PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect choices made my hair worse!

goldenears
October 25th, 2014, 05:55 PM
For the past 2-3 years I've been desperately searching for the "miracle" products that will give me perfectly conditioned hair whilst it grows out. I consider my hair to be normal/dry, straight with a bit of wave, fine textured and high density. I don't use heat tools and wash it every 3-4 days or sooner depending on my laziness. I honestly thought that products formulated for dry/damaged hair would be the correct option for me. I would pre-shampoo with coconut oil, cleanse with rich conditioning shampoo's and more often than not I would follow with either a very rich conditioning mask or perhaps a protein treatment and then a hair mask. Then, when it was damp, I would put some sort of silicone serum or oil in and allow it to air dry. I'm a guy and my hair is short so it dries fairly quickly. Following this routine and using these products I had okay hair. It was never right somehow, despite using "holy grail" products and I couldn't figure out why. I mentioned this to my best friend and she said that I might be unintentionally damaging it and causing build up because my hair doesn't need all that. Well, me being me, I decided I knew better and continued doing what I was doing. My hair continued to stay the same and never improved so I decided to take my friends advice. I changed over to a sulphate free shampoo and combined that with a basic conditioner with no silicone and one protein at the bottom of the ingredient list so practically protein free (Pureology Precious Oil) and opted to use a tiny amount of pure Argan Oil as a leave-in. Guess what? My hair is the best it has ever looked and felt, and it seems to be improving slightly with each wash. My friend actually said it's the best she's ever seen it and also that it looks like the texture has changed. Even the shininess looks different (if that makes any sense) and there are fewer random hairs going astray. The brittleness on the ends is still there but it's nowhere near as bad as before. I just wanted to share this with anyone in case it might be of help. I know it's a cliché... but less is more!

Kiwiwi
October 25th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Good for you! :)
I'm glad you found a way that makes you and your hair happy!

I think this is a wavy/curly problem. We think our hair is dry so we buy products for dry/damaged hair. They are often loaded with protein and more often than not, wavy and especially curly hair doesn't like protein that often and just becomes even more dry. So we use more. Haha, been there!

I now only use protein like once a month, or less. And I use argan oil as a leave in too and my hair loves it :D

goldenears
October 25th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Good for you! :)
I'm glad you found a way that makes you and your hair happy!

I think this is a wavy/curly problem. We think our hair is dry so we buy products for dry/damaged hair. They are often loaded with protein and more often than not, wavy and especially curly hair doesn't like protein that often and just becomes even more dry. So we use more. Haha, been there!

I now only use protein like once a month, or less. And I use argan oil as a leave in too and my hair loves it :D

Hi Kiwiwi :)

Thanks for your reply and kind words, this is me right now :joy:

I agree with you, unless the hair is very damaged then protein isn't necessary all the time.
Out of interest, what do you use for your monthly protein?

Argan Oil is awesome. I'm amazed at how little of it is actually needed. When I purchased it, I thought the bottle was quite small (59ml/2 fl oz) for the price I paid but now I know how much is used each time, there's no way I'll use it up anytime soon. I reckon I'll probably have quite a lot left when it expires in Oct'15.

Chocowalnut
October 25th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Awesome! Glad you found a good routine, it is hard to do so.

goldenears
October 25th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Awesome! Glad you found a good routine, it is hard to do so.

Thanks Chocowalnut. I've spent a fortune on products over the last couple of years, I dread to think of how much!
Pureology is a bit expensive but I don't mind paying for it tbh, it works and we all deserve a few treats now and then.

Madora
October 25th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Congratulations, goldenears. Your girlfriend was right. "Less is more" is :magic:

goldenears
October 25th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Congratulations, goldenears. Your girlfriend was right. "Less is more" is :magic:

Thanks Madora, I wish I'd learnt this sooner. I suppose the good thing is that I won't spend years and years wasting money and continually trying things that aren't suitable for me. That's it now, I'm done! I know what works for me and I will stick to using them. I might email Pureology and ask them to NEVER discontinue the Precious Oil range. :pray:

IAgal
October 25th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Kiwiwi, your hair is absolutely gorgeous!! do you mind sharing your routine? such as what shampoo and conditioner and products after that -that you use? any styling tips and how often do you wash,etc?!

