PDA

View Full Version : second day curls--anyone willing to post pics!

mamaherrera
October 26th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to post a pic of my curls before and after bed, so you can see how limp and "NO VOLUME" I have after sleeping in a braid with my curls. It's disgusting, and I don't know if anyone else has any ideas for reviving these limp clumps. It's incredible how after a wash, I have all this "poof" beautiful clumps, obviously filled with mostly air, and then I braid it, and instantly it's just dead. I have less volume than people with straight fine hair, and my clumps are just sad, skinny little snakes around my head. Others say they get more volume on day 2 and 3, I don't know what they're talking about. If anyone else is willing to share "out-of-bed" curls, thanks, but for sure, check out my pics tomorrow. Right now i Have henna on my head, so not today!

lapushka
October 26th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I'd no longer braid it, but pineapple it on top of your head.

Chocowalnut
October 26th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I have this same problem.. So I'll usually wear it up on day 2 or rewash it

fiğrildi
October 26th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Do you use a silk sleeping cap? That could help! Just pineapple all of your hair inside the cap (don't braid it), and you'll wake up with almost the same hair and curls as the nigth before ;)

allierat
October 26th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I agree with the pineappling. Also, try spraying it with a bit of water and scrunching it up when you get out of bed.

Beckstar
October 26th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Silk bonnet. I get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th day curls. Day 6 is up and day 7 is wash day. I'll post some pictures later.

brooke_kawaii
October 26th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Guess I'm a newbie, but what does pineappling mean?

Kina
October 26th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Chen Bao Jun gave me the following tip, which has eliminated this problem for me. At night, spray my hair with water, lightly oil, then a little gel, clip up. I literally have more volume when I get up than when I went to bed.

Kina
October 26th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Guess I'm a newbie, but what does pineappling mean?

this (http://www.wikihow.com/Put-Curly-Hair-in-a-Pineapple-for-Second-Day-Hair)

although I clip instead of ponytail, also, I don't leave my hair loose, it's in the clip, dunno how else to describe it.

Kina
October 26th, 2014, 05:32 PM
this is how my hair typically looks in the morning:
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/994457_1446198065644661_205969312626337467_n.jpg?o h=4606ea7830f2cb893a49fed203301c88&oe=54B07312

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/10405439_1446195118978289_8035828385581022689_n.jp g?oh=0fcf427d2c4fa20303d5d7726e52f11b&oe=54AEB175

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Hey thanks for all the sharing, I will put mine up tomorrow, but I"m not as good as you all in getting pictures posted here, might be a link. Pineappling, kind of bothers my head, my hairs don't like going in that direction and I have a silk bonnet, but the elastic just bugs me, I know. .. . . sensitive scalp. ANy good recs for a no-elastic bonnet?? Also, with the "clip thing" for bed, I'm struggling to know how you clip it without the clip pulling hair at night, but you actually had gel and oil and water, and with oil in your hair, you get "MORE" volume?? wow! My hair gets weighed down so easily, I don't know why.

LadyCelestina
October 27th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Honestly based by those issues you mention in various threads...I think your problem might be more about general negativity towards your hair...Maybe putting it up and focusing on something different for a while would help you more than a different hairdo?

Kina
October 27th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Hey thanks for all the sharing, I will put mine up tomorrow, but I"m not as good as you all in getting pictures posted here, might be a link. Pineappling, kind of bothers my head, my hairs don't like going in that direction and I have a silk bonnet, but the elastic just bugs me, I know. .. . . sensitive scalp. ANy good recs for a no-elastic bonnet?? Also, with the "clip thing" for bed, I'm struggling to know how you clip it without the clip pulling hair at night, but you actually had gel and oil and water, and with oil in your hair, you get "MORE" volume?? wow! My hair gets weighed down so easily, I don't know why.

I'm VERY tender headed (meaning that my scalp is very sensitive to pulling) and my hair is fine and frizzy. Oiling my hair seemed counter intuitive, but it helps to keep the frizz down. I only oil from the ears down, not near my scalp. When I was growing up I was taught that my hair was terrible, and it was always frizzed out, or weighed down with an oily scalp, because I was taught to wash it every day. Now, I only wash my scalp with shampoo maybe 1 x per week, if that. I rinse it out with plain water and conditioner from the ears down maybe twice a week. The less I do to my scalp, the happier it is.

I don't use a silk bonnet, I use silk pillow cases instead. I sleep with my upper body slightly elevated (a habit I developed after having shoulder surgery) and I have to have enough pillow to support the clip, or it will pull (you know you are a long hair when you need a separate pillow for your hair, lol).

