PDA

View Full Version : Which oils are ok to use in the winter?

LadyCelestina
October 26th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I'm talking about freezing weather. I guess coconut oil is about as damaging as going out with wet hair,because of it solidifying.
Anyway what happens to oils on hair in the freezing weather? Are they even safe to use? Is it better to use silicones or even nothing at all?

Nadine <3
October 26th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I don't think coconut oil in the winter is damaging unless you're hair has a ton slathered in it...I doubt a pea sized amount used as a leave in withh harm your hair, maybe make it slightly stiff of show up slightly white. I would think just returning back inside would melt the oil again and you'd be fine. For winter, if you're worried about using coconut you could mix coconut with another oil like olive or any other oil that doesn't solidify. You could use any hair oil you like that doesn't solidify, or yes you could use cones. If your hair likes them they're not bad, but if you're hair doesn't like them it wouldn't be worth it.

kganihanova
October 26th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I like olive oil and coconut oil for the winter. Personally, I don't do cones but it's up to you.

darklyndsea
October 26th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Is coconut oil an observed problem, or only a hypothesized one? I know that it's solid at room temperature in my apartment, and that at least some of my hair is room temperature, but I've never had a problem with it. Why would being even further below its freezing point make a difference?

lapushka
October 26th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I stick to sweet almond oil and mineral oil year round. I don't go out much in freezing temperatures, so coconut oil would be safe with me. I have it but stopped using it, because I like the other oils better (no particular reason why).

maegalcarwen
October 27th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Don't do coconut oil, trust me;) You are safe with basically anything that is liquid at the temperature you are at ( jojoba, olive, almond etc etc)

11eleven
October 27th, 2014, 05:48 AM
I've used coconut oil for winters and have never had any problems. In fact, winter is when I slather it on most and spend most of winter with fully oiled hair. I wear my hair oiled in protective styles, either bunned or braided and usually wear a hat over the bun but when I wear two braids they are exposed.

veryhairyfairy
October 27th, 2014, 08:04 AM
What 11eleven said. :agree:

Unless you are talking about getting your hair dripping wet with coconut oil, there's no way it could damage your hair on its own. :)

Anje
October 27th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Coconut oil shouldn't actually be bad, even if you did use a lot and it solidified in your hair. It's not like water freezing where it expands and has some potential to rupture things.

But yeah, a lot of people like to switch to oils that stay liquid in their bathroom in the winter. (Coconut oil is typically semi-solid for me in the summer as well, so I don't fully understand the distinction.)

goldenears
October 27th, 2014, 09:35 AM
If you're worried about raw coconut oil being a potential problem, perhaps try fractionated coconut oil i.e capric/caprylic triglycerides.

LadyCelestina
October 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Thank you guys for your replies,it's all very helpful.I guess I'll skip the coconut oil anyway and stick to I don't know,olive or mineral.

gustavonut
October 29th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Avocado oil is what I've been doing lately. What I do sometimes is once I get out of the shower, I put avocado on my ends and then a little bit of Jamaican black castor oil on the ends as well. It works for me pretty well. Dries normally.

LadyCelestina
October 29th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Sounds good.When I had castor oil,I also liked to use it over a lighter oil,gives a great sort of soft slip,doesn't it?

raudr
October 29th, 2014, 06:48 PM
If you're really worried, I would recommend using it when your hair is still slightly damp, and making sure it's brushed/combed through. But even so, as long as it's not in globs I don't see the problem.