most of that already. Also, staying away from heat and chemicals would at least keep hair from getting more fragile than it already is.

Angels+Eyeliner
November 4th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I've been using Herbal Essences Bee Strong product range lately (mostly because it smells divine than for breakage problems) and I've noticed a difference with that. I don't know if that's got cones or if that's a problem to you (I'm new to this) but that's my input.

Also, maybe look at your diet and routine, and seeing where you might be doing something wrong. If you always break around ponytail line, that's a clear sign your elastics are bad for you.

swearnsue
November 4th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I've been dealing with breakage at about 24 inches. I've gotten to 25 inches now and this is what I've been doing differently to prevent breakage.

1. I don't brush my hair everyday. I comb gently with a wide tooth comb instead.
2. I started spraying my hair with a detangle spray even though I don't feel like I need it. I do.
3. I have been using Pantene Overnight Miracle serum on my ends every night.

So far I've reached my longest length and the proof that these things work is if I can make it past the 25 inch mark! I will celebrate if/when that happens.

Good luck.

Madora
November 4th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure about the product side of things, but in general it's good to just be gentle with it. That means avoiding elastics (and god forbid, rubber bands), not brushing wet, gently detangling, etc. I'm sure you know most of that already. Also, staying away from heat and chemicals would at least keep hair from getting more fragile than it already is.

^^^^ This is golden! I would go further and say that fineys have to be EXTRA careful and gentle with their delicate strands. That means taking the time to detangle with a wide tooth comb, in SMALL, THIN sections. The more carefully you handle your detangling, the better your hair will be for it. Of course eating properly and avoiding all unfriendly hair things is also a good idea if you want to grow long.

ChloeDharma
November 4th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I was thinking coney products would be suggested, understandably as when I was growing out chemical damage they allowed me to grow it out rather than have a big chop. The only problem is I am fairly much all natural these days though even when I was using cones in more recent times they didn't seem to help much with strengthening the hair. The handling advice is excellent and pretty much what I do now, though I was not so strict over the last few years with my hair and let it get quite abused mechanically so I know I have to grow that out but still am aware that my hair grows fine and delicate even when it was well cared for.
I use a wide tooth smooth wooden comb for detangling, or my fingers and usually let my hair be mostly dry before doing that. The bonus of my kind of hair is it's not very prone to tangles particularly when I take care of it so I never hear breakage of feel resistance when combing but I still start low down and work in sections. I have two main brushes that I use, the first is a smooth bamboo/wooden one that glides through the hair and allows me to really massage my scalp, the other is a BBB which of course I'm careful with but again never gives me snapping sounds. I do have a horn comb but I've not used it much and kind of forget about it but when I have used it it went through the hair very easily.
I usually just keep my hair in a scrunchy bun, quite a soft scrunchy or sometimes material hair ties for a ponytail though that's just at home these days as my hair can't cope with flapping about outside particularly in the winter with the cold, wind, sudden changes in temperature when I go indoors etc. In fact doing that is partly what has wrecked my length.
I'm going to dig out my hair forks and sticks and get back into those though I think.

What I'm really hoping to come across is maybe that herb rinses with silica in ie horsetail or some other rinse, treatment etc will add strength to the strands as even though I'm now being gentle it would still be nice to have hair that doesn't snap with very little force used. That said I know the oiling helps and I'm fine with keeping my hair oiled and in contained styles as that's how I prefer my hair anyway with the whispy hairline hairs stuck down.

lapushka
November 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM
My hair, though F, is quite strong and since I have no white dots, or splits, it doesn't break. I don't get how it can break if you have no weak spots in the hair. ???

swearnsue
November 4th, 2014, 04:20 PM
For natural remedies, castor oil on the scalp will make your hair a bit darker and coarser. If used on eyebrows it will make them thicker too.

BUT it takes rough handling and strong shampoo to get the darn castor oil out of your hair.

Using a protein conditioner once a month or as needed might help too. Be careful that you don't use it too often or our delicate hair snaps off.

ChloeDharma
November 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM
My hair, though F, is quite strong and since I have no white dots, or splits, it doesn't break. I don't get how it can break if you have no weak spots in the hair. ???

Well I get shed hairs and put them between my fingers using both hands. I pull them apart to see how much the hair stretches then to see how easily it snaps. This is a test for elasticity. Mine does not take long to snap and I don't have to pull very hard. I don't have white dots or many split ends, in fact the last time I was able to find split ends for S&D sessions was when I was growing out chemical damage but since then I don't really find them. It's just the strand itself is not very strong. Does that make more sense?

ChloeDharma
November 4th, 2014, 04:44 PM
For natural remedies, castor oil on the scalp will make your hair a bit darker and coarser. If used on eyebrows it will make them thicker too.

BUT it takes rough handling and strong shampoo to get the darn castor oil out of your hair.