Alexa
October 25th, 2014, 11:33 PM
goldenears, I think it's great that you have found a system that's working for you! With fine hair, my guess is that sulfates, silicones, and over-moisturizing were more to blame for your past problems than protein. In general, it is the texture of your hair, not how curly or straight it is, that determines what kind of care your hair needs. Fine hair generally doesn't need much moisture, but loves protein. It's kind of the opposite with coarse hair. While too much protein can be bad for anyone, my fine hair can't seem to get enough! Over time, you might consider experimenting with just protein to see if your hair really is sensitive to it, or if your problems were caused by other factors. It would give you better knowledge of which ingredients you really need to avoid.

goldenears
October 25th, 2014, 11:58 PM
goldenears, I think it's great that you have found a system that's working for you! With fine hair, my guess is that sulfates, silicones, and over-moisturizing were more to blame for your past problems than protein. In general, it is the texture of your hair, not how curly or straight it is, that determines what kind of care your hair needs. Fine hair generally doesn't need much moisture, but loves protein. It's kind of the opposite with coarse hair. While too much protein can be bad for anyone, my fine hair can't seem to get enough! Over time, you might consider experimenting with just protein to see if your hair really is sensitive to it, or if your problems were caused by other factors. It would give you better knowledge of which ingredients you really need to avoid.

Hi Alexa, Thanks for your comment.

Although sulphates didn't cause any scalp problems, they do strip my hair and make it feel like it has been washed with dishwashing soap but I knew I needed them to remove the silicone. Of course, the silicone was way too much and it caused my hair to feel way too soft and limp, and then a day or two later my hair was super greasy! A sort of vicious cycle except I didn't reap the benefits of silicone, so it was a damaging cycle.
In regards to the protein, it does seem to make a difference to my hair, it adds body and it gives the illusion of thickness but tbh my hair is of a high density anyway so the additional protein is too much. My hair ends up with too much body and feels rough and under conditioned in the days after washing it. I honestly don't think I need protein atm, however, if my hair becomes damaged in future then I will definitely consider incorporating it into my routine. I am nervous about experimenting because I don't want to ruin my hair and end up back to square one. I feel like the routine I have atm is working any additional ingredients or products will mess it up. Why try to fix something that isn't broke?

Johannah
October 26th, 2014, 03:43 AM
It took me a while as well to know what my hair wants, especially since I reached waist. Congratulations with finding a routine!

~*~Aspen~*~
October 26th, 2014, 04:13 AM
I agree. My hair hates product build up , weigh down, balanced moisture, dry prone, knotted curls, and tangle frizz straight, likes a little oil, not too much oil, doesn't keep protein in/on it, and hates frequent touching, handling, or washing.

;)

sarahthegemini
October 26th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Hi Kiwiwi :)

Thanks for your reply and kind words, this is me right now :joy:

I agree with you, unless the hair is very damaged then protein isn't necessary all the time.
Out of interest, what do you use for your monthly protein?

Argan Oil is awesome. I'm amazed at how little of it is actually needed. When I purchased it, I thought the bottle was quite small (59ml/2 fl oz) for the price I paid but now I know how much is used each time, there's no way I'll use it up anytime soon. I reckon I'll probably have quite a lot left when it expires in Oct'15.

Just throwing it out there, but my hair isn't particularly damaged at all, well aside from a bit of mechanical, and my hair thrives with protein. After every wash I use a protein leave in conditioner. I think protein gets a bad name and I've no idea why. Oh and my hair is wavy ...

Zebra Fish
October 26th, 2014, 07:19 AM

My hair is really fine and can't stand proteins. So I would not conclude for the whole hair type, but more say that is individual. Trial and error goes here, my guess...

