PDA

View Full Version : Deep waves

Elainehali
September 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I just finished writing and article on how to make deep waves like the ones below.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/elainehali/9-1.jpg

Very hard to discribe in words, but I think the pics did the trick.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

WritingPrincess
September 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Thank you for the article, Elainehali. I must try that soon, much more even waves and (in my opinion) a nicer look that braid waves.

ETA: How wide are your sections of cloth?

Flaxen
September 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Those waves are stunning! :cloud9: What a clever method that is, too; good job. :smile:

AprilElf
September 25th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Great method and gorgeous waves! Well done. :flower:

lirael
September 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Those waves are incredible! I have similar hair and I just washed it, so I'm going to try this tonight.

kunibob
September 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM
This is SO GORGEOUS! I've bookmarked it for future reference. Thank you so much for this article! :)

GlennaGirl
September 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
These are GORGEOUS. I'm going to have to try these when my hair gets a little bit longer.

I love your hair, BTW...I have bangs too and our color is really similar.

AnneAdeline
September 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Oh, these waves look amazing. I'll have to try it, since my hair doesn't like braid waves. (With braids, just the middle section gets wavy.)

ChatoyantLocks
September 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
That is so cool! I think this may be the wave making technique that I have been looking for! :joy:I have some natural wave to my hair, but wanted to be able to experiment with adding more wave, without getting banana curls.

I actually kind of like the photo where the fabric is still wrapped in the hair, too. With a little tweaking, it would look kind of like a renaissance style!

manderly
September 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
That. Is. AWESOME.

I LOVE those waves........exactly the look I love the most! I will definitely have to try this, your directions are awesome! Thank you so much for this :D

CurlyNinja
September 25th, 2008, 07:49 PM
What a smart idea! Your hair looks gorgeous like this too, and I'm sure this will be very helpful to a lot of people.

Addy
September 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM
If only my hair were longer... If Only! If Only! If Only!! :D

I would definately give this a whirl! It looks uniform!

JessTheMess
September 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Wow!! Your waves look amazing!!! I MUST Try this:cheese:

Silver & Gold
September 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

yogachic
September 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Those are beautiful waves. Running off to read the article now.

ladyshannonanne
September 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
That is SOOOO cool! I can't wait until I have enough length to try this!

Anlbe
September 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
excellent, I'm going to try it tomorrow night for a wedding on Saturday, will let you know how I get on

Longlove
September 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Finally! A good use for my ex-husbands expensive sock collection!!!

coppercurls
September 25th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Those are some beautiful waves & you are so clever to come up with such a great idea!;)

Ven
September 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Those waves are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing! I will be giving this method a try.

~Ven

Vitalai
September 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! Very clever idea. Thank you for sharing! :flower: I'm saving this for the future, when my hair is a bit longer.

Aicha
September 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Wow, those are beautiful waves! I will definitely be trying your technique this weekend. I'll report back with my results...

Thanks for sharing such a cool idea!

cicada
September 26th, 2008, 12:16 AM
These waves are great. I will definitely try this when I wash my hair next (tomorrow.)

maskedrose
September 26th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Oh so pretty! The look holds a bit of a 1920's feel - I love it!! I'm definitely going to have to try this :)

Angellen
September 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Wow. Those are rather stunning. :shock:

That is so cool!

<snip>

I actually kind of like the photo where the fabric is still wrapped in the hair, too. With a little tweaking, it would look kind of like a renaissance style!

I do too! I thought it looked very pretty...kind of like an inverse ribbon braid or something. Neat nonetheless! Thanks for sharing, I'm excited about trying them!!

Dientje
September 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM
This is incredible! This is what I've been looking for! I really don't like not to be able to get the braid waves all the way to the end of my hair. I'm so going to try this tonight!
*hurrying off to search for strips of cloth*
Thank you so much!

Arctic
September 26th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Stunning waves! Thanks for the instructions! :flowers:

Arctic
September 26th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Angellen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatoyantLocks http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=281297#post281297)
That is so cool!

