PDA

View Full Version : Belated 1st LHC-iversary! [pic heavy]

TrapperCreekD
November 4th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Finding LHC is the best thing that has ever happened to my hair!

Before joining LHC I never really paid that much attention to my hair. It was just kind of there, you know? It'd always been long-ish, probably around hip+ at the longest and crumbling back to somewhere in the vicinity of waist length at the shortest. All I knew was that I didn't want it short, despite not knowing how to care for it. A future long hair at heart!

Looking back at my past hair practices, I'm surprised my hair managed to stay as long as it did without just throwing in the towel and breaking off horribly. While no dye or heat tools (blowdrying took forever, so why bother?) had ever touched my hair, my routine was a nightmare. No wonder my hair was a disaster! Once a week I'd glob on way too much clarifying(!) sulphate shampoo followed by a tiny amount of thin conditioner, most of which barely reached my ends. Everyday I'd rip a ball tip brush through the length until poofed up into a huge angry monster that I either put in an english braid or a ponytail cinnablob, the only two styles I knew. Every six months or so Mom would trim a couple inches to even up the ends thus eliminating what growth I managed to retain.

Last summer after becoming increasingly frustrated with my split-riddled frizzball that “never grew”, I turned to the internet for help and stumbled onto LHC.

Loves/things that work for me:

updos
hairtoys!
Overnight pre-poo with EVOO
LOC
Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream (HG product, turns my hair to silk!)
Flaxseed gel
plopping
no brushing, just combing or finger combing
coffee rinses
self trimming
sleep braiding
semi benign neglect
modified cones
refreshing midweek with diluted conditioner and sealing with FSCC.

I also played around with sulfate-free, shampoo bars, CWC, and WCC. Sulfate-free was a success but kinda pricey when oil+sulfates works just as well. Shampoo bars were also a hit, but more complicated. Suds on the whole length equaled icky coated hair, but suds on scalp + conditioner coated length = nice hair. CWC is great for the times I forget or don't have time to let oil sit for several hours, and WCC is awesome when I need a little more oomph in the conditioning department.

While I've almost completely overhauled my routine and am generally super nice to my hair, I did indulge in one damaging thing. The unfortunate freehand FFL incident left the canopy thinned more than I anticipated and revealed that my hair likes to grow faster on the left side. I evened up the ends in November but by February I noticed my hem was terribly asymmetrical. I wasn't a fan, to say the least! By then I'd joined the no trims for 2014 challenge and TBL, my goal, seemed feasible by the end of the year so I didn't want to lose any precious length. Since my hair is in a braid or updo of some most of the time, the lovely ladies of the no trimming thread convinced me to stay the course and not give in to the scissors. I needed something extra to keep from obsessing so I lightened the bottom few inches with a little household peroxide/conditioner mix. The hair was already damaged and I'd be trimming it off in a few months anyway, so what could it hurt, right? It turned out exactly how I wanted, and was way less damaging than I was expecting!

Enough blathering, I promised pictures!

http://i.imgur.com/V1HuRnK.png
I didn't quite believe the numbers at first, but measuring my length shot shirt confirms that it is, indeed, correct!

http://i.imgur.com/C0G0jqw.png
(the second picture isn't quite accurate as my mom took the photo, and the angle is off.)

http://i.imgur.com/NimZzVi.png http://i.imgur.com/zXtYHQx.png
Meh to yeah, I'd wear that out.

http://i.imgur.com/2pbrEIx.png

From the official one-year photoshoot: :cloud9:

http://i.imgur.com/MCBRAI7.png

Looking ahead to 2015, I plan to finally even up my hemline and maintain for a while to get rid some the mechanical damage. LHC has clearly been at work: my original goal was hip, which slipped tailbone, and now after seeing how close to Classic I am, I'm starting to think Classic stretched will be the ticket to the "perfect" unstetched length...

Here's to many more LHC-iversaries to come! :toast:

gthlvrmx
November 4th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Congratulations! You have some awesome hair length right there! I love it!

Aurum
November 4th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Wow, what a transformation! I've loved your beautiful curl pattern since the first day I saw it; I'm so glad you were able to bring it out of hiding. Congrats on your anniversary, and here's to many more years of wonderful hair. :o

diddiedaisy
November 4th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Congrats you have gorgeous hair :)

Hootenanny
November 4th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Gorgeous, gorgeous hair, TrapperCreekD! And congratulations on your hair-iversary!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 4th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Congrats to your lovely hair and great growth too! Stunning curls :)

eva888
November 4th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Yay!! What a nice journey to read about. Congratulations :cheer: ! I've admired your hair so much ever since I joined LHC last spring.

lapushka
November 4th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Oh boy, that's a lot of difference in just a year! I love your wurls, BTW! Well done, congrats. :D

Begemot
November 4th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Your hair grew so much in a year and looks great! I especially love your ends in the last pic :)

Crumpet
November 4th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I love these posts! Your hair looked great before but amazing now. Beautiful curls, colour, everything. Congrats!

muddblood21
November 4th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Great progress! I need to do more length pics for motivation...yours are gorgeous and so motivating! Happy Growing! :toast:

fiğrildi
November 4th, 2014, 03:02 PM
So beautiful! That's such an amazing progress, those first two pictures together are stunning... congratulations, TrapperCreekD! :D

Laura_F
November 4th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Beautiful hair! You've made excellent progress. :)

DancingQueen
November 4th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Wow, that is amazing in a year! Way to go, girl! :)

purplevickie
November 4th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Wow, your hair looks so much improved! Beautiful, and I wouldn't notice the uneven hemline at all.

Ingrid
November 5th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Your hair looks so beautiful! Congratulations :) Lovely texture, looks great down and in a bun too :D

katelinn
November 5th, 2014, 02:17 AM
Wow, love your hair, amazing growth in a year. I have been a member for a year last month too, and I am inspired to find before and now pics of myself now. Thankyou!!

jacqueline101
November 5th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Your has really transformed and grew a lot. Happy anniversary.

hanne jensen
November 5th, 2014, 02:45 AM
Your hair is beautiful. It's in so much better condition. Happy Growing!

Tini'sNewHair
November 5th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Wow your hair looks so stunning now, I love your length , it works so well for your hair and the quality is amazing!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! 1 year later and I couldnt tell that the before and after pictures are from the same person :D

embee
November 5th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Your hair looks lovely, and I really like that updo - so sophisticated and elegant. :) LHC is good for updo learning.

Wildcat Diva
November 5th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Wow! It's curly, and it shows a ton of growth in just one year. What wizardry is this!?!

bte
November 5th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Fantastic progress and wonderful curls! You will look even better at Classic!

Chocowalnut
November 5th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Beautiful hair! :) Great job

melusine963
November 5th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Wow, seven inches in a year! I'm envious of your growth rate. Your hair looks great.

arelrios
November 5th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I personally love the yeah pic ... congratulations! :blossom:

ZeppHead
November 5th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Lovely story and beautiful hair! Im waist now and I hope to gain as much growth as you did within the next year! Congrats!! :)

nakima
November 8th, 2014, 06:01 PM
wow 7 inches congratulations! very pretty!

TrapperCreekD
November 8th, 2014, 06:15 PM
*blush* :bow: Thank so much!

mary*rose
November 8th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Oh, wow, you can really see the difference in that first picture! Fantastic work!

LauraLongLocks
November 8th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I am so envious of your fast growth. Love your wurls and waves. Congratulations on your belated one year anniversary.

schnibbles
November 9th, 2014, 10:49 AM
How did I miss this thread? Trapper, your hair texture is insanely gorge. Awesome growth too! Keep it up :D