PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing hair

Katahdin
September 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I've been thinking of dying part of my hair, but I'm not sure what colour I want, or "where" do dye it.

I love my natural colour, and want to keep it, so I'm thinking I'll either mink it (dye the "underside" of the hair darker), or dye the last few inches and have a cool two-toned look. I'll almost certainly use Jerome Russell Punky Hair Dye, it's deposit-only, and it washes out after about two months. I've used it before to streak my hair, so I already know and like it.

What colour do you think I should go for, and should I mink it or dye the bottom half? I was thinking about a bright red. Thoughts/opinions?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1719&pictureid=20804

This pic best shows my hair colour, my siggy pic is a little misleading because of the lighting.

joyjoy
September 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I like the two-toned look myself, where the hair looks like a paint brush that's been tipped in a different color -- maybe a plummy/purlple-ish color, if you can get that?

Awalia
September 25th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Omg, that is your real haircolor? It's so pretty =) If i were your, i would color just the tiny tips of your hair with flaming red color or some dark copper brown.

melikai
September 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Your colour is gorgeous as-is!

If you don't find the idea boring, it could look cool to mink it a rich dark chocolate brown.

ladyshannonanne
September 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
What about just a thick strip underneath? You'd see it for updo's or when you toss your hair.

I'd do something really fun and crazy like emerald green or bright blue. Both would look awesome playing off your already beautiful red hair!

Have fun with this!

Katahdin
September 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Well, I'm test-driving with a temporary colour that claims to wash out in 3-5 washes, so if I hate it, I have time to wash it out before Monday.

Pics of "pulse red" ends will be posted in roughly 25 minutes. =)

ETA: ARG! Camera isn't working =( I'll borrow one from a friend tomorrow to upload the pictures. Sorry!

Xandergrammy
September 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
At the risk of sounding like an old fogie, I think you should leave your hair the beautiful color it is now. Do you have any idea how many people would give one of their back molars for hair the color of yours?? :gabigrin:

mellie
September 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
OMG, your hair is gorgeous!!!

If you are really keen on something new, then just tips as was recommended by Awalia.

Bunnygirl
September 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
You have naturally red hair?!?!?!? Don't touch it! I am very jealous of you, red hair is amazingly gorgeous and even better, unique.

plainjanegirl
September 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I can't wait to see your updated pic!

But yes your color is pretty as is too.

wintersun99
September 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM

snowbear
September 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I suggest coloring the ends. Those are easy to hide if you want a monotone style, but are fun to show off if you want.

Plus, they are WAY more easily cut out than an underside dye job.

Katahdin
September 27th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Well, I got my camera working! :cheese:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/soxy.kata/Hair2#5250573703545382242

The ends look like they're crispy, but they feel fine. I think it's just the silicone that was in the dye. I'll touch up that bit on the right tomorrow, too.

Also, I do have thumbs, they were covered up by my shirt, I guess. :p

Katze
September 27th, 2008, 03:53 AM
IMO that's better than the dark-underneath, which always reminds me of a skunk somehow. Tips always look kind of edgy and cool when there is enough contrast.

Still, your natural color on its own IS incredible, and as others have said, something that many people would die for (pun intended).

Tressie
September 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
It looks pretty cool! Edgy, for sure, and dramatic! Just don't hurt that awesome God given color, ok??? (o:

Gwaihiril
September 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Awesome! I currently have just a tiny bit of pink/purple on the tips of my hair. The bright red on the tips of your hair (which, as others have said, is very pretty) looks great.

Have you used any other dyes, or just Punky? I've used Manic Panic and Special Effects, but haven't tried Punky.

joyjoy
September 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I think that came out well! It looks cool, and lets you have a change in your style that still preserves the natural beauty of your hair.

Katahdin
September 27th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Katze, thankyou. The edgy look is just what I was going for. :D

Tressie, Aww, thankyou!:flower: Heh, never. I love my natural hair colour.

Gwaihiril, I used a temporary peroxide-free dye that says it comes out in only a few washes. I wanted to test the colour out with a less-permanent dye in case I hated it. Today I'm going to wash it out, and do it over again with the Punky hair dye, which will last a month or two. I compared the strand test of Punky with the dye I have on now, it looks exactly the same.

Punky, Lo'real Colour Pulse and those spray-on Halloween dyes are the only dyes I've ever tried, mostly because I'd never want something permanent on my hair. :scared:

Joyjoy, thanks! That's exactly why I like Punky, I get to keep my real colour. :p

NeilTheFuzz
September 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I've once used non permanant "kiddy dye". And like you say it washes out fairly quicky so you don't have to worry about it. Have a laugh. I like the idea of you dying your hair darker on the underside, but that still kinda looks "semi-natural". Plus I imagine it's hard to do.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Neil :)

Samikha
September 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Personally I love it when the last few inches are darker than the rest of the hair, kinda like spidermom's signature pic. Agreed with the others, your hair is very beautiful, and I would kill for your colour!

ETA: Haha, I missed that there was a second page to this!:lol: It looks really cool!

<She>
September 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
It looks beautiful! You are so lucky to not have dark hair where you have to bleach to get some cool color to show on the hair.

Personally, I have tried non-peroxide semi-perm. dyes on my medium-dark brown hair but it hardly shows on the virgin hairs (I have bleached sections).

Just be carefull not to overuse the dyes, even though they are wash-out type they can build up and leave a stain on the hair. But that wont be a problem, I guewss, if you use red dye:)

rubyredslippers
September 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM
That looks gorgeous! I hope you have fun with the new colour!

GlassEyes
September 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I vote for Special Effects instead, but Punky is better tha Manic and RAW, at least from what I've heard.

As for dyeing, I like both. XD Like someone else said, the latter looks best when it looks like it's been dipped in paint, instead of a blunt dye across the ends.

I miss m dyed hair... D:

Isilme
September 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
how did you do it? Did you section your hair or did you just paint it on? Or did you do a ponytail and dipped the ends in the colour? I'm growing my hair partly to do something like this in the future so any help with application would be appreciated.:) it looks very cool:D

Siava
September 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I love it! Honestly though, I'm glad you only did a few inches vs. halfway up the length. Your natural color is so beautiful.

Oskimosa
September 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
No matter how gorgeous your hair is, when you wake up every morning with it, it can get boring. I totally get that. Which is why I've had every other color in the world... only to want to go back to my own.

Juuuust keep in mind that whatever you do, you will have to keep it up or else spend a long time growing it out. How about trying some hair pieces/extensions on and checking out how you like the colors on you first? Like some "highlights" or a darker layer underneath?