<snip>

I do too! I thought it looked very pretty...kind of like an inverse ribbon braid or something. Neat nonetheless! Thanks for sharing, I'm excited about trying them!!

My thoughts exactly :D It reminds me of shepherd lady in an idyllic novel...

Elphie
September 26th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Beautiful waves on beautiful hair! Thanks for the tip!

Awalia
September 26th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I cant wait to try this one out! Thanks :)

LadyMoon11
September 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM
YAY!
Thank you so much for posting this! :happydance:
I am always on the lookout for new ways to try to get waves, and this looks perfect. What a creative and wonderful idea.
Your hair is so beautiful, btw. And I also like the way the strips of fabric look IN the hair :D

Thank you, thank you! I will be trying this soon!

Vivien'
September 26th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Interesting :) I'll give a try one day. Gorgeous hair, by the way !

winter_star
September 26th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Ooohhhh this is gorgeous! Thank you for posting. I will definatly be trying this style very soon. I also really love the way the hair looks when it's wrapped in all that fabric.

FrannyG
September 26th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Just gorgeous. That is definitely on my to-do list this weekend. Thank you for the tutorial. :blossom:

mugglemomof3
September 26th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I sound like a broken record!! How utterly cool - can't wait to try this - thank you so much for sharing - you're so creative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heartbeat

Now I can't wait to get home tonight!

Amara
September 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Very nice! Clever girl!

bunnii
September 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I love it!! Only problem now is that I have to make a new folder under hair in my favourites for awesome styles :D

anna1850
September 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM
This method looks really good. I must try it at some point. Braid waves look really bad on me but hopefully these could work.

TambourineDream
September 26th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I love it!! Only problem now is that I have to make a new folder under hair in my favourites for awesome styles

LOL me too!!
Those waves are amazing!! They looks so full and bouncy!! I SO can't wait until my layers have grown out a bit more so that I can pull this off without looking like I had an accident with curling irons :/

Gumball
September 26th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Wow! Those waves look gorgeous and the instructions for them are really simple. The size of the waves looks really great.

Lady Jane
September 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
They look much more comfortable to sleep in (and even cuter!) than hair rollers. I am going to try this one soon!

Fillette
September 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Wow, this is awesome. I can't wait to try this. Thank you for the cool instructions too!!!

Magdalene
September 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Awesome instructions! I'm going to try this for my next '30's show!

xrosiex
September 26th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Oh what beautiful waves. I think I'm gonna try this really soon. Thanks for the instructions. Great Job!!!!

Nes
September 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Wow! Thanks so much i'm so gonna try this!

Nes x

Mary <><
September 26th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Oh WOW! That looks AWESOME! You did a great job, really! Very beautiful! Thanks for the instructions!

Elainehali
September 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM

lols.. yeah I used to use socks when my hair was shorter. Socks work pretty well!

Thanks all for the complements. I'm glad my instructions were understandable.

:cheese:

mellie
September 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Wow, gorgeous!! I want to try! But I don't understand what to do...it looks like there's more than just one piece of fabric on each hair section - is it really just one?

Elainehali
September 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
yeah it's just one long strip. You have half the strip on one side, and half on the other.

Then you're basically braiding with the two sides of the strip and your hair strand.

Longlove
September 26th, 2008, 07:35 PM
yeah it's just one long strip. You have half the strip on one side, and half on the other.

Then you're basically braiding with the two sides of the strip and your hair strand.

I'd describe it more as winding the hair in a figure-8 around the two strips rather than braiding it.

I've gotten similar results winding my hair in a figure-8 around scrunchies. I'm anxious to try this new technique!!!

mellie
September 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hm, I think I understand, but I sure wish someone could come show me! :-)

anna1850
September 27th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Here is my attempt that I did overnight.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff184/anna2239/DeepWavesPractice1.jpg

My hair was a bit greasy but I thought I'd give it a try and I think it worked pretty well. As you can see it's slightly messed up on the right hand side (my left) because I messed up the top somehow.

