PDA

View Full Version : Handbook of Hair Oils

ChloeDharma
October 31st, 2014, 09:45 AM
I found this book on Amazon a while back and finally caved in and brought it today. Has anybody read this? If so was it any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1493567535?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

chen bao jun
November 2nd, 2014, 10:38 AM
Let us know if you think it's worth it.

Johannah
November 2nd, 2014, 11:01 AM
Let us know if you think it's worth it.

Yes, indeed :o

BarretoSupreme
November 2nd, 2014, 11:09 AM
On the Amazon page they have the "look inside" link, from what they give you to read, I really need to find this book!

nikolette
November 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
I am certainly interested!

ChloeDharma
November 3rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Well it's not been dispatched yet but once I've taken a look I'll let you know what I think of it.

ChloeDharma
November 11th, 2014, 05:33 AM
It arrived so I've read through it. It's a thin book and although I'd say it is ok if you know absolutely nothing about oils I think for most people here it would be a waste of money. Maybe as a quick refresher when mixing up oil blends it's ok, like reference cards to jog the memory but it really just gives VERY basic information and not much of it. I'm quite disappointed with it to be honest and get much more from a google search.
I feel bad giving a bad review but don't want others to waste money. The impression I got from the "look inside" option on Amazon was that it would contain a lot more in depth information.

ChloeDharma
November 11th, 2014, 05:33 AM
It arrived so I've read through it. It's a thin book and although I'd say it is ok if you know absolutely nothing about oils I think for most people here it would be a waste of money. Maybe as a quick refresher when mixing up oil blends it's ok, like reference cards to jog the memory but it really just gives VERY basic information and not much of it. I'm quite disappointed with it to be honest and get much more from a google search.
I feel bad giving a bad review but don't want others to waste money. The impression I got from the "look inside" option on Amazon was that it would contain a lot more in depth information.

Kina
November 11th, 2014, 07:02 AM
thanks for the honest review. I'd been waiting ti see how you liked it.

Eastbound&Down
November 11th, 2014, 09:03 AM
That's a shame, because I am so dumb when it comes to oils and blends that work together..

xsweetpotatox
November 11th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Definitely leave a review for it. If it's a waste of money, don't feel bad about letting other people know. I mean, wouldn't a review like that have helped you out and saved you the money?

betterhairday
November 11th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I found this book on Amazon a while back and finally caved in and brought it today. Has anybody read this? If so was it any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1493567535?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Sorry to hear the book was not as good as you expected it to be. I re-ordered my Pro Naturals Hair Repair System last week and I noticed that they have a new page http://www.pro-naturals.com/uk/news.html and if you hit the "Advice" and then scroll down you will be able to read all about Moroccan Argan Oil so you will be able to strike one oil off your list!

Night_Kitten
November 11th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the honest review :)
A book with in-depth info about different oils and blends and their benefits to hair would surely have been a great thing, what a shame they chose to make that one a shallow and short / thin one...

ChloeDharma
November 11th, 2014, 02:21 PM
That's a shame, because I am so dumb when it comes to oils and blends that work together..

I think you are probably being a bit hard on yourself. I doubt you are at all "dumb" just maybe not confident yet. If you want to get into oils then google has lots of information as does this forum. Spend some time reading about individual oils, read other peoples experiences and see what appeals to you. Don't forget you can always ask for advice here and many people (myself included) will be happy to help if they can.

ChloeDharma
November 11th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I hope I have not been unfair to the book. It's not bad as such just very basic. For me it gave nowhere near enough information but I have trained as an aromatherapist and have been learning about oils and Indian/Ayurvedic oils in particular for a long time so maybe I'm not representative of the kind of thing most people might want.

Night_Kitten
November 13th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I hope I have not been unfair to the book. It's not bad as such just very basic. For me it gave nowhere near enough information but I have trained as an aromatherapist and have been learning about oils and Indian/Ayurvedic oils in particular for a long time so maybe I'm not representative of the kind of thing most people might want.
Yes, I imagine you (and probably any person who has some knowledge about oils) were not the "target crowd" of the book... It seems they were going for an "introductory to oils" kind of thing for people who never truly considered using oils before and have no idea where to start or where to look for info... It's too bad they didn't write that in the book's description though, would have saved you the money and disappointment...