PDA

View Full Version : A hair stimulant

milque
October 28th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Have you guys heard of this product (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hair-Stimulant-Growth-Strength-Essential/dp/B00590PL4Q)? - Ikarov Hair Stimulant.

I was browsing Amazon and this product came up with lots of good reviews. The only ingredients list (description, more like) I can find is this. Apparently the description and ingredients on the box are in Bulgarian/Russian:

Active ingredients:
These are herbal extracts of yarrow, nettle and cress in almond oil, which is dissolved four essential oils: rosemary, lavender, bergamot and ylang.

What do you guys think? Worth a try? It's quite affordable on Amazon UK.

ooglipoo
October 28th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I've never heard of it, but from your description and the listing on Amazon, it sounds lovely! Like it would smell quite nice.

I've not been one to oil my scalp, though... Is that how you would use it?

milque
October 28th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I've never heard of it, but from your description and the listing on Amazon, it sounds lovely! Like it would smell quite nice.

I've not been one to oil my scalp, though... Is that how you would use it?

I would think so? Since it's supposed to stimulate the hair follicles to encourage growth. Based on the reviews, apparently it's nice on the lengths too.

ooglipoo
October 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I read the directions and it did indicate that it is for use on both! I think you should try it and write a review. :D

allierat
October 28th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I remember seeing this a while ago. I can't remember now why I never tried it as for the price it wouldn't hurt to give it a go!

Siowiel
October 28th, 2014, 11:52 AM
My personal opinion is that it's mostly the massage that's responsible for any success with such products, because it increases the bloodflow in the scalp, which helps to stimulate growth, think "immersion method".
But it certianly can't hurt, and the essential oils added are thought to be good for hair. Similar hair oils have been discussed and used on LHC, but I haven't seen a thread in a while - hair care is, after all, also prone to fads!
You can easily make a similar oil yourself if you have some essential oils lying around, just add a few drops in a carrier oil like jojoba, almond etc., apply a few drops to your scalp, give yourself a good massage and see how you like it.
Personally, I use on the days before washing a hair tonic I made myself, green tea and some essential oils, and massage my scalp with that because I can't stand oil on my scalp, the feel and the look of it, and the hassle to wash it out.

In any case, you might find this helpful, which has recently been resurrected:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001

ChloeDharma
October 28th, 2014, 01:47 PM
That oil has been on my watch list for a while though for some reason I thought it had burdock root in it which is what tempted me, though if it has nettle root in then that would be good. It looks a good oil and I've used those essential oils before, bergamot has amazing mood enhancing properties but unless it is FCF bergamot then it is one of the most photosensitising essential oils so if you do use it I would advise using it at night and making sure you have washed it off before you go out in daylight. I don't mean that to put you off as I do really love bergamot essential oil but it's best to be safe and use it wisely.

I'm glad you started this thread as I am rather curious about this oil. My hair loves almond oil, it feels incredibly soft after using it. So if you do try it I'd really like to hear how you get on with it.

Enrapture
October 28th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I think that it is easier to make on your own. ;)
Right now I have burdock root, nettle, sage, rosemary, calendula, chamomile, lavender and other herbs infusing in olive oil. It takes about 5 weeks, though. I haven't made one before, it's first time doing it. But I think it is as good as the one you'd be buying. You can switch olive oil for almond or other oils as well. You can add essential oils too.

kdaniels8811
October 28th, 2014, 04:38 PM
For those of you that do not like to use oil on your scalp, try infusing the herbs in vinegar - I use apple cider but my hair is dark, use white vinegar for blond or grey shades. I put 8-10 drops on my scalp 2-3 times a week and am really seeing growth and lots of baby hairs. My circumference has increased, also- yay!!

Oil on my scalp just makes my hair greasy no matter how little I use so the vinegar is a great alternative. The vinegar scent goes away in minutes, I asked hubby to be sure.

ChloeDharma
October 28th, 2014, 05:07 PM
For those of you that do not like to use oil on your scalp, try infusing the herbs in vinegar - I use apple cider but my hair is dark, use white vinegar for blond or grey shades. I put 8-10 drops on my scalp 2-3 times a week and am really seeing growth and lots of baby hairs. My circumference has increased, also- yay!!