I did it with spraying water with a bit of aloe vera gel instead of washing it and waiting until it's almost dry. And I only used 4 rags and I might try it with 6 next time.

But I think it worked really well actually. I like the look a lot more than braid waves. It kind of reminds me of sort of actresses in the 1940s (like Veronica Lake or something) and I think I'll definitely try it again this week. I might start the waves slightly lower though as I don't really like having waves/curls above my ears.

So thanks for the method Elainehali. This might mean I can wear my hair down more often :)

mellie
September 27th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Wow, Anna1850, that is gorgeous!!!

Nat242
September 27th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I love this idea - the results are so gorgeous!

anna1850
September 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Wow, Anna1850, that is gorgeous!!!

Thanks :) I have to add that I've been wearing it down for a few hours now and it doesn't look like the picture any more because it's fluffed out slightly. Although I like how it looks now because it just looks like really natural waves. I suppose with a gel or something I could keep the defined look longer. But this looks soo much better than braid waves which always looked really really odd on me.

WavyGirl
September 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM
That's a nice article, very clear instructions. Your hair looks beautiful. I'm another one that thinks you could wear it with the material in and call it a 'do. I'm gonna have to try this one. Thanks.

mugglemomof3
September 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I tried two different sections last night with two different types of material. A silky type and a t-shirt material type. I really like both sides!

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z29/mugglemomof3/hair/waveexperiment.jpg
silky material----------------------------------------t-shirt material

This is going to be a great way to get wonderful waves. Thank you again for sharing the technique with us!!!!! :heartbeat

Jean_Grey
September 27th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks for this article. My hair looks weird with braid waves. I'm anxious to try it. :)

brunette
September 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Wow I agree, gorgeous waves! Thank you for inventing this and sharing it with us!
I will be trying it, I rarely wear my natural waves down and when I do they are all messed up from my bun! I'll use this for whenever I want proper waves to wear in public :)
x

Tressie
September 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
You are SO clever!! Wow! The directions are very clear and the results are fabulous! Thanks for sharing this with us! (o:
P.S. I have a LOT of scarves and I may try this tonight!

lapushka
September 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
It looks amazingly beautiful! Well done!

I've bookmarked your article! Thanks so much for this!

RoseRedDead
September 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
That's amazing. I like that so much better than braidwaves. Thank you!

gallows_gallery
September 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
They are absolutely stunning!

My hair is really straight and refuses to curl - I can leave those bendable foam sticks in over night and within two hours of taking them out nearly all the curl will be gone.

I MUST try this. I've bookmarked it :)

Yvette

Elainehali
September 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'd describe it more as winding the hair in a figure-8 around the two strips rather than braiding it.

I've gotten similar results winding my hair in a figure-8 around scrunchies. I'm anxious to try this new technique!!!

I thought about mentioning the figure-8 pattern, but somehow I thought it would get confused with the bun =P but yes, it is a figure-8 pattern

oh and the two of you who've tried it out did really well!

Delila
September 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
What size fabric pieces are you using?

(love this look!)

Mary <><
September 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM
OK, I did this today and LOVED it! That is until I finger combed it. (((POOF))) Next time I will not touch it and take a pic! I used DH white hanes socks, btw! Thanks for this excellent tip!

longingforlocks
September 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Those waves are absolutely luscious. I can't wait until my hair is long enough to try something like that. Generally speaking, would it need to be at least waist-length in order for the waves to come out like that?

atlantaz3
September 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I'm going to have to play and try this.

Mary <><
September 27th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Those waves are absolutely luscious. I can't wait until my hair is long enough to try something like that. Generally speaking, would it need to be at least waist-length in order for the waves to come out like that?

Not for me it didn't! Mine is only 23"! They really looked JUST like that (only brown instead of red) until I finger combed it. I think it also really played up the shine a lot. I will take pics next time.

