PDA

View Full Version : gross question I know, but here it is

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 12:46 AM
I have had itchies as many of you know. I've been doing Nizoral three times a week for two weeks, but today I wanted to use my sls-free shampoo, just because I was getting itchies from the Nizoral and thought maybe I was drying out my scalp. Today though, I smell that smell. That . . . I don't know if it's sebum, dandruff, whatever, but that "scalp smell" when you have flakes and it's pretty strong, and I just washed today, so I wouldn't think it would be oil. Does this mean I need to stick with Nizoral, what all do you think?

Panth
October 27th, 2014, 01:46 AM
IIRC, you're only supposed to use Nizoral (as per the packaging) twice a week. So, you might be able to tolerate the SLS in it better if you follow the instructions.

Also, I don't know if you've been doing this, but you need to massage the shampoo/bubbles to the scalp then leave it on for 5 minutes before rinsing. It won't work properly if you just rinse it off immediately like normal shampoo.

lapushka
October 27th, 2014, 07:00 AM
IIRC, you're only supposed to use Nizoral (as per the packaging) twice a week. So, you might be able to tolerate the SLS in it better if you follow the instructions.

Didn't you just in another thread say every two days? :hmm:

My instruction leaflet says two washings a week. I can get away with once a week. No problem. But then this is after years of usage and dealing with a chronic issue.

kelseyxface
October 27th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Well usually when people go SLS free for the first time your scalp will actually over produce oil for the first week or two because it's used to the SLS stripping the hair. Once it figures out that it's not being stripped any more it balances out. Then again I don't know if you've used SLS free shampoo often before this, but that's my two cents on the matter. c:

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Yes I'm using it every two days, 7 days per week, that's three times a week. My wash sched is like this SUn/Tuesday and Friday. I have been leaving it on for the five minutes and I had no problem with the itchies (from the product itself) until after this Friday, so maybe I need to use a different shampoo on one of my wash days??? Like an Sls-free poo, or maybe a less harsh SLS poo?? What do you all think?? so maybe my scalp overproduced oil is what Kelsey, you are saying??? Maybe that's it. I wasn't full of flakes, per say, but that smell, that we all know too well, that's what I noticed. But how do I deal with my third wash day, a different product?? I have many!!

Panth
October 27th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Didn't you just in another thread say every two days? :hmm:

Yup, I did (though I did say I was going by memory).

However, I've got another bout, and so another bottle of Nizoral. And I checked. And, yes, you were right and I was wrong - it's twice a week not every two days.

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 12:44 PM
So Panth, for someone like me, what's a good trade off, if I use Nizoral twice a week (woopsy me, that went overboard). . .. what should I use in the 3rd day wash, a SLS-free, another, less harsh SLS poo (which I know of NONE), or what would be good?

lapushka
October 27th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Yup, I did (though I did say I was going by memory).

However, I've got another bout, and so another bottle of Nizoral. And I checked. And, yes, you were right and I was wrong - it's twice a week not every two days.

Hey, everyone can make a mistake at some point and be wrong about something. Don't worry about it! :flower: :D

lapushka
October 27th, 2014, 01:49 PM
So Panth, for someone like me, what's a good trade off, if I use Nizoral twice a week (woopsy me, that went overboard). . .. what should I use in the 3rd day wash, a SLS-free, another, less harsh SLS poo (which I know of NONE), or what would be good?

I know the question was directed @Panth, but if you don't mind I'll answer too. ;) Can you stretch your washes, at all? Not that I think it's necessarily good to do with SD, because it isn't, but because you're complaining of scalp dryness.

Panth
October 27th, 2014, 02:05 PM

I know the question was directed @Panth, but if you don't mind I'll answer too. ;) Can you stretch your washes, at all? Not that I think it's necessarily good to do with SD, because it isn't, but because you're complaining of scalp dryness.

Yeah, like lapushka said, it's going to be a trade-off between your dry scalp and the SD. The instructions on the Nizoral bottle say that if you need/want to wash more than twice a week, use your usual shampoo for the in-between washes. Overwashing (particularly with harsher cleansers) has the potential to aggravate the dry scalp, but stretching washes has potential to aggravate the SD.

