PDA

View Full Version : New to forum - questions on regime

cupcakekabuki
October 27th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Hello,

I have nearly waist length hair (about 2" away) although I thought it was just mid back length before checking it just now, I'd like it much longer but I think I need to look after it better and I don't know where to start.

I occasionally trim it by twisting it and cutting off split ends and maybe .5cm every few months when I cut my fringe.

It is incredibly thick and is more manageable longer as it seems to lighten a bit. I just use cheap shampoo and conditioner.

I have heard of using coconut oil but I don't know how you actually use it, I wasn't sure if this would work for my hair (Caucasian). Ive heard apply cider vinegar is good. Or not washing your hair often? I am vegan I wouldn't want to use egg etc

Can anyone please tell me their regimes? With details if what you do. Thank you.

fiğrildi
October 27th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Hi, and welcome to LHC :flower:
Coconut oil is good for all kinds of hair (curly, wavy, straight, fine, thick). You just apply a drop of coconut oil in the palm of your hand, and rub it with both hands until your palms are shiny. Then apply to the ends of your hair, or from ends to mid length (don't apply near the roots, unless you want a greasy scalp!). If you need a bit more, repeat with another drop. It's better to apply too little than too much.

ACV rinses are also good, it can help to control the frizz, add shine and moisture to your hair. Stretching washes could also be a very good option, as well as trying co-washing. But you'll have to try and see what routine works best for you and for your hair.

Wearing protective updos (buns, braids) and sleeping with a silk bonnet are also interesting options.

You can have a look at the newbie thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127067&highlight=newbie

Happy growing! :)

ZeppHead
October 27th, 2014, 08:04 AM
I agree with above. I keep my hair up more now that I reached waist, wash less, use coconut oil regularly and only trim as needed. Be nice to your hair and comb gently.

Madora
October 27th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Welcome to LHC, cupcakekabuki!

Here is a link to LHC member Heidi W's video on how to oil long hair : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

Hair wash stretching is a good idea but it takes several weeks for your scalp and hair to adapt. Dr. George Michael, the famed Czar of Long Hair, recommends only washing your hair when it needs it. If you wash once a week, nothing wrong with that either (which is what I did for years).

Keep eggs away from your hair. The molecules they leave on your strands are not hair friendly and hair becomes cranky.

I've had long hair for many decades and basically, my regime is:

Wash once a month. I use 4 drops of mineral oil to detangle (and in place of conditioner). I also have a special method of washing, plus a special method for air drying my knee length hair (dried outside in about 25 minutes. Indoors, with the aid of an electric heater, 45 minutes)

I am a firm believer in the art of brushing my hair daily with a pure boar bristle brush, and my hair has benefitted from such brushing. In my opinion, there's nothing better you can do to achieve healthy, beautiful, soft, shiny hair. It's all about the boar bristle brush (not all are created equal!) and HOW you use that bbb!

My hair is always up and braided.

I detangle with a wide tooth comb, in small, thin sections, working from the tips and slowly up the strands until I reach the scalp.

I do not oil or use any products on my hair other than my George Michael Pink Crème shampoo, and the 4 drops of mineral oil.

Diet plays a huge part in whether you will have healthy hair. And, of course, your hair genes play a pivotal role in determining if you will reach great lengths or not.

Here's my tip list for healthy hair:

Hair tips (based on my own experience of more than 40 years):
Be patient.
Less is more. Don't overload your hair with products!
Not everything works for everybody!
Use gentle shampoos
Stay far away from: blow fryers/straighteners/hot curlers/bleach/backcombing/teasing/Brazilian blowouts
Eat sensibly! Exercise moderately. Drink water.

The best thing you can do for your hair:
wear it up to protect it
detangle it gently with a wide tooth comb (every day)
brush it daily with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon or rubber!)

learn new hairstyles to keep from being bored

ponytails are not hair friendly. Avoid them!

Weekly S and Ding are beneficial for keeping white dots and split ends in check. Use SHARP shears!

Don't obsess on how fast (or not) your hair is growing! That'll drive you bonkers.

Mineral oil (baby oil), used sparingly (2 drops) is great for detangling, taming frizzies, and helping with moisture. You place the drops in your palms, rub it all over the hands, then draw your hands through your hair until the oil sheen has just about vanished from your palms. It is very lightweight, leaves no after scent, washes out in the next shampoo, and is dead cheap.

Always detangle with a WIDE TOOTH COMB! Never detangle with a brush!
Detangle from the ends of the hair, then up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots.
Daily gentle scalp massage in the bent at the waist position is a great way to stimulate your follicles for a boost in hair growth.

A silk pillowcase cover - or sleeping cap - is a great way to protect your hair while sleeping.

Of course there are a lot more pointers! Check out threads on The Mane Forum

Sharysa
October 27th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Benign neglect is a really great method for me. I don't do anything special--I keep my hair braided most of the time, I wash it twice a week, and I use almond oil and Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner after the wash.

Every month I trim my split ends and reshape my hemline, then do a pre-shower oiling.

Please note that coconut oil might leave your hair crunchy for a few days (my hair hates coconut), so good alternatives are olive oil or almond oil.

Chiaroscuro
October 27th, 2014, 09:36 PM
I agree with everything all have said, but as a girl with very thick long hair who can't stand any additional weight, the lightest oil I have found is argan, the second lighest is camellia.

"I just use cheap shampoo and conditioner."
Cheap is fine, but choose with great awareness of your hair's needs...keep reading and searching the site to learn more.
I would say most here go sulfate and silicone free unless they know from experience that their hair reponds better to either or both. So if you don't yet use sulfate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner, try finding those products first.

Also avoid alcohols such as those found in sprays, glosses, and gels. Search the site for alternative products or natural concoctions.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120055
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126309

Good luck!

memeow
October 28th, 2014, 01:55 AM
It looks like you're already getting some great advice here. On a pragmatic note, I'd recommend trying one new thing at a time. Try it for at least two weeks (unless it's having clearly horrible effects, like massive tangles or huge shedding) before deciding if you like it or not, and go from there. I think most people tend to come here and get rid of sulfates, silicones, and hair ties, start using coconut oil and Argan oil, buy a silk pillowcase and start wearing buns every day. But then if you're unhappy with your hair, it's much harder to figure out which of the things you've changed is the culprit. Plus you run the risk of burning out on spending tons of time and money on things that only give marginal improvements. So, rather than immediately revamping your routine, I'd recommend just trying one new thing at a time. Rest assured that your current routine is unlikely to be doing much harm :)

Personally, things I've found helpful are
-detangling with a wide toothed comb on dry hair only
-protective styling (generally day and night, but I do like to wear it down sometimes)
-silk pillowcase
-coconut oil pre-wash--about once a week or when I notice it's dry
-1 drop of mineral oil post wash
-learning about protein, moisture, and silicones, and how to tell when my hair is overloaded on any of the three