Juneii
September 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I can't tell you how much I adore you right now :] I've been really bored with my braid waves lately and I can't wait to try this out! like right now! thank you so so so much!

angelthadiva
September 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM

This really cracked me up! If I hadn't burned/ripped/othewise disposed of "his" this would be a good use for them! :lol:

A while back I scored some extra long scarves on the swap board...I think they will be perfect for this...I'm still a little unclear on the technique, so I'm going to have to play with it to see if I figure it out...

Do you wrap or are you actually braiding? :confused:

Juneii
September 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM
This really cracked me up! If I hadn't burned/ripped/othewise disposed of "his" this would be a good use for them! :lol:

A while back I scored some extra long scarves on the swap board...I think they will be perfect for this...I'm still a little unclear on the technique, so I'm going to have to play with it to see if I figure it out...

I think what she did was do a figure eight/infinity between the two strips of cloth... don't know how to explain it exactly but..

EDIT: okay I just got the word I was looking for. "weave" so pretty much you weave your hair between the two strips of cloth :D I hope that makes better sense

anna1850
September 28th, 2008, 03:34 AM

It's sort of wrapping/weaving. I'll try and describe it:
1. Put material over the top of hair section so the material hangs down with half on each side. Don't bother tieing the material to the hair.
2. Wrap the hair once around the left strand of the material.
3. Wrap the hair once around the right strand of the material.
4. Repeat 2-3 until finished.
5. Tie ends of material together.

I don't know if that's any clearer really but I think the easiest way to do it is to try it. It's not like braiding as the material secions never move, just the hair section goes between them in a kind of 8 pattern.

mugglemomof3
September 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
It's sort of wrapping/weaving. I'll try and describe it:
1. Put material over the top of hair section so the material hangs down with half on each side. Don't bother tieing the material to the hair.
2. Wrap the hair once around the left strand of the material.
3. Wrap the hair once around the right strand of the material.
4. Repeat 2-3 until finished.
5. Tie ends of material together.

I don't know if that's any clearer really but I think the easiest way to do it is to try it. It's not like braiding as the material secions never move, just the hair section goes between them in a kind of 8 pattern.

That is a perfect written set of instructions!!!

Anlbe
September 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I tried this for the wedding I was at yesterday. It worked wonderfully. I only used three strips of material and only left them in for five hours. It created big deep smooth and shiny waves which are still vaguely there today. Such a good technique, thank you!
Also I particularly like that unlike curlers, or normal ragging it's very comfortable to sleep on at night and during the day can easily be wrapped under a turban.

angelthadiva
September 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I dug out the strips I had thought about using, and washed my hair this AM...It's currently more than 90&#37; dry, but I will mist it tonight and wrap/weave it tonight...I think I have the technique down (in my mind at least).

Will update w/pics tomorrow...That is if it's pic worthy. :D

Thanks for the extra instructions! :flower:

Seraphina
September 28th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Gorgeous ! Can't wait to try it : )

Arctic_Mama
September 29th, 2008, 01:31 AM
It looks great and I think it was very clear and easy to understand. I'd just edit to give the width/length of the fabric used, or if it makes any difference at all.

Xanthippe
September 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM
This is so cool! Thank you for sharing Elainehali. I was just thinking about how I would wear my hair for a formal that's coming up, and I think I'll experiment with this method!

HotRag
September 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Oh, so clever.

I must try this sometime.
I have straight hair that wont be curled very easy, and when succeeded, it uses to get toooo big (or a lot of cork screws).
This method seems like something that would suit me and my hair.

Thank you for making that article!

twilight_faerie
September 30th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Wow, this is incredible! It looks so perfect...and you don't even need to use hot tools.

I think I may try it sometime after this Thursday, after I get my organic chem test out of the way so I actually have free time to fool around with my hair.

manderly
September 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
It looks great and I think it was very clear and easy to understand. I'd just edit to give the width/length of the fabric used, or if it makes any difference at all.

Apparently it does. I attempted with a bathrobe belt because I didn't have any fabric strips. The waves were tight and small, even though I only did it in 2 sections (pigtails).