Oil on my scalp just makes my hair greasy no matter how little I use so the vinegar is a great alternative. The vinegar scent goes away in minutes, I asked hubby to be sure.

I really like this idea, I have wondered about it before actually. Do you think tough herbs like burdock root would work in it? I love oiling my scalp but I do also like the idea of a non oily option too plus my boyfriend has SD so he's started using ACV daily with essential oils in it.

Sorry, I have gone off topic a bit. Getting back on track I decided to do some searching on bergamot and hair growth. It seems to have some success in that area So this oil or a home made version sounds like a good idea.

milque
October 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I caved and just bought this oil for £6 off Amazon. I'd love to do a homemade one, but I don't have any of the herbs or essential oils on hand so going out and getting them would work out to be quite pricey.

I'll use this for a bit and update on how I got on with it :)

kdaniels8811
October 28th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Rosemary and nettle are recommended for hair growth. Let me know how it works for you.

ChloeDharma
October 28th, 2014, 09:58 PM
I caved and just bought this oil for £6 off Amazon. I'd love to do a homemade one, but I don't have any of the herbs or essential oils on hand so going out and getting them would work out to be quite pricey.

I'll use this for a bit and update on how I got on with it :)

I really hope you get on well with this oil, I am very tempted myself but want to go for something with bhringraj in it or at least burdock root (home made). The essential oils in that mix I already use.
I'll look forward to reading your experiences with this oil, it's at least convinced me to add bergamot EO to the list of oils I already use.

pixldust
October 29th, 2014, 07:47 AM
This sounds incredibly tempting - I currently use just castor and olive mixed as an overnight pre-poo, but that could be just used on the ends instead. I hope you have some good results from this milque, please keep us posted!

hendy
October 29th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Hi, I am from Bulgaria and this is quite popular here. The Ikarov brand has good reputation and generally good quality products.
I have used this product, but it was a long time ago and I found it too oily for my scalp. Keep in mind that the smell is very strong too

You are supposed to massage it on your scalp, put a towel and a plastic bag over it and stay for a few hours, before washing it off .

The base is almond oil and it has herbs and some essential oils in it. If you enjoy almond oil in your hair, you will like it
Don't use this of you are pregnant

milque
November 3rd, 2014, 08:09 AM
Hi, I am from Bulgaria and this is quite popular here. The Ikarov brand has good reputation and generally good quality products.
I have used this product, but it was a long time ago and I found it too oily for my scalp. Keep in mind that the smell is very strong too

You are supposed to massage it on your scalp, put a towel and a plastic bag over it and stay for a few hours, before washing it off .

The base is almond oil and it has herbs and some essential oils in it. If you enjoy almond oil in your hair, you will like it
Don't use this of you are pregnant

Thank you very much for your input! Glad to know that it's a good product from a reputable brand :)

So I've used this oil twice now, each time overnight before a wash. I don't want to be hasty, but I seem to notice that I shed significantly less when I washed my hair this morning. Usually oil scalp massages make me shed like crazy, which is why I tend to stay away from them. But this product doesn't do that which is awesome.

In terms of helping with hair growth, I'll gage how much it helps when I do my length check about a month from now. I'm guessing there'll be an improvement anyway due to the scalp massages.

So far I'm quite pleased with this product. On top of that, I love the smell. Very calming!

allierat
November 3rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
Thank you very much for your input! Glad to know that it's a good product from a reputable brand :)

So I've used this oil twice now, each time overnight before a wash. I don't want to be hasty, but I seem to notice that I shed significantly less when I washed my hair this morning. Usually oil scalp massages make me shed like crazy, which is why I tend to stay away from them. But this product doesn't do that which is awesome.

In terms of helping with hair growth, I'll gage how much it helps when I do my length check about a month from now. I'm guessing there'll be an improvement anyway due to the scalp massages.

So far I'm quite pleased with this product. On top of that, I love the smell. Very calming!

Sounds promising so far!