I guess experiment?

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I could, but like I said before, I exercise 5 days a week, so it's a trade off of leaving more sweat for my SD critters or washing more frequently. I get wrapped up in this "What's more beneficial, what do I do type of thing" Also, when I do SLS-free shampoo, it's always been diluted, so maybe that's just not enough. And now I'm avoiding oils, but would pre-oiling to my hair, not scalp, still be beneficial for the hair?

Panth
October 27th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I could, but like I said before, I exercise 5 days a week, so it's a trade off of leaving more sweat for my SD critters or washing more frequently. I get wrapped up in this "What's more beneficial, what do I do type of thing" Also, when I do SLS-free shampoo, it's always been diluted, so maybe that's just not enough. And now I'm avoiding oils, but would pre-oiling to my hair, not scalp, still be beneficial for the hair?

Yeah, if you add exercise (and sweating) into the equation, then it's really going to be a matter of trade-off. I'm afraid no one can tell you what will be best for your specific situation (other than that the medicated shampoo needs to be used at the correct intervals). You're just going to have to try things.

Theoretically, oil in your hair is not going to aggravate SD provided it stays on the hair and not on the scalp. So, yes, in theory at least that might be fine. Whether it'll be beneficial for your hair is another thing - again, YMMV. It'll depend on the oil, the amount, the application method, your hair, the rest of your routine, etc., etc., etc.

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks Panth and Lapushka, so if I have to wash three times a week, try my SLs-free diluted shampoo??? Funny thing is that I used that yesterday and that's what gave me the funk smell. I have no problem not diluting it, but I do that because I like to apply my shampoo with a "hair-dye bottle" because that helps me get the product directly on my scalp. I can try and see if it comes out of that bottle without being diluted, maybe that was the issue, but for the scalp smell to overpower my shampoo smell (raspberry fragrance) obviously it wasn't powerful enough, huh? Yes today my scalp feels better, glad we got it all clarified on the "frequency" of Nizoral, I was getting too Nizoral happy!

spidermom
October 27th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Scalp smell for me develops just behind my ears. I have to be careful to wash thoroughly back there; maybe you should also.

arr
October 27th, 2014, 02:45 PM
There is such a thing as Smelly Scalp Syndrome that doctors think may be caused by overabundance of yeast, fungus or bacteria. It may be caused by antibiotics throwing off the body's natural balance. Im not a doctor so obviously cant say what you are dealing with but if it continues to trouble you, you can read about it online. But i do hope it is a simple thing that will be resolved by the advice already given here.

lapushka
October 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks Panth and Lapushka, so if I have to wash three times a week, try my SLs-free diluted shampoo??? Funny thing is that I used that yesterday and that's what gave me the funk smell. I have no problem not diluting it, but I do that because I like to apply my shampoo with a "hair-dye bottle" because that helps me get the product directly on my scalp. I can try and see if it comes out of that bottle without being diluted, maybe that was the issue, but for the scalp smell to overpower my shampoo smell (raspberry fragrance) obviously it wasn't powerful enough, huh? Yes today my scalp feels better, glad we got it all clarified on the "frequency" of Nizoral, I was getting too Nizoral happy!

No, use your sulfate-free shampoo, but for Goodness' sake don't dilute it. Sulfate-free is "weaker" already (not good with SD) and if you're going to dilute that... just not a good idea. Use it, but full-strength. That's what I would do, anyway!

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I hope it will come out full strength through that "dye" bottle, any experiences with that? I just love that, putting the shampoo in a "dye" bottle, because it goes directly in, not just on top of hair, but right on the scalp, but if it's full strenght it will be thicker, harder to get out no?? Any ideas??

lapushka
October 27th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I hope it will come out full strength through that "dye" bottle, any experiences with that? I just love that, putting the shampoo in a "dye" bottle, because it goes directly in, not just on top of hair, but right on the scalp, but if it's full strenght it will be thicker, harder to get out no?? Any ideas??

None, but keep trying it out. The experimenting is up to *you*, and we all went through stages like these. :)