I need to find some fatter fabric.

mugglemomof3
October 1st, 2008, 05:18 PM
Apparently it does. I attempted with a bathrobe belt because I didn't have any fabric strips. The waves were tight and small, even though I only did it in 2 sections (pigtails).

I need to find some fatter fabric.

I agree. I've done it twice with the same "silky" type material but using different amounts of hair, and both times turned out way too small. The one section I did up there with a fat material turned out much better.

(last night's attempt is my new profile pic)

I'll try some fleece tonight!

HazelnutDelight
October 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
That is a great look. I have to try this someday! I wish I was as clever to come up with a new style.

brok3nwings
October 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Oh thank you for that great idea!!! I really love the look and i didnt know how to achieve it :)

Haith
October 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I'm looking forward to trying this. Those waves are Gorgeous!

cicada
October 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM
This is second time I created deep waves with your technique. Thank you very much for this very easy and convenient method! You should see my hair waves. Great!

willowcandra
October 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I really like those waves. And the aarticle is very clear thankyou. I will have to try this out some time. Would make a nice change to braid waves.

Starr
October 7th, 2008, 01:27 AM
How pretty! *sigh* But I doubt that it would work for my hair.

longinthehair
October 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Wow - tried this after washing hair last night..was still damp - used three scarfs. Slept on it no problem. Beautiful soft curling this morning! So much so, wore hair down (with half-up) to and at work all day! Didn't want to hide them, the curls were so pretty.
And I still have some awesome waving going on, even after all day. Love the type of curl it gives. Didn't want to go to my exercise class, for fear of losing the rest of the waves. Sheesh - this is so easy and successful. Love it. Thank you so much! Now must refine the scarves I'm going to use. Two of them are great..one was a little long. Must go fuss with them now.

brok3nwings
October 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Love it Love it Love it! The best thing is that it isnt damaging to your hair!! I have two questions
How do you make it hold at the beginning? I tried one and it seams to go down into the midle lenght...
Do you start the first wave always to the same side to make the hair all even or you dont even think about it?
This is great! I will try it right away :)

manderly
October 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM
brok3nwings, it seems that if you just make the first weaves snug the fabric doesn't budge.

Ok, after some thought I finally had a eureka as to what I could use for my fabric strips! Being broke makes it hard to go buy fabric to curl your hair :silly:

I pulled out an old longsleeved tshirt of my BFs that I had in a donation bag. Cut the long sleeves off, cut off the seaming and cut them in half lenghtwise (so I ended up with 4 long strips). These worked great! May be a little too short for some people, a little long and bulky for others, but on my APL-ish hair they worked great :)

And the waves weren't teeny weeny and too tight like my first attempt. Love this technique!

Elainehali
October 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Do you start the first wave always to the same side to make the hair all even or you dont even think about it?

I don't give it a moments thought. Maybe try it both ways and see it it makes a difference.

=D I'm really glad that ya'll use this idea and that it's working!

The waves just look so unique. I've never seen someone with this kind of wave pattern naturally.

Boudicca
October 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Those are gorgeous, glossy waves! Very Veronica Lake!

If you do this from high up on the scalp, will it wave right from the root - to give added volume?

Elainehali
October 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Those are gorgeous, glossy waves! Very Veronica Lake!

If you do this from high up on the scalp, will it wave right from the root - to give added volume?

I dont see why not. =D It may not be as tidy looking though. Try it out.

Magdalene
October 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
What's the consensus on the best fabric to use? Since my hair dries very slowly in braids I'm tempted to cut up a chamois towel (but I hate to waste it if it won't work well!)

Treecrown
October 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Just wanted to say thank you! I tried this the other day and it looked so pretty! My hair used to be much wavier and I miss the waves. This is an easy, comfortable, reliable way to get nice waves....I love it!

Miss World
December 29th, 2008, 12:55 AM
this is fantastic! :D thank you! I'll give it a try! :D

talecon
December 29th, 2008, 01:06 AM
wow so pretty, I luv it :)

Michiru
January 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I love that! I've bookmarked the instructions.

Earelia
March 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I think I just found exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to try this tonight, thank you!