Using a protein conditioner once a month or as needed might help too. Be careful that you don't use it too often or our delicate hair snaps off.

I love castor oil but always found it annoying mixing it up as it's too sticky to use by itself except if you just apply it to the hair line. I just recently got an oil blend that has sesame, coconut and castor oil in. My hair loves these oils so I'm hoping that the castor combined with the herbs like bhringraj will increase thickness. I'm also starting to use methi packs again, I think they contain protein. Thank you all for replying :)

battles
November 4th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Well I get shed hairs and put them between my fingers using both hands. I pull them apart to see how much the hair stretches then to see how easily it snaps. This is a test for elasticity. Mine does not take long to snap and I don't have to pull very hard. I don't have white dots or many split ends, in fact the last time I was able to find split ends for S&D sessions was when I was growing out chemical damage but since then I don't really find them. It's just the strand itself is not very strong. Does that make more sense?

Mine is also low elasticity, but doesn't appear damaged. It just tends to snap if if I'm not *very* careful with what I'm doing.

Protein treatments have been most beneficial for my hair so far. I actually try to do them every week or two and it hasn't been an issue. I try to do a pre-poo with oil, for at least a few hours. I only use a tangle teezer if I'm brushing dry, and I use a wide tooth comb when slathered with conditioner in the shower.

lapushka
November 4th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Do you use protein by any chance? Maybe check the ingredients of your conditioner/shampoo?

hanne jensen
November 5th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Bookmarking this thread as I have the same problem.

ChloeDharma
November 5th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Do you use protein by any chance? Maybe check the ingredients of your conditioner/shampoo?

I don't think I have been though I will double check the conditioner I was using. I know the shampoo has no protein as it's only aloe vera gel, shikakai, reetha and soapwort with rosemary and nettle root. I have just started using methi packs as conditioner but now you mention it I remember my hair loved yogurt treatments.
My hair is naturally not very strong but it would be nice to find a way to add some strength to it though I know I will always have to be more careful than most people. Maybe weekly henna glosses in yogurt would be a good idea to add some strength.

Catatafish
November 5th, 2014, 06:41 AM
It sounds like your hair needs moisture to get more elasticity. That way it won't be as brittle, and won't snap as easily. It can take a bit of trial and error to find the right balance for your hair type. You should have a look at the ingredients in all of the products that you use and see if they contain protein. If they do, switch to products containing moisturising ingredients and see if that makes things improve. You could do a SMT to kick things off.

lapushka
November 5th, 2014, 08:08 AM
It sounds like your hair needs moisture to get more elasticity. That way it won't be as brittle, and won't snap as easily. It can take a bit of trial and error to find the right balance for your hair type. You should have a look at the ingredients in all of the products that you use and see if they contain protein. If they do, switch to products containing moisturising ingredients and see if that makes things improve. You could do a SMT to kick things off.

Yes this. I didn't mean *add* protein, I meant taking it away if you're using it. Brittle hair can be a sign of too much protein.

maborosi
November 5th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I have F/M hair- I keep it well moisturized (that's typically what it needs), I do deep conditioning treatments often, and I do weekly henna/cassia applications on the roots. Twice a month I do a full-head cassia treatment. I've found that it gives my hair a lot of strength and shine.

Catatafish
November 5th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Sorry lapuska, I can be quite dozy. I didn't mean to repeat what you said. I saw that ChloeDharma wanted to try a yogurt treatment, which I suspect that people use to try to get protein in their hair, and wanted to emphasise the importance of getting enough moisture if your hair is brittle.

lunalocks
November 5th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Protection. No more scrunchies or braids (with even a soft covered elastic in the tail) for me. it is up 99% of the time.

Instead of conditioner I use catnip tea as a soak and then a leave in. This has really strengthened my hairs and prevented splits. also generic baby oil to the damp ends and also on the ends and part of length every night before bunning. Since doing all of the above and no trims, just s and d, I grew 7 inches in a year after stalling at 36 inches for a year due to breakage and need for trims.

lapushka
November 5th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Sorry lapuska, I can be quite dozy. I didn't mean to repeat what you said. I saw that ChloeDharma wanted to try a yogurt treatment, which I suspect that people use to try to get protein in their hair, and wanted to emphasise the importance of getting enough moisture if your hair is brittle.

Oh no, not at all. It wasn't quite clear what I said earlier, so totally understandable! :)

MINAKO
November 5th, 2014, 01:06 PM

I have a good amount of fine hair in the mix too, also no dots or splits whatsoever. I recently did a snap test, holding each hair at the very two ends and then pull. It always snaps pretty close to the root area, never the length or ends. So i suppose its possible to strengthen hair with the use of product, in my case tht would be mainly keratin treatment, but i would basically slap anyhing on that contains silk-, wheat-, soy protein or collagen. If my hair becomes to soft i feel like it also tangles much easier, so i try to avoid that.