PDA

View Full Version : Heat damage repair?

raudr
October 31st, 2014, 09:28 PM
Has anyone had any success changing the texture of heat-scorched hair?

Sarahlabyrinth
October 31st, 2014, 09:32 PM
I would be surprised if this can be done, however, may wiser heads than I chime in and correct me if I am wrong. I think the best you can do is plenty of babying your hair - oiling, conditioning treatments, moisturising. Even then the damage is unrepairable except by cutting. The best you can do is try to disguise it as best you can.

gthlvrmx
October 31st, 2014, 10:35 PM
You can try oiling your hair, conditioning, and adding more moisture to your hair but i think damaged hair is damaged hair. The easy quick-fix is to cut it.

lapushka
November 1st, 2014, 08:19 AM
I would be surprised if this can be done, however, may wiser heads than I chime in and correct me if I am wrong. I think the best you can do is plenty of babying your hair - oiling, conditioning treatments, moisturising. Even then the damage is unrepairable except by cutting. The best you can do is try to disguise it as best you can.

This. ^^ Heat damage can't be saved. Your best bet is "masking" the damage the best you can with silicone-products and good conditioning treatments (plenty of that). Baby your hair, while you microtrim it.

kidari
November 1st, 2014, 09:09 AM
I have to agree with everyone so far on this one. I've had pretty much every combination of heat damaged hair and bleach damaged hair and damage from coloring... having all three is the worst but in the past year or so I've had bleached damage with no heat damage as well as damage from coloring too much with no heat damage. I have been able to get it almost back to *almost* the same condition by finding the right balance of moisture and protein treatments coupled with tons of more frequent microtrims and tweaks in haircare routine as well as products used. Bleach damage requires more cut off and you need to be really on top of the treatments and be more of an expert trouble shooter than plain coloring damage though. Unfortunately, heat damage is the worst. Just one use of it done incorrectly can be as catastrophic as burning off a chunk of your hair in the worst case scenario. All you can do is use really good styling procucts or leave-ins to help mask the damage done while laying off the heat as much as possible. Ironically, the more you heat style your hair the more you depend on it until the day comes when it's so damaged you have no choice but to cut it off.

GetMeToWaist
November 1st, 2014, 09:57 AM
Yeah you cant repair it. Only trim.

melusine963
November 1st, 2014, 10:15 AM
Yeah you cant repair it. Only trim.

I agree with this. When I discovered this site I had waist-length, heat damaged hair. No matter how much I babied it, it kept splitting for years until I'd grown out and trimmed off all the old, pre-LHC hair.

jacqueline101
November 1st, 2014, 11:06 AM
I don't know about heat damage but I did have damage from a perm. The only way to get rid of it is to trim it off. I did that along with moisture, oiling, and babying my hair. I wore up dos all the time and took extra great care of my hair. My hair did as others said broke off due to damaged hair and didn't become healthy until I got rid of the damage.

LadyCelestina
November 2nd, 2014, 01:58 AM
I wish!But nope.I have the sections in the front which I managed to burn with a flat iron or what( it didn't even straighten! ) and nothing helps for them.Silicones,oils,conditioner,everything makes them softer to touch but they still tangle and split something crazy.

kitcatsmeow
November 2nd, 2014, 05:54 AM
Heat damage is the worst IMO. I can bounce back from color and even bleach but heat damage...I've always had to cut that out. Which is why I haven't used a blow dryer in 4 years and I only use hot tools 3-4 times a year max.

However...last ditch effort try an Aphogee 2 step protein treatment. Pair that with at least a little trim, coconut oil and deep conditioning treatments. 's gone. Keep doing small trims and treatments until its gone.

Johannah
November 2nd, 2014, 06:41 AM
You can try oiling your hair, conditioning, and adding more moisture to your hair but i think damaged hair is damaged hair. The easy quick-fix is to cut it.

Exactly this.