Alexa
October 26th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I agree with everyone who has said or implied that finding the right products for your hair, even if they differ from what's expected, is the goal. If your hair is fine and hates protein, that might be unusual, but not wrong, of course! I also agree with sarahthegemini that protein seems to get a bad name when people aren't always sure what it's purpose is in hair care. Here's an article (http://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/2011/09/protein-friend-or-foe.html) I like on the subject. I just wasn't sure if you had ever tried protein in isolation from the other ingredients that were likely causing you problems, goldenears, and thought it might be worth a shot as they do such wonderful things for my fine hair. :shrug:

lapushka
October 26th, 2014, 12:12 PM
If you have to wash your hair every 3/4 days, doesn't sound to me that that's dry, more like oily hair.

goldenears
October 26th, 2014, 10:55 PM
If you have to wash your hair every 3/4 days, doesn't sound to me that that's dry, more like oily hair.

Maybe I'm wrong but my understanding was that hair that needs washing everyday or every other day is oily hair?. Every 3-4 days is normal hair, isn't it?
I hate the term normal, what I actually mean is balanced. Lately though it hasn't felt dry at all, just ever so slightly brittle in the fringe area on the ends.

goldenears
October 26th, 2014, 11:24 PM
It took me a while as well to know what my hair wants, especially since I reached waist. Congratulations with finding a routine!

Thanks Johannah :toast:

goldenears
October 26th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Just throwing it out there, but my hair isn't particularly damaged at all, well aside from a bit of mechanical, and my hair thrives with protein. After every wash I use a protein leave in conditioner. I think protein gets a bad name and I've no idea why. Oh and my hair is wavy ...

Hi sarahthegemini

On my hair, protein builds up really quickly and gives my hair a sort of rough, coarse feeling. I think this happens because my hair, although fine in texture, is strong and of a medium porosity.

milque
October 27th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Goldenears, I totally agree with you on less is more. Good job for finding a routine that works :)

My hair is coarse and have damage on the bottom half so in my case I need the cones. I was silicone free for awhile, but I used to load my hair with oils, leave-ins and deep treatments. My hair got drier and drier progressively. Now I've switched back to cones (but in controlled amounts) and no oils or leave-ins. I DT every month, and clarify every two months. Sometimes I use conditioners that have protein. Needless to say the condition of my hair has very much improved ever since.

lapushka
October 27th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but my understanding was that hair that needs washing everyday or every other day is oily hair?. Every 3-4 days is normal hair, isn't it?
I hate the term normal, what I actually mean is balanced. Lately though it hasn't felt dry at all, just ever so slightly brittle in the fringe area on the ends.

Nope. Dry is 2-weeks / a month normal is a week, anything less is oily. In my understanding, at least.

goldenears
October 27th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Nope. Dry is 2-weeks / a month normal is a week, anything less is oily. In my understanding, at least.

Thanks lapushka, I appreciate the clarification. :hollie:

nikolette
October 27th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Goldenears, thats great! I totally feel for you! I have spent (still spending) so much money on shampoos, conditioners, treatments, oils etc in the search for the right products for my hair. I look forward to the day I finally figure it out lol!!!

Let us know how the routine holds up :)

goldenears
October 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Goldenears, thats great! I totally feel for you! I have spent (still spending) so much money on shampoos, conditioners, treatments, oils etc in the search for the right products for my hair. I look forward to the day I finally figure it out lol!!!

Let us know how the routine holds up :)

I can relate nikolette, I sincerely hope your search ends soon! It can be so frustrating and costly.

Are there any ingredients/products that you have found which work on your hair and have become staples in your routine?

swearnsue
October 27th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Just a side note about Argan Oil. It can also be used as a facial moisturizer. Just put a little on your face and neck at night before bed. Men should take care of their skin too!

I consider my hair fairly dry but I can't quite make it a week between shampoos. I could if I didn't do scalp massage though. That brings out the oils I guess.

goldenears
October 27th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Just a side note about Argan Oil. It can also be used as a facial moisturizer. Just put a little on your face and neck at night before bed. Men should take care of their skin too!

I consider my hair fairly dry but I can't quite make it a week between shampoos. I could if I didn't do scalp massage though. That brings out the oils I guess.

I don't bother looking after my skin tbh and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it on my face, I break out when oil gets on my skin.