PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Future Growth: To Cut or Not?

Puffer Fish
November 1st, 2014, 02:23 PM
Today I've realized that my inverted bob (shorter in back than in front) may not the best hairstyle for growing into a longhair, but I'm apprehensive about getting it cut into a regular bob (longer in back than in front) because cutting hair doesn't exactly help it grow longer. Right now I think in order to get the transition from short->long right my front ends would have to be near chin length again. :-(
However, I'm also planning on no-trim 2015, so I could get it done in December and then let it grow, grow, grow through 2015. But shorter fronts means harder up-dos until the fronts get to a usable length again.

Or, I could just leave it alone and worry about it once it's longer, though I'm worried that in the meantime inverted V hemline will look kind of strange.

tl;dr I'm indecisive and silly, should I cut my hair in planning for how it will look in the future or just leave it alone?

Beckstar
November 1st, 2014, 02:26 PM
I vote put it up and leave it alone. only trim if you have damage. You can always trim it later to even it out.

Becs
November 1st, 2014, 02:43 PM
When I first started growing my hair out (I had a pixie) I was also unwilling to lose any of the precious length I had gained. However, i decided that when my shortest layer reached collarbone I would cut all my hair to that length so it would be even. And that was probably one of the best choices I ever made in my hair growth journey. It was sooo much easier and better looking once I had all my hair the same length and I did not regret it at all.(I hated having layers.) So I would recommend maybe waiting until it's a bit longer and then cutting it to even it out.

skeletonous
November 1st, 2014, 03:35 PM
I've grown one out without cutting it before (as far as I remember) and it turned out alright. I would just let it grow and even it out later. :)

spidermom
November 1st, 2014, 03:50 PM
I would leave my options for 2015 open and let my hair grow for now.

lapushka
November 1st, 2014, 05:11 PM
I'd either get it evened out in December, then go for the no-trimming challenge in 2015 full-on, or just let it grow and join the challenge nonetheless (no cutting it at all). It's up to you to decide. :)

Avis
November 1st, 2014, 07:31 PM
Personally I wouldn't cut. I'd just let it do its thing and worry about cleaning up the hemline later. That being said though, I told myself that when I reached BSL, I'd maintain there for a while to slowly get rid of layers. Here I am, 2" past BSL and unable to do more that an occasional light dusting. I keep telling myself I'll get rid of the layers with the next body marker, but I never do. I can't stand the idea of losing any length even if it's not really noticeable by anyone but me. So if you think you might feel like that, maybe you should cut now before you gain length you'll eventually have to cut.

Dickiebow
November 1st, 2014, 07:35 PM
I'd leave it. The front is sometimes slower to grow, so the back may catch up naturally.

Puffer Fish
November 1st, 2014, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to take your advice and just leave it alone for now.

Lyv
November 2nd, 2014, 01:48 AM
I had an inverted stacked bob and didn't trim mine for almost 2 years and by the time I did it had evened up. The first pic in my sig is about 2 years and 4 months after the inverted bob. So I'd say just leave it.

Johannah
November 2nd, 2014, 06:44 AM
I'd just leave it alone. If you need to cut it in the future, you still can.

ZeppHead
November 2nd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Another vote to let it grow. I would even it out later as it got longer or once it got to a good length....it may grow gracefully who knows. I've gotten layers before and I never had to cut to even them out they eventually evened out enough on their own and to this day I have outgrown bangs at about armpit length and they all lay nicely so I leave them be and concentrate on health. Once layers aren't looking freshly cut and grow they don't look so obvious at least on me they haven't. Let it all grow and go from there if you feel you need to cut a little down the road go ahead.

bte
November 2nd, 2014, 01:00 PM
I agree with most of the others - leave it for now and do a trim later if you need to. Once it gets long enough to tie back, even quite a lot of unevenness won't show.

LauraLongLocks
November 2nd, 2014, 03:02 PM
My vote is to love your hair at every length, so if you need to cut to get a style you like while growing, do it. If you don't need to cut to be happy, then don't do it.

When I grew out my pixie, I cut back the mullet as I went. It took a lot of time to gain length, but I was happy with my hair. I never felt I had to hide it in an updo. I am still very particular on how my hair looks when it is down, even though I wear it up most of the time. That's why I'm microtrimming - because having a thick, even hemline is of paramount importance to me at my current length.

The take-home message here is to do what makes you love your hair. No one should feel self-conscious about their hair.