Old post, I know. :)

AnqeIicDemise
March 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I've been meaning to try this since I found the article a few months ago. I think I found it under 'bandana waves'. I don't know why I didn't think *any* other type of cloth would work and since I am sans bandanas, I never tried.

I think I shall try them this Wednesday and see how it goes!

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 03:39 AM
My haie waves naturally but I love the waves youve produced really romantic looking.

cicada
August 24th, 2016, 12:37 AM
I could not find the article in the article section. Can anybody redirect me to the old post?

Arctic
August 24th, 2016, 01:18 AM
I could not find the article in the article section. Can anybody redirect me to the old post?

All the old articles and lot of other stuff has vanished with site crashes over time, unfortunately. BUT fear not, here's the article you want, found at the internet archives. https://web.archive.org/web/20091230223341/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

cicada
August 25th, 2016, 02:28 AM
All the old articles and lot of other stuff has vanished with site crashes over time, unfortunately. BUT fear not, here's the article you want, found at the internet archives. https://web.archive.org/web/20091230223341/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

Thank you so much Arctic :) I really appreciate it.

littlestarface
August 25th, 2016, 03:06 AM

Thanks for finding it, I so wanna try this out.

Horrorpops
August 25th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Arctic you're a legend! Those waves are to die for :o thanks for sharing the article!

Arctic
August 25th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Thank you so much Arctic :) I really appreciate it.

Thanks for finding it, I so wanna try this out.

Arctic you're a legend! Those waves are to die for :o thanks for sharing the article!

You are welcome! I remembered the article well, I probably could have described the technique myself if the old article wouldn't have been archived :D

meteor
August 25th, 2016, 02:23 PM
This has always been one of my favorite heat-free styling techniques. :D (I learned it from the Rapunzel Resource: https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/bandana-waves/)
It's really comfy to sleep on and safe for long hair (i.e. low chance of tangling, compared to many other curling methods). I haven't done this in ages, so I don't know if I can find scarves long enough for this to still work my current length (past mid-thigh), but I think I can tie a couple scarves together, too, to make it work, if it's not too heavy... :hmm:

Online, this is often called "figure-8 waves" or "bandana waves".
There are many YouTube videos on this method, for visual learners ;) : for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMH2llkrXE or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnasZvqPh8Q

PixieP
August 25th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Oh I need to try this! This even looks like something I could sleep in! Thanks for finding it Arctic!

PixieP
August 25th, 2016, 03:09 PM
This has always been one of my favorite heat-free styling techniques. :D (I learned it from the Rapunzel Resource: https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/bandana-waves/)
It's really comfy to sleep on and safe for long hair (i.e. low chance of tangling, compared to many other curling methods). I haven't done this in ages, so I don't know if I can find scarves long enough for this to still work my current length (past mid-thigh), but I think I can tie a couple scarves together, too, to make it work, if it's not too heavy... :hmm:

Online, this is often called "figure-8 waves" or "bandana waves".
There are many YouTube videos on this method, for visual learners ;) : for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMH2llkrXE or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnasZvqPh8Q

You could always buy a coule of cheap sheets and cut into strips too :)

meteor
August 25th, 2016, 03:21 PM
You could always buy a coule of cheap sheets and cut into strips too :)

Thanks! :) I thought of that, but I'd have to deal with stitching edges/"hems"(?) or somehow avoid those little fibers sticking out, potentially separating and getting stuck in hair... It's the same issue as with all types of "rag curls"... I'll need to think about how to deal with that :)

PixieP
August 25th, 2016, 03:24 PM
It depends on the fabric though, fleece fabric for examply doesn't shed fibers, and it's pretty cheap.

meteor
August 25th, 2016, 05:10 PM
^ Thanks a lot, PixieP! :D
I just try to avoid all lint producing materials.

Using 2 gift wrappers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMqWyD6u3HM) or magazine pages (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecOO4S1g8hs) and tying them at one end with an elastic should work well, I would imagine, because I could also tape a few together to lengthen the "roller" to accommodate more hair... :hmm: Hmm, I'll need to try that, though it would be much harder to sleep on those compared to silky scarves...

