PDA

View Full Version : Hair had to be cut short and chunk of hair that shouldnt be there is still there?!

stephy190
October 29th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Help.. So basically a chunk of my hair was cut short at the front (and by chunk I mean all the hair in front of my ear up to about my chin) and its grown down to about top of shoulder length now and the hairdresser has blended it in with the rest of the hair as best she can. She had to cut my longer hair up to about collarbone length. Problem is this shorter part is still a chunk and its driving me mad.. I feel like it has to be down with the rest of my length and not meant to be a layer so I'm tempted to cut all my hair (again, for like the third big cut recently as my hair used to be BSL before this) up to shoulder length to finally get it all in the one length. But I'd have a bob then and me and also my boyfriend don't like hair that short..the short bit is about an inch or so away from the length but I'm just not wanting to cut anymore. But this shorter chunk is ruining my mood as it makes me feel like my progress in growing my hair Is so slow, like it would need to grow down some more before its normal and then get the length cut again.

Should I do it the slow way or do one final big chop to shoulder length ?

Thanks to anyone who answers :) I'm going a bit mad lol

Puffer Fish
October 29th, 2014, 07:25 PM
As someone who's had an accidental chunk get chopped out of growth before (though for me it was the back of my hair, not the front), I found it easier to just get the whole length evened out at once. And judging by your profile pic a bob would still work with your face shape, so it certainly wouldn't look bad even if it's not what you want to have in the long run. Plus if you get it all evened out now I think you'll be less self conscious about it.
Another option is to pin back that particular chunk into a half-up or a lace braid or something if you can. That way you can keep your length without seeing the awkward weird spot until it's long enough to snip.

ReneeG
October 29th, 2014, 08:06 PM
If you truly hate how it looks now, then chop to even it out. But if you truly hate the idea of having a bob, then go the slow route.

Its not too bad trimming layers out slowly, you can just trim half your length every month or two, so every month trim a quarter inch, or every other month cut half an inch. That way you will still get some length, but will get closer and closer to evening out the front chunk. And every time you trim, you will feel better about doing somehting about it, without having to go through the scary short bob stage.

Or go to a better hairdresser and have them blend it in! There should be no reason why they can't trim the hair surrounding it on both sides so as to allow a gradual lengthening into the main length, so that it doesnt look like a chop. Think "face framing layers". Only a poor hair dresser is unable to blend sections to some degree to avoid choppiness.

Good luck! Remember, no matter how unhappy you are with it right now, at least it will grow albeit slowly

MsPharaohMoan
October 29th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I'd use it for accent braids and slowly microtrim it out. Whatever you're comfortable with. If you wanna go the slow way, might as well style and have fun with it.

alishaxmarie
October 29th, 2014, 08:55 PM
You already said you don't like hair that short, so don't cut it to shoulder because it sounds like you'll regret it. Or at least wait to cut it so you can be super sure that that's what you want. So if you don't immediately opt for a single length I've brainstormed a few ideas so I hope they help at least a little!
Why don't you just make that chunk into a side-swept bang and face-framing layer to blend it? If you did that then my bad for mentioning it, you didn't specify how it was blended before. You could also just get your hair angled from the length of the chunk in the front to the length it already is in the back which would pretty much be a V hemline. Those would both make growing it out more bearable, and you'll see progress much quicker if you microtrim along the way so that you're evening your hair out as it grows longer. You don't have your hair type listed but wavier/wurlier/curlier types would help to hide the length difference and I suppose heatless curling methods could help you achieve that look if you're a type 1. In elementary school, I accidentally spit gum into my hair in PE and cut it myself but magically no one ever noticed or said a thing about it and the chunk was half the length that the rest of my hair was! My hair was also probably 1B/C at the time so it's not like waves hid it at all or anything. Other than that, I'd say learn to headband braid (there are variations so you won't be too bored) as well as French and/or Dutch braids (but if I were you, I'd only do those 2 as half-ups since the tail of the braid wouldn't even reach your shoulders) since those should hold the chunk out of your face. It might also be good to check out the thread for growing out bangs/fringes since your short chunk is in the same general area. I hope you figure out something which will make you happy with your hair :flowers:

Btw, I'm really curious as to how this happened but feel free not to let us know of course.

SummerCherie
October 29th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I would try a different hairstyle. Style hair according to the chunk. If your goal is to have long hair and its important to you don't cut it.

LongCurlyTress
October 30th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Don't cut it at all! You just had it cut, so the ends are now fresh.Just use either EVOO or coconut oil on the ends at night, esp the shorter chunk part so it won't split and will continue to grow. IMO layers area pain to grow out, and make bunning difficult. I too am growing out some bangs which I regretfully cut in June to mid nose. Now they are at chin length, growing at about an inch a month. Read somewhere that bangs grow faster than the rest of your hair. :) Anyways, just pin the shorter parts back and in 6 months time, they will be 3 inches longer, on average growth at 1/2 inch a month. I would not cut your hair at all. Benign neglect works!! I did cut my hair to a chin length bob back in March 2011 from bsl hair so my dyed parts would get cut off. Have regretted that ever since, but now that my hair has grown back to 31 inches, I am ok again. Put down those scissors and force yourself to do other things besides obsessing about the chunk. It will grow out in time!! "Don't cut" is my opinion, anyways. Good luck!! :)

stephy190
October 30th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Sooo thought I'd update you guys what happened.. I cut it! Chopped to just above shoulders.. so its all evened out at one length. I feel a bit crappy cause ive lost about 5 inches in the last 4 months with trying to even it up but Its done now so I won't have to go back for a while. Yeah I just let the short chunk grow down to below my chin and got it cut because I couldn't do it the long way anymore. Thought if its done then its done and don't have to go back for at least 4-5 months now :) Yay.. Also due to the shorter bit I had to constantly keep my hair straightened to make it sit in properly so I was scared about causing damage too if I'm doing that every day for months! Think I made the right choice :) Although its sooo short!

Thanks for all your replies and support everyone :D

stephy190
October 30th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Sooo thought I'd update you guys what happened.. I cut it! Chopped to just above shoulders.. so its all evened out at one length. I feel a bit crappy cause ive lost about 5 inches in the last 4 months with trying to even it up but Its done now so I won't have to go back for a while. Yeah I just let the short chunk grow down to below my chin and got it cut because I couldn't do it the long way anymore. Thought if its done then its done and don't have to go back for at least 4-5 months now :) Yay.. Also due to the shorter bit I had to constantly keep my hair straightened to make it sit in properly so I was scared about causing damage too if I'm doing that every day for months! Think I made the right choice :) Although its sooo short!

Thanks for all your replies and support everyone :D