PDA

View Full Version : dandruff and sulfates

Chocowalnut
October 30th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I have realized something interesting lately.. I have had a dandruff problem for many years. About a year ago I switched to sulfate free products and didn't pay much attention at the time to it, but my dandruff actually went away. Now, a few weeks ago, I wanted to try using a sulfate shampoo product again (mainly because a lot of the time I felt like my hair was not feeling completely clean). My dandruff is back! I have not changed anything else in my routine. I am surprised it actually makes such a big difference. So I will be going back to sulfate-free shampoo again. :o Anyone else with dandruff problems see similar results?

Ingrid
October 30th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Yep, sulfates give me dandruff and scalp sores... Not nice. Glad you found what worked for you!

Alexa
October 31st, 2014, 12:34 AM
Yes, my husband always had dandruff when he used shampoo with sulfates!

LadyCelestina
October 31st, 2014, 01:53 AM
I suspect your dandruff might be in fact dry or irritated scalp then?

ladyfey
October 31st, 2014, 06:02 AM
I'm the opposite, I have seborrheic dermatitis and need the harsh shampoo. I tried natural, nicer shampoos, they are what I want to use. No dice, my scalp needs sulfates.

Chocowalnut
October 31st, 2014, 07:15 AM
I'm the opposite, I have seborrheic dermatitis and need the harsh shampoo. I tried natural, nicer shampoos, they are what I want to use. No dice, my scalp needs sulfates.

That's very interesting. Whatever works for you, though.

CurlMonster
November 1st, 2014, 04:17 AM
I am the same. I used to have quite a dry and itchy scalp - hairdressers would always comment on it - and I used Head and Shoulders because, well, it's designed for that, right? I've been CO washing for quite while now and my scalp is much more comfortable. I did a wash with Head and Shoulders a month or so ago and wow! I had forgotten how itchy and uncomfortable my scalp used to be. Thankfully it recovers quickly with my usual CO washing. Harsh shampoo is definitely not for me and my scalp.

lapushka
November 1st, 2014, 08:17 AM

Same here. I need the harsher cleansers to keep SD at bay. It's interesting to see how different it can be for others.

Panth
November 1st, 2014, 08:24 AM
Yup, me too. I suggest if you have a SLS-sensitivity (as you seem to) to also consider choosing SLS-free toothpastes. I did this and my nearly decade-long mystery problem of inflamed, bleeding, slowly receding gums abruptly stopped.

lapushka
November 1st, 2014, 08:46 AM
Yup, me too. I suggest if you have a SLS-sensitivity (as you seem to) to also consider choosing SLS-free toothpastes. I did this and my nearly decade-long mystery problem of inflamed, bleeding, slowly receding gums abruptly stopped.

I especially seek out sls-free toothpaste, can't stand the stuff. Why on earth you'd want sulfates in your toothpaste is beyond me. My teeth are way, waaay too sensitive for this.

melusine963
November 1st, 2014, 10:03 AM

This was the case for me. As soon as I switched to sulphate-free, my itchy scalp problems disappeared.

Chocowalnut
November 1st, 2014, 04:54 PM

Yes it definitely seems to get dry and irritated sometimes so am switching back to sulfate free.

Chocowalnut
November 1st, 2014, 04:55 PM

Good idea.. I know a lot of toothpastes put some crazy stuff in there so I have been thinknig about that too

Seventy7
November 1st, 2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks for this post. I've had an itchy and flaky scalp for years now. It hasn't been that bad that I tried to solve it before. But now I'm more aware of my hair and scalp, so I'm trying to figure out the right solution. I've been SLS-free for a year now, this hasn't solved it yet. Last month I've started oiling my hair and scalp pre-wash. This seems to calm it down a bit. So I'll treat my scalp as a dry scalp for now and stick to it.

If it doesn't go away completely by years end I'll try something else or check my doctor.
It's encouraging to hear others have figured their routine, so I'll just keep trying.

Larki
November 1st, 2014, 06:38 PM
TBH I never even knew people could have scalp problems until I came to LHC. :shrug: I've never had an issue with any type of product, sulfate or sulfate-free, co-washing, etc.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2014, 07:16 AM
TBH I never even knew people could have scalp problems until I came to LHC. :shrug: I've never had an issue with any type of product, sulfate or sulfate-free, co-washing, etc.

Boy, you're lucky, trust me! :)

allierat
November 2nd, 2014, 10:15 AM

I had no idea there were sulphates in toothpaste! It seems to be in everything!

jeanniet
November 2nd, 2014, 12:35 PM
I'd say it's very likely that your scalp was just too dry from the sulfates. A true allergic reaction probably would've been more severe. I found that switching from sulfates--really, using almost no shampoo in general--really alleviated my dry, itchy, flaking scalp problems, but sulfates in other products don't bother me.

But if changing to SLS-free (or, for that matter, trying sulfates) doesn't relieve the problem within a few weeks, go to the doctor! There's no reason to suffer with scalp problems unnecessarily.

kelseyxface
November 2nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
I had the exact opposite issue, I always had a super oily scalp but dry hair. I went sulfate free and I haven't had oily roots since and my hair has gotten so much softer and manageable. <3

getoffmyskittle
November 2nd, 2014, 01:32 PM
Non-sulfate shampoos are horrible for my seborrheic dermatitis. Using one triggers a relapse within 3 washes. Head & Shoulders (or a store-brand knockoff) is the only shampoo I will use any more.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
Non-sulfate shampoos are horrible for my seborrheic dermatitis. Using one triggers a relapse within 3 washes. Head & Shoulders (or a store-brand knockoff) is the only shampoo I will use any more.

If you're ever sick of H&S, try Pantene or Herbal Essences. They're the harshest sulfate shampoos on the market (both SLS & SLES). They are really great and keep my SD at bay quite well. I also sometimes switch it up with Garnier Ultra Doux, slightly milder, but still good enough.

swearnsue
November 2nd, 2014, 07:10 PM
I need to switch between the sulfate free and the sulfate rich shampoos. If I don't use a good sulfate shampoo I get oily dandruff, very yucky. But if I use sulfates EVERY time, my hair gets too dry.

So I have two shampoos going (or more!) at all times. You can never have too many hair products!!!

mamaherrera
November 2nd, 2014, 08:00 PM
I'm trying to find what needs to be my middle shampoo, because Im' using nizoral twice a week, but I wash three times a week, as my scalp gets oily and I sweat daily with exercise. I've been trying to use my sulfate free shampoo as the middle one, BUT I'm still seeing lots of flakes, so I might need a mild sulfate. Or is it dry skin flakes?? How to know the difference?? Anyone know??? Also, I have a Paul Mitchell shampoo, is that a mild sulfate? Any good recs for mild sulfate poos?