I understand how you feel about your hair, I spent many years feeling the same way, my family (and this is not a diss at them, they are good people) used to tease me about my hair, they called me Tres Pellos (3 hairs), like they teased my sister about her teeth, or the other one about her eyebrows. They just didn't know how to deal with the combination of textures that I have, my mom is super curly, in the 4's, as is the rest of her family. My dad had 1a hair, so we got combinations, neither side knew how to deal with it. I learned how to manage it when I got sick of it and permed it. I started following the curly girl method, before I knew it had that name and when the perm grew out, my hair stayed the same texture, the curl encouraged by following the appropriate care.

Sorry for the book.

In any case, try leaving your scalp alone, any treatments applied from the ears down and be gentle with yourself. Your hair will get to where you want it to be, with time and learning what works for it. :flower:

lapushka
October 27th, 2014, 06:54 AM

These don't appear to have an elastic - ask the seller, though:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SilkyCocoon

AlexDig
October 27th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I also have fine/thing frizzy hair so I feel your pain! I also do a "pineapple" before bed but I use several small claw clips and use them to keep my hair piled on top of my head. I'm a light sleeper so I can't really have anything in the way and this way keeps everything up and doesn't bother me. I don't put anything in my hair before bed but I'll use s mister bottle filled with water, aloe Vera gel, a tiny amount of argan oil, and some rose water for a yummy smell to revive the curls in the morning. I get them pretty wet so it takes a while to dry but they come out fairly nice for at least a couple days in a row. I also use a satin pillowcase which helps keep the frizziness at bay.

mamaherrera
October 27th, 2014, 12:20 PM
OK I don't even really need to post pictures. Obviously it was the braid, I forced myself to try the pineapple/silk bonnet (mine that I own and took out half the elastic)> Besides my kinked neck (I"m so not used to sleeping with all my hair up on my head (:-) But I can't complain about the volume, it's there, that is the secret, then, I didn't really believe that much in how pineappling was important. but it is. I don't know if I'll buy into it, if my neck doesn't get used to this, but at least I know it was the braid, and not just my failed curls!! Thanks all. They were less defined, but of course. What I don't get, and it interests me, is what AlexDig mentioned, the small clippies. Do you clip it all up with the ends falling down into your face, or like a bun, how do you do the clipping?? Any pics to show that, I would be interested, but like I said, I don't know if I can stand the weight or if my neck can get used to this. And thanks Kina---I think you come from a family like mine, where making fun of people is their way of teasing!!

Kina
October 27th, 2014, 05:09 PM
So, I can't find anything online to demonstrate what I mean by clipping the hair, so I'll do my best to describe it.

1. Moisten hair with a spray bottle

2. oil my hands, about 3 drops. I like almond oil, it's light and doesn't weigh my hair down. It's also good for all over body moisterizing.

3. about a quarter size of gel.

4. 4 or 5 sections around my hairline get lightly twisted and clipped in the way I want my hair to fall the next day

5. Flip my hair over, gather the length into a bun shape. I don't twist the hair as it will release the curl. I clip that mass to the crown of my head, loosely. I often use 2 since I've gotten to this length, less pulling. I use regular octopus type clips, easily available.

In total, I often sleep with about 5-7 clips in my hair, ~5 little ones for the front, and 2 large ones holding the length.

mamaherrera
October 28th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Wow- I did pretty much understand that, but I don't know if I could sleep with all that. I'm glad it works for you! Thanks Kina!

So, I can't find anything online to demonstrate what I mean by clipping the hair, so I'll do my best to describe it.

1. Moisten hair with a spray bottle

2. oil my hands, about 3 drops. I like almond oil, it's light and doesn't weigh my hair down. It's also good for all over body moisterizing.

3. about a quarter size of gel.

4. 4 or 5 sections around my hairline get lightly twisted and clipped in the way I want my hair to fall the next day

5. Flip my hair over, gather the length into a bun shape. I don't twist the hair as it will release the curl. I clip that mass to the crown of my head, loosely. I often use 2 since I've gotten to this length, less pulling. I use regular octopus type clips, easily available.

In total, I often sleep with about 5-7 clips in my hair, ~5 little ones for the front, and 2 large ones holding the length.

mamaherrera
October 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Last night, I tried to do a "PLOP" with my silk scarf, a big square one. But. . . . it came off in the night, that would be so perfect for me, it's almost a pony, but not and I got my volume and maintained my curls. . . . but how do I keep the darn thing on?