PDA

View Full Version : Leave-in conditioner/other tips for fine curly hair?

noreenw
October 30th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Hi! So I've wanted long hair basically my whole life, but I've always thought my fine, loosely curly hair was incapable of growing beyond shoulder length without being really damaged. As of about 4 months ago, I decided to take this seriously and started supplements, mostly CO cold water washes, sulfate and silicone free, etc. I'm definitely seeing growth, but still have a major split end problem :( I have to trim off split ends once a week or more and find TONS of split ends and tiny knots!
I'm wondering if this is because my ends are too dry? I tried coconut oil, but it made my hair crunchy and sticky feeling, and jojoba oil weighed it down too much. Does anybody have suggestions on how to keep my ends moisturized and happy?

Hotrox
October 30th, 2014, 04:01 AM
If you have splits and dry ends you may find that products with silicones are more protective for the ends. How did you hair look and feel before you have switched up? Curly heads are lead to believe that silicone are the enemy of curls but this is not the case for all of us. They offer slip and some degree of protection. You might also benefit from a protein treatment, fine haired curlies generally do well with protein but read around this for your hair type.

I also find my hair doesn't like oils, so the night before wash morning I put a splodge of my regular conditioner on them and tuck them away in an updo. You can wear it up in the day with conditioner on the ends too, protective hair up styles will help further splits from forming as well.

BroomHilda
October 30th, 2014, 04:59 AM
For fine hair you need a fair amount of protein. Look for hydrolised keratin, wheat protein or anything in the first 5 ingredients in a conditioner.
I state the obvious that You should ditch hair dryers and heat tools. Use only when completely necessary.
If you dye your hair stop right away. Dont ever use anything higher than 20v peroxide to dye ONCE the hair. Never repeat or refresh.

As for the oils you really need super light ones. Coconut would be a good bet but if you dont like it you can use something like hydrogenated coconut oil or caprylic capric triglycerides (first ingredient in many dry oils). Almond oil could be good.
In your case I d use a nice dry oil.

Stop excess handling/brushing.

Be aware that fine hair are really susceptible to every day elements. So you ll propably need to make use of updos on every day basis once you reach a "long" length.

Your splits could be a result of improper care routine till recently. So keep what you do and be patient till the strong hairs become the new ends.

lapushka
October 30th, 2014, 08:41 AM
You could try the "curly girl method" and the "LOC method" for styling (link is in my signature). The key is not to use too much product, unless you are very tightly curly.