PDA

View Full Version : Damage from overdoing it when moisturizing?

Zugar
October 30th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Hi!

This might be a stupid question, but here goes; I´ve been to the hairdresser and cut off split ends, and now my hair is completely healthy! :happydance: But, it is a bit dry. So the question is, if I choose to overdo it alittle with coating my hair in serums, oils and creams (so that it feels alittle greasy) to moisturize, could this in any way damage my hair? I´m not thinking about build-up, I know my products go out in wash :)

Thank you :)

kganihanova
October 30th, 2014, 09:06 AM
You can seal moisture into your hair. You can't really "moisturize" it in the literal sense of the word.

lapushka
October 30th, 2014, 09:28 AM
No you can't in no way damage your hair from dousing it in conditioner, oil/serums, the lot. Just make sure you wash it out properly, and you should be fine.

Alexa
October 30th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I don't think you can damage it, but I don't really enjoy my hair when it gets over-moisturized, and it seems to take a few washings and some protein, to normalize again. It feels limp and "mushy", for lack of a better word.

lapushka
October 30th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I use the WCC method & LOC method, so double conditioning and then another hit of moisturizers and sealants in the LOC method that follows it up. My hair *is* clarified every wash, and it's just fine. Has been for years. And I get quite a bit of moisturizing every time. ;)

spidermom
October 30th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Contrariwise, I do think it's possible to over-moisturize it to the point of damaging it. It gets all stretchy, and stretching weakens it.

raudr
October 30th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Just be careful with things that have protein. Like yogurt, it makes my hair crunchy.

Alexa
October 30th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Interesting thought, spidermom. I can see how that might be true.

Not all hair needs extra protein, and not all hair needs heavy moisturizing. It's all about finding the right balance for your hair. For my hair, I need to be much more careful about the the amount and type of moisturizing I use than protein. I'm sure it's the opposite for others. My understanding, and there are exceptions to every rule, is that fine hair tends to like protein, and coarse hair tends not to.

Zugar
October 30th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Thank you all for your answers! :)