PDA

View Full Version : oils/leave ins

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Talking with a friend here on the site, who has had problems before, it got me thing about oils/leave in.s I only apply oil/leave ins to length for my curls and gel as well. I only use gels that have water-soluble stuff, so that's not an issue. But if i only do scalp washes, how do I get the oils applied to my length out of my hair??? It got me thinking, eh?? Just curious. . . especially for those of you who pineapple and apply light oil to ends every night before bed. How do you prevent build up and how do you get it out if shampoos are never applied to lenght. And then, usually (without SD) I use a diluted SLs-free shampoo, so how does that get stuff out of the hair???

Nadine <3
October 27th, 2014, 02:13 PM
My hair soaks up the oil. If I heavily applied it to my length as a pre poo I "wash" my length with conditioner. It removes oils rather well.

Panth
October 27th, 2014, 02:14 PM
In my experience, the suds running down the length of the hair when scalp-applied shampoos are rinsed out are more than sufficient to remove everyday build-up. Not sufficient for heavy oilings. (And, of course, the occasional clarifying with shampoo-applied-to-whole-length is needed - but only once every few months.)

However, I'm not a wavy/curly.

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Really?? Clarifing to length, I never knew, I've never done. Hopefully some curly haired people chime in too, but thanks, at least I know I'm getting most of it ooff. But for you people who do heavy oilings as a pre-poo, how the heck do you get it out of your hair, is it like what Nadine said, the conditioner removes it??

Larki
October 27th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I co-wash and do heavy pre-poo oiling before nearly every wash - the conditioner removes the oil perfectly every time. You'll most likely have to use a lot more conditioner than you're used to, and rinse it out longer, but it works wonderfully.

Panth
October 28th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Really?? Clarifing to length, I never knew, I've never done. Hopefully some curly haired people chime in too, but thanks, at least I know I'm getting most of it ooff. But for you people who do heavy oilings as a pre-poo, how the heck do you get it out of your hair, is it like what Nadine said, the conditioner removes it??

Yup. Clarifying shampoo is aimed at removing build-up. Build-up is on your length. Hence, clarifying shampoo is the exception to the rule - you purposely apply the stuff to your length (or, I guess, for most people - everything). Regular shampoo is aimed at removing sebum and shed skin, hence it should be aimed at the scalp / first few inches of hair.

But yes, conditioner will remove oil (actually more effectively than shampoo). Oil is more soluble in conditioner than in shampoo. Also, most conditioners contain a few cleansing ingredients as well as all the conditioning ones.

mamaherrera
October 28th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks--so how do people know if you need to clarify and do you also clarify the scalp, I mean, when people clarify, they do the whole head, scalp, length, everything, right?

TrapperCreekD
October 28th, 2014, 01:01 PM
It's individual, but the symptoms usually include any combination of the following: ends and length grabby and tanglier (can also mean a protein issue if you use protein-heavy products); hair is weighed down and dull; length appears oily but dry; your current routine suddenly stops working for no apparent reason; your hair feels sticky/tacky/gunky even though you just washed it.

Yes, you are correct, clarifying means everything from the scalp to the very ends gets shampoo.

But for you people who do heavy oilings as a pre-poo, how the heck do you get it out of your hair, is it like what Nadine said, the conditioner removes it??

I'm probably in the minority, but I find shampooing it out works amazingly well for me. A pea-sized amount diluted in the palm and applied to dry hair (just hold your oiled length out of the stream while you wet your scalp; the shampoo doesn't work very well if the oiled hair is wet), and left for a minute or two before rinsing does the trick for me. Does oil protect the length if shampoo is used to remove it? Yes, it does! For me, a few suds running down the length equals way drier hair than the same shampoo applied directly to oiled hair.

MJ1972
October 28th, 2014, 07:10 PM
About the need to clarify...

It's individual, but the symptoms usually include any combination of the following: ends and length grabby and tanglier (can also mean a protein issue if you use protein-heavy products)...

This is a little off topic, but I've learned that for me, tangly ends are not a sign that I need to clarify, but rather that I need to reduce the amount of product I use. I never had tangly ends until I started LOC-ing. Two weeks ago, I finally experienced the dreaded velcro ends that I keep reading about on this site. They coincided with my having doubled the amount of each LOC product I used, just to see what it would do to my hair. I significantly reduced the amount of LOC product on my next wash, and the velcro ends disappeared. I'm convinced that those two facts are directly related. I think a lot of LHC people would not experience velcro ends if they used less product on their hair. When it comes to LOC-ing, less is definitely more.

Mamaherrera, if you're concerned about build-up, you may want to reconsider the amount of oil you're using. A very little goes a long way.

mamaherrera
October 28th, 2014, 11:39 PM
NO and this is very true. I have seen myself overdose on oil. .today I tried WCC and that went great, but I put in what I thought was a lot of gel, and I still got the 'undefined" poofy curls, not the defined ones. It's cool.. . . but I still don't know what my hairs likes/dislikes. It's frustrating.