I forgot to mention, figure-8 waves work really well with Flexi rods / bendy rollers, too - they produce really smooth, defined results. One just needs to tie 2 flexi rods together with an elastic and then start wrapping the hair in figure 8 fashion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-ubwrqrwg). Also, it gives an opportunity to continue using those bendy rollers even after the hair outgrows them for regular "spiral curls" purposes (because the 2-roller figure-8 setup eats up twice as much length as one roller does) ;)

Robot Ninja
August 25th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Thanks! :) I thought of that, but I'd have to deal with stitching edges/"hems"(?) or somehow avoid those little fibers sticking out, potentially separating and getting stuck in hair... It's the same issue as with all types of "rag curls"... I'll need to think about how to deal with that :)

Use a knit fabric. You can probably find some in the remnant bin at your local fabric store.

Temme
August 29th, 2016, 06:20 AM
First day of school waves!
https://s22.postimg.org/y40eo27jl/image.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/6tf3g54ml/)forum image hosting (https://postimage.org/)
It's not as graceful as the original, but I like it.

Arctic
August 29th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Super pretty Temme!

PixieP
September 14th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I'm going out tomorrow (I got invited to a girls night!) and I really wanna try these. But I'm wondering if they'll set enough if I do them tomorrow morning. I have a hard time sleeping with anything "extra" in my hair (parandas work, but that's the only thing I've been able to sleep in, all other heatless curl thingies... Ugh, no.) and I really need a good nights sleep tonight.

meteor
September 14th, 2016, 01:22 PM
It looks great, Temme! :applause

I'm going out tomorrow (I got invited to a girls night!) and I really wanna try these. But I'm wondering if they'll set enough if I do them tomorrow morning. I have a hard time sleeping with anything "extra" in my hair (parandas work, but that's the only thing I've been able to sleep in, all other heatless curl thingies... Ugh, no.) and I really need a good nights sleep tonight.

They are pretty comfy to sleep on (I'd compare them to paranda/scarf braids), but if you know for sure that you don't want to try this overnight, just use some gel or mousse or styling cream or hairspray for a bit of hold and leave the bandannas/scarves on for a few hours, if you can. If your hair takes damp-setting/heat-free curls easily, it should work... :)

PixieP
September 14th, 2016, 03:32 PM
My hair takes braid waves very quick, and I figure this is quite similar. Was thinking of mixing some aloe gel with a bit of water and running my hands over them after putting them up, and then hairspray after taking it down again.

What kind of fabric did you end up using for yours, meteor?

meteor
September 14th, 2016, 03:45 PM
^ I haven't had a chance to wear hair down since this thread resurfaced, sorry, PixieP :oops: Last time I did these figure-8/bandanna waves my hair was much, much shorter. Kind of sad, but I don't have many opportunities to wear hair down at this length comfortably... But I'll just use silky smooth scarves if I try it again.

Aloe gel and hairspray sound really good for adding hold. Do you hairspray only after the take-down? I tried using hairspray right before putting hair in "rollers"/bandannas/etc or while the hair is still in "rollers", then covering with silky scarf/bonnet and it helped, but I'm not sure if it's better to do this after for better hold? :hmm: I'm not really a hairspray user, so I don't know what sequence is optimal...

PixieP
September 14th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Well it kinda depends on the hairspray you have. Some are designed to be more flexible and to be used before putting hair in curlers, but the one I have now is an "extreme hold" so if I spray that in my hair before rolling or braiding it, my hair runs a severe risk of breaking, or it'll stuck together like glue. So this one is much better to use after taking it down, spraying lightly over my hair and then flipping upside down and spraying the underside. It's not as optimal as a flexible one before doing the curling process, but it's what I have right now!

meteor
September 14th, 2016, 04:24 PM
^ Ah, that makes sense! :thumbsup: I've only used the lighter hold ones, same goes to gels... Thanks a lot, PixieP! :D